Status of Dolby Vision raised blacks issue on OLEDS - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 334Likes

post #1141 of 1258 Old 11-10-2018, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
No problem. Here are the very easy instructions.

On the service remote, depress the ADJ button.
Enter 0413.
Arrow down to Sub B/C
Hit OK on remote
Left arrow to lower sub brightness to 127.
Hit Exit on remote.

That's it.

If you want to turn off ASBL

Depress In Start on remote
Enter 0413
Arrow down to 13. OLED
Right arrow to TPC Enable.
Right arrow to turn off
Hit exit button on remote

You have now turned ASBL off.

******Word of Warning. Do not depress the In Stop button. That resets everything, including timers, etc.******
This worked perfectly. Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1258 Old 11-10-2018, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Does anyone have an isioated issue of raised shadows with Vudu on Apple TV 4K? Netflix and iTunes work fine on Apple TV with identical content. The movies I have in Dolby Vision on disc play pretty much 1:1 with their iTunes counterparts and the internal Vudu app. When I stream these titles on Vudu on Apple TV however, I’m getting a washed out image as if the brightness or gamma was boosted far too high. Black Lanther has almost comically bad, the early dimly life scenes are just washed out revealing compression artifacts in shadow detail. This doesn’t look like it effects the black bars though.

LG OLED55B7A | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700
Pioneer Sx-750 | TEC TC-7220 | Kenwood VR 507 | ADS 500 Acoustic Suspension Speakers
Denon DL-110 | Technics SL-1700
post #1143 of 1258 Old 11-10-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie.modernist View Post
Does anyone have an isioated issue of raised shadows with Vudu on Apple TV 4K? Netflix and iTunes work fine on Apple TV with identical content. The movies I have in Dolby Vision on disc play pretty much 1:1 with their iTunes counterparts and the internal Vudu app. When I stream these titles on Vudu on Apple TV however, I’m getting a washed out image as if the brightness or gamma was boosted far too high. Black Lanther has almost comically bad, the early dimly life scenes are just washed out revealing compression artifacts in shadow detail. This doesn’t look like it effects the black bars though.
DV on the ATV4K is messed up.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 1258 Old 11-10-2018, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'm reading a lot about the DV issue being an ATV4k-problem, but I'm seeing it on on integrated Netflix app on my C8 as well.

I just started watching The Haunting of Hill House, and the opening scene in the kids bedroom looks horrible - very washed out "pale". Are you guys seeing this is well? Is it just poor content (I can't really believe that to be the case when this is a quite prominent Netflix exclusive) or are there really issues even with the native apps?

Is there any DV-content on Netflix that you guys would say looks really good, for reference?
post #1145 of 1258 Old 11-10-2018, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker1225 View Post
Still completely broken on LG C8 thought Apple TV 4K.

Watching Netflix and getting both raised blacks and dark scenes that appear to be WAY darker than than they should be. Occasionally it seems like the scene setting change mid-scene.
So it actually looks like the second issue I was describing isn’t actually a DV-related issue, but an auto-dimming error that appears to have existed for at least 3 years now with no fix.

For some incredibly stupid reason, the TV believes that any scene set in prolonged darkness is a static image, and kicks in the auto dimming to preserve the screen. There also seems to be no way to correct this other than getting into the service menu and completely disabling the auto-dimming feature.

Kind of an amazing failure that I can’t believe they haven’t fixed.
post #1146 of 1258 Old 11-10-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
DV on the ATV4K is messed up.
Historically sure. After all the LG and Apple updates, I’ve done some testing I’m seeing iTunes library DV as 1:1 to disc playback and internal Vudu streaming. It’s just Vudu on Apple TV, and it may not even be specially DV. There’s something whacky going on...

Pioneer Sx-750 | TEC TC-7220 | Kenwood VR 507 | ADS 500 Acoustic Suspension Speakers
post #1147 of 1258 Old 11-10-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielcrk View Post
I'm reading a lot about the DV issue being an ATV4k-problem, but I'm seeing it on on integrated Netflix app on my C8 as well.

I just started watching The Haunting of Hill House, and the opening scene in the kids bedroom looks horrible - very washed out "pale". Are you guys seeing this is well? Is it just poor content (I can't really believe that to be the case when this is a quite prominent Netflix exclusive) or are there really issues even with the native apps?

