is professional calibration for new oled tv essential? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 56 Old 12-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 182
It has been worth paying for a professional calibration for many years, now. Since the beginning of color TV, there has always been the need to and the ability to get a better picture by calibration. Early on, most people could do so at home. Now, with DVD's available, one can tweek settings fairly well but it is now very complicated to get the most out of your set. It really is best you get a professional calibrator who knows how to do so. The earlier OLED's could not be fully calibrated which frustrated several calibrators. My understanding is it now can be done but, to what level, I do not know.

Most people like their sets to look "good" which is not want you want. You want the picture to be an accurate representation of whatever it is you're watching. Usually that means lower brightness and lower color levels. The color accuracy and zero distortion is something that is extremely important, too. Sets are so complicated now that, in order to bring all these different aspects together for the best picture possible, you really need a professional to do so. If you watch 4K HDR stuff, then it's worth it. If you just watch the weather channel, then probably not.
sdhobbs and tigertim like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 12-26-2017, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Guys...I'd emailed the calibrator to find out about running in my new OLED b7 65" first before he comes over...besides what he replied to me (at bottom) are there other things I should look for to ensure the tv is in proper shape, ready for a pro calibration?

"As far run in time prior to calibration my stock recommendation is to use the TV for at least a week to ensure there are no power supply issue with power on and power of modes."
post #33 of 56 Old 12-26-2017, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanis38 View Post
In my opinion, to get the most out of a 4K OLED screen, you need to feed it 4k UHD Bluray movies. Streaming 4k is great and will look very nice, but it will still have more compression than playing it off a UHD disc. The best content you will see on your TV will come from disc (and games).
Yes I hear you...my bud is pushing me to look at an oppo 203 ...but aren't 4k Blu rays $$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 Old 12-27-2017, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by canali12 View Post
Yes I hear you...my bud is pushing me to look at an oppo 203 ...but aren't 4k Blu rays $$$
Sony XBP 800 is well reviewed. It's currently $199 CAD!
post #35 of 56 Old 12-27-2017, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
doesn't have dolby vision...only lg and oppo do.
i wonder what the CES show in Jan will reveal.

i just ordered the apple 4k streamer based on some reviews.
popular youtube tv calibrator vincent theo did a side by side comparison (below).
see 20min mark conclusions. in essence only when theo got up close to the screens
side by side did he see some diffs but seemed minor.

my bud says get a real blu ray 4k player for 100% content clarity.
but i love the freedom of streaming and not having to toss my gear out every few yrs to upgrade.
but we'll see at the CES show: maybe more dolby vision supported 4k bluray players with atmos..at even better prices.

Last edited by canali12; 12-27-2017 at 02:10 PM.
post #36 of 56 Old 12-27-2017, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
The Sony does not have the capability of playing DV disk. I know the Oppo 203 is more expensive but that thing is build like a tank.
You will not be disappointed if you buy one.

