2017/2016 lg oled hdr game mode - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 307 Old 12-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Member
 
Graff Vynda-K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Isn't HDR a spec? I guess I don't understand how this problem even exists. (I'm assuming other TV's don't have this "dim-HDR-mode" problem..?)
Graff Vynda-K is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 307 Old 12-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 430
It’s not a problem. It’s just how LG have chosen to tone map their game mode. It’s working as they intend it to work. For those who want a brighter image just turn dynamic contrast on as they suggest and chuck it in wide colour gamut. It looks just like it did before they changed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
brahby, nodixe and Graff Vynda-K like this.
Andrew Stirling is online now  
post #183 of 307 Old 12-05-2017, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
fcwdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by looloo86 View Post
Since it seems like there is not a fix at the moment, is there a way to disable the update reminder that pops up every time you turn on the TV?
You can block the LG servers in your router. I don't recall the specific host names at the moment (sne.lg.com or something like that, google on it), but I was able to do this before I updated to the latest (to try to solve other issues).
fcwdev is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #184 of 307 Old 12-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
UPDATES:
snu.lge.com
su.lge.com
lge.com
patrck744 is offline  
post #185 of 307 Old 12-14-2017, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dabois09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I don't understand the dim complaints - I have a 55" E7 and it's plenty bright in a dark environment (almost too bright).
Dabois09 is offline  
post #186 of 307 Old 12-14-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post
I don't understand the dim complaints - I have a 55" E7 and it's plenty bright in a dark environment (almost too bright).
It can be very dim and punchless on games that don't have HDR Brightness adjustments in the game's settings. Especially compared to how HDR Game Mode looked before they changed the tone mapping. Or, if you just turn off HDR mode on the game and play it in SDR, you will see a pretty significant difference in brightness on many games. COD WWII and Horizon immediately come to mind.

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #187 of 307 Old 12-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dabois09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
It can be very dim and punchless on games that don't have HDR Brightness adjustments in the game's settings. Especially compared to how HDR Game Mode looked before they changed the tone mapping. Or, if you just turn off HDR mode on the game and play it in SDR, you will see a pretty significant difference in brightness on many games. COD WWII and Horizon immediately come to mind.
Horizon Zero Dawn looks great on my set? I guess most are coming from LEDs and were spoiled with over the top light cannons.

I came from Plasma and am thrilled.
nodixe likes this.
Dabois09 is offline  
post #188 of 307 Old 12-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 20
we get it .. game mode is dimmer. But cant you just switch to another mode with all the processing off, that would essentially mean game mode anyway.
glassbil is offline  
post #189 of 307 Old 12-14-2017, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbil View Post
we get it .. game mode is dimmer. But cant you just switch to another mode with all the processing off, that would essentially mean game mode anyway.
Nope I wish, anything outside of game mode even with everything off still has way more lag.
Adamd is offline  
post #190 of 307 Old 12-14-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post
Horizon Zero Dawn looks great on my set? I guess most are coming from LEDs and were spoiled with over the top light cannons.

I came from Plasma and am thrilled.
I've never owned an LCD other than as monitors. I'm coming from Panny Plasma. It has nothing to do with light cannons. HDR Game Mode is dimmer than it was before the update, and it's dimmer than SDR Game Mode on the same game. That's all I'm saying.

Many games have HDR Brightness controls now, so it's not that bad. I do appreciate that highlights are preserved better. Destiny 2 on PC in HDR looks fantastic. Probably on console as well, but I stopped playing the console version when PC came out, so I can't verify. Can't look at 30fps after seeing uncapped frames. COD WWII looks good, now, because they added HDR Bright controls in the retail game. In the beta it did not and I can tell you that maps that look bright and sunny in SDR looked like it was dreary and overcast in HDR. That's just a fact. Horizon doesn't look as good as it did before the update unless you use DC, which I don't do, and shouldn't have to.

If it looks great to you, that's great, but if you had seen the same games before the update, there is no way that you could not immediately notice the difference in terms of dimness. Whether that is a good or bad thing, I'll leave up to the individual.

