Status of Dolby Vision raised blacks issue on OLEDS - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 334Likes

post #61 of 1258 Old 01-18-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2150
I hope this DV fix is for both internal apps and over HDMI.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1258 Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog8 View Post
When did Dolby supply the fixed code to LG? It sounds like it was fairly recent based on the Forbes article.

Integrating third party code, and then running a full test suite and regression on all of the 2016 and 2017 LG OLED models, with all of the their variations in regional firmware, different apps etc is a lot of work. After QA signs off, LG probably push the firmware out to an alpha group first, and wait for reports, then to a beta group, and more waiting. Finally, we get it!
Quote:
First, LG states that its R&D team in South Korea has been working with Dolby to fix the issue and that Dolby has recently provided LG with a new Dolby Vision ‘library’ that the TV maker has already implemented on to internal 2016 and 2017 Dolby Vision OLED TVs.
LG goes on to say that it’s now running internal tests to make sure the new patch fixes the issue properly - but adds that as a result, it will take some time before the new software can be released to consumers. It can’t currently put any date on when the update will roll out, in fact.
Huh, it's like he was reading my post.
post #63 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Here is a snapshot of my internal Netflix app on the W7 (with the current 4.xxx FW).

Here are the top settings I am using for my Dolby Vision viewing and as much as I am reading these accusations of "broken" DV in LG etc, I don't see these issues (with streaming or discs), even with having adjusted the default brightness levels.

I think the only issue with LG's Dolby Vision is the default "Brightness" should be 60 instead of 50. LG's Dolby Vision default OLED Light is 50 when HDR10 OLED Light default is 100. This signals to me that DV requires a different scale of brightness hedging than HDR10.

Others can try this with Netflix DV on their LG 7, I was on Godzilla Ep 1, which is Dolby Vision enabled. To me, the PQ with this brightness setting is immaculate.

Note: second image is Bright (DV)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6754.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	791.0 KB
ID:	2348532   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	976.5 KB
ID:	2348534  

Last edited by Al Leong; 01-20-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 07:00 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Looks good! Would like to hear from other owners.
Al Leong likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, DUAL PSA XS30SE's, ATV4K, 75X940E, UBPX700
post #65 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Here is a snapshot of my internal Netflix app on the W7 (with the current 4.xxx FW).

Here are the top settings I am using for my Dolby Vision viewing and as much as I am reading these accusations of "broken" DV in LG etc, I don't see these issues (with streaming or discs), even with having adjusted the default brightness levels.

I think the only issue with LG's Dolby Vision is the default "Brightness" should be 60 instead of 50. LG's Dolby Vision default OLED Light is 50 when HDR10 OLED Light default is 100. This signals to me that DV requires a different scale of brightness hedging than HDR10.

Others can try this with Netflix DV on their LG 7, I was on Godzilla Ep 1, which is Dolby Vision enabled. To me, the PQ with this brightness setting is immaculate.

It's highly content dependent. I haven't noticed it on any Netflix content, but on the UHD's for Valerian and IT, it's very obvious. For example, in IT at 2h4m, just before the beginning of Chapter 13, where the screen fades to black, the title 'September' appears and then the final scene starts. Except in my case, the fade to black is a hideous grey. It's less obvious if you turn down the brightness, but I watch in a dark room and it's always there.
post #66 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It's highly content dependent. I haven't noticed it on any Netflix content, but on the UHD's for Valerian and IT, it's very obvious. For example, in IT at 2h4m, just before the beginning of Chapter 13, where the screen fades to black, the title 'September' appears and then the final scene starts. Except in my case, the fade to black is a hideous grey. It's less obvious if you turn down the brightness, but I watch in a dark room and it's always there.
The wife wants to watch IT tonight, we will watch on the G7 and I will keep an eye out for this scene.

Note: watching IT now and youre right, had to take my DV Brightness settings down from 60 to 53. I will watch more DV disc and streaming content across services to see if its a title or format level difference.
fafrd likes this.

Last edited by Al Leong; 01-20-2018 at 02:01 PM.
post #67 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
[quote=Al Leong;55533886]Here is a snapshot of my internal Netflix app on the W7 (with the current 4.xxx FW).

