Troubles with LG OLED "Burn IN" and LG - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 85Likes
Closed Thread

post #91 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked: 6046
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1948 View Post
In my experience, despite LG's assurances (http://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv/reliability) the risk of 'burn in" in LG's 2016 OLED sets is real even if the sets are used at low power APS display settings with content that includes static images (i.e. almost all cable tv channels)
This is why, though I enjoy the blacks of Plasma/OLED, I will not go through this gamble and have to worry about "babying" my HDTV again (I own a Pioneer Kuro). Sony 930E, here I come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morille Tremblay View Post
You're telling me PRO-630HD abused his TV by having the tv system menu burned in?

Also what is normality for you? AVS users sure are not in the normal range, they are the outlier of user. Dedicated lover of TV technology. You forget about the average soccer mom family that will use their TV without knowing that leaving CNN on for 4 hours a day at default oled light level is risky. Those families are the normal user, not you and me.

Again LG should have made a better job warning about risk. Just like Sony did in their instruction manual.
Im not aware of the Pro630D situation. Im sure it happened. Sorry that it did.

As for soccer Moms and the average Joe - they shouldnt but high-end TVs(OLED, LCD, any of them) for many reasons. As I said, the main reason is that the PQ is wasted on them. They install the thing over the fireplace, turn it on and leave it in torch mode for the rest of its life. Total waste IMO. Like buying a Ferrari 488 GTB when you live in a place with nothing but dirt roads and fields. So for them, yes, perhaps "normal" for them might cause burn-in. I dunno.

It is what it is. Or something like that. This topic is beat to death though. I think we're good here. Im done.
If the "soccer moms", and everyone else you state should not buy a high end TV would stop purchasing them, I'd venture to guess that, at the pricing that would result from the narrowing of the market and decreased unit volume, a large number of the people on this forum would no longer have the means to buy one.

And, to continue you automotive analogy, I drove my Porsche to the grocery store, as well as the track, without problems or guilt.

Last edited by John1948; 08-11-2017 at 09:42 AM.
post #93 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I think it's time the mods merge all these burn in threads into just one. There is absolutely no reason to have multiple threads all discussing the same thing.
Agreed - just burn em in to one long thread....
losservatore likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
This is why, though I enjoy the blacks of Plasma/OLED, I will not go through this gamble and have to worry about "babying" my HDTV again (I own a Pioneer Kuro). Sony 930E, here I come!
Check out the Sony 900E and use the savings for a down payment on a Porsche.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #95 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Check out the Sony 900E and use the savings for a down payment on a Porsche.
The difference between the 65" of those models is only $800. Are you thinking of the A1E?
post #96 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
Quote:
Then go for it. The gamble is completely overblown but people will do as they wish. Being a KURO owner though.... you're going to find LCDs very hard to take. They just dont cut it, especially for us "plasma" guys. Good luck either way.

Quote:
If the "soccer moms", and everyone else you state should not buy a high end TV would stop purchasing them, I'd venture to guess that, at the pricing that would result from the narrowing of the market and decreased unit volume, a large number of the people on this forum would no longer have the means to buy one.

And, to continue you automotive analogy, I drove my Porsche to the grocery store, as well as the track, without problems or guilt.
I dont think that many soccer Moms are going to buy an OLED or high-end LCD anyways. Why would they? Too costly. They'll buy their TV at Wally World the same day they buy groceries and clothes for the rugrats. They are totally NOT the target market for premium TVs. Not at all. So their use cases dont matter much IMO. Prices are a;ways higher for lower-volume, high-end electronics. My KURO was pricey way back when and so were many other premium TVs. The best LCDs are expensive too. You get what you pay for! Right?

Thats cool you use your P-car for basic trips. Thats not really what I was saying but I think you get the idea of the Ferrari + Nowhere to drive it = not being used properly or to its fullest capability.

I think us AVSers are out of touch with whats really gong on in the TV industry. Were the only ones paying top dollar for top-end TVs. The rest buy a big, cheap edge-lit LCD and think its great.

** OFF TOPIC: I must ask... what P-car do you have? My dad had some 911's back in the day. Loved those cars. He had the mid 1980's models which would be the SC. Bulletproof cars... very tail happy if you werent careful. Did track events at Watkins Glen here in upstate NY.
Marc Alexander and SuperFist like this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #97 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The difference between the 65" of those models is only $800. Are you thinking of the A1E?
Whoops - you're right. I was thinking of the 940E. Not enough money for a Porsche down payment. Maybe a monthly payment or opt for a nice Porsche Key Chain, instead?

