HDTVtest TV Shootout Results: OLED Sweeps All Categories - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 656Likes

post #271 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
^^Lookin' "good" in that cult-like bubble you've concocted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 04:12 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtack View Post
HI-END models of SONY are always the best!!!
12 years of home tests with other brands and the winner is ...........SONY!!!
Ohh My Dear ONE AND ONLY EYEKEEPER-THANK YOU!!!

Hum... Welcome to the forum!??

Since this is your very first post on AVS, may I recommend that you go back and read this Thread.

Starting with Post #1! [LINK]

Maybe you'll learn something new.

Just sayin'

Richard
Gillietalls and Cam1977 like this.
post #273 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
^^Lookin' "good" in that cult-like bubble you've concocted.
Right - funny stuff
Gillietalls and Cam1977 like this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked: 8247
Quote:
This is best read while listening to the Twilight Zone theme.
post #275 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
This is best read while listening to the Twilight Zone theme.
Now that's a show I haven't seen in ages!
King Richard likes this.
post #276 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Wait a minute...

Are you trying to say that there's no such thing as "alternative facts???

Cover your ears children!
u
I think what some are missing (not you) is how far off-axis someone is sitting while saying they see no color shift.

Yes, there can be a visible color shift, but for many people they won't see it because they're not sitting far enough off-axis. I'm sure there is a point off-axis where instrumentation will pick up the shift, but most eyes won't. As the angle increases further, more eyes will pick up the shift and begin to see what the colorimeter sees.

Either way, the degradation of OLED (color shift) at significant viewing angles pales by comparison to the same viewing angle degradation of LCD (color & contrast). No comparison.

So for those that think posters that claim they can't see the OLED shift are blind or in denial of facts, get a grip. There are shades of gray and it's important to know where the poster sits in terms of both viewing angle and distance from his display.

This is just common sense and that's something that doesn't always abound on AVS.
post #277 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think what some are missing (not you) is how far off-axis someone is sitting while saying they see no color shift.

Yes, there can be a visible color shift, but for many people they won't see it because they're not sitting far enough off-axis. I'm sure there is a point off-axis where instrumentation will pick up the shift, but most eyes won't. As the angle increases further, more eyes will pick up the shift and begin to see what the colorimeter sees.

Either way, the degradation of OLED (color shift) at significant viewing angles pales by comparison to the same viewing angle degradation of LCD (color & contrast). No comparison.

So for those that think posters that claim they can't see the OLED shift are blind or in denial of facts, get a grip. There are shades of gray and it's important to know where the poster sits in terms of both viewing angle and distance from his display.

This is just common sense and that's something that doesn't always abound on AVS.
I agree.
BigCoolJesus likes this.
post #278 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
OLED Rules! OLED Rules! That being said, I'll probably never own one in my lifetime. Not at the price points for larger screens - 75" and above.

All the OLED worshipppers are patting themselves on the back, knowing they have the GTVOAT. End of discussion.
Herbiehusker likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #279 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
LG 65 B7 best after extensive reviews

My experience for what it is worth. I sadly couldn't attend this event but would love to have seen each side by side as properly calibrated, and so my reviews were likely on less than perfectly calibrated sets! I spent the last 3 months checking various TVs in various shops time and time again (big purchase needs care!) and had come to the conclusion that the LG 65 B7 was the one to go for, so ordered and now received. I had got down to a short list with the LG and the Sony Z9D. Never saw the Sony A1 OLED showing colours that seemed natural (skin tones) whatever the settings and just disappointed. (I did try various settings - why do manufactures think that potential buyers of these TVs want to see the awful Vivid setting by default in store?) Anyhow, sound not important because I have high end surround sound. The Panasonic and its lower priced OLED version were also great but both more expensive, didn't support all the HDR standards and maybe lacked some of the HDR wow that I saw on the LG. Never saw a Samsung that I really liked, especially as the high end QLEDs were as expensive as OLEDs. The LG never disappointed. The Sony Z9D had a few better than LG moments (bright HDR) but not by much and often the LG was so much better, especially on Blu-ray and various HD sources. i also preferred the LG internal upscaling of lower quality sources than the Sony, which was a huge surprise. I ended up buying the LG and whilst I have not managed to watch that much in the first few days or ownership - some Blu-rays and off air BBC have already made me think 'wow'. I want to watch all my movies again just to get that extra impact. I feel I have only touched the surface of its potential and tweaking and understanding of best settings for type of materials are still to be understood. I have started by using the upscaling from Panasonic DMP-UB900 rather than the LG for disc based material, but will compare to LG at some point. Streaming services accessed from the LG such as Amazon Prime work and look great! I would have been happy with every OLED I reviewed but the LG for me was the best all rounder and certainly the best value. Happy shopping.
post #280 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 4000 Post(s)
Liked: 3175
Personally, don't care about off angle. It's my set, and I watch from the sweet spot! (I hate sharing!)

