Does Your OLED TV Exhibit Image Persistence or Burn-In? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do you own an OLED? If yes, do you have issues with image persistence or burn-in?
I do not own an OLED 184 36.95%
My OLED has never experienced either issue 177 35.54%
On rare occasions, I spot faint temporary image persistence 71 14.26%
I experience occasional temporary image persistence 24 4.82%
I often see temporary image persistence 7 1.41%
My OLED has minor (barely noticeable) permanent burn-in 7 1.41%
I have suffered noticeable, permanent burn-in with my OLED 28 5.62%
Voters: 498. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 306Likes

post #1 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16171
Does Your OLED TV Exhibit Image Persistence or Burn-In?

OLED display technology has taken the world of premium TVs by storm thanks to the picture quality it delivers. OLED is an emissive display technology, meaning each pixel generates its own light. This gives OLED displays the ability to display incredibly deep blacks while also showing bright highlights, resulting in unprecedented contrast ratios for a consumer display.

The catch is that OLED, like emissive display technologies that came before it—such as plasma and CRT TVs—can be susceptible to two undesirable effects, image persistence (aka image retention) and burn-in. Numerous publiscations are pursuing the topic, including Rtings.com that is currently running a burn-in test.

Click this link to read more: Does Your OLED TV Exhibit Image Persistence or Burn-In?

With this poll, I hope to get some insight into how many OLED owners are experiencing image persistence or burn-in.

Also, if you have experienced burn-in, or frequent instances of image retention, please leave a comment describing the circumstances that led to it, if you can.

Similarly, if you have avoided image persistence and burn-in, I'd love to hear what (if any) measures you take to mitigate the issue.

***Please note that the poll includes an option for "I don't own an OLED" which skews the reported percentages of OLEDS having issues.***
sheshechic likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 11-12-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I’ve had my 2016 LG OLED65C6P for over 14 months now and have never seen an issue with either burn-in or persistence images. Though, I do have the Screen Shift setting engaged so when the tv shuts down, it periodically wipes (or shifts) the screen to prevent panel noise.
imagic and Ricker62 like this.
post #3 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think this would be more meaningful if the poll also asked if you experienced burn in of any type what your primary viewing habits were when that occurred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker123 View Post
I think this would be more meaningful if the poll also asked if you experienced burn in of any type what your primary viewing habits were when that occurred.
OK. I'll add a comment to that effect to the OP. Good suggestion.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 11-10-2017 at 11:28 AM.
post #5 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 653
I run my Oled light below 50 always. 35 for standard blurays...42~47 for 3D movies. I run my color between 42~47 as well. Youtube I generally keep my Oled light at 6...color around 25. Looks pretty bad but I can see whats going on just fine...and it's just youtube, so who cares. My Oled is not hooked up to cable, so no TV. 2 other TV's in the home for TV watching/gaming.

Never seen any image retention and of course, no BI.
imagic likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #6 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 660
I do not own a OLED but this post has opened my eyes to the fact that they are susceptible. That is something I would give a lot of thought to. Quite a number of years back I bought new Toshiba 55" RPTV and because at that time I tended to watch A&E a lot, in a very short time my TV developed a burn-in from that stations lower right logo that only got worse with time. I would warn buyers that also tend to watch a particular station a lot to be wary. I would guess specially in these modern times when it seems like most all stations are now putting there logos in approximately the same place the situation may be worse.
Bummer, I thought that burn-in type issues were a thing of the past and now they rear their ugly heads again.
Hoping my year old Sony XBR75-X940D gives me a very long life and I won't have to worry about it for 5-10 years.
rlindo, imagic and egclone like this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #7 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2109 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
I have owned two different OLEDs over the last few years, and while I have not personally experience burn-in or image retention, I have seen it on display models running looped demos.
imagic likes this.
post #8 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I think those voting that they are experiencing some type of image retention/burn-in should let the forum know their viewing habits. For those experiencing permanent burn-in, is it because you play the same game for hours on end that has static images (such as first person shooters)? I think for most people who watch cable/movies/blurays, burn-in should not be an issue. If it were me, and I was an avid gamer, I wouldn't even consider an OLED TV. There are plenty of great LCD TV's to choose from for gaming......but that's just me.
rlindo and Kenbar like this.
post #9 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
I think those voting that they are experiencing some type of image retention/burn-in should let the forum know their viewing habits. For those experiencing permanent burn-in, is it because you play the same game for hours on end that has static images (such as first person shooters)? I think for most people who watch cable/movies/blurays, burn-in should not be an issue. If it were me, and I was an avid gamer, I wouldn't even consider an OLED TV. There are plenty of great LCD TV's to choose from for gaming......but that's just me.
I added a request to that effect to the OP.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #10 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I added a request to that effect to the OP.
I must have skipped over it...lol...it is Friday after all...lol....I'm just curious as to the reasons for those experiencing burn-in. I see 2 votes for permanent burn-in, but no comments so far.
post #11 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
There is very little info on OLED uneven wear. I hope to see more threads on that subject. Also hope it will be included in Burn-in/ IR threads.
post #12 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
if you talk to the people at best buy, they will show you what happens to their tvs.
today these companies have gotten smarter and only loop video that doesn't exhibit
image persistence but it still shows a little. burn in was fixed a long long time ago.
image persistence is the problem.
1/2 the movies are 2.35 x 1, 1/2 of them full screen
black bars at the top at bottom 1/2 the time will definitely show image persistence.
not to mention, when my wife leaves fox news banner or HGTV banner up there for
hours at a time. that is the real problem.