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #191 of 307 Old 12-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dabois09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
I've never owned an LCD other than as monitors. I'm coming from Panny Plasma. It has nothing to do with light cannons. HDR Game Mode is dimmer than it was before the update, and it's dimmer than SDR Game Mode on the same game. That's all I'm saying.

Many games have HDR Brightness controls now, so it's not that bad. I do appreciate that highlights are preserved better. Destiny 2 on PC in HDR looks fantastic. Probably on console as well, but I stopped playing the console version when PC came out, so I can't verify. Can't look at 30fps after seeing uncapped frames. COD WWII looks good, now, because they added HDR Bright controls in the retail game. In the beta it did not and I can tell you that maps that look bright and sunny in SDR looked like it was dreary and overcast in HDR. That's just a fact. Horizon doesn't look as good as it did before the update unless you use DC, which I don't do, and shouldn't have to.

If it looks great to you, that's great, but if you had seen the same games before the update, there is no way that you could not immediately notice the difference in terms of dimness. Whether that is a good or bad thing, I'll leave up to the individual.
Why doesn't HZD include a calibration slider?
Dabois09 is offline  
post #192 of 307 Old 12-14-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post
Why doesn't HZD include a calibration slider?
Wish I knew and wish it did lol. I don't think there is a TV other LG OLEDs that has this dim HDR Game Mode Situation, so maybe it isn't on their radar. Sony is also pretty aggressive in their tone mapping to preserve brightness over detail on their A1E, so again it may just not be something they are thinking about.

It looked much different, and better IMO, before the update. Even with DC on High, it's not in the same category. DC can brighten the image, but the range seems to narrow with blacks becoming a little less black across the board, so the end result isn't as... dynamic, despite the name of the feature. HZD is the worst offender, though, as most games look good still, even if they don't look the same as before the update. With HDR controls though, it's almost moot in most cases.

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #193 of 307 Old 12-15-2017, 12:09 AM
Senior Member
 
nodixe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Wish I knew and wish it did lol. I don't think there is a TV other LG OLEDs that has this dim HDR Game Mode Situation, so maybe it isn't on their radar. Sony is also pretty aggressive in their tone mapping to preserve brightness over detail on their A1E, so again it may just not be something they are thinking about.

It looked much different, and better IMO, before the update. Even with DC on High, it's not in the same category. DC can brighten the image, but the range seems to narrow with blacks becoming a little less black across the board, so the end result isn't as... dynamic, despite the name of the feature. HZD is the worst offender, though, as most games look good still, even if they don't look the same as before the update. With HDR controls though, it's almost moot in most cases.
When I got my b6 it had the old HDR game mode but only for about 30hrs and I didn't use it that much so I didn't notice a big change in brightness. I do recall playing DeusEx mankind divided and after looking at the sky in the intro level and thinking "wow they improved it". Not everyone would agree with me but I much prefer the current HDR game mode and would hate to lose it. I play in a pitch black room, I never use dynamic contrast, and I always leave in game brightness settings at default (unless they have quality hdr controls) and 'for me' its plenty bright. The only thing that satisfies both sides is choice = 2 HDR game modes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
nodixe is offline  
post #194 of 307 Old 12-15-2017, 02:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
It can be very dim and punchless on games that don't have HDR Brightness adjustments in the game's settings. Especially compared to how HDR Game Mode looked before they changed the tone mapping. Or, if you just turn off HDR mode on the game and play it in SDR, you will see a pretty significant difference in brightness on many games. COD WWII and Horizon immediately come to mind.
That's on the B6 I suppose because on the C7 it always been the same and it looks brighter then the B6.
Achillias is offline  
post #195 of 307 Old 12-15-2017, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
That's on the B6 I suppose because on the C7 it always been the same and it looks brighter then the B6.
I don't have a B6 I have an E6.

There are many threads and news articles (and petitions) dedicated to how it does NOT look the same... so... yeah...