Is there any DV-content on Netflix that you guys would say looks really good, for reference?
Are you referring to how it’s not “zero black”? A sort of lifted look? This is just the shows look & feel, much like Last Jedi and Arrival. Ditto for Maniac on Netflix, it’s an aesthetic choice that has nothing to do with the “raised blacks” if the bars remain dark. Hill House did have a few scenes where the brightness level switched mid scene, not sure if this was a bad rush-job mastering it, or the ATVs fault.

IMO a decent point of reference for Netflix DV is actually this last season of Arrested Development, as the color grade is pretty flat, with black levels that are not raised or artificially boosted.

post #1148 of 1258 Old 11-11-2018, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Are you referring to how it’s not “zero black”? A sort of lifted look? This is just the shows look & feel, much like Last Jedi and Arrival. Ditto for Maniac on Netflix, it’s an aesthetic choice that has nothing to do with the “raised blacks” if the bars remain dark. Hill House did have a few scenes where the brightness level switched mid scene, not sure if this was a bad rush-job mastering it, or the ATVs fault.
Yeah, I thought it might be an artistic choice as well, just surprised that so many shows seem to go with it. I haven't noticed it that much before getting a HDR/DV tv, but it might be Netflix thing.

Quote:
IMO a decent point of reference for Netflix DV is actually this last season of Arrested Development, as the color grade is pretty flat, with black levels that are not raised or artificially boosted.
Thanks, I'll have a look. A good excuse to rewatch the latest season as well
post #1149 of 1258 Old 11-11-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielcrk View Post
Yeah, I thought it might be an artistic choice as well, just surprised that so many shows seem to go with it. I haven't noticed it that much before getting a HDR/DV tv, but it might be Netflix thing.

Thanks, I'll have a look. A good excuse to rewatch the latest season as well
Yeah a good way to check is to just watch the SDR trailers, the black level is in that too. Personally, I like the look but it’s a bit tricky in the DV grade. Since the show is very dark in luminance in DV, but has those lifted blacks, it’s one of the few shows that reveals the OLED vertical banding. This title does display some raised black bars but overall the issue is pretty subtle with the latest firmware and TVOS. All in all, I’m surprised LG had being using it to advertise the line this year lol.

post #1150 of 1258 Old 11-12-2018, 10:45 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
So it actually looks like the second issue I was describing isn’t actually a DV-related issue, but an auto-dimming error that appears to have existed for at least 3 years now with no fix.

For some incredibly stupid reason, the TV believes that any scene set in prolonged darkness is a static image, and kicks in the auto dimming to preserve the screen. There also seems to be no way to correct this other than getting into the service menu and completely disabling the auto-dimming feature.

Kind of an amazing failure that I can’t believe they haven’t fixed.
Yep, this is ASBL. I found it intolerable and disabled it in the service menu. The ending of Unforgiven demonstrates this problem. The climax of the film is so dark that the TV thought it was a static image and dimmed itself, making the entire end of the film unwatchably dark. Turning ASBL off completely fixed the problem, and unless you plan to abuse your panel by leaving it on a static image for hours at a time, I see no downside to disabling this “feature”. Doing so has had no negative effect on my panel.
post #1151 of 1258 Old 11-12-2018, 11:39 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croweyes1121 View Post
Yep, this is ASBL. I found it intolerable and disabled it in the service menu. The ending of Unforgiven demonstrates this problem. The climax of the film is so dark that the TV thought it was a static image and dimmed itself, making the entire end of the film unwatchably dark. Turning ASBL off completely fixed the problem, and unless you plan to abuse your panel by leaving it on a static image for hours at a time, I see no downside to disabling this “feature”. Doing so has had no negative effect on my panel.
Yep, I've got a Harmony remote so I plan on doing just that. There were several scenes in the new Sabrina series on Netflix where I encountered the issue.
post #1152 of 1258 Old 11-12-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Yep, I've got a Harmony remote so I plan on doing just that. There were several scenes in the new Sabrina series on Netflix where I encountered the issue.
You can also see the impact of ASBL when transitioning from a dark sequence to a bright scene. You’ll see the panel suddenly jump from dim to bright. It’s incredibly distracting. I understand the point of this setting, but LG should have at least given us the option of adjusting its tolerance (say, allowing us to set a 30-minute activation window rather than whatever it is by default, which seems like 5-10 minutes or so).
post #1153 of 1258 Old 11-12-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
You can also see the impact of ASBL when transitioning from a dark sequence to a bright scene. You’ll see the panel suddenly jump from dim to bright. It’s incredibly distracting. I understand the point of this setting, but LG should have at least given us the option of adjusting its tolerance (say, allowing us to set a 30-minute activation window rather than whatever it is by default, which seems like 5-10 minutes or so).
Thanks, this confirms a lot of what I was thinking was the DV issue. I've seen these issues in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2(iTunes) Sabrina (Netflix) and Hill House (Netflix) on the Apple TV. While all of these also exhibited some slight raised black bars (very minor all things considered) I was figuring the mid scene brightness change was also a DV glitch. The continuing theme seems to be the persistence of dark images leading to a dimming, then jumping back up in luminance when something changes in the scene... Very stupid to have this on in DV mode IMO as the luminance is already popping all over the place by design. Does disabling this feature void the warranty? I have my ATV set to go to screensaver as quickly as possible anyhow.