I think the Sony 900E is the best bang for the buck but I know I'm bias since I have two of them - 75X & 49X.

Home Theater Setup
post #98 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Then go for it. The gamble is completely overblown but people will do as they wish. Being a KURO owner though.... you're going to find LCDs very hard to take. They just dont cut it, especially for us "plasma" guys. Good luck either way.

Quote:

I dont think that many soccer Moms are going to buy an OLED or high-end LCD anyways. Why would they? Too costly. They'll buy their TV at Wally World the same day they buy groceries and clothes for the rugrats. They are totally NOT the target market for premium TVs. Not at all. So their use cases dont matter much IMO. Prices are a;ways higher for lower-volume, high-end electronics. My KURO was pricey way back when and so were many other premium TVs. The best LCDs are expensive too. You get what you pay for! Right?

Thats cool you use your P-car for basic trips. Thats not really what I was saying but I think you get the idea of the Ferrari + Nowhere to drive it = not being used properly or to its fullest capability.

I think us AVSers are out of touch with whats really gong on in the TV industry. Were the only ones paying top dollar for top-end TVs. The rest buy a big, cheap edge-lit LCD and think its great.

** OFF TOPIC: I must ask... what P-car do you have? My dad had some 911's back in the day. Loved those cars. He had the mid 1980's models which would be the SC. Bulletproof cars... very tail happy if you werent careful. Did track events at Watkins Glen here in upstate NY.
Sold the Porsches but had a Boxster, 911 coupe, 911 cab and a 911 Carrera 4S (911 engine, turbo body and suspension). Boxster was actually my favorite.

Never did Watkins Glen, just local courses with PCA

Last edited by John1948; 08-11-2017 at 11:06 AM.
post #99 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Or they buy the floor models and open-box clearance TVs, which just might happen to be high end OLEDs or LCDs for their time. Or maybe they are rich soccer moms who just buy whatever the retail employee recommends. Let's not stereotype especially since we're in an age where people are more technologically savvy than they used to be. The soccer moms of today aren't the same soccer moms of 15+ years ago.
post #100 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Agreed - just burn em in to one long thread....
I was thinking exactly this. Yesterday there was like 5 burn in threads on top.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-11-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #101 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whoops - you're right. I was thinking of the 940E. Not enough money for a Porsche down payment. Maybe a monthly payment or opt for a nice Porsche Key Chain, instead?

I think the Sony 900E is the best bang for the buck but I know I'm bias since I have two of them - 75X & 49X.
That was the one I first had my eye on, but someone was telling me the 4K upscale was improved on the 930E than the 900E, which is very important for me since most of the content I have is 1080p. And the 930 also brings Dolby Vision, which I imagine will be more important as time goes on.

Last edited by SuperFist; 08-11-2017 at 11:17 AM.
post #102 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5138
Quote:
If the "soccer moms", and everyone else you state should not buy a high end TV would stop purchasing them, I'd venture to guess that, [/b]at the pricing that would result from the narrowing of the market and decreased unit volume,[/b] a large number of the people on this forum would no longer have the means to buy one.

Do you know anything about the TV market?

There are over 200 million TVs sold every year. LG sold 0.8M - 0.9M WOLED TVs last year, and should sell between 1.2M - 1.5M this year (depending on how many get sold by Sony and Panasonic).

We WOLED owners constitute less than 1% of TV buyers.

This entire discussion will have a zero % chance of raising WOLED TV prices.

Whatever the underlying technical issues are, if LG does not address them effectively and WOLED gains a reputation for being delicate and susceptible to burn-in like plasma, the impact will be the technology may never break out of the 'premium' class to take share in the broader market (meaning prices won't be coming down as quickly as LG had hoped).

P10 is a massive investment which will allow LG to supply a total approaching 5% of the TV market by 2022. If LG can't deliver a WOLED TV technology suitable for the mass-market by then, they'll use that factory to manufacture OLED screens for mobile phones.

You're pissed off because LG's assurances led you to expect you'd have nothing to worry about as far as burn-in of your new WOLED TV and now you've painfully discovered that was an overstatement and have damaged your TV.

