Status of Dolby Vision raised blacks issue on OLEDS - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 334Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1231 of 1258 Old 05-16-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,280
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I just discovered this thread and this I guess resolved Dolby Vision issue? I have an LG C8 and Have been using a UBK90 for about 6 months now. I have about 30 Dolby Vision discs and I honestly thought they were all fine. Does this issue affect anyone who has a C8? If I understand right, it's resolved now. But I don't know if I ever had the problem to begin with...
I have an E6 and an OPPO 203 and I do not have elevated blacks with DV. I watch in a dark room at night and blacks remain black. However, I did go into service menu and lowered sub brightness from 128 to 127 and that solved any issue I had with elevated blacks. DV via the apps still have perfect blacks when watching netflix.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1232 of 1258 Old 05-16-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I have an E6 and an OPPO 203 and I do not have elevated blacks with DV. I watch in a dark room at night and blacks remain black. However, I did go into service menu and lowered sub brightness from 128 to 127 and that solved any issue I had with elevated blacks. DV via the apps still have perfect blacks when watching netflix.
Is yours only fixed because you made a tweak in the service menu? What is the "sub brightness" anyway? I have accessed the service menu...but where would one even adjust that particular setting?
zeonstar is online now  
post #1233 of 1258 Old 05-16-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,280
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Is yours only fixed because you made a tweak in the service menu? What is the "sub brightness" anyway? I have accessed the service menu...but where would one even adjust that particular setting?
My first E6 and replacement E6 had a slight glow even with brightness set at 0 when watching gamma 2.2 with SDR material and DV material. It was obvious in a totally dark room with a 0% slide. I went into SM and lowered sub brightness from 128 to 127, and then raised the brightness 1 click in all picture modes, and blacks remained black. To get into SM with service remote hit ADJ button, not In Start, scroll down to sub B/C and lower brightness from 128 to 127. After that, you will need to raise brightness 1 click for all picture modes you use. So if brightness for DV is 50, you need to raise to 51. Same with SDR picture modes.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1234 of 1258 Old 05-16-2019, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
My first E6 and replacement E6 had a slight glow even with brightness set at 0 when watching gamma 2.2 with SDR material and DV material. It was obvious in a totally dark room with a 0% slide. I went into SM and lowered sub brightness from 128 to 127, and then raised the brightness 1 click in all picture modes, and blacks remained black. To get into SM with service remote hit ADJ button, not In Start, scroll down to sub B/C and lower brightness from 128 to 127. After that, you will need to raise brightness 1 click for all picture modes you use. So if brightness for DV is 50, you need to raise to 51. Same with SDR picture modes.
Thanks. I will mess around with mine tonight. I hate be stupid and ask but what is a 0% slide?
zeonstar is online now  
post #1235 of 1258 Old 05-16-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,280
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Thanks. I will mess around with mine tonight. I hate be stupid and ask but what is a 0% slide?
It's just a totally black slide. You can have the same effe ct for using internal youtube app and search for 10 hours HD black. Play that in the dark room and let your eyes adjust. If it's not black. lower brightness until it is. There is no DV slide.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #1236 of 1258 Old 05-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Hey all

Much as it pains me to write this, I discovered last night (Far too easily I might add) that my LG C8 does indeed have elevated blacks with Dolby Vision content over HDMI. My tests so far have only been with my Apple TV 4K box. I first tried Blade Runner 2049 and I could tell immediately the black bars were not quite black. With how easy I saw it last night, I don't know how I missed it before other than the fact that I wasn't "Looking" for it. But now it's one of those things I can't unsee. I sit pretty far back from my 65 inch TV, further back than is really ideal, about 13 feet but I could still see it easily.

After BR2049, I tried Mute on Netflix as someone recommended and I could see it there too.

Once I discovered it, I was experimenting with my picture settings (For DV content, I've been using Cinema Home.) I notice that simply changing brightness from 50 to 49 made the blacks completely black again. (I could tell the pixels making up the black bars went "Off" once I changed it to 49.) As easy as I fix as that was, something tells me it's not that simple. Am I right? What is the downside to changing my brightness to 49?

