Troubles with LG OLED "Burn IN" and LG - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 85Likes
Closed Thread

post #121 of 158 Old 08-19-2017, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
By the way, for those who will inevitably question what my experience with OLEDs is over the long term, I will tell you a little about me. I am not an expert, I am not a scientist, but I work for a large wireless company. Since 2010 and the release of the Samsung Vibrant, when I first saw an OLED display, I have been single minded and passionate about OLED. I have purchased every version of the S series, and OLED tablets, since that time. So S2, S3, S4, S5 etc.I even bought stock in Universal Display back in 2011 because I knew OLED was the future. I am also sadly one who never sells or get rid of things, I can never bear to part with them. So I use all of my like 10 models of OLED dsplays to this day, and have inherent knowledge of how these things age through experience. OLED is beautiful but it does have its quirks as I stated in my post above. The things you all are finding out now, what you call vignetting, your realisations about burn in of static images, I have known these things for years, but you know the way I think about it? Its just how an OLED looks. Infact in a way its kind of endearing, because OLED has a very distinct 'look'. And these are just attributes that are a part of its je ne sais quos. I dont think itll ever go away, but there is a reason I will always only buy OLEDs still after close to 8 years of usage, and knowing its limitations and inherent aspects, and that is because the picture quality is so much superior because it is a non backlight technology, that even on my S5 for example, with the PEAK button burn in the most apparent, I still go to that phone every day as my workhorse. And I love these panels to this day. Even ones that are aged and over 5 years old. There is something about OLED. It is the bright neonish punchy colors and the infinite blacks that put it over anything else, but you just have to accept the things it also has as 'side effects' of bringing you such a great picture
cheapcheapskate likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 158 Old 08-19-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMey View Post
I have a lot of experience with OLEDs and I will tell you frankly, you will have burn in with any static image (especially white) as the panel ages. I can make every single AMOLED phone burn in doing one thing and I learned this from experience. Playing PEAK brain training, it uses a static white button on the lop left of the display permanently while you play the game. A few hours a day and that button will be permanently on the top left corner of your screen as a shadow. The fact that I have duplicated this on multiple models and multiple generations of OLED phones speaks to something larger than LG. It is an inherent part of OLED technology. And I think it always has been. The advice I would give to you is never display static images or logos on ANY OLED especially if your panel is a bit aged, and especially if its a bright color. White is the worst. Just treat it as an inherent atribute of OLED, which it is and use your TV for watching movies etc. For people wanting this issue to disappear, its not going to disappear. As peoples panels age and if they display static images, it will happen to everybody eventually. Now I have never used this as a reason not to buy an OLED, because the picture quality is still top notch, so much better than LCD that I still continue buying OLEDs by choice, but you have to just learn to accept this as inherent
Maybe white is the main culprit of burn in with the AMOLEDs you've experienced, but not with LG OLED TVs. With LG OLED TVs, the most reported burn in has occurred from yellow, orange, and red. Our set has burn in from MSNBC network. The yellow, orange, and red static elements have burned in, but the white static elements, that have been displayed on the screen for the same amount of time as the colored elements, have not burned in.
post #123 of 158 Old 08-20-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4313 Post(s)
Liked: 3749
I am fully aware of the Samsung RGB AMOLED phones (I have owned a couple) and the architectural differences, but it seemed to me he was transposing those specific issues to WOLED also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 158 Old 08-20-2017, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Please don't be dismissive.

The poll is not rubbish and over 100 votes is enough to gain some insight. There have been about 10-12 credible reports with burn-in documented in the Forum, so the poll confirms that those are pretty much all we have (so far).

I'm honestly surprised to see that 95 happy WOLED owners (so far) care enough about the technology (probably not care for LG ) to take the time to vote no issue in a poll like this.

The poll was not intended to make an estimate on liklihoid of developing burn-in through *NORMAL* use - it's the folks who have developed burn-in that are jumping up and down screaming they only used their WOLEDs for 'normal' viewing.

