Best Warranty? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-14-2017, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Warranty?

I plan on buying an OLED television in the next month and I'm slightly concerned with burn-ins. What company offers a warranty that actually covers burn-ins and offers the best value? Would it be the geek squad warranty, using a credit cards protection or something else?

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-14-2017, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian069 View Post
I plan on buying an OLED television in the next month and I'm slightly concerned with burn-ins. What company offers a warranty that actually covers burn-ins and offers the best value? Would it be the geek squad warranty, using a credit cards protection or something else?

Thank you,
Best Buy's Magnolia warranty is the best, as far as I could determine.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-14-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Is Best Buy's Magnolia warranty the same as Best Buy's Geek Squad TV protection plan? Both cover burn in?

LG OLED65B6P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-14-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Is Best Buy's Magnolia warranty the same as Best Buy's Geek Squad TV protection plan? Both cover burn in?
I'm not sure if it's the same (and in fact I think that they are priced differently when the same item is available in both Best Buy and Magnolia), but the Magnolia warranty claims to cover burn in.

I'm also not sure if the Magnolia warranty is available at all stores or only the Design Center locations. I bought mine at a Design Center.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-16-2017, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Cool Oled77w7p

[QUOTE=nirvanayoda;54800980]I'm not sure if it's the same (and in fact I think that they are priced differently when the same item is available in both Best Buy and Magnolia), but the Magnolia warranty claims to cover burn in.

I'm also not sure if the Magnolia warranty is available at all stores or only the Design Center locations. I bought mine at a Design Center

What was the additional cost for the warranty, and for what length of time?
post #6 of 18 Old 09-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What was the additional cost for the warranty, and for what length of time?
I got a discount on the TV and I think it was $1250. But mine was a G7 and it goes by the price of the TV. I think the W7 would run $1400. It lasts 4 years.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-17-2017, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I believe that if you buy 1 additional service from Best Buy (Ex: connect and put on stand $49) you can then "ask for" and very likely receive a 25% discount on the warranty packages. I don't know that there's stipulations other than just buying 1 additional service. You might need to ask but they do have actual forms used for the install/discount offerings.

GEEK SQUAD does cover "burn-in'' but if there's product on the market where it's a "known issue" I would imagine the language will be changed to something other than what their offering is presently. Every display LG that they have on the wall is likely already needing. I'd expect maybe that they might change the offerings of their "display models" to include only the manufacturers and no extended available or .................. extended with no "bun-in" coverage.

Last edited by WVZR1; 09-17-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-17-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
I believe that if you buy 1 additional service from Best Buy (Ex: connect and put on stand $49) you can then "ask for" and very likely receive a 25% discount on the warranty packages. I don't know that there's stipulations other than just buying 1 additional service. You might need to ask but they do have actual forms used for the install/discount offerings.

GEEK SQUAD does cover "burn-in'' but if there's product on the market where it's a "known issue" I would imagine the language will be changed to something other than what their offering is presently. Every display LG that they have on the wall is likely already needing. I'd expect maybe that they might change the offerings of their "display models" to include only the manufacturers and no extended available or .................. extended with no "bun-in" coverage.
Well it appears the warranty from best buy in the US covers burn in. The one in Canada appears to explicitly not cover it as far as I can tell.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #9 of 18 Old 09-17-2017, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Well it appears the warranty from best buy in the US covers burn in. The one in Canada appears to explicitly not cover it as far as I can tell.
I imagine the "underwriter" isn't the same here in the USA and there in Canada - I would imagine "very different language and stipulations" - LOCATION always matters - ALWAYS!!!!
post #10 of 18 Old 09-17-2017, 10:13 PM

Cool Oled77w7p

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
I imagine the "underwriter" isn't the same here in the USA and there in Canada - I would imagine "very different language and stipulations" - LOCATION always matters - ALWAYS!!!!

