AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   2017/2016 lg oled hdr game mode (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2908822-2017-2016-lg-oled-hdr-game-mode.html)

Adamd 08-01-2017 04:11 PM

2017/2016 lg oled hdr game mode

I myself think the recent update broke the hdr game mode. Most games are still playable but look very dark. Uncharted is one that looks very dim in parts. I've read of some people saying they like the new update. I don't think we should have to use contrast enhancer to get a decently bright picture. I found this on the lg website and it sounds to me like they are saying there is nothing wrong.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/prod...or-dim-picture

When I called in a couple weeks ago lg said they knew about the issue and a firmware update would be coming out to fix. Just wondering on what you guys think of the update and what you have heard from lg regarding this. Hopefully enough people have talked to lg about this for them to send out a patch.

macmane 08-01-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamd (Post 54567106)
I myself think the recent update broke the hdr game mode. Most games are still playable but look very dark. Uncharted is one that looks very dim in parts. I've read of some people saying they like the new update. I don't think we should have to use contrast enhancer to get a decently bright picture. I found this on the lg website and it sounds to me like they are saying there is nothing wrong.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/prod...or-dim-picture

When I called in a couple weeks ago lg said they knew about the issue and a firmware update would be coming out to fix. Just wondering on what you guys think of the update and what you have heard from lg regarding this. Hopefully enough people have talked to lg about this for them to send out a patch.

Yea I think the dynamic contrast is a band aid until they release the real patch

Adamd 08-01-2017 05:39 PM

I don't know about all the 2017 oled but I can say the b7 does not have this dim hdr game mode like the e6 does. I tried out my b7 and the brightness is the same as the cinema mode. On my e6 the game mode is like 1/3 of the brightness. I'm sure lg is going to fix this... they have to.

macmane 08-01-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamd (Post 54567626)
I don't know about all the 2017 oled but I can say the b7 does not have this dim hdr game mode like the e6 does. I tried out my b7 and the brightness is the same as the cinema mode. On my e6 the game mode is like 1/3 of the brightness. I'm sure lg is going to fix this... they have to.

Someone needs to start a petition ASAP

Mr Dillon 08-01-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamd (Post 54567626)

Damn well knew something funny was going on. I just hate the contradictory responses from LG, so many of their representatives have said that it is deliberate and results in better colour. It's kind of insulting, if it's better as they say then why only apply this to the HDR game mode and not the other HDR10 modes? Why not include this information in the firmware notes to advise users before updating? Why not roll out updates that effect HDR game mode for the 2017 models so they also get the better colour? Why have they removed the update in European regions from the site and the TV's auto updater? I mean come on, either LG are trying to shove this problem under a rug, or their communication is downright awful. It's very frustrating as a consumer to deal with this, especially for such a high end product.

nodixe 08-02-2017 02:16 PM

I think maybe we are causing the confusion by lumping all models from both years into a single group when not all are affected the same? I know on my b6 I have been playing tlou re7 de:md in hdr for months and it looks awesome. So when I heard about this issue and how HDR game mode was dimmer then HDR normal (I guess they used to be same) I had to check stuff out. On my b6 on .20 fw the HDR game mode is at about 75% as bright as HDR norm but no crushed blacks or distorted colors or unplayable sections. In fact I believe the presentation and playability to be much improved compared to HDR normal. Granted idk what the old game mode looked like (or dont remember) so I cant speek to that. But it is very very far from broken on my b6. I almost think it was intentional on lg part maybe switching to tone mapping from clipping but the algo was to aggressive on certain models. If taken at face value it seems all models have dimmer game mode but some are experiencing extreme black crush akin to level mismatch (ie ps4 outputting 1080p hdr rgb full and the tv set to balck level low or everything on auto and miscomunication between devices) and extreme oversaturated colors and some even see washed out colors (this all sounds like level mismatch....hmm). Sounds like we need some data on what settings people are using.....I bet a lot are using auto....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dave Scurrah 08-02-2017 03:37 PM

i call bull**** ,if it was so great y r the other HDR modes not dimmer ,if dimmer is better then y tell us to turn on dynamic contrast on to make it brighter ,y pull the update from europe ,y say there is a fix on the way ,then y backpedal and say turn on dynamic contrast ,in the notes on the update, there is no metion of this improvement on the new firmware . i agree with the post above sweeping it under the rug .