To get a handle on what sorts of viewing have the greatest liklihood of causing burn-in will require another poll (one I tried to start twice but bailed on after the second time-out error...).

While I agree with you that I suspect the poll is inflating the issue (for the reason stated above - who wants to put time into helping track down an issue they are not facing when they coud be enjoying their perfect blacks instead ), in it's current form it's an indication that 10-15% of AVS members cause burn-in on their WOLEDs through viewing that they thought would not cause the problem.

We now enough at this stage to have a pretty strong suspicion that burn-in can be caused by default settings when:

-20% plus viewing is CNN or MSNBC

-specific individual video games with bright yellow/orange/red HUD are played for over 20% of viewing (with one report of only 10%)

Those two cases probably summarize over 90% of the reported cases of burn-in.

What we need to understand now is how many owners watch CNN or MSNBC or play those specific video games over 20% of their viewing time and have no burn-in.

If there are many, it may be a quality issue (conpensation or whatever not working properly).

If there are none, then it is pretty clearly a viewing-habit-induced condition that LG is probably going to need to do a better job either preventing through technology or alerting owners through appropriate guidelines before WOLED will be able to expand its market.

And then there is also the issue of materiality - one owner developed burn-in, said it was visible on a red field but never on actual content, told his kid to play the game on another TV and moved on. He's one of the few not jumping up and down and screaming 'false advertising' on these threads.

If the impact of any burn-in on actual content is less visible than the impact of near-black non uniformity of their WOLEDs, all of these owners with burn-in are making a mountsin out of a mole-hill (but several appear to have pretty severe burn-in, especially from CNN/MSNBC).

Since I've never seen any signs of burn-in in the 9 WOLEDs I've owned, I can't judge, but I can live with the occasional DSE during a dark pan in exchange for WOLEDs perfect blacks and if my kids gaming does eventually develop some burn-in that is occasionally visible during a pan or whatever, I'll probably just cut off play of that game and move on, rather than demand a replacement.

But I'm an enthusiast and an early adopter who has knowingly put myself onto the bleeding-edge - if this remains the status quo, LG will never succeed in the larger market where owners will have 0% tolerance to even have to think about burn-in, let alone run slides to check for it.

If this burn-in issue develops into an excessive-vignette-severity issue, it'll be a big problem for LG, and if develops into nothing more than a near-black-streaking-severity issue, they'll probably skate through.

Time will tell (still early days).
Over what period of time did you own 9 OLED's? Didn't you own 9 OLEDs as a result of buying and returning sets within your return window for imperfections?

In case you're wondering, my setup: Sony 65x930E, Denon x3200W, 2 Martin Logan 35XT, 1 ML Motion 8 Center Channel, and 1 ML Dynamo 700W Sub.
post #125 of 158 Old 08-21-2017, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^Yes, I agree that's a loose definition of the word "own."
post #126 of 158 Old 08-21-2017, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
^^Yes, I agree that's a loose definition of the word "own."
Should let him respond before we assume. If he put 600-700 hrs on each one before return it will be good enough for the info to be helpful.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #127 of 158 Old 08-22-2017, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
Over what period of time did you own 9 OLED's? Didn't you own 9 OLEDs as a result of buying and returning sets within your return window for imperfections?
Yeah, of the first 8 defective OLEDs I plowed through, most were returned at the end of the return window (so about 3 months).

LG let me keep my last defective 65EF9500 for a full year until it was replaced with my current 65C6P.

So only 2 of my 9 OLEDs got past 700 hours and if I could, I probably should change my vote to '0 of 2'

We've learned so much since I first started this poll, I think I'm going to let this one fade into the ether and start a better / more effective one...
post #128 of 158 Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, of the first 8 defective OLEDs I plowed through, most were returned at the end of the return window (so about 3 months).

LG let me keep my last defective 65EF9500 for a full year until it was replaced with my current 65C6P.

So only 2 of my 9 OLEDs got past 700 hours and if I could, I probably should change my vote to '0 of 2'

We've learned so much since I first started this poll, I think I'm going to let this one fade into the ether and start a better / more effective one...
Sounds good.

