5Likes

post #61 of 83 Old 01-05-2019, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG 65SK8000 and Denon AVR-X1500H

Hello
Got the Denon AVR-X1500H taking all my videsources. My screen is the LGSK658000.

The Tv supports dolby vision and atmos can I somehow get that signal from the TV down to the receiver via the HDMI cable?(netflix material) Because my Nvidia shield doesn't support dolbyvision. Seems unnecessary to buy an Apple TV 4k to just do that one thing.

The TV and receiver is hooked up via arc. I have no trouble getting signals from sources ---> receiver ---> videosignal to TV and one remote to control everything.
But I cant really get the sound from the TV down to the receiver with the same hdmi cable. What settings should that be on? Do I need another HDMI from TV to input on receiver? Was in contact with LG support, they said it should work, but wasn't very interested to investigate more since the receiver was a Denon product and not LG product.

Regards thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 01-05-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsican83 View Post
Hello
Got the Denon AVR-X1500H taking all my videsources. My screen is the LGSK658000.

The Tv supports dolby vision and atmos can I somehow get that signal from the TV down to the receiver via the HDMI cable?(netflix material) Because my Nvidia shield doesn't support dolbyvision. Seems unnecessary to buy an Apple TV 4k to just do that one thing.

The TV and receiver is hooked up via arc. I have no trouble getting signals from sources ---> receiver ---> videosignal to TV and one remote to control everything.
But I cant really get the sound from the TV down to the receiver with the same hdmi cable. What settings should that be on? Do I need another HDMI from TV to input on receiver? Was in contact with LG support, they said it should work, but wasn't very interested to investigate more since the receiver was a Denon product and not LG product.
I did a quick web search and could not find any indication that the SK8000 will pass Atmos over ARC. So internal LG apps that playback Atmos would not be able to send that audio stream to the AVR. The OLED TV have that feature but likely not your model.
post #63 of 83 Old 01-05-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
I did a quick web search and could not find any indication that the SK8000 will pass Atmos over ARC. So internal LG apps that playback Atmos would not be able to send that audio stream to the AVR. The OLED TV have that feature but likely not your model.
Ok, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 83 Old 01-20-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Turns out. the tv had this option and is now working. Netflix with dolby vision and Atmos is working with the LG app. So if anybody els has this problem just set Tv audio to Arc on the tv options. And press TV on receiver remote. (in my case Denon AVR-X1500H)
And it will connect. Even when there is no HDMI connected to the "HDMI Tv out" on receiver. It will send this through the HDMI arc cable.
post #65 of 83 Old 01-20-2019, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Soundbar reco w/ B7?

Can anyone recommend a good Atmos soundbar to use with a 2017 B7? I currently have the LG SK9Y but experience horrible audio lag using ARC, and have had to switch to another connection without Atmos. I'd like to return it and get a new soundbar but I'm worried this is an LG issue not a soundbar issue.
thanks
post #66 of 83 Old 02-25-2019, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmith333 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good Atmos soundbar to use with a 2017 B7? I currently have the LG SK9Y but experience horrible audio lag using ARC, and have had to switch to another connection without Atmos. I'd like to return it and get a new soundbar but I'm worried this is an LG issue not a soundbar issue.
thanks

I also have the LG B7. I picked up the Samsung HW-N950 a few weeks ago, and it is working well for me. I currently have everything plugged into the TV with the N950 connected to the ARC port. Although, I am thinking about switching my two Blu-ray players to the two HDMI inputs on the N950 for the lossless audio. Is it noticeable over DD+ sending Atmos over ARC?
post #67 of 83 Old 02-27-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmith333 View Post
thanks
Given the number of complaints in the B7/C7 thread about audio lag when using an external sound system, which tends to go away if switched to output only stereo PCM (which of course isn't what you want), it seems this is very much an LG problem unfortunately. It seems as if they didn't correctly take processing time for multichannel audio into account.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #68 of 83 Old 02-27-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
I also have the LG B7. I picked up the Samsung HW-N950 a few weeks ago, and it is working well for me. I currently have everything plugged into the TV with the N950 connected to the ARC port. Although, I am thinking about switching my two Blu-ray players to the two HDMI inputs on the N950 for the lossless audio. Is it noticeable over DD+ sending Atmos over ARC?
Some people certainly think so. I haven't tried comparing, since I have always run everything through the AVR, not the TV. I only use ARC for apps.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #69 of 83 Old 02-27-2019, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Some people certainly think so. I haven't tried comparing, since I have always run everything through the AVR, not the TV. I only use ARC for apps.