i love the OLED displays, but i'd say the Sony Z9D is better. hell it even costs more,
because they are selling OLEDs and they are always on sale.
the Sony Z9D has less blacks and the motion rate isn't quite as good, but you will
never see persistence for at least 5 years anywhere on that screen no matter what
your wife watches.

just my 2 cents.
post #13 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"I experience occasional temporary image persistence"

This was my vote. I have the LG 65" B series from last year. I do not get any image persistence for TV or movie watching. Honestly, I have never noticed it with videogames at all, but I do notice it with the Xbox dashboard. The sharp edged, bright tiles are pretty noticeable when you start scrolling to other dashboard pages. It also seems to be a lot more noticeable when the TV is first turned on as opposed to switching on the Xbox after you've been watching TV for a while.
post #14 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
I run my Oled light below 50 always. 35 for standard blurays...42~47 for 3D movies. I run my color between 42~47 as well. Youtube I generally keep my Oled light at 6...color around 25. Looks pretty bad but I can see whats going on just fine...and it's just youtube, so who cares. My Oled is not hooked up to cable, so no TV. 2 other TV's in the home for TV watching/gaming.

Never seen any image retention and of course, no BI.
I understand why you do this, but IMO, consumers shouldn't have to crank down their brightness just to minimize burn-in/IR. What's the point, then?
post #15 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I purchase the LG 65 E6 for my mother last September of 2016. She has very little mobility in her so TV is her main source of entertainment, 8 to 10 hours a day.
There is NO image retention or burn in at all in the last 14 months of ownership. From streaming Vudu to 4K Blu-Ray to Comcast, there has been no issues with this T.V. at all. We also have the screensaver function on when she pauses live T.V. or 4K Blu-ray. That could be a reason for NO issues in Image Retention too.

Coming Soon~ new gear~ NX-7, 125" 2:35 Cinescope Screen~ 9.2 Atmos System featuring Martin Logan speakers
post #16 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I have seen burn in on display/open box OLED, of the B6 generation. At the same time, I own an open box that was a display model, an EG9100. I have no burn in at all on my screen. I have run my OLED light in the 70s, but currently run it in the 35-45 range. I watch varied content, but have spent a good amount of time watching CNN, MSNBC, ESPN, and lots of sports, and spent some tone with video games, on top of blu rays. I have seen noticeable IR once, the next day or later that night (there were at least a couple hours between), after watching the NBA finals on TNT, but it went away after watching and turning the TV off (probably a comp cycle and maybe varied content). But that is the only time I remember.

So I voted the third option.
post #17 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff69 View Post
I understand why you do this, but IMO, consumers shouldn't have to crank down their brightness just to minimize burn-in/IR. What's the point, then?
He shouldn't have to do this and is being way over-cautious. If all he is viewing is cable TV/movies/netflix/youtube, then he doesn't need to turn his brightness that far down. I've owned an LG B6 for almost a year now and just use it to watch HD cable, netflix, and blurays.....I keep the default setting of ISF Dark mode for cable/netflix and HDR Standard mode when watching a 4K disc. Never have any issues. And it can get pretty bright watching a 4K disc using the Standard HDR settings...
Spiff69 and Barrybud like this.
post #18 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff69 View Post
Actually DVD's/blurays look great with these settings. And I have two other TV's anyway. If it was just a 2D tv I might not care so much. But who knows when...or if...3D will return on TV's. So it's not just a matter of saving money by not having to replace it as often...but a matter of, it may not be replaceable.
post #19 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi everyone, Long time, 1st time... Bought a LG 65EF9500 OLED about 2.5 yrs ago. Just looked at usage. 10,042 hours! wow!
I'm retired, watch CNBC during the day. About 6 months ago started noticing CNBC logo 'burn-in??' Became more pronounced as time went by. Not only the logo, but also see an imprint across the screen bottom where the stock ticker moves past. Also see vertical line-like shadows on the right lower screen area where the programs use red or green indicators for S&P, Dow, & Nasdaq totals are posted.
Never touched picture settings. From the box: Picture mode STD; OLED light 80; Contrast 95; Brightness 50; Sharpness 25; Color 55; Tint 0; Color Temp C20.
Never owned a plasma, so never thought much about 'burn-in'. Wish I had been more proactive. Very disappointed. Not sure about selection criteria for next set. Feel like a dope! lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Spiff69 and Merlin521 like this.
post #20 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
He shouldn't have to do this and is being way over-cautious. If all he is viewing is cable TV/movies/netflix/youtube, then he doesn't need to turn his brightness that far down. I've owned an LG B6 for almost a year now and just use it to watch HD cable, netflix, and blurays.....I keep the default setting of ISF Dark mode for cable/netflix and HDR Standard mode when watching a 4K disc. Never have any issues. And it can get pretty bright watching a 4K disc using the Standard HDR settings...
Yep. Dittos. We’re either lucky or something else is going on here that we don’t know about. For daytime or "normal" viewing I use cinema mode with OLED light at 67 and contrast at 86. Zero issues. For dark room viewing and movies I use expert dark room mode with OLED light at 60 and brightness still at 86. Looks phenomenal. I watch a good amount of hockey including last years entire playoffs meaning games were on all day and night long in some cases. Nada. Nothing.