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #281 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
No color blindless...and pardon my igonaronce wouldn't that affect reds and greens. I guess in my case I'm not sensitive to it. But would gladly pay for you to prove me wrong...and as an aside calibrate both my sets...therfore providing a win win for both of us, got spend my winnings on something lol!
There are different forms of color blindness. Generally it impairs the ability to tell the difference between opposites like Red and Green, or Blue and Orange, etc. You'll see that a lot of games or devices that offer color blind modes will have more than one option because of this.

Not saying that you are color blind lol.
King Richard and Cam1977 like this.

post #282 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
There is no conspiracy... Previously years' iterations of OLED TVs were not able to perform as good as significantly brighter LCD equivalents with respect to HDR... It's as simple as that.

The whole aspect of peak luminosity and overall image luminosity is what has been the draw for many folks with respect to LCD TVs and OLED's comparatively inferior performance with respect to high APL video and HDR in particular has been a turn-off that has kept many folks from buying into OLED, myself personally and my company included... HOWEVER, the 2017 OLED TVs are game-changing... That HDR performance difference is for the most part now history! If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would have had trouble believing it, but the 2017 LG OLEDs in particular totally hold their own against the Sony ZD9, even with higher APL scenes too! The peak luminosity bump has made all the difference... So what I just saw at the UK shootout, plus at the recent THX training which I attended (again), is more than enough to convince me... In short, we'll be buying a bunch of LG OLEDs for showcasing in our shiny new experience centre, plus one will likely end up in my living room too!

The biggest surprise of all this year has been the fact that the Sony A1 OLED is a huge disappointment. (Sorry Al! ) But what's most surprising is that it does not perform significantly superior to the LG OLEDs, which is what we had expected... And at the UK shootout I found the Sony A1 OLED to underform in certain respects as compared with both the LG and the Panasonic OLEDs...

I know the folks at the UK shootout gave the main prize to the Panasonic, but we don't agree with that decision... Overall for us (and some others) the LG OLED was the overall winner... Whilst the Panasonic did have the edge over the LG with respect to a couple of aspects, the LG beat the Panasonic in more instances than the other way around... Where for example, the LG was clearly showing significantly superior peak luminance capability where the Panasonic's ABL was an issue a number of times to the extent that that would be a deal-breaker for us, whereas the LG even kept up with the Sony ZD9 in most instances, even with high APL scenes! Also the LG OLED very clearly has superior HDR performance as compared with the Panasonic OLED, plus it is better for gaming too, and that's not all...

So, what we took away from the UK shootout, is being totally blown away and surprised by just how amazing is the LG OLED, whilst at the same time being disappointed by the Sony A1 OLED, and everything else was pretty much as expected, including the lousy all-round performance from the Samsung Q9.