Mr Dillon 08-02-2017 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodixe (Post 54572634)
I think maybe we are causing the confusion by lumping all models from both years into a single group when not all are affected the same? I know on my b6 I have been playing tlou re7 de:md in hdr for months and it looks awesome. So when I heard about this issue and how HDR game mode was dimmer then HDR normal (I guess they used to be same) I had to check stuff out. On my b6 on .20 fw the HDR game mode is at about 75% as bright as HDR norm but no crushed blacks or distorted colors or unplayable sections. In fact I believe the presentation and playability to be much improved compared to HDR normal. Granted idk what the old game mode looked like (or dont remember) so I cant speek to that. But it is very very far from broken on my b6. I almost think it was intentional on lg part maybe switching to tone mapping from clipping but the algo was to aggressive on certain models. If taken at face value it seems all models have dimmer game mode but some are experiencing extreme black crush akin to level mismatch (ie ps4 outputting 1080p hdr rgb full and the tv set to balck level low or everything on auto and miscomunication between devices) and extreme oversaturated colors and some even see washed out colors (this all sounds like level mismatch....hmm). Sounds like we need some data on what settings people are using.....I bet a lot are using auto....

Okay let me break this down for you. This is not RGB mismatching, and this specifically effects the C6, E6 and G6. Not the B6. The B6 has always had a slightly dimmer HDR game mode due to its different chipset (it's the only 2016 model without 3D), and with the recent firmware for the C6 and above models the HDR game mode is about as dim as standard with the OLED light set to around 25. It's so dim in fact that it's barely playable in a bright room. The only fix of course is enabling dynamic contrast with all of its drawbacks, end even then it's still not as bright as the other HDR modes. If your game mode is about 75 percent as bright as the other modes, then the C6 would be about 75 percent darker. Now, certain LG reps have claimed this to be a deliberate decision, saying it increases detail in highlights and colour with better contrast. The only positive side effect is the increased detail in highlights, I see no difference in colour, and it's contrast is much worse due to how dim the screen is, I do not think it is a worthy trade off, and obviously many others agree and are disappointed with me.

So there really is no confusion, the only confusion is coming from LG and their inconsistent response to this issue. Your B6 is fine, you don't have to worry, that is unless of course they decide to release a firmware that buggers up your game mode too. Now, personally I don't think this was deliberate at all, the C6/E6/G6 have had a functioning bright game mode for this whole year now. No complaints, and then comes this recent firmware that dims the screen to a ridiculous degree for no real reason. LG has coincidentally taken the firmware down in European regions (my friend can't update, he's stuck with the old firmware and happy for it) and they also never included this change in the patch notes. The narrative that this is deliberate seems like damage control by LG who don't seem to be too bothered to fix this issue.

nodixe 08-03-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dillon (Post 54574908)
Okay let me break this down for you. This is not RGB mismatching, and this specifically effects the C6, E6 and G6. Not the B6. The B6 has always had a slightly dimmer HDR game mode due to its different chipset (it's the only 2016 model without 3D), and with the recent firmware for the C6 and above models the HDR game mode is about as dim as standard with the OLED light set to around 25. It's so dim in fact that it's barely playable in a bright room. The only fix of course is enabling dynamic contrast with all of its drawbacks, end even then it's still not as bright as the other HDR modes. If your game mode is about 75 percent as bright as the other modes, then the C6 would be about 75 percent darker. Now, certain LG reps have claimed this to be a deliberate decision, saying it increases detail in highlights and colour with better contrast. The only positive side effect is the increased detail in highlights, I see no difference in colour, and it's contrast is much worse due to how dim the screen is, I do not think it is a worthy trade off, and obviously many others agree and are disappointed with me.