I just don’t get it. I feel bad those that have had serious issues but it’s FAR from the norm.
Barrybud likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #21 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5485 Post(s)
Liked: 3889
A easy way to see IR is watch a letterbox movie. Afterwards put up a 3 or 4% slide. If you can see the outline of those letterbox bars, you have IR. Not the bars themselves, but the area in between the bars is the real IR, because for 2 hours, the black letterbox bars had their pixels completely turned off. Fixes itself when the tv runs the comp cycle.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #22 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony StaRK View Post
Hi everyone, Long time, 1st time... Bought a LG 65EF9500 OLED about 2.5 yrs ago. Just looked at usage. 10,042 hours! wow!
I'm retired, watch CNBC during the day. About 6 months ago started noticing CNBC logo 'burn-in??' Became more pronounced as time went by. Not only the logo, but also see an imprint across the screen bottom where the stock ticker moves past. Also see vertical line-like shadows on the right lower screen area where the programs use red or green indicators for S&P, Dow, & Nasdaq totals are posted.
Never touched picture settings. From the box: Picture mode STD; OLED light 80; Contrast 95; Brightness 50; Sharpness 25; Color 55; Tint 0; Color Temp C20.
Never owned a plasma, so never thought much about 'burn-in'. Wish I had been more proactive. Very disappointed. Not sure about selection criteria for next set. Feel like a dope! lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you bought it from Best Buy with an extended warranty, it's covered.

post #23 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony StaRK View Post
Not sure anyone was aware these Oleds could suffer from burn in 2 years ago. And at first the few reports were treated as a flaw in perhaps just a few. Clue should have been the LG warranty excluding burn in. Anyways, 2 1/2 years is not so bad perhaps. Still, sorry to hear this.
post #24 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One way to reduce IR is get into the SM and change how often the comp cycle runs. On the 2016 models it's every 4 hours. On the 2015 models it every 2 hours. I have no BI on my 9500 with 3500 hours which is 2.5 years old. I set my E6 to 2 hours, and after 2000 hours, no BI after 18 months.
chifanpoe and nodixe like this.

post #25 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
One way to reduce IR is get into the SM and change how often the comp cycle runs. On the 2016 models it's every 4 hours. On the 2015 models it every 2 hours. I have no BI on my 9500 with 3500 hours which is 2.5 years old. I set my E6 to 2 hours, and after 2000 hours, no BI after 18 months.
Beyond changing to a 2 hour cycle time, can you share with us your settings?
post #26 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Beyond changing to a 2 hour cycle time, can you share with us your settings?
Nothing special. ISF bright room for daytime, and isf dark room for night with no adjustments with the OLED light or contrast settings.

post #27 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Nothing special. ISF bright room for daytime, and isf dark room for night with no adjustments with the OLED light or contrast settings.
Thanks, do you watch things that have stationary peices of imagery?
post #28 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, do you watch things that have stationary peices of imagery?
Yes, I watch stations that have logos.
Kenbar likes this.

post #29 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 389
As stated in the original post, burn-in and retention aren't unique to OLEDs or even necessarily emissive displays for that matter. Maybe the worst examples of image retention I ever encountered were on the early generation IPS panels in Apple Retina products. I've also seen really bad burn-in occur with DLP chips if they are operated outside the proper temperate range. A lot of times these issues are heat related so it may also be worth looking into the operating conditions and if people are placing these televisions in locations where they can not get good air circulation. Just a thought.
post #30 of 664 Old 11-10-2017, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
Quote:
Not sure anyone was aware these Oleds could suffer from burn in 2 years ago. And at first the few reports were treated as a flaw in perhaps just a few. Clue should have been the LG warranty excluding burn in. Anyways, 2 1/2 years is not so bad perhaps. Still, sorry to hear this.
Even then, there had been reports of demos getting BI and even isolated customers experiencing same actually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
burn-in , image persistence , oled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page