2017 LG OLED Burn In with pictures - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #211 of 264 Old 04-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
I hate to see a rare 3D Oled TV bite the dust. You might try calling LG service, as of late they have been better about replacing screens with BI. What olight and color setting did you commonly use?
In game mode, I have my OLED light up all the up way to 100. Color at 65. Had all the built in tools to avoid BI on, too.
Kenbar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELUS View Post
In game mode, I have my OLED light up all the up way to 100. Color at 65. Had all the built in tools to avoid BI on, too.
COLOR 65? xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

What's a miracle is that the entire hud is not burned
rlindo likes this.
post #213 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256k View Post
COLOR 65? xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

What's a miracle is that the entire hud is not burned
Hey, the setting goes up to 100 (which means 65 isn't even close to max), and at that setting games look best to me. No warning on the set or in any of the materials that come with the set to not go higher than... actually I have no idea how high would be damaging. Why would anyone not use the settings that look best to them, and with no apparent downside?

A TV I have to be precious with when I game is pretty worthless to me no matter how great the image quality is, so I may have to rethink this whole OLED thing after this is fixed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Hey, the setting goes up to 100 (which means 65 isn't even close to max), and at that setting games look best to me. No warning on the set or in any of the materials that come with the set to not go higher than... actually I have no idea how high would be damaging. Why would anyone not use the settings that look best to them, and with no apparent downside?

A TV I have to be precious with when I game is pretty worthless to me no matter how great the image quality is, so I may have to rethink this whole OLED thing after this is fixed...
It's not about making it look "better for you", is about making it looks as it should, is not the same, for me in SDR my calibrated color setting is 50
post #215 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
It's not about making it look "better for you", is about making it looks as it should, is not the same, for me in SDR my calibrated color setting is 50
Nope.

I'm someone who actually creates video for a living, and while I'm meticulous in how my stuff looks, I would never look down on someone who spent thousands on a TV for tweaking it for personal preference. I'd also argue that for gaming, the idea of accuracy is inherently less black and white than video/film material.

You may not like my taste, but that's why my settings don't affect yours.
QN52, SinGA, Nathan Riden and 1 others like this.
post #216 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Did you ever own a CRT or plasma before this?
post #217 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Did you ever own a CRT or plasma before this?
I never considered Plasma an option because of the BI issues (and I couldn't have afforded one back then anyways). Never had an issue with any CRT I've owned over the years. In fact, this is my first burn-in experience.

The image quality from this set is amazing; the best I've ever seen that wasn't in a (recently updated) theater, but I game. If all I have to do is turn the saturation down to avoid burn-in, I suppose I could live with that, but if I can't game on this thing I guess I'd have to look into other options.
post #218 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Nope.

I'm someone who actually creates video for a living, and while I'm meticulous in how my stuff looks, I would never look down on someone who spent thousands on a TV for tweaking it for personal preference. I'd also argue that for gaming, the idea of accuracy is inherently less black and white than video/film material.

In this case, it is YOUR FAULT that the hud was burned-in, and it will happen in a future with lots of other huds as long as you use those crazy settings

My E6 is my TV, My PC monitor, my console TV, more than 4000h and no burn-in yet
post #219 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Nope.

In this case, it is YOUR FAULT that the hud was burned-in, and it will happen in a future with lots of other huds as long as you use those crazy settings

My E6 is my TV, My PC monitor, my console TV, more than 4000h and no burn-in yet
I’ll ignore your rude, I’m-on-the-internet-and-can-be-awful-because-I’m-anonymous tone. Instead I’ll address your point like an adult:

If this consumer tech is such that you irreparably damage your very expensive purchase by changing a 50 to a 65 (out of 100), then I’m ok with not having it. The idea that anyone thinks that is ok, and with no warning from the TV or manufacturer, is crazy. I’m ok with that in a professional tool that requires expertise, but not in a consumer product.

You assert that these settings WILL cause burn-in. Well if that’s the case then LG must know this. And if LG knows, then there needs to be warnings at least and a change to the operation of the set at best.

So I reject the idea that I’m at fault because I went to 65.

(I’ll take that rejection back if you can point to somewhere in the manual where they recommend not changing the setting they gleefully provided me with.)

Last edited by ANGELUS; 04-02-2018 at 01:24 PM.
post #220 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
I doubt that using the default color of 50 would have prevented the burn-in, it would've just delayed it or made it less severe.

If you had to guess, about how many hours of Overwatch have you played on the Oled?
no1special likes this.
post #221 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Yeah, that looks like BI alright and Overwatch has been one of a handful of games reported by multiple owners to cause BI. Please confirm it's an E6 and not an E7. This thread is supposed to be for 2017 models.
Sorry, didn't realize this was the '17 only thread. It is an E6 , not an E7. I'll see myself out...
post #222 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
I doubt that using the default color of 50 would have prevented the burn-in, it would've just delayed it or made it less severe.