We still very much like the Sony ZD9/Z9D, especially the 75" and 100" iterations, both of which are significantly superior to the 65"; where this has been our 'favourite TV' to date... However, we now have another 'favourite TV', namely the LG OLEDs... Now we just need for LG to release a 100" version of the W7

I should add that no TV is perfect as of right now, in that the LG OLEDs do have some imperfections/flaws, such as with respect to the potential for yellow banding and uniformity issues, the severity of which ranges significantly between panels... However, there does not exist any other consumer TV which is 'more perfect' and the primary issues and/or reasons for not making the transition from buying LCD to buying OLED as of right now quite simply no longer exist. And this is coming from someone who to date has steadfast refused to buy into OLED and currently owns only LCD TVs

Those bolded statements all sound VERY... Al like...
SimR and Cam1977 like this.

post #283 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Maybe Al is everywhere.
Cam1977 likes this.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #284 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are different forms of color blindness. Generally it impairs the ability to tell the difference between opposites like Red and Green, or Blue and Orange, etc. You'll see that a lot of games or devices that offer color blind modes will have more than one option because of this.

Not saying that you are color blind lol.
Oh I gotcha bro...sometimes I wonder if I might be lol!
post #285 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
post #286 of 472 Old 08-17-2017, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12675 Post(s)
Liked: 11910
I've personally never been able to see the angle shift on the oleds at best buy. The picture is still rich and holds its wet look to the side, which would be good enough for me. I can see a slight shift though on my Galaxy S8+ and my previous S6.

I could however see the purple tint on the 2016 oleds and I didn't like that, glad to see it fixed on 2017 models though.

*KS9800*OPPO203*Denon4200x*GalaxyS8+

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #287 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Maybe Al is everywhere.
He is everywhere... Some people on here condemn Al for being Pro Sony or pro A1E, then turn around and do the exact same thing that they ridicule him for, for whatever set they're a fan of.

post #288 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
He is everywhere... Some people on here condemn Al for being Pro Sony or pro A1E, then turn around and do the exact same thing that they ridicule him for, for whatever set they're a fan of.
You are Absolutely correct my friend! Well said!

Sony55A1E|Oppo 203|Sony Z9F Soundbar|ATV4K
post #289 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I think the recent comments on other displays had no relationship to some of Al's more over the top comments and the 'magic dust' phenomena. I didn't see any comments that other displays look best when they have no relationship to a properly adjusted picture that would conform to any semblance of an ISF calibrated display.
post #290 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Not at all, not even close.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #291 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Pick the display you personally like and move on
Enjoy it.
Herbiehusker and ARROW-AV like this.

LGOLED55C7P - Calman Enthusiast - I1Display / I1Pro
post #292 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I normally sit about a 40 degree off angle for most viewing otherwise I have a desk with direct viewing. I've not noticed any off axis color shift. If its there I've yet to detect it nor have I looked for it.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #293 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know...

Made comment that the A1E was a huge disappointment, when if you look at the scoring of the individual categories, the A1E came in first or second to the Panny in just about every category, while the B7 won one or two categories, but was not 1st or second in the rest. How could something be a huge disappointment when it was in the running for, or best at, several individual categories. That sounds like hyperbole putting it politely. Also sounds like Al. Check.

Made comment that he disagrees with the winner and says that the TV he likes won. Yep, sounds like Al. Check.

Gushes about how great the B7 was and how he was really impressed with it, and again mentions how much of a let down the A1E was. Do I even need to say check?

Now I'm not saying that his comments were as irrational as some of the things Al says, but fundamentally, there are plenty of allegories with the mindset. Namely, I will disregard the outcome of judging and tell you who really should have won. I'm going to exaggerate how much better the TV that I like is compared to another, even though the voting was razor thin.

If people want to do that, cool. I don't have an issue when Al does it either. I find him entertaining (if not misguided...), but don't call him out for it and then do the same, or similar, thing is my only point.
jb442386 and Herbiehusker like this.

Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 08-18-2017 at 07:56 AM.
post #294 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9163 Post(s)
Liked: 16160
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNeat View Post
Pick the display you personally like and move on
Enjoy it.
For some reason, swimming inside my head is a bad analogy pertaining to TV shootouts and the Oscars.

The crux of the thought is that whatever movie won Best Picture on a given year is typically not the same movie that people use to answer the question "What's your favorite movie this year?" and that often remains true even if a picture sweeps all the major awards. And it's not unusual to meet people who have no idea what movie won Best Picture. Moreover, I've never met anyone whose top-10 list of best movies consists of nothing but Best Picture Oscar winners.