So that's a high number of defective TVs. What was wrong with them?
post #129 of 158 Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Sounds good.

So that's a high number of defective TVs. What was wrong with them?
First 4 were 55EC9300s and all had dimpled screens (you 2016/2017 WOLED owners don't even know what a dimpled screen looked like - imagine someone wacking 3-5 golf balls into your screen while it was still drying/hardening ).

Next 4 were 65EF9500s, all of which had excessive vignette and poor near-white uniformity.

My 65C6P is good enough that I can wait out the next two years of developments/improvements/settlng-down before upgrading again.

I absolutely love the perfect blacks of OLED TV, but I'm going to hold off recommending the technology to friends that watch any meaningful amount of CNN or MSNBC until we get a handle on this situation...
post #130 of 158 Old 08-22-2017, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Do you know what the "local dimming" setting controls in Ezadjust-tool 3 menu? Its selectable but I usually research before I just change something....

post #131 of 158 Old 08-22-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixe View Post
Do you know what the "local dimming" setting controls in Ezadjust-tool 3 menu? Its selectable but I usually research before I just change something....

No.

Suggest you convince one of the guys that already has burn-in to toggle it.

What is the default setting and what other options are there?
post #132 of 158 Old 08-22-2017, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First 4 were 55EC9300s and all had dimpled screens (you 2016/2017 WOLED owners don't even know what a dimpled screen looked like - imagine someone wacking 3-5 golf balls into your screen while it was still drying/hardening ).

Next 4 were 65EF9500s, all of which had excessive vignette and poor near-white uniformity.

My 65C6P is good enough that I can wait out the next two years of developments/improvements/settlng-down before upgrading again.

I absolutely love the perfect blacks of OLED TV, but I'm going to hold off recommending the technology to friends that watch any meaningful amount of CNN or MSNBC until we get a handle on this situation...
Wow! That's pretty bad. I don't blame you for returning them.

Regarding recommending the TV, I would include any channel with static yellow, orange, red or shades of these colors. I know Fox News has static reds, and someone got burn in from Sky News' static yellow. Recently, we've had what I think is our first report of burn in from static green. The news regarding burn in seems to be getting worse for LG, not better.
post #133 of 158 Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's because the ownership levels are increasing. Based on the demos getting burn-in, this was an inevitable side effect of the TVs getting into more homes. It was an EF9500 owner who experienced green burn-in (where the pixel stack is unique to the 2016/17 models).
post #134 of 158 Old 08-24-2017, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A b6 owner myself. Bought a Oled55b6p floor model at Microcenter it has slight burn in with 3 faint grey lines on the bottom right portion of the screen. http://imgur.com/gallery/btI9i. Not sure if it will go away within reasonable amount of time since the TV has already accumulated 4400 hours. Debating whether or not to return it. Somebody offered a B7 to me for less than the price of the b6 combined with a store warranty since the b6 didnt have a manufacturers warranty. The b7 still has a manufacturers warranty. Wondering why the person was offering it for such a low price. Like $500 below average ebay price seems fishy to me. Wondering if that specific b7 is defective even though I had the owner send me a pic with the total power on hours being at 0. Any thoughts on whether to keep it or not would be appreciated.
post #135 of 158 Old 08-24-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Starke View Post
A b6 owner myself. Bought a Oled55b6p floor model at Microcenter it has slight burn in with 3 faint grey lines on the bottom right portion of the screen. http://imgur.com/gallery/btI9i.
You should check it with colored slides, especially red, which will probably make it much more apparent.
post #136 of 158 Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
OLED65B6P LG Burn in

John,
I have an LG 65 inch that has the CNN logo permanently burned in. It's mostly visible as a ghost on lighter background scenes but it drives me crazy. I purchased it in December of 2016. I will never by LG products again. There technical support is horrendous.
ABT Electronics our local AV dealer did do an onsite and but all they could recommend was the to use "Clear Panel Noise" advance settings to keep trying to reset the pixels. I still do the panel noise recalibration at least 2x a week in hopes that it will go away.
Unfortunately, nowadays a lot of CNN is on at our house.