As @wxman mentioned in this thread, and as I have seen mentioned elsewhere after some googling, that one solution is to change the sub brightness to 127 and then change all your picture mode brightness settings up by 1. I briefly played with the sub brightness and it did not change anything it seemed. Am I missing something? Do I need to change the contrast too?

I'd really love it if someone could explain what the sub brightness is and why lowering it by 1 and then upping the regular brightness by 1 helps things. Wouldn't doing those 2 actions cancel each other out? What happens if you just change sub brightness to 127 and don't do anything to the user facing brightness setting?

I just got an x800m2 that I have watched about 5 minutes of a movie on so far. If I understand correctly, it will very likely solve this issue at least as far as disc based content goes so that's good at least. I have not been sure if I am going to even keep that player but if it does indeed fix the DV issue, that will definitely push me into the "Keep it" category.

Since I am a glutton for punishment, I am going to plug my UBK90 back in tonight and see what the black levels look like on my Dolby Vision UHD discs. Could be I have been watching Dolby Vision discs with elevated blacks for 6 months and not even been aware of it. So basically the entire time I have been watching 4K content. Haha!

I'm curious for those who have the DV issue, what have you done to resolve it? Sorry for all the questions.
zeonstar is online now  
post #1237 of 1258 Old 05-17-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,280
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Hey all

Much as it pains me to write this, I discovered last night (Far too easily I might add) that my LG C8 does indeed have elevated blacks with Dolby Vision content over HDMI. My tests so far have only been with my Apple TV 4K box. I first tried Blade Runner 2049 and I could tell immediately the black bars were not quite black. With how easy I saw it last night, I don't know how I missed it before other than the fact that I wasn't "Looking" for it. But now it's one of those things I can't unsee. I sit pretty far back from my 65 inch TV, further back than is really ideal, about 13 feet but I could still see it easily.

After BR2049, I tried Mute on Netflix as someone recommended and I could see it there too.

Once I discovered it, I was experimenting with my picture settings (For DV content, I've been using Cinema Home.) I notice that simply changing brightness from 50 to 49 made the blacks completely black again. (I could tell the pixels making up the black bars went "Off" once I changed it to 49.) As easy as I fix as that was, something tells me it's not that simple. Am I right? What is the downside to changing my brightness to 49?

As @wxman mentioned in this thread, and as I have seen mentioned elsewhere after some googling, that one solution is to change the sub brightness to 127 and then change all your picture mode brightness settings up by 1. I briefly played with the sub brightness and it did not change anything it seemed. Am I missing something? Do I need to change the contrast too?

I'd really love it if someone could explain what the sub brightness is and why lowering it by 1 and then upping the regular brightness by 1 helps things. Wouldn't doing those 2 actions cancel each other out? What happens if you just change sub brightness to 127 and don't do anything to the user facing brightness setting?

I just got an x800m2 that I have watched about 5 minutes of a movie on so far. If I understand correctly, it will very likely solve this issue at least as far as disc based content goes so that's good at least. I have not been sure if I am going to even keep that player but if it does indeed fix the DV issue, that will definitely push me into the "Keep it" category.

Since I am a glutton for punishment, I am going to plug my UBK90 back in tonight and see what the black levels look like on my Dolby Vision UHD discs. Could be I have been watching Dolby Vision discs with elevated blacks for 6 months and not even been aware of it. So basically the entire time I have been watching 4K content. Haha!

