Deciding Between 55 or 65 C7 LG OLED?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SynergyNT

post #1 of 13 Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Deciding Between 55 or 65 C7 LG OLED??

A bit of background as the C7 will be in our main living space and form is just as important as function in the application. I have a very tolerant wife who lets me do whatever I please in our theater room which has a JVC RS500 and 106 inch screen viewing from about 12 feet away. Given the C7 will be in the main hub in our house and not a dedicated theater room the decision making criteria is a bit different. That said, I tend to watch the now Pioneer plasma three times more that the projector. Our current Pioneer Kuro plasma is a 55 inch display and it has served us well and owes us nothing but is long in the tooth and OLED is a worthy upgrade! I am struggling with what size to purchase and I know that many think there is no such thing as too big, I beg to differ, if the display looks out of place or disproportionate to the room it simply is a no go. The 55 fits the space nicely in a 22 long by 14 wide room and our main viewing area is about 8-10 feet away depending on where you are sitting. I took a piece of my wife's white craft board and cut it to 65 inch display size and placed it on the wall where our 55 is now and wow this looks big!! I know that a 65 is about 30 come percent bigger and I am used to seeing the 55 in this spot but I am struggling trying to get past the 65 size. I really wanted to go 65 but I am on the fence. Another consideration is the 55 will simply have less artifacts then the 55 and I will be mostly viewing Directv compressed content so the 55 will more then likely be the better choice in that regard.

I would love to hear from folks that faced this same situation and what the end decision was and if they are happy with the choice they made.

Thanks everyone and happy viewing...Looking forward to the NFL season on a new display, what size will it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-10-2017, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 158
If you actually measure the dimensions of the Kuro versus the C7 it won't be that much difference. We replaced our 55" Panny in our hearth room with a 65" C6 and it now seems perfectly fine even though we sit 6-7 feet from the set.

Bish
post #3 of 13 Old 08-10-2017, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
If you actually measure the dimensions of the Kuro versus the C7 it won't be that much difference. We replaced our 55" Panny in our hearth room with a 65" C6 and it now seems perfectly fine even though we sit 6-7 feet from the set.

Bish
I did one better, I placed my mock-up directly over the Plasma for a minute with the plasma running and outlined to Kuru with the bezel so we have a good comparison of the difference. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it and look forward to others have to say.Like I said I am excited about the prospect of a 65 just want to make sure it does not look out of place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 280
It's all up to your household's aesthetics. If you and your wife think it looks too big, then it is. (Though keeping in mind that bezels, electronics, etc. may be smaller on the newer set makes sense too.) If funds are available, you might also consider one of the higher-end LG models with the picture-on-glass design to further reduce the set's presence in the room. But given that you have a dedicated theater already, I'd err on the side of smaller. You can always head down to the theater room for dedicated movie viewing or whatever.

Personally, I'm about to put a 65" C7 in a 13' x 15' room and my wife and I are perfectly fine with that. But we don't have a dedicated theater either, and that's the biggest space we've got.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Honestly if you think you will be happy with 55" go for it. I sit about 8.5 feet away from my 55C6 and it's perfect for me, altough for some more compressed stuff on Netflix and even on some blu ray content it's really easy to see flaws which is annoying.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-10-2017, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
It's all up to your household's aesthetics. If you and your wife think it looks too big, then it is. (Though keeping in mind that bezels, electronics, etc. may be smaller on the newer set makes sense too.) If funds are available, you might also consider one of the higher-end LG models with the picture-on-glass design to further reduce the set's presence in the room. But given that you have a dedicated theater already, I'd err on the side of smaller. You can always head down to the theater room for dedicated movie viewing or whatever.

Personally, I'm about to put a 65" C7 in a 13' x 15' room and my wife and I are perfectly fine with that. But we don't have a dedicated theater either, and that's the biggest space we've got.
The picture on glass would absolutely be my first choice if the speaker under the display was removable as I do not need a panel with any type of speaker or soundbar as I have that covered.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-10-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 78
My living room is 17'x11' (more like 14'x11' if you discount the door and walkway that can't really be used for furniture) and I currently have a 55" DLP. Planning on replacing it with a 65" C7 or maybe one of the other similar models. I haven't measured it exactly, but with the extra space that my 55" takes up due to it being old, I don't think the 65" is going to look much bigger. I haven't measured my viewing distance, but it's probably around 6'. I think the main reason I'm looking at the 65" is just because of diminishing returns with the increased resolution. I have to get pretty close to my current TV to see the pixels (don't think rear projection is technically pixels, but whatever) so at some point you're not getting much more out of resolution. I'm anticipating the addition of HDR will be nice.
sickkent likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-10-2017, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 136
With respect, are you sure your Kuro is a 55? Mine was a 50, and I'm sure when I bought it all those years ago the only sizes were 50 and 60". As mentioned, the Kuro has a much thicker bezel than the OLEDs, so the overall footprint relative to the screen size is smaller. I find that my new LG 65" looked "big" for about a week, and now that novelty has worn off and I don't even notice the size...

Last edited by Culpepper; 08-10-2017 at 04:18 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-10-2017, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpepper View Post
With respect, are you sure your Kuro is a 55? Mine was a 50, and I'm sure when I bought it all those years ago the only sizes were 50 and 60". As mentioned, the Kuro has a much thicker bezel than the OLEDs, so the overall footprint relative to the screen size is smaller. I find that my new LG 65" looked "big" for about a week, and now that novelty has worn off and I don't even notice the size...
Culpepper you are correct sir it is a 50...And the whole bezel arguement is spot on as the 65 with no bezel is not all that much bigger. The speaker on the picture on glass does not add the much to the overall dimension so maybe we have a winner.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post
The speaker on the picture on glass does not add the much to the overall dimension so maybe we have a winner.
I believe the G-series is the one that has a foldable sound bar. I'm not clear on just how that works - it seems like it would add significant thickness and complicate the wall mount, but I've not seen it in action. Or go all the way up to a 65" W-series - that sticks you with the control/sound bar, but it at least doesn't need to be on the wall and let's you hang the screen right up against it. All too rich for my blood, but cool tech.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-11-2017, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It looks like a trip to BB Magnolia is in my Friday plan to see just how this G series sound bar operates. I will be using my Marantz 7702 and a family of Dali speakers for sound so I wish I could get a panel that has the picture on glass with no sound bar but oh well. I am going to go investigate and check it out.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post
I wish I could get a panel that has the picture on glass with no sound bar but oh well.
You need at least the various input ports and power/control electronics, so you can't have *just* the picture-on-glass. I guess LG's thought in designing the W series was that they might as well build a soundbar around those components since the model would presumably appeal to style-conscious buyers that don't want a full speaker setup. And if you're buying an $8-20K TV for a full AV setup then a spurious soundbar is probably the least of your financial concerns, though it still takes up some space.

Now, it would be completely bad ass for someone to hack apart a W series base, strip out all the sound components, and install it a custom/hidden enclosure.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-11-2017, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just got back from Best Buy Magnolia to do some measuring on the G and E series. The G soundbar does indeed fold back on itself primarily so it can be wall mounted. hen folded back the G is still about a half inch taller then the E...

Side note, I had the sales rep change the feed to the Directv signal on the G7 and boy did the picture look god awful. If that is representative of compressed Directv signal my Pioneer Kuro looks much better then it the OLED did working with a garbage signal...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page