We have LG Smart Washer and Dryers and the IOS app support was horrific. (Basically the smart functions are useless on the appliance then.)

I wish LG had a remote clue what it takes to be a successful commercial electronics company.

If anyone has any suggestions, please post.

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1948 View Post
As background, after earning a Ph. D. in chemistry, I worked in the flat panel display for over a decade, many years of which were specifically focused on OLED display technology. As such, when I purchased two LG OLED55E6P sets, one in 2016 and one in early 2017, I was well aware of the potential of irreversible OLED pixel aging ("burn in") occurring if the technology was not implemented correctly (i.e pixel shifting of static images, etc) or through user abuse (i.e. displaying static images at full brightness for extended periods of time.

LG has gone on record indicating that "burn in" is rare except under extended display of a static image at peak brightness conditions. Accordingly, from "day one" on both sets, I have routinely, and almost exclusively to date, used the LG default APS setting when viewing content that displays static content such as logos, banners, etc. Both sets, so far have been used to view primarily cable content such as CNN, MSNBC, and other miscellaneous channels with the usual channel surfing.

Fast forward to today:

1) In the case of the older set, with approximately 825 hours of viewing time, I have not been able to detect any evidence of "burn in" when displaying a uniform red background

2) In the case of the newer set however, with only approximately 675 hours of viewing time, I have seen definite evidence of "burn in" when displaying a uniform red background (the CNN logo and banner).

3) At LG's direction, after I have completing numerous (approximately seven) manual, one hour, compensation cycles on the set displaying the "burned in" CNN logo/banner image, the "burn in" has been reduced but is still detectable.

Bottom Line:

1) In my experience, despite LG's assurances the risk of 'burn in" in LG's 2016 OLED sets is real even if the sets are used at low power APS display settings with content that includes static images (i.e. almost all cable tv channels)

2) Multiple extended LG's compensation cycles did not eliminate "burn in" in my case, even when the apparent "burn in" resulted from low power settings

3) Based upon the fact that one of my OLED55E6P sets displays 'burn in" and the other does not after similar use, it is possible that there is enough LG OLED panel to panel variability that some panels are significantly more susceptible to "burn in" than others. Unfortunately, in contrast to initial panel uniformity, the results of this variabilty will likely not show up until the return period has long expired.

4) LG states: "It is rare for an average TV consumer to create an environment that could result in burn-in. Most cases of burn-in in televisions is a result of static images or on-screen elements displaying on the screen uninterrupted for many hours or days at a time ? with brightness typically at peak levels". In my case, I would strongly disagree with this claim.

5) After explaining this situation to LG in detail, LG refused to offer any assistance, simply stating it does not warrant against "burn in" regardless of the circumstances.

My Conclusion:

Before buying an OLED TV from LG, repeat the phrase "caveat emptor" three times.....
post #137 of 158 Old 12-27-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No CEM is perfect. This is probably one reason why Samsung has avoided emissive on their TVs since the death of plasma. Samsung is the CEM I love to hate (their engineering shortcuts have actually resulted in threats to life and limb with their exploding batteries and washing machines, the latter of which I own) and will personally be avoiding them moving forward as long as I live.
post #138 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
A b6 owner myself. Bought a Oled55b6p floor model at Microcenter it has slight burn in with 3 faint grey lines on the bottom right portion of the screen. http://imgur.com/gallery/btI9i. Not sure if it will go away within reasonable amount of time since the TV has already accumulated 4400 hours. Debating whether or not to return it. Somebody offered a B7 to me for less than the price of the b6 combined with a store warranty since the b6 didnt have a manufacturers warranty. The b7 still has a manufacturers warranty. Wondering why the person was offering it for such a low price. Like $500 below average ebay price seems fishy to me. Wondering if that specific b7 is defective even though I had the owner send me a pic with the total power on hours being at 0. Any thoughts on whether to keep it or not would be appreciated.
I don't see it on my laptop. But I'll take your word for it of course. My vote is return it.