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #196 of 307 Old 12-15-2017, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixe View Post
When I got my b6 it had the old HDR game mode but only for about 30hrs and I didn't use it that much so I didn't notice a big change in brightness. I do recall playing DeusEx mankind divided and after looking at the sky in the intro level and thinking "wow they improved it". Not everyone would agree with me but I much prefer the current HDR game mode and would hate to lose it. I play in a pitch black room, I never use dynamic contrast, and I always leave in game brightness settings at default (unless they have quality hdr controls) and 'for me' its plenty bright. The only thing that satisfies both sides is choice = 2 HDR game modes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I play in the dark too, btw, but even on SDR, I have my OLED light at 100. I like that emissive displays can have their cake and eat it too (ABL notwithstanding...).

Like I said, I do appreciate that highlights aren't blown out, but the fact of the matter is that this is a TV that isn't capable of achieving more than around 700 nits of brightness, AND it has ABL to contend with. Compromises are going to have to be made with HDR because you're dealing with 1000 nit content at a minimum.

LG seems to have chosen to compromise brightness at all costs and go with complete accuracy. That's one approach. Right or wrong? Not really a right or wrong kind of deal since there aren't even any standards, really, I guess. Opinions will differ. I'm of the opinion that they should be less rigid in their tone mapping and shoot more for what the art director intended you to experience on the screen, rather than give you the exact ratio when you convert what the art director was working with to what your display can actually do. I do like accuracy, but in the end, scaling 1000 - 4000 nit content to a 700 nit panel isn't really "accurate."

This is a game by game thing for me. Even with the change, some games still look stunning. Destiny 2 looks fantastic. Now, I've never seen Destiny 2 with the old FW, so maybe I'd think it looks even more fantastic. Only way to know would be to downgrade my FW, but I haven't gotten to the point where I need to go that route. Again though, it looks great now.

Then there are the other cases like Horizon. Perfect example. Early in the campaign, the player, as Aloy, sees outside for the first time and you're greeted by sun drenched fields. Looking at the sun, it's super bright. Makes you squint. It's quite the spectacle. Now when you compare that on the new and old FW, you see the issue for and against. Which is better? Old FW, you look at the sky when it's clear skies and the suns at its peak, and you see a super bright sun that gives you the kind of feeling you get when you see the sun in real life. New FW, now you look at that same scene, you see the sun, it isn't anywhere near as bright, it's just kind of there looking like a gray globe, but you look around the sky near it and you say "oh ish, I didn't know that there were this many clouds in the sky, as the ones near the sun just kind of got washed out to the point that they had no distinction."

So I see their dilemma. Is it better for the viewer to have that wow moment, even if they can't see everything they are supposed to be seeing, or is it better to let them see every last detail that's on the screen, even if it's rendered kind of bland, clinical, and sterile? It's a tough question. I wish they met more in the middle, than they did, personally. Or, at least have more options like they do for their other HDR modes. At the end of the day, when the art team worked on that scene, yes, they actually rendered all those wisps of clouds, so they want you to see them, but I have to believe that they also wanted you to be floored by the majesty of the moment as well. I tend to lean towards, if your display is compromised in being able to translate exactly what the nit level of the content was graded at, that what they want you to experience from an HDR presentation is a bit more important, than preserving every nook and cranny of what is actually displayed, just for accuracy's sake.

My take.

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #197 of 307 Old 12-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
I don't have a B6 I have an E6.

There are many threads and news articles (and petitions) dedicated to how it does NOT look the same... so... yeah...
The point is the 6 range looks dimmer than the 7 series OLEDS regarding games.
Achillias is offline  
post #198 of 307 Old 12-15-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
The point is the 6 range looks dimmer than the 7 series OLEDS regarding games.
True, but there are many 7 Series owners that noticed the HDR Game Mode dimming after their update as well. Not as dim as the 6 Series most likely, but then the 7 Series is a little brighter and has less aggressive ABL in the first place, so not surprising, nor am I disputing that. Just disputing that nothing changed at all on the 7 Series sets.

