ASUS ProArt PQ22UC 21.6″ Portable UHD 4K HDR OLED Monitor - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1 of 52 Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
ASUS ProArt PQ22UC 21.6″ Portable UHD 4K HDR OLED Monitor

The ASUS ProArt PQ22UC is an interesting OLED monitor because it is portable and can receive both power and a video signal via USB-C. It's HDR10 compatible and offers UHD resolution plus 99% DCI/P3 gamut coverage.

Seeing it for the first time, I quickly envisioned how nice it would be to experience "personal home theater" by watching this monitor while listening to virtual surround-sound through headphones. With the advent of devices like the ProArt PQ22UC, it's a brave new world for videophiles and gamers alike.

Click here to read more and also check out the brief video.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 01-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Alright I know this is 4k UHD OLED HDR blah blah blah but did they really need to put the word portable in there as if we haven't had monitors yet available the last decade or so.....

Alright that little vent aside........... I bet you this is thing will probably be even more expensive than buying a 55 inch OLED :-I

If priced right it should be great and awesome!
post #3 of 52 Old 01-22-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2150
That's just too small for desktop use IMO, should be at least 24" inches at minimum.
shyguy3763 likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 01-22-2018, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Curious as to who is supplying the panel; LGD?
post #5 of 52 Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 371
It's a JOLED screen.

Q3, bleh why does everything always take so long.

21.6" 4K is a bit silly though, you going to sit 8 inches from this thing for desktop use?
post #6 of 52 Old 01-22-2018, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo235 View Post
Curious as to who is supplying the panel; LGD?
Nope. This is a new player - Samsung does 4" to 14", LGD 55"+, JOLED seems to be focused on the monitor range.
That's why it's interesting to see an actual review and how its PQ compares. I don't see an application for a 21.6" high-end display, though, it's too large for a laptop accessory (even with USB-C power) and too small for a desktop.

Soon as they put quad cores in there, I plan on getting a laptop with an OLED display - it's annoying not to be able to watch anything while on the road. Laptop LCD are seriously bad, even Apple's, they aren't even at the PQ level of midrange TVs.

Maybe JOLED will deign to hit that market too, to cover the 15"+ range. All comes down to whether they can beat Samsung's really bad pricing, of course - as an OEM item, you have to convince a laptop maker to buy your screens, not just the end user.
artoo_detoo likes this.
post #7 of 52 Old 01-23-2018, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Ugh... That's the same size as my current display. I want larger (and not yellow lol), but not 55"....

I've been looking forward to OLED for 17 years (yes, that long), but... will Micro LED replace it?
post #8 of 52 Old 01-23-2018, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogHD View Post
Nope. This is a new player - Samsung does 4" to 14", LGD 55"+, JOLED seems to be focused on the monitor range.
That's why it's interesting to see an actual review and how its PQ compares. I don't see an application for a 21.6" high-end display, though, it's too large for a laptop accessory (even with USB-C power) and too small for a desktop.

Soon as they put quad cores in there, I plan on getting a laptop with an OLED display - it's annoying not to be able to watch anything while on the road. Laptop LCD are seriously bad, even Apple's, they aren't even at the PQ level of midrange TVs.

Maybe JOLED will deign to hit that market too, to cover the 15"+ range. All comes down to whether they can beat Samsung's really bad pricing, of course - as an OEM item, you have to convince a laptop maker to buy your screens, not just the end user.
I've had my 15" Lenovo OLED for a little over a year now.

Sony XBR-65A1E
LG 55EG9600
Oppo UDP-203
post #9 of 52 Old 01-23-2018, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgr9 View Post
Ugh... That's the same size as my current display. I want larger (and not yellow lol), but not 55"....

I've been looking forward to OLED for 17 years (yes, that long), but... will Micro LED replace it?
microLED can never compete in the monitor space. Monitors require the ultimate resolution that microLED will not be able to come close to.

Sony XBR-65A1E
LG 55EG9600
Oppo UDP-203
post #10 of 52 Old 01-23-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Jocko View Post
microLED can never compete in the monitor space. Monitors require the ultimate resolution that microLED will not be able to come close to.
But OLED can?
post #11 of 52 Old 01-23-2018, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Jocko View Post
I've had my 15" Lenovo OLED for a little over a year now.
Could you tell me more, which exact model is it? I have a few grand set aside for a laptop, and I've specifically looked at Lenovo Yoga series, but I haven't found anything with a 15" OLED display.