So there really is no confusion, the only confusion is coming from LG and their inconsistent response to this issue. Your B6 is fine, you don't have to worry, that is unless of course they decide to release a firmware that buggers up your game mode too. Now, personally I don't think this was deliberate at all, the C6/E6/G6 have had a functioning bright game mode for this whole year now. No complaints, and then comes this recent firmware that dims the screen to a ridiculous degree for no real reason. LG has coincidentally taken the firmware down in European regions (my friend can't update, he's stuck with the old firmware and happy for it) and they also never included this change in the patch notes. The narrative that this is deliberate seems like damage control by LG who don't seem to be too bothered to fix this issue.

I was told the b6 used to have a brighter hdr game mode (I got my tv after update) so my point was maybe our b6 was on purpose since its doesn't ruin the picture and then they tried it on the other models and f*d it up? In all actuality the confusion is most likely from uninformed lg reps and I dont think any of them have the authority to say a fw fix is in development unless it actually is so must be in the works....

Mr Dillon 08-05-2017 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodixe (Post 54577182)
I was told the b6 used to have a brighter hdr game mode (I got my tv after update) so my point was maybe our b6 was on purpose since its doesn't ruin the picture and then they tried it on the other models and f*d it up? In all actuality the confusion is most likely from uninformed lg reps and I dont think any of them have the authority to say a fw fix is in development unless it actually is so must be in the works....

I believe the original implementation of the HDR game mode update on the B6 had some weird screen tearing issues that was resolved in a firmware. I'm uncertain if the broken game mode on the B6 was brighter though, either way, not really similar to this situation considering the HDR game mode on the C6/E6/G6 worked perfectly before the recent firmware.

jk82 08-05-2017 03:08 AM

I think there can only be two reasons for the dim HDR game mode. Either it's a bug and will be fixed or they intentionally did it because they're afraid of burn-in from games, which of course they would never openly admit.

Andrew Stirling 08-07-2017 04:29 AM

I see a number of posts citing the decision to pull the firmware in Europe as recognition from LG that the game mode is faulty. I don't believe this is the case.
The firmware also introduced an issue with 1080i signals which caused the screen for stutter every 2-3 seconds. A great deal of broadcast television here is 1080i and the firmware essentially made that unwatchable. It's highly possible that this is the reason it was pulled rather than the game mode.
For what it's worth I'm using a test firmware (5.xx.10). This fixes the issue with interlaced signal but does not make any changes to the dimmer game mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mr Dillon 08-09-2017 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling (Post 54594682)
I see a number of posts citing the decision to pull the firmware in Europe as recognition from LG that the game mode is faulty. I don't believe this is the case.
The firmware also introduced an issue with 1080i signals which caused the screen for stutter every 2-3 seconds. A great deal of broadcast television here is 1080i and the firmware essentially made that unwatchable. It's highly possible that this is the reason it was pulled rather than the game mode.
For what it's worth I'm using a test firmware (5.xx.10). This fixes the issue with interlaced signal but does not make any changes to the dimmer game mode.

LG UK said that they pulled the update due to the HDR game mode problem and the stuttering issues, they also said they were working on a fix specifically for the HDR game mode. Anyway, LG support Australia got in contact with me today, they were trying to tell me that the recent firmware for the C6/E6/G6 that dimmed the HDR game mode is deliberate and that it apparently effects all the HDR modes and even Dolby Vision. They say the firmware made the HDR more in line with industry standards. I explain to them how that's a load of crap considering it only effects the HDR game mode, they put me through to a product expert who just regurgitated the same hogwash. I ask them why they pulled the update in Australia, why it wasn't included in the patch notes, why it only effects HDR game mode, and also mention the numerous complaints on the internet and how LG support in the UK said they were working on a fix. They say the HDR game mode problem is different in the UK, I politely inform them that it bloody isn't considering this recent firmware effected everyone globally in the same way, told them a simple google search would show the results. They just said my TV isn't broken and that it effected all the HDR modes and that they aren't working on a fix because everything is as intended. They then let me go. Didn't even let me do a survey afterwards knowing I was clearly annoyed and disappointed. Now just have a look at LG's response here.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/prod...0129990-others