[QUOTE=Al Leong;55533886]

Dolby has accused Dolby of having a black level problem and made a fix for it

Quote:

There are many scenes in Bright that have this problem played on the ATV4K Netflix app to the C7 (for example).
With the image stopped at 27:17, the black levels are raised. They are raised through out the movie. People notice the black bars but the entire image is washed out.
It remains washed out at all OLED levels from 0 to 100.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #68 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=RichB;55536274][quote=Al Leong;55533886]Here is a snapshot of my internal Netflix app on the W7 (with the current 4.xxx FW).

Quote:

Dolby has accused Dolby of having a black level problem and made a fix for it [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Quote:

There are many scenes in Bright that have this problem played on the ATV4K Netflix app to the C7 (for example).
With the image stopped at 27:17, the black levels are raised. They are raised through out the movie. People notice the black bars but the entire image is washed out.
It remains washed out at all OLED levels from 0 to 100.

- Rich
I havent checked out this content through the ATV because I prefer the internal LG apps for DV streaming.

I read the latest developer beta ATV firmware fixes that issue. I dont have an ATV connected to any of my LGs at the moment to verify the fix but read another member mention it.
post #69 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
[quote=Al Leong;55536324][QUOTE=RichB;55536274]
Quote:

I havent checked out this content through the ATV because I prefer the internal LG apps for DV streaming.

I read the latest developer beta ATV firmware fixes that issue. I dont have an ATV connected to any of my LGs at the moment to verify the fix but read another member mention it.
I never had issues with DV streaming via the LG apps, only elevated blacks I noticed are with connected HDMI devices. Happy to see that Dolby admitted that it was their problem and they sent the fix to LG to implement, which they are testing now. I would guess they test for 30 days and if no issues, send out the FW patch. The ATV patch is for Sony TV's which implemented a half baked DV FW.

https://www.avforums.com/news/sony-d...lf-baked.14501

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D

Last edited by wxman; 01-20-2018 at 03:28 PM.
post #70 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 03:41 PM

Ok..

I've found closure on this DV issue for myself as of the time I post this:

I'm currently watching IT 4K UHD in Dolby Vision on my main critical viewing screen, G7.

I wasn't aware, but my G7 is set up specifically for disc viewing and my W7 is used for the majority of my streaming viewing. Pretty much, I think the only streaming DV content I've watched on the G7 was Stranger Things 2.

In short, the settings I posted earlier are what I have dialed in for my streaming DV, but my G7 disc DV settings are mostly default (see attachment of my DV disc LG setting).

Here is what I tried with the IT 4K UHD DV disc in response to another member pointing out IT disc has a DV issue:

I raised Brightness to 53 from 50 and all black bar level stability broke into showing the gray/black issue whenever a dark scene showed up. Just 3 ticks up broke the black performance to what everyone is speaking of "broken DV blacks"..

At Brightness 50, the IT disc is immaculate in DV.. so from a engineering/technical point of view, I think I understand what's happening:

Netflix, VUDU, Amazon are streaming DV content at about 15.6mbps
I believe ATV 4K may be streaming DV content a bit more at up to 18mbps

4K UHD Blu-ray has a variable bitrate that can reach up to 108mbps.

So I realize what is the issue.

The black crush experienced on streaming DV is due to the content is offered at close to 1/10 the data rate as disc based DV content. Though the imaging to the passive eye looks great between 4K UHD discs and DV streaming, the DV processor isn't working as hard with streaming as it has to with the 4K UHD discs.

I find this is why on a DV streaming source, I can boost Brightness up to 60 safely. On 4K UHD discs, the DV processor is working harder to deliver a higher fidelity of presentation, so unlike the DV streaming content, at Brightness 50, the same kind of black crush with streaming isn't present. The DV processor in the LG 7 is pushed to it's max at around the default Cinema picture setting, I'm able to up OLED light to 60.

Apple TV could be pushing brightness (with either a device algorithm or during encoding) with their DV processing that makes the ATV DV look good with it's lower bitrate content and as a result, causes the broken black issue. Streaming DV needs a brightness boost to compensate for the loss of bitrate that high fidelity requires, but the paradigm the streaming services has found for DV, to me does look really good.

The Dolby Vision gray/black issue looks like a hardware side effect when decoding over HDMI. Streaming DV hasn't showed this issue. For streaming DV over HDMI where there's a potential Apple TV 4K hardware side brightness algorithm to make Apple deliver DV look better, is an understandable issue.