If you had to guess, about how many hours of Overwatch have you played on the Oled?
Hard to say because I've been playing Overwatch for longer than I've had the set. I'm going to estimate between 65-80 hours. So about the length of a decent RPG. I've definitely played other games as much or more in the last 11 months (The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed: Origins have to have at least 80 hours each on this set). A lot of other games have dynamic HUDs, though...
post #223 of 264 Old 04-02-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Sorry, didn't realize this was the '17 only thread. It is an E6 , not an E7. I'll see myself out...
Wasn't trying to tell you what to do. Just a heads-up. We used to have a 2016 LG OLED burn-in thread with photos that was later merged with some other burn-in related thread(s) and is now this: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...ad-photos.html

LG OLED65B6P
post #224 of 264 Old 04-04-2018, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
@Kenbar @Roborope Thanks for the heads up in letting me know LG Service has been agreeable to replacing panels for burn in as they have accepted my claim! I have an appointment for next Thursday to get my panel replaced. Hopefully I'll get a panel with as good or better lower luminance uniformity.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #225 of 264 Old 04-04-2018, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
^Congrats, hope you reconsider returning to the dark side. Just lower that OLED light while traversing YouPube. Though, there's no shame in having a throwaway LCD around for such purposes (I've got a Sceptre for the household).
venus933 and Cam1977 like this.
post #226 of 264 Old 04-04-2018, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
^Congrats, hope you reconsider returning to the dark side. Just lower that OLED light while traversing YouPube. Though, there's no shame in having a throwaway LCD around for such purposes (I've got a Sceptre for the household).
I'll definitely be lowering the OLED light way done when I'm traversing the YouTube menus. If I get a panel with good uniformity and if the Q8 starts to lose its glitter then I'll be in no hurry to replace my C7. But to be honest when I do end up replacing the C7 it'll probably be a LCD.
Cam1977 likes this.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
post #227 of 264 Old 04-04-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
In Darth Vader voice, "Noooooooo!"
post #228 of 264 Old 04-04-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
@Kenbar @Roborope Thanks for the heads up in letting me know LG Service has been agreeable to replacing panels for burn in as they have accepted my claim! I have an appointment for next Thursday to get my panel replaced. Hopefully I'll get a panel with as good or better lower luminance uniformity.
Awesome news! Congrats...
venus933 likes this.
post #229 of 264 Old 04-08-2018, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I'm getting a X930 for my daily dose of cable TV viewing and heavy YouTube surfing. I needed a new TV in the main room anyway. The LG will forever be treated with the respect it deserves. But I can't just go watch a bland LED screen.
venus933 likes this.
post #230 of 264 Old 04-09-2018, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just chatted with LG Customer Service live chat, can confirm they cover burn-in issues for 1yr from date of purchase

Code:
[Me]
I just purchased my TV, it's still sealed in box
I am asking because I am not sure if I need to buy extended warranty from Best Buy or will LG cover burn-in issues?
[LG CSR Rep]
Regarding OLED tvs there is a setting to fix the problem
[Me]
not the permanent burn-in
it has been confirmed before that it requires screen replacement
[CSR Rep]
Yes it will be covered for one year from the date of purchase
post #231 of 264 Old 04-09-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
I'll definitely be lowering the OLED light way done when I'm traversing the YouTube menus. If I get a panel with good uniformity and if the Q8 starts to lose its glitter then I'll be in no hurry to replace my C7. But to be honest when I do end up replacing the C7 it'll probably be a LCD.
You should be able to get good $$$$ for your 3D Oled...rare birds at this point. You might want to check the 3D image out while the tech is still there...many have misaligned filters. You want to be able to advertise "excellent 3D" to get top dollar.

I think you are making a wise decision switching to LED for your usage

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #232 of 264 Old 04-09-2018, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
Well, well. Thats great to hear. Maybe they've changed their tune on this? Whatever. Let us know once you're all sorted out competely.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #233 of 264 Old 04-30-2018, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yf342 View Post
Just chatted with LG Customer Service live chat, can confirm they cover burn-in issues for 1yr from date of purchase

Code:
[Me]
I just purchased my TV, it's still sealed in box
I am asking because I am not sure if I need to buy extended warranty from Best Buy or will LG cover burn-in issues?
[LG CSR Rep]
Regarding OLED tvs there is a setting to fix the problem
[Me]
not the permanent burn-in
it has been confirmed before that it requires screen replacement
[CSR Rep]
Yes it will be covered for one year from the date of purchase
Not trying to be negative but whenever companies say that stuff is 'covered' I get skeptical. I'd ask a lot of followup questions, and I'm almost always disappointed with the answers.
  • How long does the repair take to complete?
  • Who pays for shipping?
  • Are the parts being replaced new or refurbished?
  • How long is the replacement covered?