post #1154 of 1258 Old 11-12-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks, this confirms a lot of what I was thinking was the DV issue. I've seen these issues in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2(iTunes) Sabrina (Netflix) and Hill House (Netflix) on the Apple TV. While all of these also exhibited some slight raised black bars (very minor all things considered) I was figuring the mid scene brightness change was also a DV glitch. The continuing theme seems to be the persistence of dark images leading to a dimming, then jumping back up in luminance when something changes in the scene... Very stupid to have this on in DV mode IMO as the luminance is already popping all over the place by design. Does disabling this feature void the warranty? I have my ATV set to go to screensaver as quickly as possible anyhow.
1. I can promise you from what you’re saying that ASBL is your issue and that disabling it will correct this problem.

2. Unfortunately, messing with ANYTHING in the service menu will void your warranty. Goes with the territory. I’ve personally always wondered how they’d ever know you changed anything if you just changed it back beforehand (if you could still access the SM, of course), but I assume LG has their ways.
post #1155 of 1258 Old 11-12-2018, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
1. I can promise you from what you’re saying that ASBL is your issue and that disabling it will correct this problem.

2. Unfortunately, messing with ANYTHING in the service menu will void your warranty. Goes with the territory. I’ve personally always wondered how they’d ever know you changed anything if you just changed it back beforehand (if you could still access the SM, of course), but I assume LG has their ways.
I would be nice if some folks with x8 model sets (i.e. with active warranties) could open tickets with LG, site some of these program examples (especially streaming examples, that are readily available), and "whine" about the fact that LG's ASBL algorithm is "inadequate" (an obvious understatement). It needs to tolerate a higher % of the screen appearing to be static, and/or as was indicated above, not kick in for a slightly longer period of time. It's ridiculous that anyone would be forced to void their warranty, in order to be able to properly watch program content. If LG were to tweak their code, I would suspect (hope) that they'd push it into some of the older models as well.
post #1156 of 1258 Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
I would be nice if some folks with x8 model sets (i.e. with active warranties) could open tickets with LG, site some of these program examples (especially streaming examples, that are readily available), and "whine" about the fact that LG's ASBL algorithm is "inadequate" (an obvious understatement). It needs to tolerate a higher % of the screen appearing to be static, and/or as was indicated above, not kick in for a slightly longer period of time. It's ridiculous that anyone would be forced to void their warranty, in order to be able to properly watch program content. If LG were to tweak their code, I would suspect (hope) that they'd push it into some of the older models as well.
While I certainly sympathize, I wouldn’t hold my breath for LG to fix something they consider a feature. It’s an incredibly stupid feature IMHO, but the panel is operating as designed. As far as they’re concerned, this is not a defect (whatever we cinephiles may think). FWIW, I turned ASBL off and never looked back. I’d rather void my warranty and enjoy my OLED while it does last than be constantly irritated by this kind of crap for years until when/if the panel breaks down. I’ve enjoyed my television so much more since changing the settings and being able to watch content as intended that I don’t regret it one bit.
post #1157 of 1258 Old 11-13-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Ah, that's unfortunate as I have a 3 year through LG... It's too bad, I can see why it's a feature but it should be an on/off like pixel shift. At least it is defeat-able in its own way via the service menu. It's unfortunate since the "dark" grading is really on trend, with Bradford Young on Arrival, Solo, and on the TV shows we've been discussing. The OLEDs with HDR should really be helping the filmmakers pull off this look through shadow detail and deep contrast, but they end up screwing it up. Thanks for confirming it's ASBL, now at least I can live with it knowing it's not in the content itself.

