Status of Dolby Vision raised blacks issue on OLEDS - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 360Likes

Old 09-23-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmiel2k View Post
Yeah, same here. C8 and ATV 4K. Raised blacks on DV from iTunes, even black horizontal bars are not fully dimmed. Both devices running latest firmwares. Not cable related issue.

Any thoughts?
Setting the brightness to 49 fixed it. I have tried a full black youtube video on DV and it was raised on 50 but full black on 49, so it seems it's just the default brightness is not the correct value when using Apple TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3Dman View Post
Setting the brightness to 49 fixed it. I have tried a full black youtube video on DV and it was raised on 50 but full black on 49, so it seems it's just the default brightness is not the correct value when using Apple TV.
Tried it and I'm pretty sure I'm loosing details in near blacks.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Tried it and I'm pretty sure I'm loosing details in near blacks.
Do you have any DV content on Netflix where you notice this so that I can try it on ATV and the stock NF app?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Do you have any DV content on Netflix where you notice this so that I can try it on ATV and the stock NF app?
If you're asking of detail loss after decreasing brightness, it's a general impression, tested it briefly. Will do a proper testing later this week though.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
If you're asking of detail loss after decreasing brightness, it's a general impression, tested it briefly. Will do a proper testing later this week though.

You will lose detail when dropping brightness ... similarly increasing brightness will reveal extra detail. What’s impossible to tell without either test or reference images is whether or not that detail is supposed to be visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gymnos and chmiel2k like this.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
You will lose detail when dropping brightness ... similarly increasing brightness will reveal extra detail. What’s impossible to tell without either test or reference images is whether or not that detail is supposed to be visible.

I don't think I'm losing much detail when dropping it to 49. on stuff that I'm sure is pitch black like credit scenes for example, the screen is not fully black, it feels like there's a dim backlight which is very disturbing in a dark room. Dropping the brightness to 49 just makes it right.
Sadly, I did not find any test patterns or reference images for DV on the ATV. I would really think that would be great to make sure that brightness is correct.
macmane likes this.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't think I'm losing much detail when dropping it to 49. on stuff that I'm sure is pitch black like credit scenes for example, the screen is not fully black, it feels like there's a dim backlight which is very disturbing in a dark room. Dropping the brightness to 49 just makes it right.

Sadly, I did not find any test patterns or reference images for DV on the ATV. I would really think that would be great to make sure that brightness is correct.

Yeah agreed. The best you can do is to compare against the same image from a different source. My main point however was that ‘losing detail’ isn’t always a reliable test because you can’t be certain you should be seeing that detail to begin with.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah agreed. The best you can do is to compare against the same image from a different source. My main point however was that ‘losing detail’ isn’t always a reliable test because you can’t be certain you should be seeing that detail to begin with.

Agreed, I'll do some more tests between Netflix content between ATV and build in app. I just can't understand why LG didn't sort this out yet.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I assume everyone here does streaming only?
I see that behavior on UHD blu-rays but it only stays gray for like a second or two before it goes normal again. It only happens when the disc is loading content.

Quote:
I have the same issue on Apple TV 4K and LG E9 while playing movies from iTunes. When starting the movie and while it's loading the whole black background elevates and stays like that.
Is this a problem with the Apple TV or LG firmware?
Old 10-03-2019, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5490 Post(s)
Liked: 3895
I did a little testing tonight on my E6 with my OPPO 203 set to forced DV. I then inserted the AVSHD test pattern disc into the 203. This will force all the patterns to be displayed in DV HDR. Much to my surprise, setting the brightness based on the brightness pluge pattern, a setting of 49 was correct with flashing bar 17 very faint. Then I went to the 0% full screen black slide, and confirmed 49 was correct. Raising to 50 produced a glow. A 0% black slide should look black whether it's a rec709 slide converted to DV or an actual 0% DV slide. Black is black. If you have an OPPO 203, or another player that can force DV on everything, and you put the AVSHD patterns on disc, give it a try and see if you have the same issue. Make sure the room is dark and at night. This also seems to have fixed the elevated DV blacks with the ATV4K and the elevated blacks with DV on the internal VUDU app.
J__Chris, macmane, gymnos and 2 others like this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
Old 10-03-2019, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I did a little testing tonight on my E6 with my OPPO 203 set to forced DV. I then inserted the AVSHD test pattern disc into the 203. This will force all the patterns to be displayed in DV HDR. Much to my surprise, setting the brightness based on the brightness pluge pattern, a setting of 49 was correct with flashing bar 17 very faint. Then I went to the 0% full screen black slide, and confirmed 49 was correct. Raising to 50 produced a glow. A 0% black slide should look black whether it's a rec709 slide converted to DV or an actual 0% DV slide. Black is black. If you have an OPPO 203, or another player that can force DV on everything, and you put the AVSHD patterns on disc, give it a try and see if you have the same issue. Make sure the room is dark and at night. This also seems to have fixed the elevated DV blacks with the ATV4K and the elevated blacks with DV on the internal VUDU app.
Hi where can I get the AVSHD disc?

I must admit I have never seen this glow or grey in the bars since owning my B6, but have seen some glow in the picture before on a complete black screen.

I have an oppo203 as well, so would test this.
SinGA likes this.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Hi where can I get the AVSHD disc?

I must admit I have never seen this glow or grey in the bars since owning my B6, but have seen some glow in the picture before on a complete black screen.