I'd feel the same way in your shoes.

But please, let's not blow this out of proportion.

Last edited by fafrd; 08-11-2017 at 11:19 AM.
post #103 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
Or they buy the floor models and open-box clearance TVs, which just might happen to be high end OLEDs or LCDs for their time. Or maybe they are rich soccer moms who just buy whatever the retail employee recommends. Let's not stereotype especially since we're in an age where people are more technologically savvy than they used to be. The soccer moms of today aren't the same soccer moms of 15+ years ago.
Im not so sure about that. They are tech-savvy when it comes to phones and facebook, sure. My teen girls have to help with phone crap all the time. LOL.

But TVs? Do they even care about 4K? Do they understand HDR? Do they care about emmissive technology for displays versus backlit? My guess is not at all. Just go to your local Best Buy and peruse the TV area. The soccer Moms arent in deep discussion about Dolby Vision & HLG standards.

Maybe Im wrong but I still bet if you plop own the average person in front of a torched-out LCD next to a calibrated OLED/plasma or high-end LCD that they'd prefer the image of the torched-out TV. And discussion of resolution and dynamic range will be lost on them. Even in this day and age. Just my opinion.

Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #104 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That was the one I first had my eye on, but someone was telling me the 4K upscale was improved on the 930E than the 900E, which is very important for me since most of the content I have is 1080p. And the 930 also brings Dolby Vision, which I imagine will be more important as time goes on.
Whoa - - the 930E, if I remember correctly, is "Edge Lit" versus Full Array (Direct LED) on the 900E. Major, major difference in design and PQ.

The Extreme1 processor will not make up for Edge Lit versus Full Array, IMHO.

Home Theater Setup
post #105 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whoa - - the 930E, if I remember correctly, is "Edge Lit" versus Full Array (Direct LED) on the 900E. Major, major difference in design and PQ.

The Extreme1 processor will not make up for Edge Lit versus Full Array, IMHO.
Wait... seriously!? Uh oh... I have to reconsider this!

I'll be honest, I just saw the picture on the 900E and assumed the 930E would be the same or even better.

Though here is what is said about that Edge Lit array on a comparison weblink:

Quote:
The other major difference between Sony X900E and X900E series is about their backlighting technology where X930E series comes with advanced Edge-lit LED with local dimming called Slim Backlight Drive Plus while X900E comes with Full Array Local dimming. Theoretically, Full Array LED Backlight with local dimming of X900 is better than Edge-lit backlight with local dimming. Nevertheless, because it has more dimming zones and powered by the number of Sony’s most advanced technology, Sony X930E series with Slim Backlight Drive Plus offers better performance in improving black level, brightness, and contrast than X900E series with full array local dimming.
What do you think? No? Marketing mumbo-jumbo?

By the way, I apologize... I didn't mean to hijack this thread with my off-topic posts.

Last edited by SuperFist; 08-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.
post #106 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 3190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post
I am 53 and a life long Vikings fan so I have suffered in silence for years of misguided hope. I now only watch the Vikings to be entertained and if they win it is a bonus. I can't get emotionally involved anymore.
Off topic, but I remember sitting in Metropolitan Stadium watching Fran Tarkenton play. Freezing. Always been a Packer fan, which has resulted in a few more victories over the years. Looking forward to my first football season using an OLED

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #107 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:

I'll be honest, I just saw the picture on the 900E and assumed the 930E would be the same or even better.

Suggest you both take this fascinating discussion to an appropriate thread...
post #108 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Suggest you both take this fascinating discussion to an appropriate thread...
My apologies, sir!
fafrd likes this.
post #109 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 3190
Quote:

By the way, I apologize... I didn't mean to hijack this thread with my off-topic posts.
I would go 930e all day long based on all of the reviews. Better processor and upgrades coming like DV - having a DV capable display I can tell you that you will want that feature. Every review has said the 930e dimming scheme is better than the 900e. For HDR content, much better light output as well. If money doesn't matter and you don't need a 75" display - then pick the better rated display
SuperFist likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #110 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Well, the "mass market" ought to not bother with OLED for more reasons than burn-in. They dont appreciate PQ and are better served by Wal-Mart LCDs running in torch mode to be honest. .