post #1158 of 1258 Old 11-14-2018, 05:34 PM

On a related note, have you guys noticed that DV and/or HDR10 brightness just isn’t consistent from disc to disc, and sometimes even scene to scene? I find that for some movies, 51 is fine (jet black letterbox bars), and then for others, I have to go down as far as 49 to get them to disappear entirely (this is after adjusting the sub brightness down one, so your numbers might instead be 50-48). It’s incredibly frustrating to have to adjust this for every disc I put it my player. And a film that might start out fine at the 51 might suddenly have a random scene that jumps the letterbox bars to gray, forcing me to essentially choose the lowest common denominator setting based on the most raised black scene in the film so that I never see the issue. Anyone else notice this?
post #1159 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
On a related note, have you guys noticed that DV and/or HDR10 brightness just isn’t consistent from disc to disc, and sometimes even scene to scene? I find that for some movies, 51 is fine (jet black letterbox bars), and then for others, I have to go down as far as 49 to get them to disappear entirely (this is after adjusting the sub brightness down one, so your numbers might instead be 50-48). It’s incredibly frustrating to have to adjust this for every disc I put it my player. And a film that might start out fine at the 51 might suddenly have a random scene that jumps the letterbox bars to gray, forcing me to essentially choose the lowest common denominator setting based on the most raised black scene in the film so that I never see the issue. Anyone else notice this?
This is the DV bug which was fixed for 2016 TVs. It was supposed to be fixed for 2017-2018 but there still are occasional complaints.

This should not happen with HDR10 discs. Some older UHD discs did have some mastering issues which required a onetime adjustment to set the black level properly, but the levels should never change?

What TV and disc player are you using? Keep in mind both the source and the TV required firmware updates to fix this issue.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #1160 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With DV, the default brightness of 50 should be correct, unless you lower sub brightness to 127, then it should be 51. I get no elevated black bars with HDR10, with the exception of Ender's Game which is known to be a poorly mastered UHD disc. However, I have since decided to have my OPPO 203 force HDR10 to DV as it produces better tone mapping and keeping brightness at 51.

post #1161 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
This is the DV bug which was fixed for 2016 TVs. It was supposed to be fixed for 2017-2018 but there still are occasional complaints.

This should not happen with HDR10 discs. Some older UHD discs did have some mastering issues which required a onetime adjustment to set the black level properly, but the levels should never change?

What TV and disc player are you using? Keep in mind both the source and the TV required firmware updates to fix this issue.
It absolutely happens with HDR10 as well, and yes, I have all latest firmware. I have an E6 and a Sony X700. Examples of HDR10 discrepancies: A Few Good Men never needs to be set below 51 brightness for pure black bars. Rambo: First Blood Part II has gray bars unless I set it to 49 (I tested both in a totally dark room at night). Both are HDR10.
post #1162 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
With DV, the default brightness of 50 should be correct, unless you lower sub brightness to 127, then it should be 51. I get no elevated black bars with HDR10, with the exception of Ender's Game which is known to be a poorly mastered UHD disc. However, I have since decided to have my OPPO 203 force HDR10 to DV as it produces better tone mapping and keeping brightness at 51.
My DV needs to stay at 50 even AFTER lowering sub brightness to 127 to get totally black bars on 2001 and a few scenes in Grease, so I just leave it at 50. HDR10 seemed fine for all content at 51 until I watched Rambo (which needs 49). To be fair, Rambo: First Blood Part II is the first and only disc I’ve noticed anything amiss with HDR10 brightness. I never thought to intentionally force DV (which I can do with my X700), as I assumed it would display things incorrectly. I’m very aggravated by the seemingly inconsistent nature of HDR across titles. I’m considering just putting little stickers with the HDR type and brightness setting on all my 4K titles going forward.