I'm curious for those who have the DV issue, what have you done to resolve it? Sorry for all the questions.
My sub brightness adjustment was because my panels would not show complete black, even when brightness was set at 0. I have an E6, so not the same panel as your C8. Sub brightness corrects the panel if it can't properly display absolute black at any brightness setting. So that's why it worked for me. Since you can lower brightness and get absolute black, then there is nothing wrong with your panel. There is variance from panel to panel. A brightness setting of 50 may be correct on one tv for DV and incorrect for others. For you 49 is correct. For others, 51 may be correct. Just like with other presets. For gamma 2.2, there have been panel variances where one panel has a proper setting of 50, others at 53, 54. These tv's are not calibrated at the factory. Lucky for us, we do have test patterns to set brightness correctly for SDR and HDR10, but not for DV. However, Spears and Muncil will becoming out with a new disc in the next month or two that will have patterns for SDR, DV and HDR and then we will be able to properly set our tv's brightness for DV. BTW, DV on the ATV4K is messed up on a lot of tv's. It's messed up on my E6. I can watch the DV version on my ATV and see elevated blacks, and then watch the same DV movie on VUDU using the internal app, and there are no elevated blacks.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D

Last edited by wxman; 05-17-2019 at 04:46 PM.
wxman is offline  
post #1238 of 1258 Old 05-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Lucky for us, we do have test patterns to set brightness correctly for SDR and HDR10, but not for DV..
Actually there is a free DV Black PLUGE pattern made by IgorZep. It only has black and two near-black bars but I guess that's better than having no pattern at all for DV and having to rely on content which you don't know how it was mastered.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post57600920
wxman likes this.
jk82 is offline  
post #1239 of 1258 Old 05-17-2019, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
My sub brightness adjustment was because my panels would not show complete black, even when brightness was set at 0. I have an E6, so not the same panel as your C8. Sub brightness corrects the panel if it can't properly display absolute black at any brightness setting. So that's why it worked for me. Since you can lower brightness and get absolute black, then there is nothing wrong with your panel. There is variance from panel to panel. A brightness setting of 50 may be correct on one tv for DV and incorrect for others. For you 49 is correct. For others, 51 may be correct. Just like with other presets. For gamma 2.2, there have been panel variances where one panel has a proper setting of 50, others at 53, 54. These tv's are not calibrated at the factory. Lucky for us, we do have test patterns to set brightness correctly for SDR and HDR10, but not for DV. However, Spears and Muncil will becoming out with a new disc in the next month or two that will have patterns for SDR, DV and HDR and then we will be able to properly set our tv's brightness for DV. BTW, DV on the ATV4K is messed up on a lot of tv's. It's messed up on my E6. I can watch the DV version on my ATV and see elevated blacks, and then watch the same DV movie on VUDU using the internal app, and there are no elevated blacks.
Thanks for the reply, and insight. I understand the sub brightness better now. In my case it sounds like something I don't need to worry about which is great. So on your TV even at ZERO brightness, black would still not be black? You could still see the pixels were "on." Ouch.

I'm sorry to ask the same question again, but fixing my black level for DV -- at least on Apple TV DV content -- is as simple as changing my brightness to 49? There is nothing more to it than that? I wont be making other things "too" dark? It seems way too simple for how big of a deal this Dolby Vision bug appears to be. Or maybe it isn't a big deal at all.

What TV modes let you change the Gamma from 2.2 and when/why would you want to? On DV at least, it's grayed out.

To determine the proper setting for black, as you are describing varies from panel to panel, it's essentially correct when black on your panel means the pixels are off?

Finally, I did not know the Spears and Muncil disc was so soon! I had not heard much news about it. Generally speaking, is it going to let us adjust our TV's by eye? I know that's not really how it's meant to be done with these 4K TVs, and you really need calibration equipment, but if that is not an option...I've been hoping the S&M disc will do. Better than nothing at least.
zeonstar is online now  
post #1240 of 1258 Old 05-17-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,280
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Thanks for the reply, and insight. I understand the sub brightness better now. In my case it sounds like something I don't need to worry about which is great. So on your TV even at ZERO brightness, black would still not be black? You could still see the pixels were "on." Ouch.

I'm sorry to ask the same question again, but fixing my black level for DV -- at least on Apple TV DV content -- is as simple as changing my brightness to 49? There is nothing more to it than that? I wont be making other things "too" dark? It seems way too simple for how big of a deal this Dolby Vision bug appears to be. Or maybe it isn't a big deal at all.

