Unable to send multichannel PCM audio from Nvidia PC to LG B6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Luke M
  • 1 Post By gonkotheclown

post #1 of 15 Old 10-16-2017, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy Unable to send multichannel PCM audio from Nvidia PC to LG B6

I recently purchased an LG B6, and came to realize my good old AVR (a Denon 1612), featuring HDMI 1.4, won't do HDR pass-through, so intending to keep the Denon, I switched to having the TV in the middle, instead of the AVR as I did until today. I have managed to get audio sent from the TV to the AVR via both ARC and optical, multichannel working fine, but the problem came when I tried to have multichannel audio from the PC to the TV.

The problem is, the PC (using a GeForce 1070) sees the TV as accepting only stereo PCM audio, and only allows to select stereo in the device's speaker setup. Needless to say, I need 5.1 PCM to get multichannel audio in PC games.

Some guy on another forum said he could send multichannel from a Playstation 4, so I tried using an EDID override to copy the audio capabilities from the Denon to the TV, which allowed me to have Windows think it can send the TV any of the stuff the Denon takes, but even then any audio from channels other than left front and right front is lost along the way to the AVR. My guess is that for whatever reason, the TV is decoding the stream and only letting L and R through.

On the bright side of things, multichannel pass-through does works fine for DD and DTS streams, allowing to watch a movie on the PC and have semi-decent multichannel on the AVR. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD, though, are a no go, even using ARC (optical obviously doesn't support HD audio).

So yeah... Any ideas? Suggestions?

I'd like to think I won't be forced to buy a new AVR just to have it pass through HDR, so any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-16-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Multichannel from a PS4 and Xbox One S definitely works. From a PC with NVIDIA card, it does not. I'm using a B7 with NVIDIA 1080Ti and have the same issue, and cannot get TOSLINK optical out to work either on my receiver (for games, passthrough for DT/DD is fine). My research led to the conclusion that there is a Windows 10 problem with multichannel audio encoding and certain hardware configurations.

I am using 5.1 analog out from my Asus motherboard to my receiver directly. An external sound card may be another option.

LG OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One X | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Pioneer 5020FD | Panasonic 46S30 | Hitachi P50V701
post #3 of 15 Old 10-16-2017, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

So you have been able to get multichannel PCM from a console, through the B7 and into an AVR?
That gives us some hope I guess. I'd rather have the problem be in Windows or Nvidia's drivers (my choice to blame) than on the TV.

Now, about your solution... I cringed thinking of analog audio, and their 3 analog cables. Don't you have onboard TOSLink at least?
Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-16-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 133
No current TV can do this. It's a limitation of the optical audio and ARC outputs.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-16-2017, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
No current TV can do this. It's a limitation of the optical audio and ARC outputs.
Care to elaborate?
What is exactly the limitation?

@Ozymandis apparently says he managed to do it with a PS4, so that would put the blame on the PC's side.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHE_uKER View Post
Care to elaborate?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

ARC is based on SPDIF so it inherited the 2-channel limitation.
tHE_uKER likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-16-2017, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

That's an interesting theory.
We'd just need someone authoritative to back it.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

ARC is based on SPDIF so it inherited the 2-channel limitation.
This means that the TV can't send multichannel PCM output. It doesn't mean the TV can't receive multichannel PCM and then encode to multichannel DTS/DD.

Not that any TV has ever done that. I don't know, probably one or two over the years. And whether a given model TV does one thing or another, and whether they'll provide documentation of whether it does one thing or another, is anyone's goddamn guess these days. There's even a possibility of a TV doing such processing on an optical input but not HDMI, just because technology is stupid. But usually the manufacturer won't bother including this kind of feature because 99% of surround sound scenarios involve components plugged into the receiver.

I'm confident that OUR TV doesn't bother processing multichannel PCM, so Windows isn't going to play nice unless you buy a sound card, and then you use DTS Connect / DD Live, and then you either use optical from the sound card or connect it to a video card that does audio passthrough. Or if, for some reason, Nvidia starts offering DTS Connect/DD Live software for GeForce GPUs (even if as a separate purchase).

Of course, the only realistic thing in that whole mess is an audio card with optical to the TV.

I'm feeling the pain on this too; My PC is next to the TV because Nvidia's 4K 60Hz signal (1080 Ti) is so sloppy and unforgiving that it's unstable on my 35ft cable, even though my Xbox One S and PS4 Pro are perfectly fine. So all my gear is in another room except my PC which is on my emergency 15-footer. I could probably go back to the receiver if the dumbass driver gave a 4:2:0 10-bit option.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-17-2017, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I 'fixed' this by running 1 HDMI cable from GPU to TV and another HDMI cable from GPU to the Denon
post #10 of 15 Old 10-17-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
So you have been able to get multichannel PCM from a console, through the B7 and into an AVR?
That gives us some hope I guess. I'd rather have the problem be in Windows or Nvidia's drivers (my choice to blame) than on the TV.