LG Oled 65B7P
Anthem MRX 510 receiver , Furman elite
Paradigm Millenia 300 fronts
Paradigm Millenia 30 Center,Mordaunt-Short ADP
PSA XS15se sub, Oppo udp 203, PS4, Bell PVR Fibe tv, ATV 4K
post #37 of 56 Old 12-27-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
If you don't want to get the set calibrated or nobody in your area does it, I would suggest that you update your LG OLED (2017 models) to the latest firmware 4.70.36. LG introduced its Technicolor (Expert) video mode one or two upgrades prior to this latest one and it is, "right out of the box" very, very good. My C7 was calibrated for SDR content on its ISF Bright and ISF Dark modes and for HDR on its Cinema (User) mode. Technicolor mode is very close to my ISF Bright mode. It's a bit brighter but turning its OLED light setting down can get it even closer. It's HDR mode is also very close to my calibrated HDR mode. Do I regret having my set calibrated? Not at all but Technicolor mode is more than a reasonable alternative for those who don't go the calibration route.
sdhobbs likes this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 12-27-2017 at 02:19 PM.
post #38 of 56 Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
If you don't want to get the set calibrated or nobody in your area does it, I would suggest that you update your LG OLED (2017 models) to the latest firmware 4.70.36. LG introduced its Technicolor (Expert) video mode one or two upgrades prior to this latest one and it is, "right out of the box" very, very good. My C7 was calibrated for SDR content on its ISF Bright and ISF Dark modes and for HDR on its Cinema (User) mode. Technicolor mode is very close to my ISF Bright mode. It's a bit brighter but turning its OLED light setting down can get it even closer. It's HDR mode is also very close to my calibrated HDR mode. Do I regret having my set calibrated? Not at all but Technicolor mode is more than a reasonable alternative for those who don't go the calibration route.
thanks, man...i just clicked on update last night with allowing auto updates, as well...still getting used to all the tabs/links
post #39 of 56 Old 12-28-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
thanks, man...i just clicked on update last night with allowing auto updates, as well...still getting used to all the tabs/links
You're welcome. If you got the update already, great. If not, you may want to do a manual install. The roll out of this latest update via Automatic has been erratic to say the least. You can get the update from the Support area on LG's website. It's around 900K and can be installed via a flash drive. There are instructions on how to do it but the key is to have a flash drive formatted as FAT32 (most are by default), create a folder named LG_DTV and copy the update to that. As soon as you plug the drive into one of the TV's USB inputs, it will detect the file and ask if you want to update.
post #40 of 56 Old 12-28-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
You're welcome. If you got the update already, great. If not, you may want to do a manual install. The roll out of this latest update via Automatic has been erratic to say the least. You can get the update from the Support area on LG's website. It's around 900K and can be installed via a flash drive. There are instructions on how to do it but the key is to have a flash drive formatted as FAT32 (most are by default), create a folder named LG_DTV and copy the update to that. As soon as you plug the drive into one of the TV's USB inputs, it will detect the file and ask if you want to update.
yes it shows the latest update...i'm connected via wifi...so i did it that way via tv to internet...didn't have to install any flashdrive or attach my laptop.

i still have to use 2 separate remotes...the lg magic remote doesn't recognize any of the channels i have on my Telus tv remote (i'm in canada using Telus).....i've gone thru the channel magic tune 3 x now and no channels detected...maybe the tv calibration guy can tweak this for me.
post #41 of 56 Old 12-28-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
also..guy trying to sell me cdn$469 pkg for 3 yr extended warranty on the oled.
a waste of money?
I don't buy extended warranties. However, my two year old LG Oled just broke -- power supply failed.

I prefer to calibrate by myself. For one thing, sometimes I want remedial adjustments which compensate for an imperfect picture source.

Greg Lee
post #42 of 56 Old 12-28-2017, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks...I only did the extended warranty on kef ls 50w active speakers ...not on the tv
post #43 of 56 Old 01-12-2018, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

well i've booked an appt with Richard Stokes to drop by and do his 3 hr pro tv calibration at the end of Jan.
post #44 of 56 Old 01-14-2018, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I’m having the same debate too about the calibration, never Professionally calibrate a Tv before and I’m not sure how much of difference it would make, so I went ahead anyway and pull the trigger and Schedule my calibration for this coming Saturday, I’m hoping the $400 will be worth :-)
post #45 of 56 Old 01-15-2018, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalid zaoui View Post
I’m having the same debate too about the calibration, never Professionally calibrate a Tv before and I’m not sure how much of difference it would make, so I went ahead anyway and pull the trigger and Schedule my calibration for this coming Saturday, I’m hoping the $400 will be worth :-)
by the best buy 'geek squad' or an independent person?
please let us know how it goes...the guy i hired has me scheduled for 3 hrs on jan 27th
post #46 of 56 Old 02-13-2018, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Canali12, how did the calibration go with Mr. Stokes? I read earlier in this thread that the price was $400 CAD to calibrate SDR and HDR. Did you also ask him to calibrate DV for an additional fee?

I was thinking of getting the master Michael Chen to calibrate my panel, but he won't be in Vancouver until the summer. Since you were referred to Mr. Stokes by Mr. Chen, I suppose he can't be all that bad.
post #47 of 56 Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

hi forreal...it went well.
took 4-5 hrs, getting gig set up, updating his software.
i was under the impression my tv was his first lg oled of '17 that he'd set up.
overall i was satisfied...would have been nice to see a side by side out of box vs a callibrated model.

however, do i think it's worth $400 and would i do it again?
...that is debateable. not a day and night difference.
as pre callibration was pretty good too....but again a side by side
would have presented more evidence for me to better elaborate.