What TV modes let you change the Gamma from 2.2 and when/why would you want to? On DV at least, it's grayed out.

To determine the proper setting for black, as you are describing varies from panel to panel, it's essentially correct when black on your panel means the pixels are off?

Finally, I did not know the Spears and Muncil disc was so soon! I had not heard much news about it. Generally speaking, is it going to let us adjust our TV's by eye? I know that's not really how it's meant to be done with these 4K TVs, and you really need calibration equipment, but if that is not an option...I've been hoping the S&M disc will do. Better than nothing at least.
It was weird. Both my first E6, and it's replacement had elevated blacks using gamma 2.2 on SDR and also watching DV even with brightness at 0. Other people also had that issue with the E6, and I think it's more common than people think with that model, but unless you watch movies at night with the lights off, one wouldn't notice it. The odd part it only occurred with gamma 2.2. Not with 2.4 or 1886.

I can only change the gamma with SDR, not with HDR or DV.

Black is when pixels are completely off, and the best way to set brightness is with a totally black screen via the internal youtube app, watching in a totally dark room at night. Raise brightness until the screen glows, and then reduce one click at a time until it goes black. I don't think you are messing up DV on ATV by lowering brightness to 49. Whatever DV codec Apple is using is not the same as what is being used on disc, or even on Vudu.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #1241 of 1258 Old 05-17-2019, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Bacon_67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have to think lowering brightness to eliminate the glow on HDMI sources has to have some negative impact. If you watch the HDTVtest vid on the previous page, you can see different sources are outputting the exact same disc DV content differently, which appears to be what the Apple TV is doing as well.
Bacon_67 is offline  
post #1242 of 1258 Old 05-17-2019, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
It was weird. Both my first E6, and it's replacement had elevated blacks using gamma 2.2 on SDR and also watching DV even with brightness at 0. Other people also had that issue with the E6, and I think it's more common than people think with that model, but unless you watch movies at night with the lights off, one wouldn't notice it. The odd part it only occurred with gamma 2.2. Not with 2.4 or 1886.

I can only change the gamma with SDR, not with HDR or DV.

Black is when pixels are completely off, and the best way to set brightness is with a totally black screen via the internal youtube app, watching in a totally dark room at night. Raise brightness until the screen glows, and then reduce one click at a time until it goes black. I don't think you are messing up DV on ATV by lowering brightness to 49. Whatever DV codec Apple is using is not the same as what is being used on disc, or even on Vudu.
So in your case this wasn't even a Dolby Vision issue. It was something bigger.

Part of me actually though that by setting my black level based on pixels being off or on was a bit silly. But it actually sounds like that is exactly how I should be doing it. When setting it via a Black youtube video, are you referring to SDR only? Will setting it with internal apps carry over to being correct from external sources, though? Is there any reason just using black bars on a movie (be it SDR, HDR, or DV) isn't a viable option as well?

A little while ago I tried M:I Fallout Dolby Vision disc on my LG UBK90 and guess what -- Brightness at 50 wasn't true black! But 49 was fine. As I had heard there is an issue between source and display with this so called DV Bug (And LG equipment in particular) I wasn't really surprised. Though it does suck to now know my brightness was off by 1 pretty much the whole time I have had this TV. If I am being honest, it obviously wasn't noticable. Just bothered I didn't know it till now. I have had this TV for 6 months. Probably watched a 100 movies on it! About 30 in Dolby Vision.

But here is the kicker. I then switched to my new x800M2 player. Same movie, same scene. Brightness at 50 - Not true black. Brightness at 49 - Perfect black.

I wonder if in my case I don't have any kind of Dolby Vision bug. I wonder if my correct setting is simply Brightness at 49!
zeonstar is online now  
post #1243 of 1258 Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,280
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
So in your case this wasn't even a Dolby Vision issue. It was something bigger.