I think the issue here is simple, LG buggered up the game mode, there's been a slight uproar here and over the web but nothing big enough for them to fix it. So they're just ignoring it, waiting for the agitation to die down, and you can bet your arse that if there was a petition with thousands of signatures LG would be bending over backwards to resolve this issue. We're simply a minority that isn't worth the cost of fixing.

Andrew Stirling 08-10-2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dillon (Post 54610992)
LG UK said that they pulled the update due to the HDR game mode problem and the stuttering issues, they also said they were working on a fix specifically for the HDR game mode. Anyway, LG support Australia got in contact with me today, they were trying to tell me that the recent firmware for the C6/E6/G6 that dimmed the HDR game mode is deliberate and that it apparently effects all the HDR modes and even Dolby Vision. They say the firmware made the HDR more in line with industry standards. I explain to them how that's a load of crap considering it only effects the HDR game mode, they put me through to a product expert who just regurgitated the same hogwash. I ask them why they pulled the update in Australia, why it wasn't included in the patch notes, why it only effects HDR game mode, and also mention the numerous complaints on the internet and how LG support in the UK said they were working on a fix. They say the HDR game mode problem is different in the UK, I politely inform them that it bloody isn't considering this recent firmware effected everyone globally in the same way, told them a simple google search would show the results. They just said my TV isn't broken and that it effected all the HDR modes and that they aren't working on a fix because everything is as intended. They then let me go. Didn't even let me do a survey afterwards knowing I was clearly annoyed and disappointed. Now just have a look at LG's response here.

I think the issue here is simple, LG buggered up the game mode, there's been a slight uproar here and over the web but nothing big enough for them to fix it. So they're just ignoring it, waiting for the agitation to die down, and you can bet your arse that if there was a petition with thousands of signatures LG would be bending over backwards to resolve this issue. We're simply a minority that isn't worth the cost of fixing.

I'm not sure that UK tech support are any more reliable than the guys you spoke to. An official post on the Canadian website on the other hand, I'm far more likely to believe. My gut feeling is that the change IS intentional and that the customer service people who spouted otherwise were just guessing. That information seemed to vary wildly depending on who you spoke to. I really don't think the first level guys get told too much.

NomanA 08-10-2017 01:21 PM

Well, the official workaround of setting Dynamic Contrast to medium or higher, doesn't work on PC mode. That is, with the input set to PC, you can't even change the dynamic contrast option for HDR Game. The control is grayed out.

wxman 08-10-2017 01:22 PM

LG getting bad press. So perhaps an update will come quickly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#66092f297774

Lordpaddy 08-10-2017 11:20 PM

I am from germany,
yesterday my TV (C6) did the auto update to the newest FW as well.
I noticed it because of the new background pictures.

The HDR game mode is indeed very dark and almost without colors.
I tried it out with Horizon Zero Dawn.

I ll hope they fix it soon!

ChrisMey 08-19-2017 11:01 PM

I would bet everything that its intentional. Look OLEDs simply shouldnt be used for games. Too many static elements, and too many bright colors, you will have image retention. Not always right away but as the panel mid ages. Just inherent in OLED. Now they cant very well tell everybody they are taking away the game mode and use your tv to watch movies or tv which have natural motion and not as many static images, so they do this instead. This is all driven by the increasing reports of burn in from owners as their panels age. So yes they are going to see more static imagery than before and all the complaints start flowing. LG starts to mitigate to remove the low hanging fruit. Reduce some brightness in key areas leading to retention