Quote:
But OLED can?
Yes.
post #12 of 52 Old 01-23-2018, 02:11 PM

But why exactly won't Micro LED be able to ever?
post #13 of 52 Old 01-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Because there's quite a few people willing to pay $200,000 for a 150" screen. After all, it's just half the price of a Barco Thor projector, which won't look half as good as OLED even on a 12.5' screen, and micro-LED looks better.

There's not a lot of people willing to pay $200,000 for a 24" desktop monitor.

Micro-LED are priced per pixel, not per square foot.
artoo_detoo likes this.
post #14 of 52 Old 01-25-2018, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But why exactly won't Micro LED be able to ever?
You can't make individual LED's small enough to make a 30" 4K screen. Ever wonder why the mLED displays are all massive?
post #15 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is it just me, or does it look like it isn't actually capable of absolute black?
post #16 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Is it just me, or does it look like it isn't actually capable of absolute black?
It's "just you" looking at ambient light reflecting off the screen in a YouTube clip shot in a hotel room at a trade show.
Troy LaMont and artoo_detoo like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 01-26-2018 at 04:55 AM.
post #17 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Ya it is not a black hole.
post #18 of 52 Old 01-26-2018, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
Ya it is not a black hole.
Can't wait to see BHLEDs come on the market. Real infinite contrast and 4D TV.
post #19 of 52 Old 04-02-2018, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
It's "just you" looking at ambient light reflecting off the screen in a YouTube clip shot in a hotel room at a trade show.
Any updates on availability or pricing?

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung Q6FN (2018)
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #20 of 52 Old 04-03-2018, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

It's an ASUS display, so you automatically add one year to what the original release date estimate was (Summer 2018).
post #21 of 52 Old 05-17-2018, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm pretty sure this display uses RGB-OLED and not the inferior W-OLED that LG's panels use, so the colors will already more life-like and color accurate than any and all of LG's W-OLED panels.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that OLED's are all the same, because they are not. RGB-OLED's use Red, Green, and Blue Light Emitters which bring a more color accurate picture than LG's W-OLED which only uses a White Light Emitter and Red, Green, and Blue Color Filters.

LG's W-OLED displays will never reach the same color accuracy and life-likeness as these RGB-OLED displays made by JOLED.

I'll be buying this Monitor as soon as it is released, because I'm sick of staring at my monitor that uses White Light (Blue Light with a Yellow Diode). It is burning my eyes, because the Blue Light spectrum is very dangerous for the eyes, however it is slightly less dangerous than UV and Violet light.

This monitor, since it uses RGB-OLED will offer the same Light Spectrum as CRT and Plasma displays, since they all use RGB light. It will also not burn in my eyes like IPS or other inferior LCD displays which all use White Light (Blue Light with a Yellow Diode). It's no wonder CRT and Plasma both offer superior image quality to LCD, because they use RGB light, not just White Light (Blue Light with a Yellow Diode). Finally there is a modern RGB display coming out!

Basically: this display is what I've been waiting for since CRT and Plasma came out.

Long live RGB-OLED!!!
post #22 of 52 Old 05-17-2018, 04:06 PM

Rgb-oled has arrived!

So ASUS has announced it will be releasing the ASUS ProArt PQ22UC, a 21.6″ Portable UHD 4K HDR OLED Monitor.

After doing a bit of research for a few minutes, it seems that the company manufacturing the panel for ASUS is JOLED. This company has developed a way to use RGB-OLED without the high cost or many of the drawbacks that LG and Samsung bumped into.

According to my research, the ASUS PQ22UC uses RGB-OLED and not the inferior W-OLED that LG's panels use, so the colors will already more life-like and color accurate than any and all of LG's W-OLED panels.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that OLED's are all the same, because they are not. RGB-OLED's use Red, Green, and Blue Light Emitters which bring a more color accurate picture than LG's W-OLED which only uses a White Light Emitter and Red, Green, and Blue Color Filters.

LG's W-OLED displays will never reach the same color accuracy and life-likeness as these RGB-OLED displays made by JOLED.

I'll be buying this Monitor as soon as it is released, because I'm sick of staring at my monitor that uses White Light (Blue Light with a Yellow Diode). It is burning my eyes, because the Blue Light spectrum is very dangerous for the eyes, however it is slightly less dangerous than UV and Violet light.