Part of me actually though that by setting my black level based on pixels being off or on was a bit silly. But it actually sounds like that is exactly how I should be doing it. When setting it via a Black youtube video, are you referring to SDR only? Will setting it with internal apps carry over to being correct from external sources, though? Is there any reason just using black bars on a movie (be it SDR, HDR, or DV) isn't a viable option as well?

A little while ago I tried M:I Fallout Dolby Vision disc on my LG UBK90 and guess what -- Brightness at 50 wasn't true black! But 49 was fine. As I had heard there is an issue between source and display with this so called DV Bug (And LG equipment in particular) I wasn't really surprised. Though it does suck to now know my brightness was off by 1 pretty much the whole time I have had this TV. If I am being honest, it obviously wasn't noticable. Just bothered I didn't know it till now. I have had this TV for 6 months. Probably watched a 100 movies on it! About 30 in Dolby Vision.

But here is the kicker. I then switched to my new x800M2 player. Same movie, same scene. Brightness at 50 - Not true black. Brightness at 49 - Perfect black.

I wonder if in my case I don't have any kind of Dolby Vision bug. I wonder if my correct setting is simply Brightness at 49!
The poor man's way to set brightness via the internal youtube app is about as good as you can get without a professional calibrator. I use full black screen because there is no other light on the screen to throw your eyes off. You let your eyes adjust to the darkness of the room and black screen, and after your eyes adjust, if your brightness is too high, you will see a glow, even if it is slight. I use that method for SDR. Unfortunately, there is no full black DV screen video on youtube to adjust brightness the same way. You can't use the fade to black screens in the movies, because if the movie is not mastered correctly, it could have a glow, and you would incorrectly set the brightness. Plus for DV it should right around 50. For you it's 49, and for me it's 51 because I adjusted the sun brightness, so i had to raise from 50 to 51. For HDR10, using test patterns, 53 is the correct brightness, but the picture looks washed out when it's that high because the E6 does not do a good job with tone mapping with HDR10. The newer models handle HDR10 much better. That's why I tend to only watch DV HDR movies, because at least with Apple, they have DV versions that are only HDR10 on disc.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #1244 of 1258 Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
So in your case this wasn't even a Dolby Vision issue. It was something bigger.



Part of me actually though that by setting my black level based on pixels being off or on was a bit silly. But it actually sounds like that is exactly how I should be doing it. When setting it via a Black youtube video, are you referring to SDR only? Will setting it with internal apps carry over to being correct from external sources, though? Is there any reason just using black bars on a movie (be it SDR, HDR, or DV) isn't a viable option as well?



A little while ago I tried M:I Fallout Dolby Vision disc on my LG UBK90 and guess what -- Brightness at 50 wasn't true black! But 49 was fine. As I had heard there is an issue between source and display with this so called DV Bug (And LG equipment in particular) I wasn't really surprised. Though it does suck to now know my brightness was off by 1 pretty much the whole time I have had this TV. If I am being honest, it obviously wasn't noticable. Just bothered I didn't know it till now. I have had this TV for 6 months. Probably watched a 100 movies on it! About 30 in Dolby Vision.



But here is the kicker. I then switched to my new x800M2 player. Same movie, same scene. Brightness at 50 - Not true black. Brightness at 49 - Perfect black.



I wonder if in my case I don't have any kind of Dolby Vision bug. I wonder if my correct setting is simply Brightness at 49!


Yeah that doesn’t sound like the Dolby Vision bug. All panels can have slight differences and may require different settings. Setting brightness correctly is one of the first tasks any calibrator will do and it sounds like you need your panel set at 49. The E6s had a bit of an issue with setting brightness in that the steps between brightness settings were a little too big. This often meant that people had to live with a little black crush as raising brightness to a point where all shadow detail was visible meant that absolute black glowed a little. I’m sure the next generation fixed this issue though as I remember it being mentioned in reviews at the time. For what it’s worth the Dolby vision bug was something that only occurred in certain scenes in a film. That is, most of the film would display absolute black fine however occasionally a scene would be present where blacks were elevated and this extended to the letterbox bars also being elevated for those scenes only.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Andrew Stirling is offline  
post #1245 of 1258 Old 05-18-2019, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
It was weird. Both my first E6, and it's replacement had elevated blacks using gamma 2.2 on SDR and also watching DV even with brightness at 0. Other people also had that issue with the E6, and I think it's more common than people think with that model, but unless you watch movies at night with the lights off, one wouldn't notice it. The odd part it only occurred with gamma 2.2. Not with 2.4 or 1886.

