2017/2016 lg oled hdr game mode - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #211 of 307 Old 01-08-2018, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got a B7A for Christmas and it shipped with firmware 3.60.16. Is this firmware before they mucked up HDR game mode or am I already pass the point of no return?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 307 Old 01-08-2018, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal13 View Post
Would this be resolved with professional calibration or I'm guessing it wouldn't be and would still be dull in game mode?
I've had my C7 professionally calibrated, and can't ever say I've ever considered the HDR game mode (for both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X) dim or dull.
post #213 of 307 Old 01-11-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Just a tip for you all to try if you think the game mode is too dim: turn off ASBL,

Instructions here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...g-oled-tv.html

I was playing Witcher 3 on my C6 in HDR and it looked fantastic for a bit, but the ASBL would kick in like crazy and dim the picture to where it was killing shadow detail. With ASBL off, the picture is consistent and shadow detail is no longer crushed. Keep in mind I play in a light controlled environment so this won't help people in bright rooms, but it might help folks in darker environments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 307 Old 01-11-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfitzpatrick711 View Post
Just a tip for you all to try if you think the game mode is too dim: turn off ASBL,

Instructions here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...g-oled-tv.html

I was playing Witcher 3 on my C6 in HDR and it looked fantastic for a bit, but the ASBL would kick in like crazy and dim the picture to where it was killing shadow detail. With ASBL off, the picture is consistent and shadow detail is no longer crushed. Keep in mind I play in a light controlled environment so this won't help people in bright rooms, but it might help folks in darker environments.
Are you sure this works on the 2017 models? I tried adjusting but It did not make a difference.

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X
post #215 of 307 Old 01-11-2018, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Are you sure this works on the 2017 models? I tried adjusting but It did not make a difference.
I'm not, I only have a C6 to test unfortunately.
post #216 of 307 Old 01-13-2018, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznit93 View Post
The banding kicks in when you change your HDMI input mode to PC and launch some HDR content, at least on PS4 Pro.

I read that to get rid of banding when using PC input mode, you have to change Xbox or PS4 color range to PC RGB instead of TV Standard. About to try it.

I briefly tried PC mode and changed the preset to HDR Standard and noticed the input lag stayed super low so I’m hoping when I try changing Xbox One X settings to PC RGB color space that it removes banding. That would solve all my issues!
post #217 of 307 Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatJohann View Post
I read that to get rid of banding when using PC input mode, you have to change Xbox or PS4 color range to PC RGB instead of TV Standard. About to try it.

I briefly tried PC mode and changed the preset to HDR Standard and noticed the input lag stayed super low so I’m hoping when I try changing Xbox One X settings to PC RGB color space that it removes banding. That would solve all my issues!
I had same idea to use PC mode for gaming on xbox one x, but no, banding is there and is bad. A good test is mirrors edge first loading screen with city in background.
post #218 of 307 Old 01-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's too dim and it sucks. Even enabling high dynamic contrast it's still too dim. For example, Fifa 18 which does not have it's own hdr brightness setting looks HORRENDOUS. For the time being, all games look better with HDR disabled on my TV so I'm just gonna go with that. It's a shame and I don't think people making excuses for LG are helping the cause. I don't think anyone even complained about how it looked before so why did they bother touching it?
post #219 of 307 Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudig View Post
It's too dim and it sucks. Even enabling high dynamic contrast it's still too dim. For example, Fifa 18 which does not have it's own hdr brightness setting looks HORRENDOUS. For the time being, all games look better with HDR disabled on my TV so I'm just gonna go with that. It's a shame and I don't think people making excuses for LG are helping the cause. I don't think anyone even complained about how it looked before so why did they bother touching it?

Hi...I don’t suppose you’ve got dimming switched off in the service menu? I did this and it prevented dynamic contrast from working effectively on game mode. That aside....I use HDR game mode with dynamic contrast on high. Flicking between that and my calibrated HDR standard mode, I find the image to be pretty much indistinguishable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #220 of 307 Old 01-19-2018, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudig View Post
Who's making excuses? I sincerely prefer the current (dimmer but more acurate) HDR game mode and I would hate to lose it, but it sucks for people on the other side. LG really needs to implement a choice: game clipped and game mapped.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #221 of 307 Old 01-22-2018, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just got a 55SJ8500 LCD and I noticed the same issue with the HDR Game Mode... the image is highly undersaturated and dark, even when all settings are identical to "Standard Mode"- I took some photos to compare. (Attached to this post)

All of these images were taken with the same F1.8 and 1/60 exposure. It's very clear that Standard Mode looks great, but Game Mode loses significant detail. It's a damn shame. I just asked LG if they plan on fixing this. I'll post their response if I get one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG 55SJ8500 Game Mode Dark.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2349830  
post #222 of 307 Old 01-22-2018, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyfitz View Post
I just got a 55SJ8500 LCD and I noticed the same issue with the HDR Game Mode... the image is highly undersaturated and dark, even when all settings are identical to "Standard Mode"- I took some photos to compare. (Attached to this post)

All of these images were taken with the same F1.8 and 1/60 exposure. It's very clear that Standard Mode looks great, but Game Mode loses significant detail. It's a damn shame. I just asked LG if they plan on fixing this. I'll post their response if I get one.
I'll take HDR Game mode from those shots, look at how much detail it has compared to standard. On the images at the top left and right, I don't know what game title thats on the middle but you're losing a lot of detail in Standard in my opinion.

EDIT: Amplitude game
post #223 of 307 Old 01-22-2018, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrck744 View Post
I'll take HDR Game mode from those shots, look at how much detail it has compared to standard. On the images at the top left and right, I don't know what game title thats on the middle but you're losing a lot of detail in Standard in my opinion.

Not a pro photographer.... that's probably why it looks like that. Damn! All that effort and it just doesn't look like it does to the eye!
post #224 of 307 Old 01-27-2018, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyfitz View Post

Game mode looks better. Do you have dynamic contrast on or off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #225 of 307 Old 01-27-2018, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 962
2017/2016 lg oled hdr game mode

My only complaint with my c7 is the dim hdr game mode. Thinking of swapping it for an a1e or X930E to be honest despite loving everything else about the tv. Here is an example with medium dynamic contrast. High is brother but horrible artifacts and distorted colors. Color is decent on medium and a little brighter than dc off but still way too dim as you can see in the left hand side in this photo. Areas of the picture with sunlight are fine but any scene that is night time with low light or shade is just way too dim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X
post #226 of 307 Old 02-11-2018, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrck744 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuch88 View Post
Game mode looks better. Do you have dynamic contrast on or off?

Hi. I wonder what max nits those games that people with dim HDR mode are using. I noticed that Harry Potter auto dimmed with DC on in the darkest scenes and didn't recover, I.e. A possible bug. But Assassins Creed was fine. The former is 4000 nits. The latter is 1000. Wonder if the games are output at 4000 not target which would explain both the loss of highlights because HDR standard curve maxes out at 1000 and if there's a possible bug in HDR game when receiving 4000 nits
post #227 of 307 Old 02-11-2018, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
My only complaint with my c7 is the dim hdr game mode. Thinking of swapping it for an a1e or X930E to be honest despite loving everything else about the tv. Here is an example with medium dynamic contrast. High is brother but horrible artifacts and distorted colors. Color is decent on medium and a little brighter than dc off but still way too dim as you can see in the left hand side in this photo. Areas of the picture with sunlight are fine but any scene that is night time with low light or shade is just way too dim.

...so realistic then? Do you have an oppo 20x that can tell you the nits information?
post #228 of 307 Old 02-15-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 719
I have a 2016 E6.

For regular game mode and HDR game mode to get lowest input lag, do I need to make the picture for the hdmi input game console?

My hdmi input shares everything (cable, games, etc) all come through my AVR into hdmi 1. I didn?t know if making the icon a game console is necessary or messes anything up. Obviously I use different picture modes depending on the source.
post #229 of 307 Old 02-15-2018, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Hey

I have a B6 and currently play PUBG on Xbox One X. The input lag is horrible in this game. I'm playing in game mode and after reading your post I'm wondering if I can improve input lag by choosing PC mode. There is no PC mode though. Are you saying you go into the settings and change the icon for cable box, game console, etc. to PC? I'm not in front of my TV at the moment to check but I would do anything to improve input lag. I've disabled HDR for this game and its just game mode only but still very laggy.
post #230 of 307 Old 02-15-2018, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozer View Post
Hey

I have a B6 and currently play PUBG on Xbox One X. The input lag is horrible in this game. I'm playing in game mode and after reading your post I'm wondering if I can improve input lag by choosing PC mode. There is no PC mode though. Are you saying you go into the settings and change the icon for cable box, game console, etc. to PC? I'm not in front of my TV at the moment to check but I would do anything to improve input lag. I've disabled HDR for this game and its just game mode only but still very laggy.

Are you sure it’s not just the game?!

post #231 of 307 Old 02-15-2018, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Hey

Yeah you have to change the icon to PC on the input settings page.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #232 of 307 Old 02-15-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hey

Yeah but pc icon doesn?t work for hdr game right? I thought pc is no lower lag than game console icon.
post #233 of 307 Old 02-15-2018, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
So, a thing I noticed. Many of you have probably tried it but I think it helped a lot with shadow detail crushing, especially on HDR.