I've had really bad experiences in the past where I had to pay shipping, wait six weeks, only to get back a different refurbished item that had different problems; not a brand new item or not my same item perfectly repaired. In some cases, if they say they cover the repair for one year, and then after 11 months they send you a differently broken item, by the time you receive it, you are stuck with it and they don't care because it's not covered anymore.
post #234 of 264 Old 05-12-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post

Well, well. Thats great to hear. Maybe they've changed their tune on this? Whatever. Let us know once you're all sorted out competely.

I finally had my panel replaced and no more burn-in and a tad better dark uniformity but now I have the much talked about piss stain which I find stomach churning.

I had the foresight to take a look at a 5% slide while the tech was there but I wasn't smart enough to check out a white slide. Heck I wasn't entirely sure if I didn't have it on my existing panel and I just wasn't noticing it but boy it's noticeable even in content.

My case was actually referred to the returns department due to taking LG so long to provide a replacement panel where I was going to get a replacement TV or a partial/full refund but at this point I was informed the TV was purchased from an unauthorized retailer. When I went back to the retailer they said I should have gone to them first so they could provide an invoice from some third party as they would be the authorized retailer. But since the Executive Service Supervisor - don't get fooled by the title - committed to a replacement panel they still agreed to do this so I think my chances of getting another panel replacement are slim.

It's more noticeable than the picture shows, I don't have a very good phone camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_103930.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	472.4 KB
ID:	2401719  

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase

Last edited by venus933; 05-12-2018 at 08:47 AM.
post #235 of 264 Old 05-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
My case was actually referred to the returns department due to taking LG so long to provide a replacement panel where I was going to get a replacement TV or a partial/full refund ..
is it up to you whether you get a replacement or refund or up to the manufacturer?
my TV is under warranty still and **I don't want a refund** I want my TV to be replaced or repaired that's why I'm asking.
thanks
post #236 of 264 Old 05-12-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_oled View Post
is it up to you whether you get a replacement or refund or up to the manufacturer?
my TV is under warranty still and **I don't want a refund** I want my TV to be replaced or repaired that's why I'm asking.
thanks
Since my case was rejected by the returns department I'm not sure what my options would have been - the rep who submitted my case to this department wouldn't give me a definite answer.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
post #237 of 264 Old 05-12-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
I finally had my panel replaced and no more burn-in and a tad better dark uniformity but now I have the much talked about piss stain which I find stomach churning.

I had the foresight to take a look at a 5% slide while the tech was there but I wasn't smart enough to check out a white slide. Heck I wasn't entirely sure if I didn't have it on my existing panel and I just wasn't noticing it but boy it's noticeable even in content.

My case was actually referred to the returns department due to taking LG so long to provide a replacement panel where I was going to get a replacement TV or a partial/full refund but at this point I was informed the TV was purchased from an unauthorized retailer. When I went back to the retailer they said I should have gone to them first so they could provide an invoice from some third party as they would be the authorized retailer. But since the Executive Service Supervisor - don't get fooled by the title - committed to a replacement panel they still agreed to do this so I think my chances of getting another panel replacement are slim.

It's more noticeable than the picture shows, I don't have a very good phone camera.
I can detect a slight yellowish tinge on the left half of the screen. It does show during actual content? Tough call. Maybe they’ll still help you?

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #238 of 264 Old 05-12-2018, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Since my case was rejected by the returns department I'm not sure what my options would have been - the rep who submitted my case to this department wouldn't give me a definite answer.
I know with Samsung it was two warranty repairs and then replacement. but I last time I spoke to Samsung they said now it is at their discretion.
I know some manufacturers make decisions based on the amount you paid and you have no say in it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #239 of 264 Old 05-12-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
I can detect a slight yellowish tinge on the left half of the screen. It does show during actual content? Tough call. Maybe they’ll still help you?
Yes it shows up in content very much so. I have a new understanding why those who are unfortunate enough to have it dislike it so much.

LG 65B8
Sonos Playbase
post #240 of 264 Old 05-13-2018, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked: 1634
Quote:
My case was actually referred to the returns department due to taking LG so long to provide a replacement panel where I was going to get a replacement TV or a partial/full refund but at this point I was informed the TV was purchased from an unauthorized retailer. When I went back to the retailer they said I should have gone to them first so they could provide an invoice from some third party as they would be the authorized retailer.
Which dealer did you buy from if you don't mind me asking? (reply via PM if necessary).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
2017 , lg oled , oled65b7p , oled65c7p , oled65e7p

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page