Dolby Vision over HDMI with 4K UHD discs, the TV or player default picture brightness should not be altered past default. Due to the high bitrate fidelity of the 4K UHD DV discs, there should be no concern over black crush etc on LG 7 + OLED TVs, the full dynamic range of capability of Dolby Vision is already tuned in the picture setting default (like Cinema) to how the titles are mastered to be played back in DV.

The discs are a bit of an investment, but critical viewing of Dolby Vision content (meaning where a TV or the DV format itself is judged) shouldn't rely on the 1/10 lower bitrate streaming content, but the full high bitrate dynamic ranged presentation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3180.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	833.8 KB
ID:	2348700  

Last edited by Al Leong; 01-20-2018 at 03:48 PM.
post #71 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I saw it.. That has to be on the content maker end.. or a missed instruction in the DV timestamp metadata there to go 24 frame 0% black..

When "September" shows, the bg frame is black.

It's the only frame that does that on fade to black I saw (outside the manual adjustment test I did here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post55536674 )
post #72 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 68

Dolby Vision Cinema (on 2017, and Dark Movie in 2016) settings should not be touched, not any of them except the white balance to calibrate the greyscale in 2017...

Touching "OLED LIGHT" brokes the tone mapping of DV and brighter things will look dull, while darker things will look "brighter", thats why it should NEVER be touched

Touching Brightness is just to crush blacks trying to avoid that grey bars, or to make it full gray, so do not touch it

The issue is in the DOLBY VISION FIRMWARE itself and HOW IT WORKS WITH HDMI SOURCES

So unless you can edit a firmware, stop trying any fix, i've already tried anything for months, stop confusing people, please

As i said, leave the settings as default, since it's how it will show the best PQ and the closest to the intended
RichB and -Kaelis- like this.

Last edited by 256k; 01-20-2018 at 04:21 PM.
post #73 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256k View Post

Dolby Vision Cinema (on 2017, and Dark Movie in 2016) settings should not be touched, not any of them except the white balance to calibrate the greyscale in 2017...

Touching "OLED LIGHT" brokes the tone mapping of DV and brighter things will look dull, while darker things will look "brighter", thats why it should NEVER be touched

Touching Brightness is just to crush blacks trying to avoid that grey bars, or to make it full gray, so do not touch it

The issue is in the DOLBY VISION FIRMWARE itself and HOW IT WORKS WITH HDMI SOURCES

So unless you can edit a firmware, stop trying any fix, i've already tried anything for months, stop confusing people, please

As i said, leave the settings as default, since it's how it will show the best PQ and the closest to the intended
I agree with HDMI source. The issue is there's currently 2 sides to Dolby Vision, the HDMI delivered content which Brightness shouldn't be touched, and the streaming delivered version that due to the lower bitrate, the low black level details need a boost in Brightness controls to see low black level details when compared to streaming HDR10.

The issue is people interested in Dolby Vision are not aware there's different "profiles" in the Dolby Vision spec that are used to deliver the disc over HDMI, ATV 4K over HDMI, and internal streaming App delivery. Different DV profiles require different levels of processing, more with HDMI (where adjusting Brightness makes the process unstable) and less processing with internal streaming App (reason why Brightness can be adjusted without any gray side effects).

If there's any DV gray side effect issues with any known internal App content, I'd love to check it out.

It seems no one knows, or can explain why this is happening from Dolby or Apple. I don't believe at all it's an LG issue, due to the abundance of solid DV I've been looking at on LG sets since the G6 in 2016.

I've been running into many proclamations about LG having a DV issue, more so since the Sony DV update, and wanted to research where and how did people get that idea.

I personally now understand it to satisfaction.

Last edited by Al Leong; 01-20-2018 at 05:10 PM.
post #74 of 1258 Old 01-20-2018, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

This can't be right. The system can't be designed so that you have to use the same OLED light setting no matter your viewing environment.
Al Leong likes this.
post #75 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
This can't be right. The system can't be designed so that you have to use the same OLED light setting no matter your viewing environment.
But it is , tested in lots of movies (I have 49 Dolby Vision movies, you tell me), for example using Dolby Vision Bright makes everything brighter, yes, but at the cost that it clips lots of tiny details on the image that are perfectly visible in Dolby Vision Dark Movie

You can test this by yourself, and this is for you too AI Leong, so you stop talking nonsense