I can only change the gamma with SDR, not with HDR or DV.

Black is when pixels are completely off, and the best way to set brightness is with a totally black screen via the internal youtube app, watching in a totally dark room at night. Raise brightness until the screen glows, and then reduce one click at a time until it goes black. I don't think you are messing up DV on ATV by lowering brightness to 49. Whatever DV codec Apple is using is not the same as what is being used on disc, or even on Vudu.
I just wanted to thank you for your posts last night and I am sorry you had the trouble you have had with your E6. I'm glad you found a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
I have to think lowering brightness to eliminate the glow on HDMI sources has to have some negative impact. If you watch the HDTVtest vid on the previous page, you can see different sources are outputting the exact same disc DV content differently, which appears to be what the Apple TV is doing as well.
It having a negative impact is what I'm afraid of. Can you tell me the time code in Vincent's video where he talks about DV? I couldn't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The poor man's way to set brightness via the internal youtube app is about as good as you can get without a professional calibrator. I use full black screen because there is no other light on the screen to throw your eyes off. You let your eyes adjust to the darkness of the room and black screen, and after your eyes adjust, if your brightness is too high, you will see a glow, even if it is slight. I use that method for SDR. Unfortunately, there is no full black DV screen video on youtube to adjust brightness the same way. You can't use the fade to black screens in the movies, because if the movie is not mastered correctly, it could have a glow, and you would incorrectly set the brightness. Plus for DV it should right around 50. For you it's 49, and for me it's 51 because I adjusted the sun brightness, so i had to raise from 50 to 51. For HDR10, using test patterns, 53 is the correct brightness, but the picture looks washed out when it's that high because the E6 does not do a good job with tone mapping with HDR10. The newer models handle HDR10 much better. That's why I tend to only watch DV HDR movies, because at least with Apple, they have DV versions that are only HDR10 on disc.
It seems all signs are pointing to my only DV issue being panel variance. It looks like I got really lucky with my TV. When I bought it, I had no knowledge of the "Panel lottery" many have to endure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
Yeah that doesn’t sound like the Dolby Vision bug. All panels can have slight differences and may require different settings. Setting brightness correctly is one of the first tasks any calibrator will do and it sounds like you need your panel set at 49. The E6s had a bit of an issue with setting brightness in that the steps between brightness settings were a little too big. This often meant that people had to live with a little black crush as raising brightness to a point where all shadow detail was visible meant that absolute black glowed a little. I’m sure the next generation fixed this issue though as I remember it being mentioned in reviews at the time. For what it’s worth the Dolby vision bug was something that only occurred in certain scenes in a film. That is, most of the film would display absolute black fine however occasionally a scene would be present where blacks were elevated and this extended to the letterbox bars also being elevated for those scenes only.
Gonna try and enjoy my set now that I got the brightness at 49. I am adding rear height speakers this coming week and I can not wait. Where as my fronts are heights, my rear heights are going to be directly above me pointing straight down.
zeonstar is online now  
post #1246 of 1258 Old 05-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Bacon_67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I just wanted to thank you for your posts last night and I am sorry you had the trouble you have had with your E6. I'm glad you found a solution.



It having a negative impact is what I'm afraid of. Can you tell me the time code in Vincent's video where he talks about DV? I couldn't find it.



It seems all signs are pointing to my only DV issue being panel variance. It looks like I got really lucky with my TV. When I bought it, I had no knowledge of the "Panel lottery" many have to endure.



