• 1 Post By swlee539
  • 1 Post By Al Leong

post #1 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Swap A1E for C7?

I am able to get a refund for both of my A1E's. They have dead pixels whenever you watch youtube, and unfortunately they're where the font is presented. So I have the ability to get a refund. I was going to get 2 C7's, one 65" living room and one 55" for bedroom, and then save the money for a Surface Book 2 for school.

Seeing that they're virtually, if not identical besides lower input lag, would this be an ok choice?

I would buy through amazon because of their exchange policy, they're generally understanding if issues arise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4738
The C7 is a superior TV to the A1E. Unless you value the crystal sound of Sony very highly, that exchange is a no-brainer...
post #3 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
The C7 is a superior TV to the A1E. Unless you value the crystal sound of Sony very highly, that exchange is a no-brainer...
I have a Soundbar for one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 4738
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyTV101 View Post
I have a Soundbar for one
The built-in sound on the C7 is above average for a flat-screen TV (but possibly not as good as Sony's Crystal Sound and certainly not as sexy ).

If you have a soundabar, consider saving even more and getting a B7A: $1650 for 55" and $2650 for 65".
post #5 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
I am able to get a refund for both of my A1E's. They have dead pixels whenever you watch youtube, and unfortunately they're where the font is presented. So I have the ability to get a refund. I was going to get 2 C7's, one 65" living room and one 55" for bedroom, and then save the money for a Surface Book 2 for school.

Seeing that they're virtually, if not identical besides lower input lag, would this be an ok choice?

I would buy through amazon because of their exchange policy, they're generally understanding if issues arise.

Not if you want terrible customer support and the run around. Lg just screws me today on my E6. I bought the LG extended warranty and they won't warranty a nick in the center of my screen. Looks like sometime internally happened and cause the glass to break and bubble. LG is trying to call it cosmetic which it is not. if Sony is taking care of you i suggest getting two more Sony's.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Not if you want terrible customer support and the run around. Lg just screws me today on my E6. I bought the LG extended warranty and they won't warranty a nick in the center of my screen. Looks like sometime internally happened and cause the glass to break and bubble. LG is trying to call it cosmetic which it is not. if Sony is taking care of you i suggest getting two more Sony's.
Sony won’t exchange anymore TV’s.

B7 was rated almost as good as c7
post #7 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sony won’t exchange anymore TV’s.

B7 was rated almost as good as c7
Wow that really stinks that Sony will not help you out, I am really sorry to hear that. I would buy from Bestbuy they are good about helping people out with exchanges. Get the Bestbuy credit card and you get 10% back on your first order in Bestbuy points and that would definitely help for a surface 2 or Laptop for school. I just wish panasonic would start selling their OLEDS in the US, then all of pour problems would gone.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
As of today, I'd have to agree.
fafrd likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow that really stinks that Sony will not help you out, I am really sorry to hear that. I would buy from Bestbuy they are good about helping people out with exchanges. Get the Bestbuy credit card and you get 10% back on your first order in Bestbuy points and that would definitely help for a surface 2 or Laptop for school. I just wish panasonic would start selling their OLEDS in the US, then all of pour problems would gone.
Sony did great, but they do things in three. Once you have a problem third time is either a no, or refund.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sony did great, but they do things in three. Once you have a problem third time is either a no, or refund.
Wow that is impeccable service, LG will not do anything for me and I have had ZERO exchanges and one service call in which they denied a claim. They will nor even come out and look at my tv. I have been trying to get an appointment for the last past three days. i had an appointment bu tit got screwed up in the system and the guy had to reenter it three times because he kept erasing his screen. Finally today i got some help but them Iu was told that warranty does not cover my problem and she hung up on me. i called back and got the run around again spoke with a manger a second time and she agreed to look at some pictures just get off her back. I called 6 times today and spoke with 2 mangers. Still no appointment.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow that is impeccable service, LG will not do anything for me and I have had ZERO exchanges and one service call in which they denied a claim. They will nor even come out and look at my tv. I have been trying to get an appointment for the last past three days. i had an appointment bu tit got screwed up in the system and the guy had to reenter it three times because he kept erasing his screen. Finally today i got some help but them Iu was told that warranty does not cover my problem and she hung up on me. i called back and got the run around again spoke with a manger a second time and she agreed to look at some pictures just get off her back. I called 6 times today and spoke with 2 mangers. Still no appointment.
I mean I wasn’t so polite and I would send anywhere from 30-100 emails a night to get some resolution because they said nothing was wrong with them... that’s why I’m thinking of buying from Amazon because they have the best return policy and maybe buy one of the square trades.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
I just wish panasonic would start selling their OLEDS in the US, then all of pour problems would gone.
Sorry, that's just wishful thinking.
post #13 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Hey Al, slightly off topic, but now that you like the motion processing of the LG, what TruMotion Settings are you using to achieve it?
post #14 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Sorry, that's just wishful thinking.
I know it is! I just think Panasonic entering the market would put both Sony and LG on notice because a lot people would jump ship. Sony and LG would definitely have to step up their game and would not get away with what they do today. If I still lived in Upstate NY only one hour from the montreal border you know I would be taking a road trip.
post #15 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
I had a Kuro made by the venerable Pioneer with an ugly stuck pixel in the middle of the screen. Pioneer wouldn't lift a finger to address it. I've seen at least one occasion where LG replaced a panel for someone here with a similar problem in either 2016 or 2017. It's all relative, and Panasonic can go get punked for all I care, bragging about their Hollywood connections but ignoring the territory that made it possible in the first place.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash28 View Post
Hey Al, slightly off topic, but now that you like the motion processing of the LG, what TruMotion Settings are you using to achieve it?
Custom: DB and DJ both on 2
Flash28 likes this.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 09:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I mean I wasn’t so polite and I would send anywhere from 30-100 emails a night to get some resolution because they said nothing was wrong with them... that’s why I’m thinking of buying from Amazon because they have the best return policy and maybe buy one of the square trades.
If you're considering the B7, you might look at Costco; they've got both the 65B7P and 55B7P. They've got a 90-day return policy, and add a year to the mfr warranty. If you use their Citi Visa card, you get another 2 years. And, they throw in a 3-yr SquareTrade warranty.
locomo likes this.
post #18 of 24 Old 01-11-2018, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
Soon or later we will go through the same hoops with a TV manufacture. Not a single manufacture have 0 complaint.