So while there's no accounting for taste, a corollary notion is there's also no reason to think that winning a vote in a contest will cause people to suddenly snap into agreement as to what's best.
Soundizer17 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #295 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 11:08 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4111 Post(s)
Liked: 6641
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know...

Made comment that the A1E was a huge disappointment, when if you look at the scoring of the individual categories, the A1E came in first or second to the Panny in just about every category, while the B7 won one or two categories, but was not 1st or second in the rest. How could something be a huge disappointment when it was in the running for, or best at, several individual categories. That sounds like hyperbole putting it politely. Also sounds like Al. Check.

Made comment that he disagrees with the winner and says that the TV he likes won. Yep, sounds like Al. Check.

Gushes about how great the B7 was and how he was really impressed with it, and again mentions how much of a let down the A1E was. Do I even need to say check?

Now I'm not saying that his comments were as irrational as some of the things Al says, but fundamentally, there are plenty of allegories with the mindset. Namely, I will disregard the outcome of judging and tell you who really should have won. I'm going to exaggerate how much better the TV that I like is compared to another, even though the voting was razor thin.

If people want to do that, cool. I don't have an issue when Al does it either. I find him entertaining (if not misguided...), but don't call him out for it and then do the same, or similar, thing is my only point.
@Stuntman_Mike all of your statements without exception are both misdirected and factually erroneous.

Firstly, we have never ridiculed Al, so really don't have a clue what you are talking about here... I posted "Sorry, Al" half-tongue-in-cheek and half out of the respect for Al given we know he likes the Sony A1E OLEDs... Further to this, which does NOT constitute belittling Al but genuine intent, please quote a singular instance where we have ridiculed Al or 'called Al out' in any respect! You won't be able to do so because we haven't!

Furthermore, with respect to our views regarding the various TVs, we are audiovisual professionals, professional video calibrators, and have stated completely valid reasons WHY we are disappointed with the SONY A1E and also WHY we prefer the LG OLEDs... where I would like to suggest that you read these, which when you do you will realize we are innocent of all charges! Happy to elaborate if you so wish.

You have clearly misconstrued our positive feedback and negative feedback regarding the SONY and LG OLEDs into something meaning other than what we have actually said and what is clearly our actual perspective. Where in short, the 'huge disappointment' is that the Sony OLED does not significantly outperform the LG OLED, which is what we all expected, where whilst it offers superior motion handling and noise reduction specifically (although the Sonys noise reduction is prone to eliminating detail as well) the LG OLED's superiority as compared with the Sony OLED is due to it outperforming the Sony OLED in more ways than the Sony OLED outperforms it, including but by no means limited to significantly superior HDR performance, less aggressive ABL, and superior colour accuracy (where the Sony OLED does not even have a proper CMS). Consequently, our reasoning is sound and has sound scientific basis. Now not to knock Al, because I never have and I am not about to start now, but I think you will find that the same cannot be said of Al's posts... and Al is not an AV professional, but an enthusiast, and he is not a professional video calibrator either, let alone an audiovisual company. But that said, you will also note from our other posts that we have repeatedly stated that there is no perfect TV and hence it's a case of pick your poison and therefore there is no 'right' or 'wrong' choice because personal preference is key, and Al's personal preference is with respect to what the Sony A1 offers that he likes, which is absolutely fine. But just because our own preferences differ, that does not mean that Al is wrong, and we've never said this, in fact, whilst we don't necessary agree with everything he's said, we've actually said to the contrary, in that given his reasons and own personal preferences the A1E is clearly the right choice of TV for him.

Furthermore, if you were to read our various previous posts on this forum not only in this thread but others you will find many instances where we demonstrate our complete impartiality and lack of bias when it comes to the various brands where we have a clear well-established track record of forming opinions regarding AV equipment according to the merit of the particular item of equipment alone.