I never meant to imply that it *couldnt* happen under normal use, rather its extremely rare.
Rare when a poll of AV enthusiasts with a large number as previous plasma and rear projector owners are showing a burn in rate of 15%!

Newsflash my friend if 3 out of every 20 mustangs produced is a Shelby there is nothing rare about them.
post #111 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Rare when a poll of AV enthusiasts with a large number as previous plasma and rear projector owners are showing a burn in rate of 15%!

Newsflash my friend if 3 out of every 20 mustangs produced is a Shelby there is nothing rare about them.
Yeah, true. But, whatever on the car example. Irrelevant to this discussion.

So basically using AVS data, 1.5 out of every 10 OLEDs has burn in. So 3 in 20, yeah. What about the likely thousands and thousands of owners that didnt reply to the poll or arent nerds like us and dont come here? What about that *fudged* their use case scenario and did get burn in due to extreme use and or abuse? Gotta throw them out too.

In other words, the relatively tiny AVS community is hardly a large enough sample size. And thats just those that answered the poll and visit the OLED forum. So saying that 15% of OLEDS will get burn in from normal use is rubbish. Not nearly enough data. Its all anecdotal. Just like political polls or any other poll where the sample sizes arent nearly large enough to get accurate data.

Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #112 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you know anything about the TV market?

There are over 200 million TVs sold every year. LG sold 0.8M - 0.9M WOLED TVs last year, and should sell between 1.2M - 1.5M this year (depending on how many get sold by Sony and Panasonic).

We WOLED owners constitute less than 1% of TV buyers.

This entire discussion will have a zero % chance of raising WOLED TV prices.

Whatever the underlying technical issues are, if LG does not address them effectively and WOLED gains a reputation for being delicate and susceptible to burn-in like plasma, the impact will be the technology may never break out of the 'premium' class to take share in the broader market (meaning prices won't be coming down as quickly as LG had hoped).

P10 is a massive investment which will allow LG to supply a total approaching 5% of the TV market by 2022. If LG can't deliver a WOLED TV technology suitable for the mass-market by then, they'll use that factory to manufacture OLED screens for mobile phones

You're pissed off because LG's assurances led you to expect you'd have nothing to worry about as far as burn-in of your new WOLED TV and now you've painfully discovered that was an overstatement and have damaged your TV.

I'd feel the same way in your shoes.

But please, let's not blow this out of proportion.
Unit cost is a function of fixed costs. And the fixed cost per unit increases if volume decreases.

See https://www.accountingtools.com/arti...-per-unit.html for a tutorial.

If OLEDs are restricted to the minuscule videophile market, unit costs (and selling price) will be much higher than if OLED market is extended to the general luxury market. Simple economics.

Last edited by John1948; 08-11-2017 at 02:07 PM.
post #113 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, true. But, whatever on the car example. Irrelevant to this discussion.

So basically using AVS data, 1.5 out of every 10 OLEDs has burn in. So 3 in 20, yeah. What about the likely thousands and thousands of owners that didnt reply to the poll or arent nerds like us and dont come here? What about that *fudged* their use case scenario and did get burn in due to extreme use and or abuse? Gotta throw them out too.

In other words, the relatively tiny AVS community is hardly a large enough sample size. And thats just those that answered the poll and visit the OLED forum. So saying that 15% of OLEDS will get burn in from normal use is rubbish. Not nearly enough data. Its all anecdotal. Just like political polls or any other poll where the sample sizes arent nearly large enough to get accurate data.
Please don't be dismissive.

The poll is not rubbish and over 100 votes is enough to gain some insight. There have been about 10-12 credible reports with burn-in documented in the Forum, so the poll confirms that those are pretty much all we have (so far).

I'm honestly surprised to see that 95 happy WOLED owners (so far) care enough about the technology (probably not care for LG ) to take the time to vote no issue in a poll like this.

The poll was not intended to make an estimate on liklihoid of developing burn-in through *NORMAL* use - it's the folks who have developed burn-in that are jumping up and down screaming they only used their WOLEDs for 'normal' viewing.

To get a handle on what sorts of viewing have the greatest liklihood of causing burn-in will require another poll (one I tried to start twice but bailed on after the second time-out error...).