Download the only Dolby Vision demo avalible, that promo from 2016, and pause the scene of the plane with the sunset over the water, now increase the OLED LIGHT, you'll see how the sun reflect totally alters the look of the water, clipping it and changing in the process lots of colors

DO NEVER TOUCH THE DV SETTINGS, NOT IN HDMI SOURCES, NOT IN STREAMING! (EXCEPT WHITE BALANCE IN 2017 SERIES)

Dolby Vision will try to adapt as many colors/highlights possible into your TV, IT DOES NOT MATTER how OLED LIGHT is set up, if there's something really bright, it will be bright anyways, LG should block any use of those settings since they just induce to problems with the content, once Dolby releases the fix, there will be NOTHING to touch there except what i've said, the White Balance in 2017 series
wxman and -Kaelis- like this.

Last edited by 256k; 01-21-2018 at 02:39 AM.
post #76 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Man, I must be either in the minority or not seeing what everyone else is, but I see nothing but perfect blacks on my LG via any source.
post #77 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Thank god this is an actual issue!!

I've only just started watching HDR material on my B6 OLED, mainly from Netflix Dolby Vision and to me it looks garbage....

when I see the DV logo on a series I want to watch I am literally disappointed. It actually makes me change my mind about viewing it, because of the NEGATIVE associations with the picture quality.

I've watched The Punisher and Stranger Things 2 all the way through because they are amazing series but the black levels are HORRBILE!! even in 2008, which is 10 years ago I would have been disappointed because Pioneer Kuros have been producing much deeper black levels than that.

they're gray and remind me more of a 2007 (8G) Kuro, which is hugely disappointing. I thought OLEDs were supposed to produce perfect 0 nit blacks no matter what.

I've experienced the elevated black levels with other DV series as well but the DV PQ has kept me away from watching more.

series that are in 4K and SDR look absolutely phenomenal however. Like really, REALLY good. The Indian Detective, Black Sails, House of Cards, Marco Polo etc they are all REFERENCE in image quality and easily on par with best blu-ray movies.
post #78 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
No problem with Dolby Vision over here, though I'm only using the built-in Netflix app. Stranger Things 2 dark scenes are pitch-black when watching at night without any light on.

As someone else said, I believe you shouldn't touch any picture settings when watching DV content. The interest of Dolby Vision is specifically that every frame is supposed to be optimized. By bumping the brightness you're bond to break the tonal balance.
Al Leong likes this.

LG 65C7 - Xbox One X - Klipsch R15PM - Klipsch R12SW - Sennheiser HD650
post #79 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
But it is , tested in lots of movies (I have 49 Dolby Vision movies, you tell me), for example using Dolby Vision Bright makes everything brighter, yes, but at the cost that it clips lots of tiny details on the image that are perfectly visible in Dolby Vision Dark Movie

You can test this by yourself, and this is for you too AI Leong, so you stop talking nonsense

Download the only Dolby Vision demo avalible, that promo from 2016, and pause the scene of the plane with the sunset over the water, now increase the OLED LIGHT, you'll see how the sun reflect totally alters the look of the water, clipping it and changing in the process lots of colors

DO NEVER TOUCH THE DV SETTINGS, NOT IN HDMI SOURCES, NOT IN STREAMING! (EXCEPT WHITE BALANCE IN 2017 SERIES)

Dolby Vision will try to adapt as many colors/highlights possible into your TV, IT DOES NOT MATTER how OLED LIGHT is set up, if there's something really bright, it will be bright anyways, LG should block any use of those settings since they just induce to problems with the content, once Dolby releases the fix, there will be NOTHING to touch there except what i've said, the White Balance in 2017 series
I've already explained my opinion on what's going on.. I used 3 LG OLED TVs to determine it. OLED Light over HDMI is no issue for me. Brightness control over HDMI can break at 53, Brightness control over DV streaming doesn't show the same effect. it's all dependent on what DV profile the content is pushed to the processor, and how hard the processor has to work determines your ability to use the picture settings.

Anyone that's ever overclocked a PC video card and saw GPU artifacts as a result of overworked processor errors can understand the "DV issue" when the processor is made to work too hard. Again, I've never witness the issue with DV streaming changing any picture mode settings, only on the higher bitrate HDMI source from an OPPO 203.