And you are making all sorts of statements about us that quite simply are not true, such as for example that the TV 'we like' is the LG OLED, when in fact if you read our previous posts you will note that its not the LG OLED at all but the SONY ZD9/Z9D that we stated is the TV 'we like'... Where the basis for our positive feedback with respect the LG OLED stems from our evaluation of its performance at both the UK Shootout event and the THX level 3 professional video calibration training which we attended (again) recently in London, and came as a complete surprise. Where for the record neither my company nor I own any LG TVs whatsoever, let alone the LG OLEDs; whereas Al owns the TV to which his posts refer.

Furthermore, we were not even going to post what is our opinion regarding the winner of the shootout at all... and only did so because someone specifically made a point of asking us to do so!

Hence, no sir, we are NOT in the same boat as Al. Not at all. So @Ken Ross is absolutely correct in saying:

Quote:
I think perhaps an apology is appropriate?
KMFDMvsEnya and Soundizer17 like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 08-18-2017 at 11:26 AM.
post #296 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 11:29 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4111 Post(s)
Liked: 6641
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
I normally sit about a 40 degree off angle for most viewing otherwise I have a desk with direct viewing. I've not noticed any off axis color shift. If its there I've yet to detect it nor have I looked for it.
It's slight; and some people can't see it, like the 'Rainbow Effect' with single-chip DLP projectors. But measurements will confirm it's there
post #297 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
I haven't watched SD content in years. 😉
I wasn't alluding to standard def content when i said compressed content. Technically no video content, including 4k BD , is uncompressed. Ota broadcasts at many places are 720p or 1080i and are highly compressed with low bitrates. With such content, sony's x1 processor upscaling may prove to be an advantage. if most of what you watch is higher quality content, then lg should do fine.
tmdorsey and King Richard like this.
post #298 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 210
Quote:
It's slight; and some people can't see it, like the 'Rainbow Effect' with single-chip DLP projectors. But measurements will confirm it's there
OK, so its like Gluten. The real world question is : Are most people gluten tolerant or not?

Sony XBR55A1E
post #299 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Stuntman_Mike all of your statements without exception are both misdirected and factually erroneous.

Firstly, we have never ridiculed Al, so really don't have a clue what you are talking about here... I posted "Sorry, Al" half-tongue-in-cheek and half out of the respect for Al given we know he likes the Sony A1E OLEDs... Further to this, which does NOT constitute belittling Al but genuine intent, please quote a singular instance where we have ridiculed Al or 'called Al out' in any respect! You won't be able to do so because we haven't!

Furthermore, with respect to our views regarding the various TVs, we are audiovisual professionals, professional video calibrators, and have stated completely valid reasons WHY we are disappointed with the SONY A1E and also WHY we prefer the LG OLEDs... where I would like to suggest that you read these, which when you do you will realize we are innocent of all charges! Happy to elaborate if you so wish.

You have clearly misconstrued our positive feedback and negative feedback regarding the SONY and LG OLEDs into something meaning other than what we have actually said and what is clearly our actual perspective. Where in short, the 'huge disappointment' is that the Sony OLED does not significantly outperform the LG OLED, which is what we all expected, where whilst it offers superior motion handling and noise reduction specifically (although the Sonys noise reduction is prone to eliminating detail as well) the LG OLED's superiority as compared with the Sony OLED is due to it outperforming the Sony OLED in more ways than the Sony OLED outperforms it, including but by no means limited to significantly superior HDR performance, less aggressive ABL, and superior colour accuracy (where the Sony OLED does not even have a proper CMS). Consequently, our reasoning is sound and has sound scientific basis. Now not to knock Al, because I never have and I am not about to start now, but I think you will find that the same cannot be said of Al's posts... and Al is not an AV professional, but an enthusiast, and he is not a professional video calibrator either, let alone an audiovisual company. But that said, you will also note from our other posts that we have repeatedly stated that there is no perfect TV and hence it's a case of pick your poison and therefore there is no 'right' or 'wrong' choice because personal preference is key, and Al's personal preference is with respect to what the Sony A1 offers that he likes, which is absolutely fine. But just because our own preferences differ, that does not mean that Al is wrong, and we've never said this, in fact we've said to the contrary.