I have an oppo203 as well, so would test this.
You can download from the link and burn to dvd or bluray.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...libration.html
gunner842 likes this.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
You can download from the link and burn to dvd or bluray.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...libration.html

Ah yes I actually have them test patterns, but they are on usb drive. I don’t have the means to burn to disc, unsure if the 203 has a usb connection that would allow me to play the files in forced DV mode?
Old 10-03-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
^Give it a shot. It's theoretically possible, just not 100% sure if forced DV mode extends to files on USB devices.
gunner842 likes this.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:31 AM

I will give it a go over the weekend and update if It works with USB, can someone please remind me where to find the 0% black pattern IN AVSHD test files.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
I just tried a usb drive with the AVSHD patterns and it works forcing DV, so will test over weekend.

Can you tell me what folders I need to go into for the brightness pluge pattern and 0% black.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2019, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
This also seems to have fixed the elevated DV blacks with the ATV4K and the elevated blacks with DV on the internal VUDU app.

I think there is still a problem with iTunes movies, probably in the mastering, since movies like Blade Runner still have grey slides in the opening credits, which are black with the Vudu app.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just tried a usb drive with the AVSHD patterns and it works forcing DV, so will test over weekend.

Can you tell me what folders I need to go into for the brightness pluge pattern and 0% black.

Thanks

Pluge patterns are in the Basic settings chapter, and the 0% slide is in ColorHCFR patterns under near black.
gunner842 likes this.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
I think there is still a problem with iTunes movies, probably in the mastering, since movies like Blade Runner still have grey slides in the opening credits, which are black with the Vudu app.

The blade runner 4k iTunes stream is essentially broken and has raised blacks throughout. It’s most noticeable in the opening credits but affects the whole film.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I still have slightly raised blacks on the ATV (checked the end credits on many movies) with iTunes DV and netflix streams. For me it is also fixed by lowering brightness to 49 but it seems odd that this is not necessary using the internal netflix app.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhouse_ View Post
I still have slightly raised blacks on the ATV (checked the end credits on many movies) with iTunes DV and netflix streams. For me it is also fixed by lowering brightness to 49 but it seems odd that this is not necessary using the internal netflix app.
Hopefully Apple will be releasing a new ATV4K later this month with a better chip that will process DV properly.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Pluge patterns are in the Basic settings chapter, and the 0% slide is in ColorHCFR patterns under near black.
Did the test but at 49 I lose bars 18 and 19, with brightness at 50 all bars 17-25 flash with 17 very faint.

I get glow on both 49 and 50, but I guess the test is void for me as I have a B6 and that suffers from the separate black glow that effects only the B6.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did the test but at 49 I lose bars 18 and 19, with brightness at 50 all bars 17-25 flash with 17 very faint.

I get glow on both 49 and 50, but I guess the test is void for me as I have a B6 and that suffers from the separate black glow that effects only the B6.
Have you gone in the Service Menu and lowered the sub brightness until the glow went away? On my E6 I always had a glow when using gamma 2.2 even when the brightness was set at 0. I lowered sub brightness in the SM from 128 to 127 and that fixed it.
gymnos and Cam1977 like this.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Have you gone in the Service Menu and lowered the sub brightness until the glow went away? On my E6 I always had a glow when using gamma 2.2 even when the brightness was set at 0. I lowered sub brightness in the SM from 128 to 127 and that fixed it.
Not been into the service menu, to be honest the glow doesn't really effect me, I don't really notice it in general viewing unless there is a complete black screen in a pitch dark room for number of seconds.

I also sometimes use ambient lighting so that helps as well.

I just thought I would try the test to help confirm your findings.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2139 Post(s)
Liked: 2330
Quote:
Hopefully Apple will be releasing a new ATV4K later this month with a better chip that will process DV properly.
Is there supposed to be a new release? I just bought 2 this past week but will return them if there is a new version.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Is there supposed to be a new release? I just bought 2 this past week but will return them if there is a new version.
No one knows for sure, but Apple has another event this month, and always announces upgrades to some of their current devices.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2139 Post(s)
Liked: 2330
Quote:
No one knows for sure, but Apple has another event this month, and always announces upgrades to some of their current devices.
Thanks. I have until 11/13 to return these. I would think we would know by then.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 AM

So now that the Apple TV app is out on Roku, I checked out Blade Runner since it will be forced to play back in HDR10 instead of DV, and it has the raised blacks during the credits just like the DV version on Apple TV, confirming it's a bad encode of the film on Apple's end.

So that throws another variable into the situation. Now we have to worry about if the TVs aren't displaying correctly or if something went bad during the mastering/encode of the movie for each digital service.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Status of Dolby Vision raised blacks issue on OLEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
So now that the Apple TV app is out on Roku, I checked out Blade Runner since it will be forced to play back in HDR10 instead of DV, and it has the raised blacks during the credits just like the DV version on Apple TV, confirming it's a bad encode of the film on Apple's end.

So that throws another variable into the situation. Now we have to worry about if the TVs aren't displaying correctly or if something went bad during the mastering/encode of the movie for each digital service.

I think blade runner is an edge case example. It’s been widely recognised as a faulty stream since release and many people raised it with Apple. Also, for what it’s worth, you could have forced it to stream in hdr on the Apple TV by setting your menu to 24hz hdr and turning off match dynamic range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-18-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I think blade runner is an edge case example. It’s been widely recognised as a faulty stream since release and many people raised it with Apple. Also, for what it’s worth, you could have forced it to stream in hdr on the Apple TV by setting your menu to 24hz hdr and turning off match dynamic range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Doesn’t Apple TV do a DV to HDR10 conversion instead of displaying native HDR10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement