2017/2016 lg oled hdr game mode - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #241 of 307 Old 03-11-2018, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
I’m just not seeing this on my e6. Maybe the 2017 sets handle this differently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yea, 2017 here.

I am just using standard + turning everything off and just putting up with the lag. The blooming is awful on gaming mode.
100% standard has less bloom then 80% game mode even though its 1.5 as bright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 307 Old 03-11-2018, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
I know it goes against everything people have previously been told in the quest for accuracy, but please give dynamic contrast a go on high for hdr game mode. This is recommended by LG. I have a calibrated E6 and I set up game mode with the same valued as my calibrated HDR standard. If I put dynamic contrast on high on game mode, I find the picture to be virtually identical to my calibrated HDR standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dynamic contrast on high looks absolute horrible. Washed out colors especially greens. Medium is as high as you can go without a drastic decrease in PQ.

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X
post #243 of 307 Old 03-11-2018, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Dynamic contrast on high looks absolute horrible. Washed out colors especially greens. Medium is as high as you can go without a drastic decrease in PQ.

I don’t agree that this applies to game mode on the 2016 models. Colour gamut should be on wide. With those settings game mode is identical (pixel peeping aside) to my calibrated hdr standard mode.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 307 Old 03-11-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
I don’t agree that this applies to game mode on the 2016 models. Colour gamut should be on wide. With those settings game mode is identical (pixel peeping aside) to my calibrated hdr standard mode.

How do you make up for the loss of deep colors when putting on dynamic contrast to high? Tor example the field in madden and fifa becomes like a light green instead of a deep natural looking green. What settings do you use?

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X
post #245 of 307 Old 03-11-2018, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
How do you make up for the loss of deep colors when putting on dynamic contrast to high? Tor example the field in madden and fifa becomes like a light green instead of a deep natural looking green. What settings do you use?

I have colour gamut on wide. Dynamic contrast high. Oled light 74 and contrast at 100. Brightness 50 and colour 50. My 2pt white balance has been calibrated in the service menu however.

post #246 of 307 Old 03-16-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

so I recently starting playing in HDR from PC, and it took me a while to figure out how to calibrate HDR (did not immediately look better at all) - but once I did, I cannot believe how amazing it looks. Now I am just angry more games that have HDR on consoles do not have it on PC!

but my question is, how come my "dynamic contrast setting is greyed out and unavailable in HDR game mode? I am using Standard HDR mode, as game mode looks terrible, I can deal with the slight lag as I do not use any processing settings. I would give game mode HDR a try if I had access to dynamic contrast and see how it improves image. I have a 2016 E6. Assassins creed Origins in HDR is unreal looking, every now and then I will switch it back to regular HD to make sure I am not crazy and the difference is pretty jarring.

As far as LG's line that the new game mode HDR is to display more details, I am not sure I buy it. I think it is to help avoid burn in on static hud elements, I mean why is netflix and bluray HDR not dimmed and dark and washed out? Why do those look amazing, and why does standard HDR game mode look even better than both? just seems odd to me...
post #247 of 307 Old 03-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-dogg View Post
but my question is, how come my "dynamic contrast setting is greyed out and unavailable in HDR game mode?
I guess you are using pc-mode, as in renaming the hdmi input to pc?

Pc-mode disables alot of the picture enhancing options like dynamic contrast. Also HDR in pc-mode is somehow messed up, making the picture a bit dull and less colorful so I wouldn't use pc-mode for any HDR content at all.
post #248 of 307 Old 03-16-2018, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda on the sandy desert planet. ABL kept annoyingly kicking in while moving the camera where it's just sand. I haven't really noticed ABL in other games.
post #249 of 307 Old 03-17-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I can also notice it in Fifa 18.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #250 of 307 Old 03-21-2018, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
I guess you are using pc-mode, as in renaming the hdmi input to pc?

Pc-mode disables alot of the picture enhancing options like dynamic contrast. Also HDR in pc-mode is somehow messed up, making the picture a bit dull and less colorful so I wouldn't use pc-mode for any HDR content at all.
thanks, I'm an idiot...forgot I had changed that input label months ago when I first was testing HDR. So I tried dynamic contrast and after testing all HDR modes on game and PC input labels, I still can't get anything to match the beauty of PC standard HDR. Even if I use the exact same settings for game standard HDR it does not look as good, since there is some settings that are locked "on" which interfere with the picture quality. I think I am going to stick with PC HDR but only if I am able to disable HUD elements to avoid the dreaded burn in issues.

Does anyone know if there are differences in PC game mode input lag and Game console input lag? I know the game console input's game mode is recommended, but I can only find the stats for game console input lag online -- I don't see any tests with PC game mode to compare. I should probably just load up a shooter and do some testing, should be able to tell if its any worse...
post #251 of 307 Old 03-21-2018, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-dogg View Post
thanks, I'm an idiot...forgot I had changed that input label months ago when I first was testing HDR. So I tried dynamic contrast and after testing all HDR modes on game and PC input labels, I still can't get anything to match the beauty of PC standard HDR. Even if I use the exact same settings for game standard HDR it does not look as good, since there is some settings that are locked "on" which interfere with the picture quality. I think I am going to stick with PC HDR but only if I am able to disable HUD elements to avoid the dreaded burn in issues.

Does anyone know if there are differences in PC game mode input lag and Game console input lag? I know the game console input's game mode is recommended, but I can only find the stats for game console input lag online -- I don't see any tests with PC game mode to compare. I should probably just load up a shooter and do some testing, should be able to tell if its any worse...
What model TV do you have? I believe for the B6's there was a slight difference in PC mode vs just Game mode, but I don't own a B6 and am going off of memory. The B6 also got an update which lowered input lag to 27ms or something like that, so that may not even apply anymore, if it ever did.

In all of the other models, 6 and 7 series, I don't believe there is any difference.

post #252 of 307 Old 03-21-2018, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
What I can infer from tests I have performed on my LG B7 Oled using Final Fantasy XV PS4 AND PC as content. Settings used on both platforms were Game Mode or HDR Game mode w/ inputs for both HDMIs set as "Console" (non-PC). PS4 was set to Limited w/ LOW Black level and the PC was set to (through Nvidia manager) 422 color @ 10bit Limited range and LOW black level as well. All other Game mode and HDR Game mode settings were copied to be identical. I made sure to load my comparisons in the same time of day & the same sunny weather conditions.

Comparing the SDR (LG B7 brightness @50, contrast @ 90) content w/ in game brightness set @ 45: the PS4 image looked more drab and less contrasty then the equivalent PC SDR image. The PC SDR definitely has more punch and was more "well-rounded."

Comparing the HDR (LG B7 brightness @100, contrast @100) content w/ in game brightness set @ 50: the PS4 image looked nice and vibrant, well balanced, and more saturated. It definitely had the "pop" effect and the lighting was brilliant and accurately mapped. The HDR PC rendition was pretty horrid in comparison even after I played around with the Luminance slider in conjunction to the in-game brightness slider. Unable to match it to the PS4 HDR image... Darks were great but anything that was supposed to be bright (including skin tones) was not being mapped correctly and just didn't look correct - resulting in a quite disappointing HDR rendition for the Windows version on this TV at least.

Conclusion - HDR is very finicky and is fully dependent on how the content/device feed is implementing it. Even the same game on the same TV settings coming from 2 different devices produced vastly different HDR results with different tone-mapping. I would be glad to hear input from others that are able to perform a similar test on their panels!
post #253 of 307 Old 03-29-2018, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Solution / Fix for HDR Game mode "too dim" on LG Oled

So I have always felt HDR Game mode has been a bit "off" on my W7. It is not exactly too dim as often described, but everything below IRE50 simply gets too dark. It's a very harsh effect on eyes and does not feel right.

I don't buy LG's explanation that this is because the way they are trying to preserve highlight detail. I know there is a difference between how for example "standard" and "movie" modes handle highlights differently. That's really not the issue we're discussing about.

Here's how you can make HDR Game mode look 1:1 with Technicolor Expert HDR.

PS4 Pro settings > Display > HDMI Black Level > Auto

Start HDR Game on PS4 Pro and dial these settings on your TV
OLED Light: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 55
Colour Temperature: W50
Dynamic Contrast: High*
Super Resolution: Off
Colour Gamut: Wide
Black Level: High*

*The most important changes.

Now, once you have entered these settings the HDR Game mode will look 1:1 identical with Technicolor Expert HDR mode. Black levels and brightness are 1:1. Highlights and shadows have superb detail and the "right" kind of HDR look. Even the Dynamic Contrast setting on High doesn't hurt the image against all my beliefs. This is truely strange because Technicolor Expert has default black level = low and DC=low. Still they match. This makes me believe black level is just handled plain wrong on the TV-side when on HDMI source on Game Mode.

I tried multiple challenging high dynamic range scenarios in RE7, Horizon, Uncharted. While at it I popped the TV menu up and changed picture-mode in real time between HDR Game and Technicolor. Carefully pixel peeping the end result. I can't make up a difference between the two.

Before judging, please try this for yourself. After finding this solution, I've been a very happy camper.

Last edited by antti-la; 03-29-2018 at 04:16 AM.
post #254 of 307 Old 03-29-2018, 04:32 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by antti-la View Post

So I have always felt HDR Game mode has been a bit "off" on my W7. It is not exactly too dim as often described, but everything below IRE50 simply gets too dark. It's a very harsh effect on eyes and does not feel right.

I don't buy LG's explanation that this is because the way they are trying to preserve highlight detail. I know there is a difference between how for example "standard" and "movie" modes handle highlights differently. That's really not the issue we're discussing about.

Now, once you have entered these settings the HDR Game mode will look 1:1 identical with Technicolor Expert HDR mode. Black levels and brightness are 1:1. Highlights and shadows have superb detail and the "right" kind of HDR look. Even the Dynamic Contrast setting on High doesn't hurt the image against all my beliefs. This is truely strange because Technicolor Expert has default black level = low and DC=low. Still they match. This makes me believe black level is just handled plain wrong on the TV-side when on HDMI source on Game Mode.

I tried multiple challenging high dynamic range scenarios in RE7, Horizon, Uncharted. While at it I popped the TV menu up and changed picture-mode in real time between HDR Game and Technicolor. Carefully pixel peeping the end result. I can't make up a difference between the two.

Before judging, please try this for yourself. After finding this solution, I've been a very happy camper.
Thanks

So shall i try this setting . Im.in hdr game mode on E6

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
post #255 of 307 Old 03-29-2018, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Do not use those settings, are not meassured and by using black level high you're killing all the image detail, you're mixing video levels, HDR must be used with black level low, i made a post that is in this forum where you can find the correct settings for HDR game for 2016/17, measured with tools, not by eye
Stuntman_Mike and Dabois09 like this.

OLED E6 USER
post #256 of 307 Old 03-29-2018, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:

Yeah but are you making these changes BEFORE or AFTER adjusting in-game HDR sliders? COD, Ubisoft games, etc have black and white level HDR sliders.
post #257 of 307 Old 03-29-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256k View Post
Do not use those settings, are not meassured and by using black level high you're killing all the image detail, you're mixing video levels, HDR must be used with black level low, i made a post that is in this forum where you can find the correct settings for HDR game for 2016/17, measured with tools, not by eye
It is true that I've done this measurement process by eye. In history I've calibrated plenty of sets with equipment (i1+hcfr). I know very well what properly calibrated image looks like and that's what my eyes are adjusted to. I have not yet calibrated HDR spaces and what I've read from it the whole process of calibrating HDR can be kind of a hassle and standards are still forming their place.

On top of that it's a widely known issue that this particular Game HDR mode is considered too dim, or even broken by most people. Not just people coming from the "vivid" mode, but even the enthusiast crowd. I've tried out "calibrated" recommendations, I've tried to live with black level forced to "Low" (cause I know that's what you should use by logic). End result never changes. Blacks and dark tones gets crushed way more in comparison to to any other picture-mode on the TV. This clearly gives away that the TV is for some reason handling the black-level/brightness signal wrong only on this particular mode. Setting black level to high instantly relieves the issue and makes the image look similar to other modes (which are black level=low). I know it defies logic, but there have been bugs like this before.

It's also widely know that the Technicolor Expert -mode is about as close to calibrated set out of the box setting as one can get.

Setting it up like I described makes these modes display the image almost in 1:1 similarity. Open up any scene and start swapping between game<->technicolor. It looks just alike. It's comfortable. It's good. It just feels right to me.

As opposed comparing HDR Game, Black Level on Low to Movie/Technicolor on their default. With bare eye you can see in a second that all the black detail is instantly way darker than any other mode. You don't need equipment to see that it's just wrong.

I know it sounds bonkers and that's why I suggested to try it out before judging.

For me it seems like firmware bug:

HDMI 1 PS4: HDR Game mode, Black Level: High = Same black level handling as every other image mode gives on "Black Level: Low"
HDMI 1 PS4: HDR Game mode, Black Level: Low = Does not look similar to any other picture-mode on the TV. Bugged setting which handles the signal wrong and crushes your blacks.

I won't bet my life on this, but this might be something someone want's to try if they feel the same way as I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Yeah but are you making these changes BEFORE or AFTER adjusting in-game HDR sliders? COD, Ubisoft games, etc have black and white level HDR sliders.
I don't have any of those games. RE7 had somewhat similar sliders I think. Didn't seem to alleviate the problem by much. Matching the squares on brightness calibration was a no go. I read it's just better to go with a solid 700-800 setting.

Last edited by antti-la; 03-29-2018 at 08:22 AM.
post #258 of 307 Old 03-29-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
It is true that I've done this measurement process by eye. In history I've calibrated plenty of sets with equipment (i1+hcfr). I know very well what properly calibrated image looks like and that's what my eyes are adjusted to. I have not yet calibrated HDR spaces and what I've read from it the whole process of calibrating HDR can be kind of a hassle and standards are still forming their place.

On top of that it's a widely known issue that this particular Game HDR mode is considered too dim, or even broken by most people. Not just people coming from the "vivid" mode, but even the enthusiast crowd. I've tried out "calibrated" recommendations, I've tried to live with black level forced to "Low" (cause I know that's what you should use by logic). End result never changes. Blacks and dark tones gets crushed way more in comparison to to any other picture-mode on the TV. This clearly gives away that the TV is for some reason handling the black-level/brightness signal wrong only on this particular mode. Setting black level to high instantly relieves the issue and makes the image look similar to other modes (which are black level=low). I know it defies logic, but there have been bugs like this before.

It's also widely know that the Technicolor Expert -mode is about as close to calibrated set out of the box setting as one can get.

Setting it up like I described makes these modes display the image almost in 1:1 similarity. Open up any scene and start swapping between game<->technicolor. It looks just alike. It's comfortable. It's good. It just feels right to me.

As opposed comparing HDR Game, Black Level on Low to Movie/Technicolor on their default. With bare eye you can see in a second that all the black detail is instantly way darker than any other mode. You don't need equipment to see that it's just wrong.

I know it sounds bonkers and that's why I suggested to try it out before judging.

For me it seems like firmware bug:

HDMI 1 PS4: HDR Game mode, Black Level: High = Same black level handling as every other image mode gives on "Black Level: Low"
HDMI 1 PS4: HDR Game mode, Black Level: Low = Does not look similar to any other picture-mode on the TV. Bugged setting which handles the signal wrong and crushes your blacks.

I won't bet my life on this, but this might be something someone want's to try if they feel the same way as I do.

I don't have any of those games. RE7 had somewhat similar sliders I think. Didn't seem to alleviate the problem by much. Matching the squares on brightness calibration was a no go. I read it's just better to go with a solid 700-800 setting.
PS4 does not handle RGB complete while in HDR, only limited (Black level low) ,so it does not matter if you change between Complete or limited, the screen won't become black for a second (Sign that the PS4 is changing the RGB range)

So even with it on complete, it will use complete ONLY while in SDR, and will use limited on HDR (Even with complete selected)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...16-series.html

Here are my settings
post #259 of 307 Old 03-30-2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
PS4 does not handle RGB complete while in HDR, only limited (Black level low) ,so it does not matter if you change between Complete or limited, the screen won't become black for a second (Sign that the PS4 is changing the RGB range)

So even with it on complete, it will use complete ONLY while in SDR, and will use limited on HDR (Even with complete selected)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...16-series.html

Here are my settings
It's not about what the PS4 is outputting on HDR, which is of course limited signal (10bit 422). It's about the TV handling the signal wrong and you have to change black level on TV to "high" on this particular picture-mode to get it right. Then and only then the black level corresponds same what other modes look on "low". It's a bug on the TV software, not PS4. That's my working theory atleast.

I tried your settings. By default they still gave me a lot dimmer shadow detail compared to any other HDR image-mode. Fixing this by setting dynamic contrast to high, to bring up the dim shadow detail gives this ultra dramatic fluctuating contrast which looks anything but good or right. Very very harsh on eyes and "improved by image processing" -look.

Just give up and try it out yourself.

Last edited by antti-la; 03-30-2018 at 04:06 AM.
post #260 of 307 Old 03-30-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
It's not about what the PS4 is outputting on HDR, which is of course limited signal (10bit 422). It's about the TV handling the signal wrong and you have to change black level on TV to "high" on this particular picture-mode to get it right. Then and only then the black level corresponds same what other modes look on "low". It's a bug on the TV software, not PS4. That's my working theory atleast.

I tried your settings. By default they still gave me a lot dimmer shadow detail compared to any other HDR image-mode. Fixing this by setting dynamic contrast to high, to bring up the dim shadow detail gives this ultra dramatic fluctuating contrast which looks anything but good or right. Very very harsh on eyes and "improved by image processing" -look.

I know perfectly how it works, thats why after months of fighting agains this, i've finally found what works and how it should be

I've tested everything, used the masciola hdr patterns to see black crush, there's no crush, it shows everything perfect with my settings, so... Use whatever you want

The black level high thing is nothing you discovered, when i didn't have any idea about TV's and calibration, i made that same mistake (look into my messages in the forum), thank god, today to the date i know enough to know that you're wrong, but i cannot force you to play as you should, you can always use HDR standard and clip all detail higher than 700nits
post #261 of 307 Old 03-31-2018, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

I tried this out and tend to agree with you, at least with dynamic contrast set to high, black level high seems to work better. I’m not convinced that black level high should be used with dynamic contrast set to low or medium though. This is a strange one though.. is there no test pattern that we could use to test this theory like there are for SDR? Finally, the overall brightness is still a little lower than technicolor expert with active hdr so it won’t address all the complaints.
post #262 of 307 Old 03-31-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezed13 View Post
I tried this out and tend to agree with you, at least with dynamic contrast set to high, black level high seems to work better. I’m not convinced that black level high should be used with dynamic contrast set to low or medium though. This is a strange one though.. is there no test pattern that we could use to test this theory like there are for SDR? Finally, the overall brightness is still a little lower than technicolor expert with active hdr so it won’t address all the complaints.
There are... The ones i used to give to all of you those settings, but hey, as i said, if you prefeer to use incorrect settings, go ahead lol
post #263 of 307 Old 03-31-2018, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
There are... The ones i used to give to all of you those settings, but hey, as i said, if you prefeer to use incorrect settings, go ahead lol
Your settings are for the 2016 oleds though. On the 2017s, dynamic contrast at high is not acceptable as it crushes shadow detail. Anyway, i’ve settled with black level low, dynamic contrast medium, wide colour gamut on and i think it’s close enough to Technicolor expert (although still less bright due to lack of active HDR)
post #264 of 307 Old 04-02-2018, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Let's get it straight. The PS4 Pro @4K will got to 422 space when HDR is detected. The regular PS4 or slim will stay at RGB in 1080p no matter the signal if the TV supports it. So black levels will be different. I've tested this with Horizon btw.

Now, I've tested the settings posted by antti-la on a B7 with a PS4 slim. So I had the option to have HDR in both Full range and limited range. I decided to Set it to limited as to replicate the a PS4 Pro here. With a limited range, I was able to get very close to the Technicolor setting (outside of the bespoke processing of that setting) by using Black Level = Low, Dynamic Contrast set to medium and Brightness set @ 53. Setting Black level to High when in Limited range mode will basically curtail the signal range even more, and you are compensating for the gray black by reducing brightness (aka black level) so it looks normalized.

If you repeat these setting while keeping Brightness @ 50 - you WILL see a sharp fall off into black as the HDR Game mode does not have the option of a 20/2 point WB setting like the Technicolor and ISF modes.

For those curious about HDR in full RGB modes. Ideally - the best HDR would be through a Full signal with Low black level and proper support for a 20-point luminance calibration. In Horizon, the colors and lighting are very brilliant but it does tend to clip the very highs (sun drenched clouds and anything within the top 5% IRE values are not properly mapped).

Just my experience. When devices can support a full range with deep color in HDR, that's when proper HDR mapping will come to fruition in my opinion.
post #265 of 307 Old 04-03-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well Far Cry 5 has just a slider with a picture to set "paper white", not actual Nits setting.
post #266 of 307 Old 04-19-2018, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Opala View Post
Let's get it straight. The PS4 Pro @4K will got to 422 space when HDR is detected. The regular PS4 or slim will stay at RGB in 1080p no matter the signal if the TV supports it. So black levels will be different. I've tested this with Horizon btw.

Now, I've tested the settings posted by antti-la on a B7 with a PS4 slim. So I had the option to have HDR in both Full range and limited range. I decided to Set it to limited as to replicate the a PS4 Pro here. With a limited range, I was able to get very close to the Technicolor setting (outside of the bespoke processing of that setting) by using Black Level = Low, Dynamic Contrast set to medium and Brightness set @ 53. Setting Black level to High when in Limited range mode will basically curtail the signal range even more, and you are compensating for the gray black by reducing brightness (aka black level) so it looks normalized.

If you repeat these setting while keeping Brightness @ 50 - you WILL see a sharp fall off into black as the HDR Game mode does not have the option of a 20/2 point WB setting like the Technicolor and ISF modes.

For those curious about HDR in full RGB modes. Ideally - the best HDR would be through a Full signal with Low black level and proper support for a 20-point luminance calibration. In Horizon, the colors and lighting are very brilliant but it does tend to clip the very highs (sun drenched clouds and anything within the top 5% IRE values are not properly mapped).

Just my experience. When devices can support a full range with deep color in HDR, that's when proper HDR mapping will come to fruition in my opinion.
After getting a proper calibration yesterday what a frustration that we're stuck with the color slider for Game Mode HDR. Distinct difference in detail between the two.

Technicolor calibrated is marvelous, but has input lag.
post #267 of 307 Old 04-20-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some good news for 2016 owners...assuming it comes to fruition

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#4aa58b333637
post #268 of 307 Old 04-20-2018, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For god of war on PS4...

What’s everyone setting their hdr brightness and contrast to IN GAME? I’m on a 2016 oled with “dim” hdr game mode set with dynamic contrast medium.
post #269 of 307 Old 04-21-2018, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
To be honest after months trying to find the settings for HDR game mode, I just started using HDR Cinema Home with TruMotion Off and it looks amazing (playing God of War now) and no input lag.

It seems TruMotion is the only thing responsible for substantially increasing input lag, probably you can play on any settings and just turn off TruMotion.

Now I don't the exact difference in input lag between HDR Cinema Home with TruMotion turned off and HDR Game Mode, but I couldn't notice any. It would be interesting if you guys try out my "solution".
post #270 of 307 Old 04-21-2018, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mairov View Post
To be honest after months trying to find the settings for HDR game mode, I just started using HDR Cinema Home with TruMotion Off and it looks amazing (playing God of War now) and no input lag.

It seems TruMotion is the only thing responsible for substantially increasing input lag, probably you can play on any settings and just turn off TruMotion.

Now I don't the exact difference in input lag between HDR Cinema Home with TruMotion turned off and HDR Game Mode, but I couldn't notice any. It would be interesting if you guys try out my "solution".
Same. All enhancements off on technicolor Expert, don't notice any real world lag issues. Playing PUBG, and doing very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page