Gonna try and enjoy my set now that I got the brightness at 49. I am adding rear height speakers this coming week and I can not wait. Where as my fronts are heights, my rear heights are going to be directly above me pointing straight down.
Starts at 11:45.
Bacon_67 is offline  
post #1247 of 1258 Old 05-19-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,665
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Finally, I did not know the Spears and Muncil disc was so soon! I had not heard much news about it. Generally speaking, is it going to let us adjust our TV's by eye? I know that's not really how it's meant to be done with these 4K TVs, and you really need calibration equipment, but if that is not an option...I've been hoping the S&M disc will do. Better than nothing at least.
Brightness , Contrast and Sharpness all have to be set by eye. There is no calibration equipment for dialing in these settings. Calibration equipment is for setting the greyscale, CMS and gamma.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #1248 of 1258 Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Brightness , Contrast and Sharpness all have to be set by eye. There is no calibration equipment for dialing in these settings. Calibration equipment is for setting the greyscale, CMS and gamma.
I did not know that. Thank you!
zeonstar is online now  
post #1249 of 1258 Old 05-19-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,665
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I did not know that. Thank you!
No problem. I didn't either until I bought a colorimeter and started learning HCFR calibration freeware. I believe you're supposed to set it at the beginning of a calibration and then again at the very end. Both by eye using the pluge patterns supplied by the test pattern generator. You set it for each calibrated picture mode for day/night SDR and then for the single custom one used for HDR/DV.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #1250 of 1258 Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
No problem. I didn't either until I bought a colorimeter and started learning HCFR calibration freeware. I believe you're supposed to set it at the beginning of a calibration and then again at the very end. Both by eye using the pluge patterns supplied by the test pattern generator. You set it for each calibrated picture mode for day/night SDR and then for the single custom one used for HDR/DV.
I actually thought with TVs these days the proper way to do it was ALL with a calibrator and software. This is all above my head! I thought doing any of it by eye was technically a thing of the past these days.
zeonstar is online now  
post #1251 of 1258 Old 05-20-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,665
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I actually thought with TVs these days the proper way to do it was ALL with a calibrator and software. This is all above my head! I thought doing any of it by eye was technically a thing of the past these days.
For greyscale, color management and gamma yes you need testing equipment but the calibration isn't effected by the Brightness, contrast and sharpness settings. Initially pre calibration you use the contrast to help set the nit level to 100 in a dark room or 150 in a bright room but that's about it and its done by the users eye's on the contrast pluge patterns. Afterwards you use the colorimeter and pattern generator to give you an idea of how far off the white balance (greyscale) is and you use the TV's built in 2 point white balance (RGB) controls to dial that in then retest using the colorimeter and then do the 10 point to dial it in even more along with the gamma then retest with the colorimeter. Finally you eyeball the brightness, contrast and sharpness settings for the final time then retest with the colorimeter and you're done. With only a test disc from Spears and Munsil and no colorimeter or calibration software the only things you can and should adjust are the brightness, contrast and sharpness settings anyways and you do that by eye. Those don't change when you switch over to a colorimeter. HTH.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 05-20-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Madmax67 is online now  
post #1252 of 1258 Old 05-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
For greyscale, color management and gamma yes you need testing equipment but the calibration isn't effected by the Brightness, contrast and sharpness settings. Initially pre calibration you use the contrast to help set the nit level to 100 in a dark room or 150 in a bright room but that's about it and its done by the users eye's on the contrast pluge patterns. Afterwards you use the colorimeter and pattern generator to give you an idea of how far off the white balance (greyscale) is and you use the TV's built in 2 point white balance (RGB) controls to dial that in then retest using the colorimeter and then do the 10 point to dial it in even more along with the gamma then retest with the colorimeter. Finally you eyeball the brightness, contrast and sharpness settings for the final time then retest with the colorimeter and you're done. With only a test disc from Spears and Munsil and no colorimeter or calibration software the only things you can and should adjust are the brightness, contrast and sharpness settings anyways and you do that by eye. Those don't change when you switch over to a colorimeter. HTH.
How does one do the 2 point white balance with the TV's built in method?