The B7...yea that sounds strange. Why he did not simply return it for his money back, as opposed to selling it at a loss. Might want to just ask him why he does not simply return it. You might get the truth.
post #139 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 56
[QUOTE=dieselboyx;54603992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyz View Post
This is some news as I was planning to buy the sony oled for my ps4pro but I guess I should settle for a good lcd as my tv viewing is very high and burn is the last thing I want to see while watching[/QUOTE

I'm beginning to regret my 55b6 purchase because I'm hesitant to do much gaming on my set.

I think I would have gone to a 65" led if I could choose again. I'm considering moving this TV to my bedroom so I can have some marathon gaming sessions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
6 more months the sky will definitely be falling. this crap only cropped up a week ago, we are just getting started. wheres my popcorn?
Many people have had this tv for over a year, and have zero issues. Trollers got to troll. You bought an open box tv with 3200 hours on it and you got burned. So because you bought one that was displaying a non stop loop, its going to be a massive issue.
https://youtu.be/LMH57j1QSLE

Please see my link.... I have 3 oleds, all bought new and not open box (never buy an open box oled due to loops being played on store models)

Anyways I have an Alienware 13 oled!!! For over 2 years now and do nothing but game/ run widows/ and do microsoft word and excel for work. Occasional Netflix movie. Zero burn in after 2 years and that?s the video I uploaded which I thought more people would want to see the higher burn in chance oled

I have an lg9500 from 2015 zero burn in did all the same tests and nothing. I can upload a video of that but again chose to upload the Alienware oled. Also this tv has been the bedroom tv for about 8 months straight and the only person that watches it is my wife who wakes up and puts on the local news with the ticker and after 8 months of that no burn in at all, 30 mins a day every week day.

Finally I have the song a1e by far the best looking one out of the 3. I love this, bought it in maybe August or very late July so hard for burn in to happen in like 5 months. However it is the main tv and gets the most hours by far.... again no burn in but didn?t expect any on them...

I told 2 of my friends when they bought their first house to go with he 9300 oled 4K was soo new in 2015 and told them not to go 4K cause they were tighter on cash and had both of them run color images and no burn in on either of their TVs. They were more worried about color reproduction in the pictures cause I was using a better phone canera trying to defend their TVs saying theirs was just as saturated in person lol. I know of 5 oleds in person that I can see first hand since 2015 and one from 2017. No issues at all with burn in and one is strictly for gaming and Microsoft Windows. We also do a ton of gaming on our oleds, at least twice a month we play call of duty zombies and game for 5-6 hours straight so lots of static images for all the TVs not just the Alienware.

Hope that helps and I can upload all 5 TVs since 2015 if you guys don?t believe me. My friends can easily video their 2 and I can do my other 2
post #140 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
I would undoubtedly return your B6 and get a full refund. Then, you can take your time to reassess your purchase options. The 2018 versions of OLED's will be displayed at CES and, from that point on, the 2017 model years sets will probably only get less expensive. Super Bowl discounts also provide another buying opportunity.

Sony XBR55A1E
LG OLED55E6P
post #141 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Delighted With What I Have

Caught this notice regarding OLED "burn in" in my email, AVS Top Threads. While not in the market for something to replace my 10 year old performing-like-new non OLED Samsung, curiosity led me to read this thread which subsequently convinced me my eyes were correct years ago in telling me that OLED images look far better than they actually are.

Last edited by cheapcheapskate; 12-28-2017 at 11:34 AM.
post #142 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 51
How to Avoid Plasma (Oops, I mean OLED) Burn-in

Does LG offer any sort of feature to help avoid burn-in on their OLED models?