nodixe 08-20-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisMey (Post 54661670)
I would bet everything that its intentional. Look OLEDs simply shouldnt be used for games. Too many static elements, and too many bright colors, you will have image retention. Not always right away but as the panel mid ages. Just inherent in OLED. Now they cant very well tell everybody they are taking away the game mode and use your tv to watch movies or tv which have natural motion and not as many static images, so they do this instead. This is all driven by the increasing reports of burn in from owners as their panels age. So yes they are going to see more static imagery than before and all the complaints start flowing. LG starts to mitigate to remove the low hanging fruit. Reduce some brightness in key areas leading to retention

I have 620 hrs on mine about 500 gaming with no burn in. So far 15% of owners on here have reported burn, mostly from static banners on the opinion networks, so while it is a problem I never worried about it. And I'm one of the few who like the new hdr game mode (I never saw the older) as the others are too bright in my dark room. My tv is in cave (complete darkness is the best environment for pq) and I do not watch any of the (fake) news channels so ymmv.

mczolton 08-28-2017 05:49 PM

I don't suppose there is any new information on this topic? I came here because I am experiencing the same issue with dim HDR game mode on the LG B6. What are the chances LG releases a firmware update for the 2016 models now that the 2017 models are out?

Adamd 08-28-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mczolton (Post 54707956)
I don't suppose there is any new information on this topic? I came here because I am experiencing the same issue with dim HDR game mode on the LG B6. What are the chances LG releases a firmware update for the 2016 models now that the 2017 models are out?

Hopfully the more people that call and complain about it the faster it will get fixed.

Supermans 08-28-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

I'm about to go back to the older firmware. LG is not caring about 2016 OLED owners.

macmane 08-28-2017 10:16 PM

One thing I've noticed since being in the ps4 software beta and on my old firmware is the homescreen on the ps4 pro isn't washed out when I am playing a hdr game now. Maybe Playstation tweaked their settings

Andrew Stirling 08-28-2017 11:12 PM

Quote:

There are numerous posts on avforums in the uk where people have been using dynamic contrast set to high as per LG's instructions. The general consensus is that the picture is marginally better than the previous HDR game mode as there is less clipping. I think people are reluctant to use Dynamic Contrast due to how it negatively affects standard viewing. However in my experience, dynamic contrast behaves very differently in HDR modes and helps compensate for the limitations of HDR and the display.

Mr Dillon 08-29-2017 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling (Post 54709082)
There are numerous posts on avforums in the uk where people have been using dynamic contrast set to high as per LG's instructions. The general consensus is that the picture is marginally better than the previous HDR game mode as there is less clipping. I think people are reluctant to use Dynamic Contrast due to how it negatively affects standard viewing. However in my experience, dynamic contrast behaves very differently in HDR modes and helps compensate for the limitations of HDR and the display.

Dynamic contrast does NOT work differently in HDR. Hell, even with the 2017 models and their active HDR implementation through the dynamic contrast setting they still show the drawbacks of dynamic contrast. Dynamic contrast adjusts brightness levels on the fly which will screw up gamma, contrast, and brightness depending on scene. The one thing dynamic contrast does is make the screen artificially brighter, but to the people that are sensitive to the dynamic nature of dynamic contrast, it ain't a bloody solution. Most people simply aren't aware of these side effects, so dynamic contrast is a solution that works for them. But to people that care for an accurate display, dynamic contrast is not a fix, it's a damn compromise.

Now this new tone mapping does provide more detail in highlights yes, but in doing so it sacrifices the overall brightness of the display to a shocking degree on the C/E/G series. It also crushes blacks by default too, so that's nice. Now the only solution to the crushed blacks is to either enable dynamic contrast which has a whole host of drawbacks or crank up your TV's brightness and in doing so losing the perfect blacks or hope the HDR enabled game you're currently playing has an in-game brightness slider which many don't. So yeah, you get more detail in highlights, but in doing so we get slightly crushed blacks and a pathetically dim screen that is unplayable in normal lighting conditions. LG has forced gamers to use a setting that artificially enhances the brightness on the fly with a myriad of issues simply because they can't be bothered giving us an option to choose the older implementation of the game mode. The saddest thing is they're going to get away with it because the majority of people aren't impacted by the side effects of dynamic contrast, so the minority that care for an accurate display get screwed.