Thanks. I may have to run some more of my own comparisons. I had my players hooked up directly to the sound bar at one point, but I didn't notice an immediate difference. I switched back to ARC because it's just easier to manage switching inputs on the TV rather than the sound bar remote.
post #70 of 83 Old 02-27-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I have created a petition to get LG to add eARC support for their premium OLEDs. If you want this to be added, sign here: https://www.change.org/p/lg-electron...emium-oled-tvs
post #71 of 83 Old 03-01-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esumsea View Post
I have created a petition to get LG to add eARC support for their premium OLEDs. If you want this to be added, sign here: https://www.change.org/p/lg-electron...emium-oled-tvs
You are assuming the hardware was designed with that possibility in mind. I doubt it was. Denon and Marantz specifically did design their hardware with the upgrade in mind so the required connections were in there and once they were sure it was right the firmware was updated to enable it. Sony designed the X1 Ultimate to support it (the X1 Extreme did not).

Len Sorensen

post #72 of 83 Old 03-01-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3169 Post(s)
Liked: 2204
Quote:
You are assuming the hardware was designed with that possibility in mind. I doubt it was. Denon and Marantz specifically did design their hardware with the upgrade in mind so the required connections were in there and once they were sure it was right the firmware was updated to enable it. Sony designed the X1 Ultimate to support it (the X1 Extreme did not).

Yamaha has also designed their HDMI 2.0b chipsets to be able to be upgraded to eARC on some of their Aventage receivers line. I would be surprised if LG didn't do the same with their C8's. Time will tell I guess.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #73 of 83 Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Yamaha has also designed their HDMI 2.0b chipsets to be able to be upgraded to eARC on some of their Aventage receivers line. I would be surprised if LG didn't do the same with their C8's. Time will tell I guess.
There is a very simple explanation for why the AVRs were designed to be upgraded and TVs were not.

The AVR already supports TrueHD and DTS-MA signals from the HDMI inputs and knows how to decode them. Adding support for accepting those signals from eARC's pins for it and routing them to the existing decoder hardware is a trivial thing to add. If it turned out they somehow got it wrong the extra cost is essentially nothing.

The TV has no reason to support transmitting the eARC high speed audio signal. Supporting that would involve adding a new high speed transmitter that wasn't needed before and hoping you got the design right. The circuitry for passing audio from an HDMI input to ARC would have to be made much faster than it previously was designed to be.

So in the AVR case, essentially no new hardware is required, just reusing existing stuff. In the TV case a lot of new hardware is required in the HDMI handling circuitry.

So far only AVRs have been upgradable to eARC. Nothing else I have ever seen could be upgraded to support eARC. Of course AVRs, soundbars and TVs are the only devices that have a reason to support eARC.

Len Sorensen

post #74 of 83 Old 03-01-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
There is a very simple explanation for why the AVRs were designed to be upgraded and TVs were not.

The AVR already supports TrueHD and DTS-MA signals from the HDMI inputs and knows how to decode them. Adding support for accepting those signals from eARC's pins for it and routing them to the existing decoder hardware is a trivial thing to add. If it turned out they somehow got it wrong the extra cost is essentially nothing.

The TV has no reason to support transmitting the eARC high speed audio signal. Supporting that would involve adding a new high speed transmitter that wasn't needed before and hoping you got the design right. The circuitry for passing audio from an HDMI input to ARC would have to be made much faster than it previously was designed to be.

So in the AVR case, essentially no new hardware is required, just reusing existing stuff. In the TV case a lot of new hardware is required in the HDMI handling circuitry.