Thanks for all the details on this. If someone has a TV Pro calibrated, do they do it ALL for you? Even the "by eye" stuff?
zeonstar is online now  
post #1253 of 1258 Old 05-20-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 4,665
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
How does one do the 2 point white balance with the TV's built in method?
I used HCFR free calibration software and an i1 Display Pro 3 colorimeter with an Amazon camera tripod to hold the meter close to the TV. There's other free and pay software like Calman but HCFR has a support thread here on AVS and is free to use so I went that route. Big learning curve though but there's a good tutorial linked in the user thread to get started.

Quote:
Thanks for all the details on this. If someone has a TV Pro calibrated, do they do it ALL for you? Even the "by eye" stuff?
You're welcome. Yes, if you have an ISF level 3 tech do the calibration they do SDR day and night mode along with HDR and Dolby Vision. They should sit down beside you at the end to do the eyeball stuff as well. Magnolia Design stores have level 3 ISF calinrators I believe. Best Buy alone just has level 1 or 2. Level 3 is for HDR.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #1254 of 1258 Old 05-20-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,280
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
How does one do the 2 point white balance with the TV's built in method?

Thanks for all the details on this. If someone has a TV Pro calibrated, do they do it ALL for you? Even the "by eye" stuff?
You will need calibration equipment to do 2 point and 20 point. A pro will do all of that for you, even setting contrast, brightness and sharpness. However. if they do it during the day, the brightness will likely end up set to high for night viewing. You will end up adjusting the brightness as I posted in a previous post. IMO, brightness is the most critical setting to get right on OLED. If it's too high, the picture ends up being washed out.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #1255 of 1258 Old 05-20-2019, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
I used HCFR free calibration software and an i1 Display Pro 3 colorimeter with an Amazon camera tripod to hold the meter close to the TV. There's other free and pay software like Calman but HCFR has a support thread here on AVS and is free to use so I went that route. Big learning curve though but there's a good tutorial linked in the user thread to get started.



You're welcome. Yes, if you have an ISF level 3 tech do the calibration they do SDR day and night mode along with HDR and Dolby Vision. They should sit down beside you at the end to do the eyeball stuff as well. Magnolia Design stores have level 3 ISF calinrators I believe. Best Buy alone just has level 1 or 2. Level 3 is for HDR.
Thanks for the info. I am considering getting a pro calibration done. Even posted in the calibrator thread.
zeonstar is online now  
post #1256 of 1258 Old 05-20-2019, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
You will need calibration equipment to do 2 point and 20 point. A pro will do all of that for you, even setting contrast, brightness and sharpness. However. if they do it during the day, the brightness will likely end up set to high for night viewing. You will end up adjusting the brightness as I posted in a previous post. IMO, brightness is the most critical setting to get right on OLED. If it's too high, the picture ends up being washed out.
Even though my Home theater is in our living room, I took steps recently to make it more or less "Light controlled." It's not perfect but I can make the room about 90% dark any time of day or night now. It's actually that fact that is making me consider calibration. So if they need dark, I can make it dark!
wxman likes this.
zeonstar is online now  
post #1257 of 1258 Old 05-23-2019, 03:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Red face hdr and dolby vision

I guess my question is if standard Blu rays and 4k content already look better on my plasma much less my oled than any cinema I have been to in years, why would i care about HDR and dolby vision anyway?
tzh21y is offline  
post #1258 of 1258 Old 05-23-2019, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,064
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7281 Post(s)
Liked: 8052
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzh21y View Post
I guess my question is if standard Blu rays and 4k content already look better on my plasma much less my oled than any cinema I have been to in years, why would i care about HDR and dolby vision anyway?
You have a 4K plasma? Don’t sell it, it’s worth a ton of money.

I guess you’ve never seen HDR on an OLED.
Ph8te, smurraybhm and golferdad50 like this.

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
Ken Ross is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off