I still can't wrap my head around what an absolute cluster of horse crap LG's response to this issue has been. Initially they said they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix, then the American and Canadian branch started suspiciously implying this was a deliberate change even though it wasn't included in the patch notes. Then some other branches of LG started saying they were going to put this out to the 2017 models (which they haven't yet), and not just to the HDR game mode either but apparently to all the HDR modes. Oh, and I was informed by LG themselves that they had already forced out this new tone-mapping into all the HDR modes in the 2016 and 2017 series which is just a downright lie. This new tone-mapping only effects the HDR game mode of the C/E/G 2016 series, the B model isn't effected although it does have a dimmer HDR game mode due to a screen tearing issue but to nowhere near the extent of how dim the C/E/G series currently is. The C/E/G series also never suffered from any screen tearing issues, their previous HDR game mode's tone-mapping was completely in line with the standard HDR mode which hasn't been changed, and honestly I don't think it will. I don't think LG will enforce this change onto their 2017 series, or the other HDR modes, I think this new tone-mapping will stay exclusive to the poor old HDR game mode of the C/E/G models because nothing about this situation screams like a deliberate change on LG's behalf. Hell, even an LG employee said this change was forced on us by some engineers without much thought before their statement was taken down by LG.

I purchased my LG OLED when they released the HDR game mode update, I was very happy with their implementation of HDR. A nice balance of detail in the highlights while also still retaining a vibrant screen which is a must for HDR content. Then they forced a change on me that essentially destroyed my $3000 purchase without even giving me a heads up forcing me to downgrade and then refuse any future updates, just because they can't be bothered giving us the old HDR game mode as an option. All they'd have to do is give two HDR game modes, a bright pre-set with the old in my opinion superior tone-mapping, and a dark pre-set with the new aggressive tone-mapping. Something that would take one of their engineers literally a few hours to implement, will they do that? No, much easier just to tell everyone to throw dynamic contrast on. Damn disgusting. What a load of bollocks.

mczolton 08-29-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dillon (Post 54709186)
This new tone-mapping only effects the HDR game mode of the C/E/G 2016 series, the B model isn't effected although it does have a dimmer HDR game mode due to a screen tearing issue but to nowhere near the extent of how dim the C/E/G series currently is.

I can totally understand your frustration. It sucks to have a change like this thrust upon you without any option to disable it.

As an owner of the 2016 B6, would I even benefit from reverting to an older firmware? This statement makes it sound like the B6 always had a dimmer HDR game mode, and a recent firmware update did not introduce this issue, is that correct?

mercennarius 08-29-2017 07:29 AM

Keep in mind, the dim HDR game mode is not just affecting LGs OLEDs. The same update was delivered to LGs 8500/9500 LED TVs as well. So the OLED burn in theory as the reasoning is probably not accurate since the LEDs are not nearly as prone to this.

Adamd 08-29-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mczolton (Post 54710078)
I can totally understand your frustration. It sucks to have a change like this thrust upon you without any option to disable it.

As an owner of the 2016 B6, would I even benefit from reverting to an older firmware? This statement makes it sound like the B6 always had a dimmer HDR game mode, and a recent firmware update did not introduce this issue, is that correct?