Now, about your solution... I cringed thinking of analog audio, and their 3 analog cables. Don't you have onboard TOSLink at least?
Cheers!
I do, but like I said, there's an issue between Windows 10 and certain audio cards, or Asus is not properly supporting real-time 5.1 encoding on their boards. My onboard optical out will not work with real-time encoding in games (it's an Asus mobo). On the other hand, I tried my kids' small form factor gaming rig on my TV and real-time 5.1 encoding over TOSLINK works just fine (ASRock mITX mobo).

Quote:
Care to elaborate?

@Ozymandis apparently says he managed to do it with a PS4, so that would put the blame on the PC's side.
To elaborate, my consoles are sending encoded, lossy 5.1 bitstream over HDMI, and I'm using an optical cable from my OLED to my receiver. This works and I get the full 5.1 experience in games, streaming apps, and movies. For PC, it does not recognize my TV as a 5.1-capable device.

LG OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One X | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Pioneer 5020FD | Panasonic 46S30 | Hitachi P50V701
post #11 of 15 Old 10-17-2017, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
To elaborate, my consoles are sending encoded, lossy 5.1 bitstream over HDMI, and I'm using an optical cable from my OLED to my receiver.
I also confirmed this to work over HDMI ARC just for testing purposes.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

I tried running two cables, one for audio and one to the TV, but then the PC messes up since Windows isn't made to gracefully handle setups with more than two monitors (monitor + TV + AVR).
Basically, once you go to three, the Win+P dialog becomes useless, since it can't figure out which two you want to use, and you're forced to use the Nvidia control panel which is a nightmare to use since it takes like 5 seconds every time you hit Apply.

So to sum things up, basically I am forced to sell my AVR and buy a much fancier one just because some a**hole in the industry decided my audio equipment (which I wouldn't mind keeping for many more years with no issue) must know how to handle anything my TV gets, right?

Damn I'm pi**ed.

Last edited by tHE_uKER; 10-17-2017 at 12:51 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-19-2017, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I tried running two cables, one for audio and one to the TV, but then the PC messes up since Windows isn't made to gracefully handle setups with more than two monitors (monitor + TV + AVR).
Basically, once you go to three, the Win+P dialog becomes useless, since it can't figure out which two you want to use, and you're forced to use the Nvidia control panel which is a nightmare to use since it takes like 5 seconds every time you hit Apply.

So to sum things up, basically I am forced to sell my AVR and buy a much fancier one just because some a**hole in the industry decided my audio equipment (which I wouldn't mind keeping for many more years with no issue) must know how to handle anything my TV gets, right?

Damn I'm pi**ed.
Hmm I have the same setup, Monitor + TV + AVR all plugged into the graphics card and after initial "****ery" and windows being confused I got it to work just as well as before now.

I have the TV and AVR connected via HDMI and the monitor uses one of the DisplayPorts.
Only had to do the nvidia control panel setup once.
When I'm using the TV (and optionally AVR if I'm gaming and want 5.1 sound) I turn the Monitor off completely, as that seems to make it easier for Windows (Win+P works same as before then).
In the control panel both TV and AVR are active (have check marks in multi display setup) then.
When I'm at my desk monitor I turn the TV and AVR off (or switch them to different sources when someone else is using them) and it correctly sets the monitor as the only output in the control panel (even G-Sync and 165 Hz get turned on properly).
There must be a way for your setup to work the same way?
Hope that helps a bit.
tHE_uKER likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-19-2017, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonkotheclown View Post
When I'm using the TV (and optionally AVR if I'm gaming and want 5.1 sound) I turn the Monitor off completely, as that seems to make it easier for Windows (Win+P works same as before then).
In the control panel both TV and AVR are active (have check marks in multi display setup) then.
When I'm at my desk monitor I turn the TV and AVR off (or switch them to different sources when someone else is using them) and it correctly sets the monitor as the only output in the control panel (even G-Sync and 165 Hz get turned on properly).
There must be a way for your setup to work the same way?
Hope that helps a bit.
The turning off the monitor thing is an interesting one.
Hadn't thought of it.
In any case, I gave in and just purchased an AVR-X1200, which is supposed to get Dolby Vision in firmware next year.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-08-2018, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonkotheclown View Post
I 'fixed' this by running 1 HDMI cable from GPU to TV and another HDMI cable from GPU to the Denon
thanks that fixes my issue as well. Video card HMU to tv and other motherboard hdmi too receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
5.1 , audio , Nvidia , oled , pass-through

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page