Open Box / Display 55B6P from Best Buy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By mttpalmer
  • 1 Post By CHASLS2

post #1 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Open Box / Display 55B6P from Best Buy

So, I was on my way to buy the new TCL 55" the other day and found a open box 55B6P for sale @ $950 with no remote/accessories but with a stand. I thought because it had a stand it could be a true open box - but when I got home I checked the hours and it was at 8000 Which equals about 310 days.......

I then did some checks and found that there looks to be some burn-in - but it does not affect the picture quality in real world cases. Watching Chasing Coral in 4k with DV - insane.

Now just wanting to get a second opinion - should I return it, call LG to get a warranty claim (low likeliness they would do anything since burn-in is not covered), buy best buy's extended warranty (apparently burn-in is covered) and immediate ask for a burn-in repair or just keep it.

Attached are pics ......I know it looks bad. But again it doesn't affect too much - unless there's a huge red scene. It seems to me like the red pixels is messed up or something.....is this bad enough to return? I have 30 days with elite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3605 (1).JPG (390.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3604 (1).JPG (678.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3602 (1).JPG (412.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3603 (1).JPG (328.7 KB, 62 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armoured View Post
So, I was on my way to buy the new TCL 55" the other day and found a open box 55B6P for sale @ $950 with no remote/accessories but with a stand. I thought because it had a stand it could be a true open box - but when I got home I checked the hours and it was at 8000 Which equals about 310 days.......

I then did some checks and found that there looks to be some burn-in - but it does not affect the picture quality in real world cases. Watching Chasing Coral in 4k with DV - insane.

Now just wanting to get a second opinion - should I return it, call LG to get a warranty claim (low likeliness they would do anything since burn-in is not covered), buy best buy's extended warranty (apparently burn-in is covered) and immediate ask for a burn-in repair or just keep it.

Attached are pics ......I know it looks bad. But again it doesn't affect too much - unless there's a huge red scene. It seems to me like the red pixels is messed up or something.....is this bad enough to return? I have 30 days with elite.
Looking at the pics, it's kinda hard to tell with the reflections and the progress bar on the bottom. I'll take more pics with static red in full screen when i get home tonight; but that red screen is suppose to be all red - notice the black marks where it's suppose to be red.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I would haul it right on back to best buy.

I wouldn't touch a display tv since they are running a demo loop for months on end in addition to likely improper shutdown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Be careful with the BB extended warranty. That won't kick in until after the LG warranty expires (one year), and the LG warranty does not cover burn-in. This was just discussed in another thread (B6-C6 perhaps?).
wxman and no1special like this.

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #5 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Take it back ASAP.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 371
OLED burn in should be noticeable while watching regular content whenever a redish, orangish, or yellowish color is displayed on the screen. I, personally, wouldn't buy a damaged TV like that, but if you decide to keep it, make sure you've watched enough various content to ensure you can't see the effects of burn in.

I was watching a movie the other day that had a lot of earthy (brown, tan, yellowish) colors and the MSNBC logo that's partially burned in on our screen was very noticeable and distracting.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Not sure i would ever buy a open box display. I saw a 55" OLED at SAM's club for $1400. Just said too big on the box. No telling whats missing or whatever.
thebishman likes this.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #8 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 121
there is no warranty from anyone that will fix burn in. if you can live with what you see keep it, if it is going to bother you return it.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-08-2017, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
Be careful with the BB extended warranty. That won't kick in until after the LG warranty expires (one year), and the LG warranty does not cover burn-in. This was just discussed in another thread (B6-C6 perhaps?).
I have the geek squad warranty and starts day 1 of your purchase that is one advantage over square trade.

[Sony 65" A1E][oppo 203][klipsch 112sw]
post #10 of 10 Old 08-10-2017, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjohnson1717 View Post
I would haul it right on back to best buy.

I wouldn't touch a display tv since they are running a demo loop for months on end in addition to likely improper shutdown.
I wouldn't worry about improper shutdown (circuit turning off at night). That won't be an issue for TVs at a Best Buy, they're all on 24 hour circuits. However, whether the store employees are turning the TVs off at all is an open question. I bought my EG9100 open box at Best Buy and it had no burn in, but it also does not have the same peak brightness and was not playing HDR demos, so there was less risk in the first place. And I was pretty confident the TV was turned off every night (or close enough to every night).

Setup:
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page