Tone mapping clipping with the DV demo is not the same issue others (and I) are talking about with the gray/blacks over HDMI. OLED light adjustment affect tone mapping in Dolby Vision the same way Dynamic Contrast does on LG OLEDs and Advanced Contrast Enhancer on Sony OLED. Pretty much for me, I've settled on:

1) Dolby Vision over HDMI uses the maximum DV profile for processing and adding any additional strain on the processor produce processor instability
2) Dolby Vision over streaming does not use maximum processing power and leaves room for top level picture adjustments.

The many plethora of LG owners can test it out for themselves, this is just what I've found because "DV on LG is broke" looked a bit over zealous in other postings.

Any further posts showing that HDMI DV and streaming DV produce the same issue with picture adjustments would be welcome, the previous post is just my finding.

Last edited by Al Leong; 01-21-2018 at 05:56 AM.
post #80 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1) Dolby Vision over HDMI uses the maximum DV profile for processing and adding any additional strain on the processor produce processor instability
2) Dolby Vision over streaming does not use maximum processing power and leaves room for top level picture adjustments.
That may be the reason why Sony is using a different DV profile which requires the source devices to do all the heavy lifting. Thus Sony owners are waiting for Apple, OPPO, etc to update their devices so DV will work properly. I wonder if that would fix LG owners issues too, in case we dont get a fix from LG.

post #81 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Oppo Beta Group

^ Dolby admits that DV over HDMI is a problem. There is not problem DV via LG internal apps.

I have tested your OLED light hypothesis and it simple DOES NOT work.

Furthur supposition and personal experience advances nothing.
We must wait for the fix.

- Rich
wxman and Stuntman_Mike like this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #82 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
^ Dolby admits that DV over HDMI is a problem. There is not problem DV via LG internal apps.

I have tested your OLED light hypothesis and it simple DOES NOT work.

Furthur supposition and personal experience advances nothing.
We must wait for the fix.

- Rich
I'm at the end of American Assassin 4K UHD from a OPPO 203 to a 77" G7 (as I type this), 100% perfect beautiful Dolby Vision presentation, no issues at all.

The Sony members, me owning 2 A1Es, have taken their bitterness a bit overboard... and for the record, I tried to tell everyone Dolby Vision on the X1E may have a hardware issue to much backlash...

Dolby Vision works over HDMI on a $600 TCL, the only issue I can tell is Apple and Sony.

Edit: Kick Ass, 4K UHD Dolby Vision disc playing now, no issue, flawless.

Last edited by Al Leong; 01-21-2018 at 11:54 AM.
post #83 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
That may be the reason why Sony is using a different DV profile which requires the source devices to do all the heavy lifting. Thus Sony owners are waiting for Apple, OPPO, etc to update their devices so DV will work properly. I wonder if that would fix LG owners issues too, in case we dont get a fix from LG.
Sony is using a low power DV profile that decodes streaming... Archer at Forbes etc and the rest are left embarrassed having gone on the record and hyped their advanced preview of seeing Dolby Vision work on the A1E... to much hyperbole that Sony couldn't fulfill. The rub is X1E TV owners, because of the year long wait, wanted to believe the DV the Sony TVs would get was going to be the "best" DV ever seen... unfortunately, as it stands today, its the poorest implementation of DV ever seen.

So the compensation for the embarrassment is to state Sony is using some "new" DV, which is simply not true. Sony is currently using a discounted low power version of Dolby Vision that can handle streaming level bitrates. Dolby drafts versions bitrate specs for their formats such as Dolby Atmos: the Dolby Atmos you get over VUDU is at a much lower bitrate than what you get on a 4K UHD Blu-ray disc. But the low bitrate streaming Atmos and the high bitrate disc Atmos both are recognized as "Atmos" on a compatible AVR. Sony for DV is using the low bitrate implementation, as far as Sony's obligation, they always said they would offer DV, and they did deliver, it's just they took advantage of guys like Archer etc presumption they were previewing something more than they were.

Spiderman: Homecoming is a Sony Pictures title, the 4K UHD delivering Dolby Vision... How is it that Sony's so-called flagship TVs and 4K UHD player CAN'T play this movie back in it's full presentation quality?!?!? From the excuses given thus far, the Spiderman disc is not mastered in this alleged coveted "low profile".

Where this gets extra wacky with Sony is their ST5000 sound bar allows DV pass-through HDMI ports?!?!?