So far only AVRs have been upgradable to eARC. Nothing else I have ever seen could be upgraded to support eARC. Of course AVRs, soundbars and TVs are the only devices that have a reason to support eARC.
Interesting. So all the folks who are popping woodies about upgrading their receivers to eARC are going to be disappointed because their tv's can't be upgraded unless they already have the HDMI 2.1 hardware? In which case the HDMI connection will only be able to use the in-common hardware options, which would be HDMI 2.0b, so no eARC?

post #75 of 83 Old 03-01-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. So all the folks who are popping woodies about upgrading their receivers to eARC are going to be disappointed because their tv's can't be upgraded unless they already have the HDMI 2.1 hardware? In which case the HDMI connection will only be able to use the in-common hardware options, which would be HDMI 2.0b, so no eARC?
Well many people upgrade the TV more often than the AVR, so at least it means if someone moves to an 8K TV with HDMI 2.1 and their AVR can't do that (none currently can), at least with eARC they would be able to connect any 8k HDMI device to the TV direct and get full sound quality without needing to get a new AVR and without needing dual outputs on the player or an HDfury, etc. So it is a nice feature to have.

Len Sorensen

post #76 of 83 Old 03-01-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Well many people upgrade the TV more often than the AVR, so at least it means if someone moves to an 8K TV with HDMI 2.1 and their AVR can't do that (none currently can), at least with eARC they would be able to connect any 8k HDMI device to the TV direct and get full sound quality without needing to get a new AVR and without needing dual outputs on the player or an HDfury, etc. So it is a nice feature to have.
That's assuming that 8k is going to be a big deal to the majority of buying public. I don't think so. Not at least for a few more years. LG is the only tv mfr who will have fully compliant HDMI 2.1 hardware this year. At least so far. eARC and VRR works quite nicely on the HDMI 2.0b chipset so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I don't care about ARC, nor have any need for it, but there are lots of folks who do, especially gamers. I find it odd that the Yamaha et al would upgrade their receivers to eARC knowing full well that the consumer can't take advantage of it with the current tv lineup. Doesn't add up.

post #77 of 83 Old 03-01-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's assuming that 8k is going to be a big deal to the majority of buying public. I don't think so. Not at least for a few more years. LG is the only tv mfr who will have fully compliant HDMI 2.1 hardware this year. At least so far. eARC and VRR works quite nicely on the HDMI 2.0b chipset so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I don't care about ARC, nor have any need for it, but there are lots of folks who do, especially gamers. I find it odd that the Yamaha et al would upgrade their receivers to eARC knowing full well that the consumer can't take advantage of it with the current tv lineup. Doesn't add up.
Well it has worked since last summer with a few Sony models, and will work with LG OLEDs this year, and for the AVR makers it wasn't a big deal to add, so why not add it?

I certainly use ARC, but I don't think any of the apps would take any advantage of eARC and I run all my external HDMI devices through my AVR. My AVR does support eARC though should I ever upgrade the TV to one that does.

Len Sorensen

post #78 of 83 Old 03-06-2019, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

I see you have much more knowledge of how things are implemented than I do, but one reason for them to do it is to support their customers. Since your TV has "smart" components to serve as you main streaming interface, it would seem prudent to add the ability to send lossless audio to the receiver. It is not like they were in the dark about it and it is not like HDMI 2.1 was right around the corner. Since the TV offers so many "smart" features, would it not be prudent to future-proof them so you would not be lacking 6 months after you started actually stocking the devices? I hope you are wrong, but you are probably right. Time will tell, but Sony is doing it with their current TVs with HDMI 2.0b, so why couldn't LG?

Last edited by esumsea; 03-06-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #79 of 83 Old 03-06-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I see you have much more knowledge of how things are implemented than I do, but one reason for them to do it is to support their customers. It is not like they were in the dark about it and it is not like HDMI 2.1 was right around the corner. Since the TV offers so many "smart" features, would it not be prudent to future-proof them so you would not be lacking 6 months after you started actually stocking the devices? I hope you are wrong, but you are probably right. Time will tell, but Sony is doing it with their current TVs with HDMI 2.0b, so why couldn't LG?