Go for the C7 ,It have HDR10 ,Dolby vision, HLG , Technicolor, Better tone mapping.

Last edited by losservatore; 01-11-2018 at 10:21 PM.
post #19 of 24 Old 01-12-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
I was originally going to return my c7 for an A1e but some experts including you suggest otherwise. I was annoyed with the dim hdr game mode but now I’m getting used to it. You recommend the technicolor mode I noticed. I do like the mode but I’m getting heavy posterization in dark scenes in mediocre sources such as Verizon Fios. Only way to diminish posterization is to set it to hdr effect mode. What do you suggest for fios or cable viewing? Do you still recommend the c7 over the Sony in that department?

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X
post #20 of 24 Old 01-12-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I was originally going to return my c7 for an A1e but some experts including you suggest otherwise. I was annoyed with the dim hdr game mode but now I’m getting used to it. You recommend the technicolor mode I noticed. I do like the mode but I’m getting heavy posterization in dark scenes in mediocre sources such as Verizon Fios. Only way to diminish posterization is to set it to hdr effect mode. What do you suggest for fios or cable viewing? Do you still recommend the c7 over the Sony in that department?
Check your FIOS cable settings page, and verify your Video settings are for 1080p, Default (2) sharpness. I've seen most friends on FIOS boxes are set to 720p.

For gaming, the best results in PQ I've seen is this procedure, have you tried this yet?:

1) Press the Input selection button on your remote, choose "All Inputs".
2) Select the HDMI input to your gaming device.
3) Change the Icon to the "PC" label (as shown in the screen shot attached)

This will place the C7 into low input lag mode similar to Game mode..

4) Select Technicolor Expert picture mode.

Give this a try and see how you like it. This works great for low input lag for both SDR and HDR games with the Technicolor Expert picture mode tuning.

For black levels, try adjusting "Brightness" up to 60 (but not past 60).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3730.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	773.8 KB
ID:	2344554  
sd13 likes this.
post #21 of 24 Old 01-12-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Check your FIOS cable settings page, and verify your Video settings are for 1080p, Default (2) sharpness. I've seen most friends on FIOS boxes are set to 720p.

For gaming, the best results in PQ I've seen is this procedure, have you tried this yet?:

1) Press the Input selection button on your remote, choose "All Inputs".
2) Select the HDMI input to your gaming device.
3) Change the Icon to the "PC" label (as shown in the screen shot attached)

This will place the C7 into low input lag mode similar to Game mode..

4) Select Technicolor Expert picture mode.

Give this a try and see how you like it. This works great for low input lag for both SDR and HDR games with the Technicolor Expert picture mode tuning.

For black levels, try adjusting "Brightness" up to 60 (but not past 60).
I tried PC mode and although there is very minimal lag in all modes, the colors are very very washed out. I think PC mode screws with the color gamut (at least on ps4 and xbox one x...maybe PC gaming doesn't have this issue, not sure). Fios is in default sharpness and 1080p but dark scenes in shows like game of thrones have bad posterization. Everything else seems to be running fine though.

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X
post #22 of 24 Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I game a lot. I have yet to be annoyed with any of the HDR games being too dim. What games specifically? Do they have HDR adjustments in game?

Having said all that, search for @P40L0 game settings - I am very pleased with the PQ. I would not use the PC input label, something is wrong with the mapping in it. You will get the same low input lag using a non-PC input label along with Game picture mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I was originally going to return my c7 for an A1e but some experts including you suggest otherwise. I was annoyed with the dim hdr game mode but now I’m getting used to it.
post #23 of 24 Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurpers26 View Post
I game a lot. I have yet to be annoyed with any of the HDR games being too dim. What games specifically? Do they have HDR adjustments in game?

Having said all that, search for @P40L0 game settings - I am very pleased with the PQ. I would not use the PC input label, something is wrong with the mapping in it. You will get the same low input lag using a non-PC input label along with Game picture mode.
The games that I noticed being overly dim so far are ratchet and clank which has no brightness settings and fifa 18. Fifa has an issue during night games when ABL kicks in. HDR standard looks so much better but unfortunately there is lag in that mode.

post #24 of 24 Old 01-13-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee539 View Post
If you're considering the B7, you might look at Costco; they've got both the 65B7P and 55B7P. They've got a 90-day return policy, and add a year to the mfr warranty. If you use their Citi Visa card, you get another 2 years. And, they throw in a 3-yr SquareTrade warranty.
Plus you can price match another $500 off with the Costco Citi Visa Personal (not business) card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page