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #199 of 307 Old 12-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So where did those stories came from that gaming on the LG OLEDS 7 series looks dim? Are you guys blind. It's so ridiculous bright if you change the settings properly.
Achillias is offline  
post #200 of 307 Old 12-16-2017, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,724
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
So where did those stories came from that gaming on the LG OLEDS 7 series looks dim? Are you guys blind. It's so ridiculous bright if you change the settings properly.
1) what?s your firmware?
2) what are your settings?
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #201 of 307 Old 12-16-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Just got my C7 and have a question regarding HDMI Black level. Whats better for SDR? PS4 set to limited and TV set to LOW, or PS4 set to RGB (auto) and TV set to HIGH?
sd13 is online now  
post #202 of 307 Old 12-16-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,724
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Just got my C7 and have a question regarding HDMI Black level. Whats better for SDR? PS4 set to limited and TV set to LOW, or PS4 set to RGB (auto) and TV set to HIGH?
should be the same effect, but i always go black level low and limited ps4.
sd13 likes this.
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #203 of 307 Old 12-16-2017, 03:14 PM
Member
 
tones3311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbil View Post
we get it .. game mode is dimmer. But cant you just switch to another mode with all the processing off, that would essentially mean game mode anyway.
Nope I wish, anything outside of game mode even with everything off still has way more lag.
I always just play in standard HDR mode for gaming. I never notice the lag and I play first person shooters, mainly destiny. Must be because I came from a 10 year old Sony 60hz LCD.
tones3311 is offline  
post #204 of 307 Old 12-17-2017, 04:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
How to set up HDR for PC gaming on LG B6? Windows 10 HDR makes colors washed out

TLDR: Which is the best option to play games with my LG B6 on PC at [email protected]: RGB Full, YCbCr 444, or YCbCr 442?

Hello everyone, I am having trouble setting up HDR with my TV.

My TV is an LG B6 OLED, and I've got it connected to my PC with two GeForce 980 Ti's in SLi on Windows 10 64bit (All graphics drivers and windows updates are up to date). I have set all my B6's HDMI ports to allow a full color range in the TV General settings. My HDMI cable is capable of [email protected] output, it's an AmazonBasics 15 ft cable.

In the Nvidia Control Panel, under Display>Change Resolution, I have the option to change color output, format, and range.

At [email protected] I have the option to select up to RGB 8bpc Full dynamic range, or YCbCr 4:4:4 8bpc Limited dynamic range, or YCbCr 4:4:2 8bpc Limited dynamic range.

I have read that YCbCr 444 is the best choice, however, in the nvidia control panel, only Limited output dynamic range is selectable and Full is not available to click. This causes my blacks to not be true black (ie. with all the lights off in the dark my TV should appear to be off, since it is OLED, but instead is almost pure black).

When I choose RGB 8bpc Full dynamic range, the colours appear better, and also my TV's blacks are true black (ie. the TV looks completely switched off when displaying a pure black image in a dark room).

The problem is when using RGB, I am unable to switch on HDR in Windows 10 settings under Settings>System>Display. Also, when I use YCbCr and switch on HDR in windows settings, the colours become completely washed out, and the screen becomes tinted slightly blue-ish.

Could someone tell me what's the right settings to use when PC gaming on an LG B6?

Thank you very much.
BismarckZero is offline  
post #205 of 307 Old 12-19-2017, 06:03 AM
Senior Member
 
fcwdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
I play in the dark too, btw, but even on SDR, I have my OLED light at 100. I like that emissive displays can have their cake and eat it too (ABL notwithstanding...).

...

This is a game by game thing for me. Even with the change, some games still look stunning. Destiny 2 looks fantastic. Now, I've never seen Destiny 2 with the old FW, so maybe I'd think it looks even more fantastic. Only way to know would be to downgrade my FW, but I haven't gotten to the point where I need to go that route. Again though, it looks great now.