Last edited by canali12; 02-15-2018 at 11:48 AM.
post #48 of 56 Old 02-14-2018, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 113
^ Thanks for that. I don't think I'll go with him due to your impression that he isn't that experienced with calibrating the 2017 LG OLEDs.
post #49 of 56 Old 08-13-2018, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Remember to wait until after at least 100 hours of using your new TV before calibrating it.
Does the 100 hours still apply?

In the old days with CRTs and CRT projectors and plasma TVs they recommended after 100 hours. Then with LCDs, many well-respected ISF calibrators said you didn't need to bother waiting anymore.

Now, with the self-emissive OLEDs, are we back to waiting 100 hours?

I'm just wondering if I should reschedule my appointment for my 65" LG B7P OLED for say 2-3 months after purchase instead of one month after purchase. I typically have comparatively low usage, and I'm on vacation right now out of town for over a week anyway.
post #50 of 56 Old 08-13-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 3811
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Does the 100 hours still apply?
Yes
post #51 of 56 Old 08-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 499
When I first got my C8 I was thinking of getting it calibrated or doing it myself. But after spending a couple of months with it I am not going to bother. All I did was put it on Technicolor Expert and adjust the brightness with a test pattern. This is probably the most accurate consumer TV out of the box and I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars chasing the last 1% improvement. Especially when I'm likely to have a new TV in a couple of years anyway.
post #52 of 56 Old 08-13-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked: 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
When I first got my C8 I was thinking of getting it calibrated or doing it myself. But after spending a couple of months with it I am not going to bother. All I did was put it on Technicolor Expert and adjust the brightness with a test pattern. This is probably the most accurate consumer TV out of the box and I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars chasing the last 1% improvement. Especially when I'm likely to have a new TV in a couple of years anyway.

While Technicolor does look good, as have other displays with similar type presets (see Panny plasmas THX modes), your kidding yourself if you think the improvement is 1% or 10%. As you said, if you're happy great, but don't think for a minute that your seeing what your display has to offer using a preset along with patterns for brightness.
TravisPNW likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #53 of 56 Old 01-15-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
The Sony XBP-700 has Dolby Vision.
ejquin likes this.
post #54 of 56 Old 01-16-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by saronian View Post
The Sony XBP-700 has Dolby Vision.
Yeah but I can't forgive it for making you manually turn DV on and off to use it. That's a hassle and shouldn't be necessary.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #55 of 56 Old 01-17-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
While Technicolor does look good, as have other displays with similar type presets (see Panny plasmas THX modes), your kidding yourself if you think the improvement is 1% or 10%. As you said, if you're happy great, but don't think for a minute that your seeing what your display has to offer using a preset along with patterns for brightness.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with not wanting to spend the money because these panels are pretty good straight out of the box.

They're better when they're calibrated though... and it's a lot more than 1% or 10% improvement. I paid Chad B $450 to do mine... all picture modes and the differences were immediately obvious. The biggest difference were flesh tones... HDR before/after jumped out at me too.

No regrets here. I know every time I watch my movies I'm looking at the best possible picture.
Chad B and tenthplanet like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #56 of 56 Old 01-17-2019, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 499
I'm sure there is an improvement but I couldn't even get a calibration right now if I wanted to. I bought my C8 in May and I don't even have 300 hours on it yet. This is for a dedicated home theater which doesn't see daily use.

And I'm already planning to replace it this year. And I'm even thinking about when I would make my next purchase after that. I like being on the bleeding edge for displays so any calibration would just be a waste of money.

Plus from what I've read OLED can have a huge drift over its lifetime. So if you keep your TV for many years you will have to constantly re-calibrate it for best results.

I've already noted that I had to make a 4point adjustment in brightness recently based on a professional test pattern.

To answer the question in the thread title, calibration is not "essential". It is purely your decision. But depending on your use case it may not be the best use of your money. If you spend most of your time watching TV I would see no point in it either.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page