One, there is no way to "future proof" a tv. Too many changes too fast. Two, Sony is notorious for playing the upgrade game. They did that with HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 by upclocking their HDMI 1.4 chipsets to 10.2Gbps, which was the gray area between 1.4 and 2.0 and called those upgrades "HDMI 2.0", which it technically was but without all of the benefits of HDMI 2.0. What would be nice is if the mfrs actually listed what the upgrades were, or which HDMI hardware protocols were supported and steered away from the HDMI hardware version number. That way consumers would know exactly what the upgrade entailed, or their device supported, by feature set not HDMI hardware number. Hopefully Sony is doing that this time.

post #80 of 83 Old 03-06-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see you have much more knowledge of how things are implemented than I do, but one reason for them to do it is to support their customers. Since your TV has "smart" components to serve as you main streaming interface, it would seem prudent to add the ability to send lossless audio to the receiver. It is not like they were in the dark about it and it is not like HDMI 2.1 was right around the corner. Since the TV offers so many "smart" features, would it not be prudent to future-proof them so you would not be lacking 6 months after you started actually stocking the devices? I hope you are wrong, but you are probably right. Time will tell, but Sony is doing it with their current TVs with HDMI 2.0b, so why couldn't LG?
Sony added eARC to the X1 Ultimate displays that came out late summer last year. No one that released in spring last year had eARC. So LG is only about 6 months later than Sony, and they are doing full HDMI 2.1 (much to the surprise of many people). It just comes down to when the chip design schedule fits and what they aimed to include. Sony decided to implement support for eARC in their latest chip, but not try for full HDMI 2.1 it seems (although how the 8K Sony is doing it I don't know, perhaps they did actually design X1 Ultimate for full HDMI 2.1 but not enable it because they were still testing or it needs some extra external circuitry to do it, or they have made a second gen variant for the 8K like LG has made a gen 2 of the α9 for this year.).

Len Sorensen

post #81 of 83 Old 03-06-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One, there is no way to "future proof" a tv. Too many changes too fast. Two, Sony is notorious for playing the upgrade game. They did that with HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 by upclocking their HDMI 1.4 chipsets to 10.2Gbps, which was the gray area between 1.4 and 2.0 and called those upgrades "HDMI 2.0", which it technically was but without all of the benefits of HDMI 2.0. What would be nice is if the mfrs actually listed what the upgrades were, or which HDMI hardware protocols were supported and steered away from the HDMI hardware version number. That way consumers would know exactly what the upgrade entailed, or their device supported, by feature set not HDMI hardware number. Hopefully Sony is doing that this time.
Did you mean 18Gbps? After all HDMI 1.4 was 10.2Gbps, while 2.0 is 18Gbps.

Len Sorensen

post #82 of 83 Old 03-06-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Did you mean 18Gbps? After all HDMI 1.4 was 10.2Gbps, while 2.0 is 18Gbps.
There is a gray area between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 where 8.91Gbps bandwidth is shared between both. Once you push 10.2Gbps and above you are in HDMI 2.0 exclusively. Some of the early Sony devices were marketed as HDMI 1.4. Why Sony didn't just state they were HDMI 2.0 is a mystery. Sony then pushed an update to increase the clock speed to 10.2Gbps which technically made it HDMI 2.0 exclusively. The point was that Sony was less than transparent on what they consumer was getting with "HDMI 2.0" at that point in time.

post #83 of 83 Old 03-06-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
There is a gray area between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 where 8.91Gbps bandwidth is shared between both. Once you push 10.2Gbps and above you are in HDMI 2.0 exclusively.
HDMI 1.4 can do 10.2Gbps on the link. Starting with HDMI 1.3 we've had a 340Mhz TDMS clock so 340Mhz * 10 bits/clock * 3 channels = 10,200Mbps or 10.2Gbps. However, 8.91Gbps is the largest bandwidth of the standard resolutions defined in the HDMI 1.4 specification.

I'm not sure, because I haven't bothered to do the calculations, but there might be a resolution with the VESA timings that falls between 8.91Gbps and 10.2Gbps that a computer with HDMI 1.4 can output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page