Then there are the other cases like Horizon. Perfect example. Early in the campaign, the player, as Aloy, sees outside for the first time and you're greeted by sun drenched fields. Looking at the sun, it's super bright. Makes you squint. It's quite the spectacle. Now when you compare that on the new and old FW, you see the issue for and against. Which is better? Old FW, you look at the sky when it's clear skies and the suns at its peak, and you see a super bright sun that gives you the kind of feeling you get when you see the sun in real life. New FW, now you look at that same scene, you see the sun, it isn't anywhere near as bright, it's just kind of there looking like a gray globe, but you look around the sky near it and you say "oh ish, I didn't know that there were this many clouds in the sky, as the ones near the sun just kind of got washed out to the point that they had no distinction."

...
Great summary of the issue with old and new firmware. When you refer to Destiny 2 looking good are you using dynamic contrast on high?
fcwdev is offline  
post #206 of 307 Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwdev View Post
Great summary of the issue with old and new firmware. When you refer to Destiny 2 looking good are you using dynamic contrast on high?
I don't use DC at all for anything. Destiny 2 looks fantastic with no DC at all. The whole game looks fantastic, but in particular, the very beginning of the campaign when the lights are out and the tower is on fire, looks super impressive.

Now, not sure that this makes a difference, but I'm playing Destiny 2 on the PC in HDR. I have it for PS4 Pro also, but I have not played the console version since the PC version came out, and the console version just got HDR support last week, so I've never seen HDR on the console version as of yet. It may be exactly the same, or it may be different. Not sure. No real desire to see the console version and the 30fps either, but I imagine I'll eventually try it out.

All I can say for sure is that on PC, which has HDR brightness controls btw, I'll assume the console version does as well, but don't know that for a fact, but on PC when the HDR brightness is adjusted properly, it looks amazing. No DC needed.

This is on a 65" E6P, for the record.

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
post #207 of 307 Old 12-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BismarckZero View Post
The problem is when using RGB, I am unable to switch on HDR in Windows 10 settings under Settings>System>Display. Also, when I use YCbCr and switch on HDR in windows settings, the colours become completely washed out, and the screen becomes tinted slightly blue-ish.

Could someone tell me what's the right settings to use when PC gaming on an LG B6?

Thank you very much.
For any YCbCr settings you have to set the TV black level to low. The option is somewhere in the picture setting menus and submenus. This will fix the washed out blacks. You can set the color temperature there to a warmish setting. I too remember, getting a bluish tint with HDR/SDR Game mode default settings (which were around C15, whereas I have now set it to around W10)

As for the 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 selection, I always use 4:4:4 in PC mode. The desktop fonts otherwise don't look correct. 4:4:4 however limits you to 8bit pixel format (because of the HDMI 2.0 specs). However HDR mode still gets engaged correctly. The display driver (Radeon) or the TV must be transforming 4:4:4 8bit to 4:2:2 10 bit in HDR applications.
NomanA is offline  
post #208 of 307 Old 12-21-2017, 03:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Tapidlittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone has tried the new version 4.70.36?

I will try it this afternoon and let you know if there is any difference in game mode.
Tapidlittle is offline  
post #209 of 307 Old 12-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Tapidlittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapidlittle View Post
Anyone has tried the new version 4.70.36?

I will try it this afternoon and let you know if there is any difference in game mode.
I just tried version 4.70.36 and see no difference in game mode.
Adamd and ShayeScott like this.
Tapidlittle is offline  
post #210 of 307 Old 01-02-2018, 03:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the LG C7 55 inc. I am too experiencing the dim brightness of game mode. It does get on my nerves slightly that I don't have the best possible look when playing games as I feel I am missing out on the true intended look of HDR.

However, it does seem people have put colour as 55. The default on HDR game mode is 65 on my TV? I've noticed bringing it down to 55 or 50 makes it really dull. Vivid and normal make HorizonZD colours blown out. Colour 65 does make it less dull though. I didn't see much of a difference with dynamic contrast unless im blind?

Would this be resolved with professional calibration or I'm guessing it wouldn't be and would still be dull in game mode?
Jackal13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off