Furthermore, if you were to read our various previous posts on this forum not only in this thread but others you will find many instances where we demonstrate our complete impartiality and lack of bias when it comes to the various brands where we have a clear well-established track record of forming opinions regarding AV equipment according to the merit of the particular item of equipment alone.

And you are making all sorts of statements about us that quite simply are not true, such as for example that the TV 'we like' is the LG OLED, when in fact if you read our previous posts you will note that its not the LG OLED at all but the SONY ZD9/Z9D that we stated is the TV 'we like'... Where the basis for our positive feedback with respect the LG OLED stems from our evaluation of its performance at both the UK Shootout event and the THX level 3 professional video calibration training which we attended (again) recently in London, and came as a complete surprise. Where for the record neither my company nor I own any LG TVs whatsoever, let alone the LG OLEDs; whereas Al owns the TV to which his posts refer.

Furthermore, we were not even going to post what is our opinion regarding the winner of the shootout at all... and only did so because someone specifically made a point of asking us to do so!

Hence, no sir, we are NOT in the same boat as Al. Not at all. So @Ken Ross is absolutely correct in saying:

I think perhaps an apology is appropriate?
First of all, who is "we"? Why do you keep saying "we"? Is this a group account that multiple users post on? If not, then I don't get it...

How is your expectation that the Sony OLED would significantly outperform the LG OLED, a valid reason to be Hugely disappointed with it? Why would you go in with the expectation that the A1E would blow away the LG? Because it's a Sony? Because Al said so? I don't get it... As a video professional, you (all of you...?) shouldn't have formed that expectation. The A1E is, what you should have expected it to be. An LGD panel, with some proprietary Sony processing, some added motion options, Sony styling, and some Sony enhancements that they will tout as being so good, they won't let you mess with them...

I referred to your post as "Al like", because you added "sorry Al", in this post, and also made another post in the other shootout thread with another "sorry Al" comment. Now, I'm not saying that there wasn't a good natured aspect to the ribbing, but you can't tell me that there was absolutely no intention to rub the results in his face. Which is perfectly fine. Al dishes it way more than his fair share, so he should be able to take it. Where it went off the rails is then you go on to say that the A1E is a huge disappointment and then say that despite who was crowned, the LG in your eyes was the best display. If you were responding to another post that asked who you thought won, I don't see any quote or mention of the post in question, and it seemed more like a continuation of your positive comments about the B7. But I'll take you at your word.

And you may not own an LG OLED, but you said you were going to go out and buy several, so... not sure that matters lol.

TLDR: You called out Al trying to tweak him (good naturedly I'm sure) because the set that he foams at the mouth over didn't win again. You then proceed to do similar things that Al does in terms of painting a picture that there is a huge discrepancy between any of these OLEDs, when the differences are very nuanced. You then state that the shootout got it wrong and that you think the LG OLED won. Those are all things Al does on a daily basis. With much more froth, I'll grant you lol, but that's what he does. That's all I was pointing out.

post #300 of 472 Old 08-18-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2235 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Just started reading this thread. Can't believe half of it was wasted debating an irrefutable fact that all OLEDs have visible color shift. That's like spending time debating whether the earth orbits the sun. There will always be some people oblivious to any issue but it's plainly obvious even without a meter if you place an OLED next to a plasma or CRT and walk around the room. Let me guess, some of you don't see the difference in these pictures I posted over a year ago either?

In any case, with all other emissive displays discontinued, this is the best we've got.

Top-emission WOLED isn't going to change viewing angle by much (see attached graph from LG's own paper on the topic). Sony's first generation OLED broadcast monitors were top-emission and still had visible color shift. They did something on their second generation 'A' series OLED which supposedly improved viewing angles significantly according to their marketing literature. I don't know if the 30" model used as reference at the shootout uses one of the improved panels or not - I've only seen the feature referenced on the 17" and 25" sizes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WOLED_ColorShift.jpg (23.4 KB, 39 views)
ARROW-AV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
hdtvtest shootout , oled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page