While I agree with you that I suspect the poll is inflating the issue (for the reason stated above - who wants to put time into helping track down an issue they are not facing when they coud be enjoying their perfect blacks instead ), in it's current form it's an indication that 10-15% of AVS members cause burn-in on their WOLEDs through viewing that they thought would not cause the problem.

We now enough at this stage to have a pretty strong suspicion that burn-in can be caused by default settings when:

-20% plus viewing is CNN or MSNBC

-specific individual video games with bright yellow/orange/red HUD are played for over 20% of viewing (with one report of only 10%)

Those two cases probably summarize over 90% of the reported cases of burn-in.

What we need to understand now is how many owners watch CNN or MSNBC or play those specific video games over 20% of their viewing time and have no burn-in.

If there are many, it may be a quality issue (conpensation or whatever not working properly).

If there are none, then it is pretty clearly a viewing-habit-induced condition that LG is probably going to need to do a better job either preventing through technology or alerting owners through appropriate guidelines before WOLED will be able to expand its market.

And then there is also the issue of materiality - one owner developed burn-in, said it was visible on a red field but never on actual content, told his kid to play the game on another TV and moved on. He's one of the few not jumping up and down and screaming 'false advertising' on these threads.

If the impact of any burn-in on actual content is less visible than the impact of near-black non uniformity of their WOLEDs, all of these owners with burn-in are making a mountsin out of a mole-hill (but several appear to have pretty severe burn-in, especially from CNN/MSNBC).

Since I've never seen any signs of burn-in in the 9 WOLEDs I've owned, I can't judge, but I can live with the occasional DSE during a dark pan in exchange for WOLEDs perfect blacks and if my kids gaming does eventually develop some burn-in that is occasionally visible during a pan or whatever, I'll probably just cut off play of that game and move on, rather than demand a replacement.

But I'm an enthusiast and an early adopter who has knowingly put myself onto the bleeding-edge - if this remains the status quo, LG will never succeed in the larger market where owners will have 0% tolerance to even have to think about burn-in, let alone run slides to check for it.

If this burn-in issue develops into an excessive-vignette-severity issue, it'll be a big problem for LG, and if develops into nothing more than a near-black-streaking-severity issue, they'll probably skate through.

Time will tell (still early days).
no1special likes this.

Last edited by fafrd; 08-11-2017 at 12:59 PM.
post #114 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked: 3786
CNN and MSNBC will never cross my threshold (other than the random Youtube clip that exposes them for what they are). In fact, with the cable cut, infotainment channels will not be the source of any potential BI in my case.
post #115 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
I think the point to take away on the Best Buy power down discussion is to be VERY careful if you are buying a display model, open box or used OLED from anyone. Procedures vary from store to store, throw up some slides before you buy or make sure you can return it once you get it home and check it out.
Most stores in my area leave their TV's run 24/7. At my store we turn off the Magnolia TV's and OLEDs every night, though. In the last 3 years I have seen almost all of the floor model OLEDs have a degree of burn-in. The 2017 model has a new demo reel that alternates between SDR and HDR, so maybe we'll see less burn-in on the current floor models.

If buying an open box or floor model OLED TV, check how many hours are on it and have them play different content than the demo. Burn-in doesn't always show up in the demo. Solid color slides and grey scale are the easiest way to detect burn in. I personally wouldn't buy a floor model TV.

Don't let burn in scare you away from arguably the best picture quality available. If you are really concerned about burn-in, get the extended warranty and don't worry about it. I have a Sony 940e and a EF9500 and to my eyes the OLED trounces the Sony in every way except brightness (and size of course).
fafrd likes this.
post #116 of 158 Old 08-11-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please don't be dismissive.

The poll is not rubbish and over 100 votes is enough to gain some insight. There have been about 10-12 credible reports with burn-in documented in the Forum, so the poll confirms that those are pretty much all we have (so far).

I'm honestly surprised to see that 95 happy WOLED owners (so far) care enough about the technology (probably not care for LG ) to take the time to vote no issue in a poll like this.

The poll was not intended to make an estimate on liklihoid of developing burn-in through *NORMAL* use - it's the folks who have developed burn-in that are jumping up and down screaming they only used their WOLEDs for 'normal' viewing.

To get a handle on what sorts of viewing have the greatest liklihood of causing burn-in will require another poll (one I tried to start twice but bailed on after the second time-out error...).