About 10 years ago we bought a Pioneer 5020 new in a box. Aware of the possibility of burn-in, Pioneer included an "Orbiter" feature which automatically shifts the position of the picture slightly at some preset interval (probably after several seconds). Also included is a manually-activated "Video Pattern" which displays a nearly white screen for about an hour followed by powering the TV down to Standby mode. Other options to help prevent burn-in and/or extend panel life include "Movie" mode (good for viewing in a dark room), "Optimum" mode (a light sensor measures light in the room and brightens or darkens the picture to compensate), and "Energy Saver" mode which decreases picture brightness and reduces power consumption (another OK-in-a-dark-room option).

We have always used the Orbiter feature, but never the Video Pattern or Energy Saver. 80% of our viewing is from our HTPC, using the Pioneer as a computer monitor and for watching TV. The other 20% is with our Blu-ray player. On the PC input we use the "Standard" picture setting, adjusted for daytime viewing with a variety of test patterns. Occasionally, we switch to "Video" instead of "PC", thus giving us access to the punchier "Sport" picture setting for football games, etc. Sport is also sometimes used when viewing Blu-ray, but not often.

The TV is turned on each morning and often remains on for about 16 hours. Between 2 and 6 hours of that time the Display is set to "Display Off" which makes the screen go dark, yet allows us to play music while doing other things (HTPC and Blu-ray player are both connected first to the TV then to DAC/amplifier/speakers via the Pioneer's digital audio out port).

During the 10 years of ownership we have never experienced any evidence of burn-in. It's also true we never leave the TV on a news or other channel which displays a logo or banner. Basically, we ran the TV about 6 to 8 hours a day on the Movie setting and a variety of channels for the first month or so. After that, we began using it full time as both monitor and TV.

I mention these things in the hope that it may help some new OLED users adopt a usage pattern that avoids screen burn-in. And again, I wonder which, if any, suggestions or features LG and others may include for their OLED models?
post #143 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We own an LG OLED55C7P. The Settings display reports 367 hours in use. This set is our primary TV, use mostly for Tablo OTA and Roku/Fire TV viewing (we are cord-cutters and have no cable subscription). We have an OPPO UDP-203 for physical media.
We see no evidence of burn-in.
post #144 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
To see pix of how bad LG burn-in looks go to rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled[/url]

I have Screen Shift enabled on my 2016 OLED65E6P, and use Clear Panel Noise but it doesn't help. I tried to get it fixed under warranty.

I was pretty shocked when LG told me: To give you a heads up, burn in is not covered by our manufacture warranty and repair services may incur service fees. Although coverage may not be provided, LG will stand behind the product by means of extending assistance in ensuring that repair services may be provided. In this regard, we recommend to also check LG authorized service centers in your area.

The service center told me fixing it would cost more than a new TV.

I hope there is eventually a class action suit I can join.
post #145 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 11:48 AM

Interesting Observation

Every PHD I encountered in my life time told me he/she was a PHD even if I didn't ask.
post #146 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcheapskate View Post
Caught this notice regarding OLED "burn in" in my email, AVS Top Threads. While not in the market for something to replace my 10 year old performing-like-new non OLED Samsung, curiosity led me to read this thread which subsequently convinced me my eyes were correct years ago in telling me that OLED images look far better than they actually are.
Subjective impressions aside, nearly every shootout and professional review suggest otherwise (thanks to that all important contrast ratio, which is most visibly defined by the denominator aka black level). Emissive has always been a risky venture, which doesn't take away from its superiority over transmissive.
post #147 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcheapskate View Post
Every PHD I encountered in my life time told me he/she was a PHD even if I didn't ask.
The only people I've encountered who are resentful of academic achievement are those who haven't achieved it

Sony XBR55A1E
LG OLED55E6P

Last edited by John1948; 12-28-2017 at 12:21 PM.
post #148 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
political posts removed. Political comments/jokes etc are not allowed on AVS...mild or otherwise.

thanks
post #149 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I was unsure of what exactly APS stood for so I looked it up and found this interesting and somewhat informative LG video http://www.lg.com/us/support/answers...4/best-picture

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, AA5 and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #150 of 158 Old 12-28-2017, 12:39 PM

In the long run we're all dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page