So far I'm lead to believe warrantee are the same in CDN and USA
But with what's be mentioned, I intend to reexplore the issue.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So far I'm lead to believe warrantee are the same in CDN and USA
But with what's be mentioned, I intend to reexplore the issue.
Well in https://www.bestbuy.ca/projects/geek...-en.pdf?v=1.02 I see:

Quote:
General Exclusions:
The following are not covered in respect of the Services (Part 2) and Benefits (Part 3) provided by this Plan:
1.maintenance, repair or replacement necessitated by any causes other than normal usage and operation of the Product in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines, including, but not limited to theft, exposure to weather, moisture and other environmental conditions, negligence, accidental or intentional physical damage, including disassembly and damage due to spilled liquids (except damage that qualifies for the Accidental Damage benefit), misuse, abuse, unauthorized repairs, improper installation, transportation damage (except damage incurred by authorized shipment of Product(s) to and from an authorized service centre), improper equipment modifications, vandalism, pixel burnout in accordance with manufacturer’s guidelines, computer viruses or malware, software generated problems or acts of nature or any other peril originating from outside of the Product
Of course the "normal usage and operation" bit at the beginning makes it hard to figure out what is and isn't actually covered under what circumstances. To me that seems to read as pixel burnout is not considered normal usage, but I could be wrong.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #12 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So the answer is maybe Best Buy. It will be interesting to see if any of the language in these warranty change as time goes on.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 PM

Cool Oled77w7p

Quote:
So the answer is maybe Best Buy. It will be interesting to see if any of the language in these warranty change as time goes on.

I'm considering Visions, but I'll need to review their warranty.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-19-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm considering Visions, but I'll need to review their warranty.
They do not cover burn in. On the other hand if you don't have a claim on the warranty, you get a store credit for the cost of the warranty at the end, which is why I went with it for my A1E.

Len Sorensen

post #15 of 18 Old 09-19-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Well in https://www.bestbuy.ca/projects/geek...-en.pdf?v=1.02 I see:

Of course the "normal usage and operation" bit at the beginning makes it hard to figure out what is and isn't actually covered under what circumstances. To me that seems to read as pixel burnout is not considered normal usage, but I could be wrong.
Are we sure that "pixel burnout" is the same thing as "burn in"? It sounds like a different animal.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-19-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Are we sure that "pixel burnout" is the same thing as "burn in"? It sounds like a different animal.
I am. Image burn in is caused by excess wear of some pixels, hence pixel burnout.

Len Sorensen

post #17 of 18 Old 09-19-2017, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Thank you,
As background, I had a 2016 LG E6 OLED TV develop permanent burn in after less than 500 hours viewing time under low brightness conditions. LG refused to even discuss covering this clear defect under my original LG warranty.

Thus, in my opinion, the Magnolia warranty is the only way to go as, to the best of my knowledge, it is the only warranty that covers OLED burn in. I have found Magnolia great to deal with when problems arise (Magnolia covered the above TV with burn in even though I did not purchase the Magnolia warranty). Priced at $350 to cover a $2999.99 OLED TV under a Magnolia warranty for four years to hedge against OLED burn in developing, I think it is a bargain.

Additionally, in replacing the above that E6 had developed burn in, I opted to purchase the Sony AiE (rather than another LG OLED) because LG appeared to have such miserable customer service based upon my experiences with them.

Sony XBR55A1E
LG OLED55E6P

Last edited by John1948; 09-19-2017 at 10:25 AM.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-19-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked: 3889
Too bad the Magnolia warranty isn't sold separately. For the 65" G6 last year, it would have been an additional $1k unfortunately (when the TV was at SRP). I'm not concerned about burn-in, though, since I won't be watching much, if any, triggering static content. LG customer experiences are mixed. They gave me a voucher for an ugly nonuniform EF9500 (had I known said voucher wouldn't have expired until a year from issuance, I would not have rushed to buy a 2016 model so soon).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page