Last edited by Croweyes1121; 11-15-2018 at 07:27 AM.
post #1163 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Think this is really dependent on the content for Dolby Vision. For example using the C8's built in Netflix app Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events Season 2, and Haunting of Hill house Season 1 both have elevated blacks. Setting Brightness to 49 gets everything in line. Using Cinema User preset with the Oled Light and Contrast cranked to 100. Some have reported and measured the blacks in the C7 master thread to perform similarly. However other titles like Luke Cage, Daredevil etc, dont seem to have these elevated blacks using similar settings. Eg. Brightness at 50. So I'm not really sure where the problem lies.
post #1164 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiecesfit View Post
Think this is really dependent on the content for Dolby Vision. For example using the C8's built in Netflix app Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events Season 2, and Haunting of Hill house Season 1 both have elevated blacks. Setting Brightness to 49 gets everything in line. Using Cinema User preset with the Oled Light and Contrast cranked to 100. Some have reported and measured the blacks in the C7 master thread to perform similarly. However other titles like Luke Cage, Daredevil etc, dont seem to have these elevated blacks using similar settings. Eg. Brightness at 50. So I'm not really sure where the problem lies.
The bug only affects DV over HDMI. If there are brightness variances between DV shows on the internal app then its entirely a mastering issue with the show.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #1165 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Exactly. It isn't a panel or firmware issue in any way, because different titles are behaving differently. It's got to be an encoding issue. When I can sit there and skim through the entirety of A Few Good Men in a totally black room and never once see the letterbox bars at 51 brightness, and then see them on Rambo II at the same brightness setting, then something is up with the software, not the player or panel. This is not JUST a DV issue or I wouldn't be seeing different black levels on the two discs in question, which are both HDR10. The base black level on both of those discs are clearly different. Like I said, I don't have a ton of UHD material right now. About 10 discs. So I think I'm just going to put little stickers on my 4K discs with the proper brightness setting for that particular disc. It's irritating, but apparently necessary.

Again, if anyone else wants to test and confirm:
LG OLED E6
Sony X700
A Few Good Men (gray bars begin at 52*)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (gray bars begin at 50*)
*decrease both by 1 if you have not changed your sub-brightness to 127.

This MUST be tested in a completely black room.

Last edited by Croweyes1121; 11-15-2018 at 10:56 AM.
post #1166 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exactly. It isn't a panel or firmware issue in any way, because different titles are behaving differently. It's got to be an encoding issue. When I can sit there and skim through the entirety of A Few Good Men in a totally black room and never once see the letterbox bars at 51 brightness, and then see them on Rambo II at the same brightness setting, then something is up with the software, not the player or panel. This is not JUST a DV issue or I wouldn't be seeing different black levels on the two discs in question, which are both HDR10. The base black level on both of those discs are clearly different. Like I said, I don't have a ton of UHD material right now. About 10 discs. So I think I'm just going to put little stickers on my 4K discs with the proper brightness setting for that particular disc. It's irritating, but apparently necessary.

LG OLED E6
Sony X700
*increase both by 1 if you have not changed your sub-brightness to 127.

You actually have to increase brightness by 1 click for every sub brightness click you lower. So if you are at 50 with sub brightness at 128, you have to set brightness at 51 with sub brightness at 127.

post #1167 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
The bug only affects DV over HDMI. If there are brightness variances between DV shows on the internal app then its entirely a mastering issue with the show.

While I think some people mistake mastering that isn't 100% black as the bug, last year internal DV shows did have issues where completely black frames would be displayed as grey like during the Mindhunter credits, so it's not strictly related to HDMI connections.
post #1168 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

LG OLED E6
Sony X700
*increase both by 1 if you have not changed your sub-brightness to 127.

Do you have Dolby Vision on the x700 set to On or Off during these tests?

post #1169 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Assuming you're referring to the bars specifically outside of the image area. I would note both of these shows have the black levels toned down for a softer (filmic if you will) look vs a contrasty punch in SDR and DV. I'm most wondering if this sort of average black level doesn't somehow effect the encoding or processing in a negative way. Last Jedi which also used toned down black levels was a big offender with the credits if I remember?

Unrelated, but has anyone watched Homecoming on Amazon? Great show, with great photography from Tod Campbell. This show also has high black levels by design (SDR), and applies them to the 1:1 pillarbox bars, making them gray. Love the look, but then it sort of reminded me of a bad DV experience lol.

post #1170 of 1258 Old 11-15-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
You actually have to increase brightness by 1 click for every sub brightness click you lower. So if you are at 50 with sub brightness at 128, you have to set brightness at 51 with sub brightness at 127.
Post corrected, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page