I thought I read the b6 game mode is not as dim as the e6.

macmane 08-30-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dillon (Post 54709186)
Dynamic contrast does NOT work differently in HDR. Hell, even with the 2017 models and their active HDR implementation through the dynamic contrast setting they still show the drawbacks of dynamic contrast. Dynamic contrast adjusts brightness levels on the fly which will screw up gamma, contrast, and brightness depending on scene. The one thing dynamic contrast does is make the screen artificially brighter, but to the people that are sensitive to the dynamic nature of dynamic contrast, it ain't a bloody solution. Most people simply aren't aware of these side effects, so dynamic contrast is a solution that works for them. But to people that care for an accurate display, dynamic contrast is not a fix, it's a damn compromise.

Now this new tone mapping does provide more detail in highlights yes, but in doing so it sacrifices the overall brightness of the display to a shocking degree on the C/E/G series. It also crushes blacks by default too, so that's nice. Now the only solution to the crushed blacks is to either enable dynamic contrast which has a whole host of drawbacks or crank up your TV's brightness and in doing so losing the perfect blacks or hope the HDR enabled game you're currently playing has an in-game brightness slider which many don't. So yeah, you get more detail in highlights, but in doing so we get slightly crushed blacks and a pathetically dim screen that is unplayable in normal lighting conditions. LG has forced gamers to use a setting that artificially enhances the brightness on the fly with a myriad of issues simply because they can't be bothered giving us an option to choose the older implementation of the game mode. The saddest thing is they're going to get away with it because the majority of people aren't impacted by the side effects of dynamic contrast, so the minority that care for an accurate display get screwed.

I still can't wrap my head around what an absolute cluster of horse crap LG's response to this issue has been. Initially they said they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix, then the American and Canadian branch started suspiciously implying this was a deliberate change even though it wasn't included in the patch notes. Then some other branches of LG started saying they were going to put this out to the 2017 models (which they haven't yet), and not just to the HDR game mode either but apparently to all the HDR modes. Oh, and I was informed by LG themselves that they had already forced out this new tone-mapping into all the HDR modes in the 2016 and 2017 series which is just a downright lie. This new tone-mapping only effects the HDR game mode of the C/E/G 2016 series, the B model isn't effected although it does have a dimmer HDR game mode due to a screen tearing issue but to nowhere near the extent of how dim the C/E/G series currently is. The C/E/G series also never suffered from any screen tearing issues, their previous HDR game mode's tone-mapping was completely in line with the standard HDR mode which hasn't been changed, and honestly I don't think it will. I don't think LG will enforce this change onto their 2017 series, or the other HDR modes, I think this new tone-mapping will stay exclusive to the poor old HDR game mode of the C/E/G models because nothing about this situation screams like a deliberate change on LG's behalf. Hell, even an LG employee said this change was forced on us by some engineers without much thought before their statement was taken down by LG.

I purchased my LG OLED when they released the HDR game mode update, I was very happy with their implementation of HDR. A nice balance of detail in the highlights while also still retaining a vibrant screen which is a must for HDR content. Then they forced a change on me that essentially destroyed my $3000 purchase without even giving me a heads up forcing me to downgrade and then refuse any future updates, just because they can't be bothered giving us the old HDR game mode as an option. All they'd have to do is give two HDR game modes, a bright pre-set with the old in my opinion superior tone-mapping, and a dark pre-set with the new aggressive tone-mapping. Something that would take one of their engineers literally a few hours to implement, will they do that? No, much easier just to tell everyone to throw dynamic contrast on. Damn disgusting. What a load of bollocks.

Yea I see the change of brightness effect on injustice 2 on a loading screen as it seems the dynamic contrast is trying to catch up with the picture and I also notice banding galore on games with dynamic contrast enabled

nodixe 08-30-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamd (Post 54710414)
I thought I read the b6 game mode is not as dim as the e6.

I was told that the b6 had a brighter HDR game mode but also a screen tearing issue and that the update fixing that also made it dimmer. Compared to HDR standard (I dont have much experience with the old game mode) HDR game mode is dimmer but not by much and I prefer it very much over the other modes....especially during long sessions in a pitch black room at a 46" inch "gaming" distance from tv. I guess it really doesn't matter for "17 models since the input I ag is same across all modes (I think).