Will the new Apple TV 4K let us see everything in HDR? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By thebignewt

post #1 of 6 Old 10-13-2017, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Will the new Apple TV 4K let us see everything in HDR?

I can't find anything about it elsewhere sorry. If one buys the new 4k Apple TV box can we see all the Netflix stuff in 4k HDR because I can only see Dolbyvision in 4k now. It sounds like it will show all of the 4k content to our OLED sets but will it? Thanks in advance. Sorry if it's been covered already.
FarmerBob likes this.

[/B] LG OLED65E6P TV, Yamaha RX-V383 AVR with Paradigm speakers, Cableone STB, Samsung UHD BD player, AppleTV 4K[/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-14-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
Assuming the content you stream has HDR , it should. If it doesn't you won't. Unless the Apple TV has some sort of bug, I don't own one, not a big fan.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #3 of 6 Old 10-14-2017, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2268 Post(s)
Liked: 4265
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
I can't find anything about it elsewhere sorry. If one buys the new 4k Apple TV box can we see all the Netflix stuff in 4k HDR because I can only see Dolbyvision in 4k now. It sounds like it will show all of the 4k content to our OLED sets but will it? Thanks in advance. Sorry if it's been covered already.
If your TV supports DV, you will get DV from the ATV 4K. If your TV only supports HDR, you will get HDR. The problem with the ATV 4K is it upconverts everything to DV or HDR unless you manually change the Video Output to 4K SDR or less. The need to add a native mode for those who do not want everything upconverted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-16-2017, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 553
But it won't allow Atmos and I believe Roku will.

I have both but have not tried the Apple yet. If Vudu is added along with Atmos I will yank the Roku.

Atmos may not be important to you yet. Perhaps it can be updated with a software patch in time.

Rick
post #5 of 6 Old 10-18-2017, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
But it won't allow Atmos and I believe Roku will.

I have both but have not tried the Apple yet. If Vudu is added along with Atmos I will yank the Roku.

Atmos may not be important to you yet. Perhaps it can be updated with a software patch in time.

Rick
Supposed to be added in a software update, but no timeline given.

Apple TV 4K will support Dolby Atmos surround sound eventually
post #6 of 6 Old 10-18-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2851 Post(s)
Liked: 2036
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
If your TV supports DV, you will get DV from the ATV 4K. If your TV only supports HDR, you will get HDR. The problem with the ATV 4K is it upconverts everything to DV or HDR unless you manually change the Video Output to 4K SDR or less. The need to add a native mode for those who do not want everything upconverted.
Right, not only will it let you see UHD content as UHD (in DV or HDR10, whatever your TV and chain supports) but it will convert all SDR to UHD too, sometimes to bad effect (either because of imperfect conversion by Apple and or because of imperfect rendering by the TV) unless you manually switch the output based on different content types.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page