Dolby Vision over HDMI has to be able to handle processing of the top "full" Dolby Vision profile which other manufacturers installed a dedicated chip in their TVs to do (this has been since 2016 LGs and Vizio).

Sure, the hardware can do the heavy lifting, and what that means is there needs to be some kind of DV profile "down conversion" on the player side to dither the DV data to the lower powered profile so the Sony implementation can recognize it.

I don't believe an OPPO 203 was designed with the processor to do such conversions, perhaps Sony's new 4K UHD player will offer the external DV prep processing. I have 2 of Sony's first 4K UHD player and they both crash within 1 1/2 movie playback.. both ST5000 sound bars had to go in for servicing and both had to have their main boards replaced due to random malfunction. Good luck to Sony selling a DV processing set-top-box.. I'd rather have a dedicated DV chip personally, but..

There may be a silver lining here in that this lighter Dolby Vision can be pushed out to many older displays and projectors as a FW update granted a player like the Sony, or a top shelf gaming console like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X has more than enough GPU power to do the DV down conversion to meet the low profile standards Sony is first to employ.

But the message is clear, if you want the full "real" Dolby Vision, you should invest in a TV with a SoC with a dedicated DV processor (LG, Vizio, TCL).

I'm betting the A8F has a dedicated DV processor hidden next to the X1E chip, that would be the worse move Sony could make instead of just standing by their software DV implementation... streaming DV is what most people will watch anyways. I think anyone really dedicated to DV content on OLED (I am one) would have already invested in at least 1 LG unit since 2016 that can do it.

Last edited by Al Leong; 01-21-2018 at 11:43 AM.
post #84 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1884 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Dolby Vision works over HDMI on a $600 TCL, the only issue I can tell is Apple and Sony.
What issue with Apple?

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #85 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
What issue with Apple?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#4911c0022906

My only issue with Archer is trying to blanket the issue with Apple as to having some same issue with 4K UHD discs when it's likely he adjusted his DV picture settings (reviewers usually try to "calibrate their TVs) that's causing his 4K DV discs issues.
post #86 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My only issue with Archer is trying to blanket the issue with Apple as to having some same issue with 4K UHD discs when it's likely he adjusted his DV picture settings (reviewers usually try to "calibrate their TVs) that's causing his 4K DV discs issues.
I'm confused -- are you being sarcastic? That Archer article you linked says there is no issue with the Apple TV 4K or any other source device.

post #87 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 12:08 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
I'm at the end of American Assassin 4K UHD from a OPPO 203 to a 77" G7 (as I type this), 100% perfect beautiful Dolby Vision presentation, no issues at all.

The Sony members, me owning 2 A1Es, have taken their bitterness a bit overboard... and for the record, I tried to tell everyone Dolby Vision on the X1E may have a hardware issue to much backlash...

Edit: Kick Ass, 4K UHD Dolby Vision disc playing now, no issue, flawless.
Watch it at night

Perhaps your special, but the problem is confirmed. I don't know why you don't accept it.
Forbes and Dolby are correct.
Nuff said.

- Rich

Last edited by RichB; 01-21-2018 at 05:51 PM.
post #88 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sony is using a low power DV profile that decodes streaming
Do you have an "official" statement from Sony or Dolby that supports this idea?
Do you have any Dolby information that supports the idea of 'top "full" Dolby Vision profile' versus not "Full"?

post #89 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Watch it a night

Perhaps your special, but the problem is confirmed. I don't know why you don't accept it.
Nuff said.

- Rich
I just want LG to send out the Dolby fix as soon as possible. Heck, I will even be a beta tester.

post #90 of 1258 Old 01-21-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Watch it a night

Nuff said.

- Rich
Ok. Highlights are a bit too bright for the iPhone X cam.. this G7 is in a 100% dark room environment. I guess I'm Ok with the way things are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4239.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	637.2 KB
ID:	2349124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2540.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	910.1 KB
ID:	2349126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1318.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	623.3 KB
ID:	2349128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3943.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	590.5 KB
ID:	2349130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1116.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	713.7 KB
ID:	2349132  

Name:	IMG_4781.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1,019.0 KB
ID:	2349134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3046.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1,016.0 KB
ID:	2349136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2178.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	938.6 KB
ID:	2349140  

Last edited by Al Leong; 01-21-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page