This monitor, since it uses RGB-OLED will offer the same Light Spectrum as CRT and Plasma displays, since they all use RGB light. It will also not burn in my eyes like IPS or other inferior LCD displays which all use White Light (Blue Light with a Yellow Diode). It's no wonder CRT and Plasma both offer superior image quality to LCD, because they use RGB light, not just White Light (Blue Light with a Yellow Diode). Finally there is a modern RGB display coming out!

Basically: this display is what I've been waiting for since CRT and Plasma came out because of it's color accuracy through RGB and the soothing effect it has for my eyes: no more blood shot eyes from that dangerous Blue Light.

Long live RGB-OLED!
post #23 of 52 Old 05-17-2018, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 97
whatever floats your boat!

LG OLED55B7 -LG OLED65C8 - Marantz NR1608
post #24 of 52 Old 05-17-2018, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Woled's are inferior but they are the only ones scalable to tv sizes atm. JOLED failed to develop a rgb oled tv. A 22" rgb oled monitor isn't going to be a game changer, sony has had one of their professional grade 30" monitor on the market for some time now.
lsorensen likes this.
post #25 of 52 Old 05-17-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfson23 View Post
Woled's are inferior but they are the only ones scalable to tv sizes atm. JOLED failed to develop a rgb oled tv. A 22" rgb oled monitor isn't going to be a game changer, sony has had one of their professional grade 30" monitor on the market for some time now.

Have you seen how much Sony's 30" Professional Monitor costs? Last time I looked it was $30K. I doubt the ASUS 21.6" will be anywhere near that price point. I believe it will be a game changer. I don't know about you but I don't want to blow $30K on some RGB-OLED monitor when I could do it for only $1K.
post #26 of 52 Old 05-17-2018, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwinston View Post
Have you seen how much Sony's 30" Professional Monitor costs? Last time I looked it was $30K. I doubt the ASUS 21.6" will be anywhere near that price point. I believe it will be a game changer. I don't know about you but I don't want to blow $30K on some RGB-OLED monitor when I could do it for only $1K.
I wasnt talking about price points, just the technology itself, that it has existed for a while now. And then again, it's still just a 22" monitor. A game changer would be if someone can come up with a 55-65" rgb oled tv that could be doubled as a monitor, though i dont see that happening anytime in the near future.
post #27 of 52 Old 05-17-2018, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Other than uniformity inconsistency, WOLED is a more than adequate replacement for CRT and plasma. In fact, it's the only replacement for the latter 2 in a standard TV display size today.
lsorensen and artoo_detoo like this.
post #28 of 52 Old 05-17-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfson23 View Post
I wasnt talking about price points, just the technology itself, that it has existed for a while now. And then again, it's still just a 22" monitor. A game changer would be if someone can come up with a 55-65" rgb oled tv that could be doubled as a monitor, though i dont see that happening anytime in the near future.

According to JOLED in a blog post, they can produce these ink-jet printed RGB-OLED displays for larger sized monitors including TV's, as that is what they are eventually aiming for. So we WILL see RGB-OLED TV's, as long as people actually find out about this company and support them by buying a quality RGB-OLED TV, instead of LG's cheap W-OLED TV.

They just need more publicity and support from everyone to do this, so please support them and spread the word.
post #29 of 52 Old 05-17-2018, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Nah, I'm actually less likely to jump on any wide-eyed bandwagon that you think is just around the corner since you keep downplaying what LGD has achieved with the Xerox patents.
post #30 of 52 Old 05-17-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Nah, I'm actually less likely to jump on any wide-eyed bandwagon that you think is just around the corner since you keep downplaying what LGD has achieved with the Xerox patents.

I don't know exactly what you mean by this. The title of this thread is "Rgb-oled has arrived!" not "I'm downplaying LG's cheap W-OLED displays".

Sheesh, some people actually NEED RGB displays so they don't do further eye damage which results in glasses, then surgery, then blindness. I'm just trying to inform people that they will be able to soon buy an RGB-OLED monitor without paying an arm and a leg.

Forums have gone downhill since the new generation of people were born...I like the old days. Far out. Everyone is so against each other when it is just this: INFORMATION!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Asus , ces 2018 , oled , pq22uc , proart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page