• 1 Post By scherer326
  • 1 Post By WantsBetterChoices

post #1 of 11 Old 01-25-2018, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A1E or C7 if equal price?

I'm in a unique situation where I'm going to have the opportunity to be given a new TV of my choice.
I'm also fortunate enough to have access to Sony employee pricing, which means I have access to a 65" A1E for the same price as a C7.

I'm both a gamer and an avid movie watcher. I don't yet have any 4k sources, but I will eventually get a 4k apple TV and Xbox One X.

The C7 seems to have the latency edge and the A1E has the motion edge with BFI.

Would I be crazy to not go to for the Sony? How important do people feel BFI is for motion? I tend to hate all the 'advanced motion' modes of LCDs and turn them off whenever possible. My understanding is the BFI benefits from a natural look in a way that other modes do not (no SOE, etc).

I have a TV "nook" in my living room that my home theater sits in, which effectively means that the 'fatter' wall mounting of the A1E doesn't bother me like it would my co-worker.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by tephlon; 01-25-2018 at 08:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-25-2018, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I think the Sony is also somewhat better than the LG at dealing with gradient banding (usually from not enough compression bandwidth). The LG really seems to do not much at all to process it, so when it's present, it's very obvious and pretty ugly. I've seen shots from the Sony where it is smoothing some of those (maybe dithering?) and it can look a bit better.

If you're wall mounting (I don't like the Sony easel stand) and won't use the internal tv apps much (I vastly prefer LG's webOS), I'd probably go for the Sony at the same price.

That said, I love my C7, it's a great tv, and the low latency is nice for gaming (although you don't get that with some of the picture processing options turned on). The motion handling is something that can be an issue in certain material and you will see some judder if you keep Dejudder off or set low (I keep mine at 2/10), but it's never been a huge problem for me overall.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-25-2018, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tephlon View Post
I'm in a unique situation where I'm going to have the opportunity to be given a new TV of my choice.
I'm also fortunate enough to have access to Sony employee pricing, which means I have access to a 65" A1E for the same price as a C7.

I'm both a gamer and an avid movie watcher. I don't yet have any 4k sources, but I will eventually get a 4k apple TV and Xbox One X.

The C7 seems to have the latency edge and the A1E has the motion edge with BFI.

Would I be crazy to not go to for the Sony? How important do people feel BFI is for motion? I tend to hate all the 'advanced motion' modes of LCDs and turn them off whenever possible. My understanding is the BFI benefits from a natural look a way that other modes do not (no SOE, etc).

I have a TV "nook" in my living room that my home theater sits in, which effectively means that the 'fatter' wall mounting of the A1E doesn't bother me like it would my co-worker.
Some have complained that the BFI introduces unacceptable flicker. Try to look at both and see which you're less sensitive too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-25-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I had the C7 and returned for an A1e. Sony hands down imo is better. Motion handling is better, PQ is sharper, out of the box settings are great. I also love the look.
Dustin Windsor likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 View Post
I had the C7 and returned for an A1e. Sony hands down imo is better. Motion handling is better, PQ is sharper, out of the box settings are great. I also love the look.
some don't like the sony due to the lean back stand .. make sure that works for you if you go that route ..
post #6 of 11 Old 01-25-2018, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

I would wall mount either TV, so the stand doesn't really bother me.

The stand makes the A1E stick off the wall more than the C7, but I don't mind that because of my living room configuration. My boss is avoiding the A1E because he didn't want the extra almost 2" (1.7") it sticks off the wall. It's probably not a thing he would've noticed, but he couldn't get over the thought of it. He would get the W7 if they had done a breakout box ala Samsung instead of the soundbar, but he doesn't want to give up his Sonos playbar.

The deal was I'm supposed to pick the TV I would get and my boss would get one too. Then he saw the unusual stand of A1E and decided he didn't want to mess with it. He told me I could still get the Sony if that's the one I wanted, but, as stupid as it sounds, I'm afraid of getting the Sony if it turns out to be better.
I'm really struggling with it, because at least if we have the same TV then I can take what I learn from mine and help him with his. If I get the A1E and have less problems than him, I'll feel guilty.

Stupid much?

Don't answer. I know it is.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-25-2018, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

The stand makes the A1E stick off the wall more than the C7, but I don't mind that because of my living room configuration. My boss is avoiding the A1E because he didn't want the extra almost 2" (1.7") it sticks off the wall. It's probably not a thing he would've noticed, but he couldn't get over the thought of it. He would get the W7 if they had done a breakout box ala Samsung instead of the soundbar, but he doesn't want to give up his Sonos playbar.

The deal was I'm supposed to pick the TV I would get and my boss would get one too. Then he saw the unusual stand of A1E and decided he didn't want to mess with it. He told me I could still get the Sony if that's the one I wanted, but, as stupid as it sounds, I'm afraid of getting the Sony if it turns out to be better.
I'm really struggling with it, because at least if we have the same TV then I can take what I learn from mine and help him with his. If I get the A1E and have less problems than him, I'll feel guilty.

Stupid much?

Maybe tell him you did extra research and people are saying the A1 has better picture, so you want to make sure he gets the best one too or something. Try to help him get the best one, and then if he doesn't go for it, you can say you tried, and your boss knows you were looking out for him.
KCZ1 likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:

Stupid much?

Well the A1E has better processing (people argue over how much, but most people won't argue that the A1E doesn't have better processing). The A1E has better sound (irrelevant if you use a soundbar or external speaker setup of course). The A1E is prettier (ok personal opinion). The A1E has better build quality (you would need to go to the E7/G7 to get close to the A1E there). Has a better out of the box experience than the LG (the Technicolor picture mode on the LG firmware update has improved that situation a lot though).

C7 has a more responsive UI (some people find the menus annoyingly slugish on the A1E), has 4 ports with full 60Hz 4k rather than only 2, usually costs less, will supposedly support Technicolor Advanced HDR at some point (no idea if anything will ever use it), and has a CMS so technically it should be possible to professionally calibrate it better (although some have said the A1E seems to come out just about the same without it)

Certainly for me, I considered the A1E worth paying extra for. If the price was the same I would obviously have had even less concern getting the A1E.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #9 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs View Post
some don't like the sony due to the lean back stand .. make sure that works for you if you go that route ..
That's my favorite part about this TV!
https://imgur.com/FVWi4RW

Sony 65 A1E/LG 55 C9
PSB Imagine X2T Towers / PSB C Centre
PSB Image B6 Surrounds
Dual SVS PB 1000's / 4 SVS Elevation Atmos
Marantz 7013
post #10 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

So it turns out the way we would order the LG wouldn't charge tax, meaning the Sony is around $200 more when it's all said and done. I know most would consider that still a superior deal for the Sony TV, but I let that be some of the deciding factor.

We've ordered two C7s. Playing the panel lottery a bit here as always, but if one is acceptable and the other is bad enough to warrant a return, we will return the bad one and try for a Sony. I know LG makes the panels for both sets and the panel lottery seems to have the same odds for both, but I think that's what we're going to do.

There was also some minor concerns with some of the return policy verbiage regarding the Sony employee and family store, so I figured we'd to take our chances at a retailer I'm more confident in first.
If all goes well then I'll be happy enough to not mess with it. If I have to go so far as to return a set then I'll take it as a sign and see how it goes with Sony.

Tenuous logic, at best, but that's what we're going with.
Thanks everyone.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4313 Post(s)
Liked: 3746
I implore anyone to objectively notice processing differences at 1080p and up. The motion options are enhanced and lower quality sources will be the places you miss out (and those are big for some).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page