Leaving RGB range on PS4 at auto and leaving the TV on default (low) actually results a mismatch of settings on my 2017 LG Oled. By manually setting both to low resulted better shadow details. Still Dynamic Contrast to low or even medium is a good option to enable while HDR gaming.

I think it looks correct like this (Only Horizon and Resident Evil 7 as test material).
post #234 of 307 Old 02-16-2018, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Yeah but pc icon doesn?t work for hdr game right? I thought pc is no lower lag than game console icon.
To be clear, I heard that by changing the icon to PC, and staying in game mode, it somehow lowers input lag. This seems like it makes no sense. How would changing the icon to PC make input lag better?

This game has HORRIBLE input lag and I'm just trying to improve my input lag in any way I can, if thats possible.

I have turned off HDR, I do not use HDR game mode, just straight game mode in the interest of improving input lag as much as possible. I think the game has like 100ms input lag even before any TV comes into play.
post #235 of 307 Old 02-16-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To be clear, I heard that by changing the icon to PC, and staying in game mode, it somehow lowers input lag. This seems like it makes no sense. How would changing the icon to PC make input lag better?

This game has HORRIBLE input lag and I'm just trying to improve my input lag in any way I can, if thats possible.

I have turned off HDR, I do not use HDR game mode, just straight game mode in the interest of improving input lag as much as possible. I think the game has like 100ms input lag even before any TV comes into play.
i think game mode is lowest input lag. you use pc icon if you want to lower input lag and use like isf dark/bright.

as far as pubg goes, it's a wonky game, it's not our tvs.
post #236 of 307 Old 03-08-2018, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuch88 View Post
I️ believe this means that the end user has to use the in game calibration tools to optimize the picture to their TV on a game by game basis. This is done me with either the overall brightness controls, or the HDR nots specific brightness controls.

That's what my experience is in all HDR enabled games I have tried so far on the 2017 B7.. In Horizon for example, when you switch from SDR with in game brightness @ 50 to HDR game mode (or any other HDR mode) then the image is very dim and gamma seems off. In HDR the in game brightness setting seems to change to a gamma adjustment which I have to increase to 100 to get a proper level. Basically, these LG HDR modes rely on an in-game gamma adjust to get a working level. From what I read and some videos - the Samsungs seems to be adjusting the HDR output automatically to the preset in-game brightness/gamma levels.
post #237 of 307 Old 03-08-2018, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Opala View Post
That's what my experience is in all HDR enabled games I have tried so far on the 2017 B7.. In Horizon for example, when you switch from SDR with in game brightness @ 50 to HDR game mode (or any other HDR mode) then the image is very dim and gamma seems off. In HDR the in game brightness setting seems to change to a gamma adjustment which I have to increase to 100 to get a proper level. Basically, these LG HDR modes rely on an in-game gamma adjust to get a working level. From what I read and some videos - the Samsungs seems to be adjusting the HDR output automatically to the preset in-game brightness/gamma levels.

I had a Samsung KS9000 before I returned it for an LGE6. The Samsung wasn’t even close from a picture quality standpoint. Sure it was brighter, but the blacks were gray just a few degrees off center. I’m so glad I upgraded to the OLED.

post #238 of 307 Old 03-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

I know it goes against everything people have previously been told in the quest for accuracy, but please give dynamic contrast a go on high for hdr game mode. This is recommended by LG. I have a calibrated E6 and I set up game mode with the same valued as my calibrated HDR standard. If I put dynamic contrast on high on game mode, I find the picture to be virtually identical to my calibrated HDR standard.

post #239 of 307 Old 03-10-2018, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
I know it goes against everything people have previously been told in the quest for accuracy, but please give dynamic contrast a go on high for hdr game mode. This is recommended by LG. I have a calibrated E6 and I set up game mode with the same valued as my calibrated HDR standard. If I put dynamic contrast on high on game mode, I find the picture to be virtually identical to my calibrated HDR standard.

I tried it.

Its pretty bad if you go back and forth testing multiple ways.

Dark scenes with bright objects - ALOT more blooming.

Last edited by eqzitara; 03-11-2018 at 12:08 AM.
post #240 of 307 Old 03-10-2018, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqzitara View Post
I tried it.

Its pretty bad if you go back and forth testing multiple ways.

Dark scenes with bright objects - more blooming.

So much detail is lost when you go off<-> high back and forth. Loss of skin tones,etc.

I’m just not seeing this on my e6. Maybe the 2017 sets handle this differently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page