While I agree with you that I suspect the poll is inflating the issue (for the reason stated above - who wants to put time into helping track down an issue they are not facing when they coud be enjoying their perfect blacks instead ), in it's current form it's an indication that 10-15% of AVS members cause burn-in on their WOLEDs through viewing that they thought would not cause the problem.

We now enough at this stage to have a pretty strong suspicion that burn-in can be caused by default settings when:

-20% plus viewing is CNN or MSNBC

-specific individual video games with bright yellow/orange/red HUD are played for over 20% of viewing (with one report of only 10%)

Those two cases probably summarize over 90% of the reported cases of burn-in.

What we need to understand now is how many owners watch CNN or MSNBC or play those specific video games over 20% of their viewing time and have no burn-in.

If there are many, it may be a quality issue (conpensation or whatever not working properly).

If there are none, then it is pretty clearly a viewing-habit-induced condition that LG is probably going to need to do a better job either preventing through technology or alerting owners through appropriate guidelines before WOLED will be able to expand its market.

And then there is also the issue of materiality - one owner developed burn-in, said it was visible on a red field but never on actual content, told his kid to play the game on another TV and moved on. He's one of the few not jumping up and down and screaming 'false advertising' on these threads.

If the impact of any burn-in on actual content is less visible than the impact of near-black non uniformity of their WOLEDs, all of these owners with burn-in are making a mountsin out of a mole-hill (but several appear to have pretty severe burn-in, especially from CNN/MSNBC).

Since I've never seen any signs of burn-in in the 9 WOLEDs I've owned, I can't judge, but I can live with the occasional DSE during a dark pan in exchange for WOLEDs perfect blacks and if my kids gaming does eventually develop some burn-in that is occasionally visible during a pan or whatever, I'll probably just cut off play of that game and move on, rather than demand a replacement.

But I'm an enthusiast and an early adopter who has knowingly put myself onto the bleeding-edge - if this remains the status quo, LG will never succeed in the larger market where owners will have 0% tolerance to even have to think about burn-in, let alone run slides to check for it.

If this burn-in issue develops into an excessive-vignette-severity issue, it'll be a big problem for LG, and if develops into nothing more than a near-black-streaking-severity issue, they'll probably skate through.

Time will tell (still early days).
Well said. Wasn't trying to be dismissive, just putting it into perspective numbers wise. We're good. And yes, LG won't get my repeat business if I should develop burn in or whatever else. No way. I'm not brand loyal to them at all. So far I am very pleased with my set. Knock on oak. If that doesn't hold true for many years then it's back to xxxxxxx brand!

Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #117 of 158 Old 08-14-2017, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

I took a look at Sony's online warranty on its OLED TV's. I could NOT find an exclusion for "burn in" on Sony's warranty. The warranty does exclude "abuse" but does seem to specifically call out "burn in" as abuse (at least as far as I can find).

Does Sony cover "burn-in" damage under its warranty?

https://docs.sony.com/release//Warranty_459533302.pdf

Last edited by John1948; 08-14-2017 at 07:27 AM.
post #118 of 158 Old 08-19-2017, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have a lot of experience with OLEDs and I will tell you frankly, you will have burn in with any static image (especially white) as the panel ages. I can make every single AMOLED phone burn in doing one thing and I learned this from experience. Playing PEAK brain training, it uses a static white button on the lop left of the display permanently while you play the game. A few hours a day and that button will be permanently on the top left corner of your screen as a shadow. The fact that I have duplicated this on multiple models and multiple generations of OLED phones speaks to something larger than LG. It is an inherent part of OLED technology. And I think it always has been. The advice I would give to you is never display static images or logos on ANY OLED especially if your panel is a bit aged, and especially if its a bright color. White is the worst. Just treat it as an inherent atribute of OLED, which it is and use your TV for watching movies etc. For people wanting this issue to disappear, its not going to disappear. As peoples panels age and if they display static images, it will happen to everybody eventually. Now I have never used this as a reason not to buy an OLED, because the picture quality is still top notch, so much better than LCD that I still continue buying OLEDs by choice, but you have to just learn to accept this as inherent
post #119 of 158 Old 08-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Z9D looks better every day....
post #120 of 158 Old 08-19-2017, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked: 3786
White is actually not the worst on WOLED, at least in the first 5000 hours. Red is the weak point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page