AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   Panasonic GT50 vs LG OLED C7? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2954854-panasonic-gt50-vs-lg-oled-c7.html)

Billabongi 02-04-2018 12:14 PM

Panasonic GT50 vs LG OLED C7?
 
Hey guys, Panasonic GT50 owner here. Ive been blown away by the LG OLED TVs so I?ve been debating about picking one up while they are on sale. Has anyone upgraded from the Panasonic Plasmas to the LG OLED TVs? If so what did you think?

How do they compare with 1080 content are they similar or are the benefits mostly around the 4K content?

Thanks

Latinoheat 02-04-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billabongi (Post 55632440)
Hey guys, Panasonic GT50 owner here. Ive been blown away by the LG OLED TVs so I?ve been debating about picking one up while they are on sale. Has anyone upgraded from the Panasonic Plasmas to the LG OLED TVs? If so what did you think?

How do they compare with 1080 content are they similar or are the benefits mostly around the 4K content?

Thanks

Hi Billabongi, I owned a GT50 as well, great tv. The most noticeable difference you will notice is with high quality content. The contrast, blacks and brightness are better on the Oled. Uniformity and motion resolution are a tad better on the plasma in my opinion but you would not notice it unless they were right next to each other. The clarity on high content is outstanding. If you watch sd content , the plasma will look better but with 1080i/1080p/4K the Oled looks better, hope this helps.

SubZombie 02-04-2018 02:03 PM

I moved from a Panasonic G10 to the OLED. When i look at the plasma now after having the OLED for 7 or 8 months the color clarity and contrast just don’t look good and I wonder how I used to think the picture was so good lol. Personally I find HD and SD content to look significantly better on the OLED but I don’t have the LG.

The motion is both better and worse on the OLED though (at least when it comes to gaming). Honestly in films and TV I can’t tell any difference with motion personally after adjusting the settings to my liking.

With games, motion (with all the image processing off) is better in the sense that there are no phosphor trails that you sometimes got on the plasma. Worse in that extremely slow camera movements don’t quite have the perfect clarity that the plasma had unless you turn on black frame insertion.

edved1 02-04-2018 02:09 PM

When I first got my plasma I thought to myself how could the picture get any better? I bought the C7 6 months ago and again I'm thinking how could the picture get any better. You throw a 4KUHD at it and you'll be mesmerized. The blacks awesome, best in class and some say OLED's are very bright, but I think it's plenty bright on most titles.

Billabongi 02-04-2018 05:46 PM

Thanks guys, I still marvel at how good the GT50 looks at 1080. I just wanted to make sure I want going to spend 2k to get the same picture. Sounds like it?s a safe beat the picture will be better.

skip61 02-04-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billabongi (Post 55634064)
Thanks guys, I still marvel at how good the GT50 looks at 1080. I just wanted to make sure I want going to spend 2k to get the same picture. Sounds like it?s a safe beat the picture will be better.

I didn't have a Panasonic plasma but a Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-101 yes 1080 or 720 is about the same but for 4K and HDR the Oled blows it away.

TX_Sean 02-05-2018 02:53 PM

High quality 4K content does certainly best older panels but I've seen some 1080P content on decent 4K panels that don't seem to hold up against some of the last fine plasmas.

eric102 02-06-2018 08:52 AM

I have a GT60 and a Pioneer Pro151 and find my LG OLED to be better in all respects. Can't think of anything the plasma's do better except heat the room.

jlsavs 02-06-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric102 (Post 55642986)
I have a GT60 and a Pioneer Pro151 and find my LG OLED to be better in all respects. Can't think of anything the plasma's do better except heat the room.

Just went from ST60 plasma to B7P .. no question the OLED is better right across the board .. and the uniformity issue I never notice during regular watching .. just saying.

BTW .. don't worry about how 1080 content will look .. it looks great on my 4K panel .. often I can't tell the diff tween 4K content and 1080P content .. it does that good a job upscaling.

The Hornet 02-06-2018 09:05 PM

Okay...Looking to possibly go from a 42" Panasonic ST30 to a 55" LG OLED in the near future, but I'm hoping the prices will come down a bit. Do you OLED owners really notice a difference in picture clarity of the 4K TV versus a 1080p set at anything closer than 6 feet away?

I do know these OLED's have a brighter picture than the Plasmas do/did. My other TV is an LCD, that actually has a very nice bright picture, so I'm looking forward to a bigger TV that has a bright picture, and very deep blacks.

Anyone have an idea when a current LG OLED 55" will go below the $1000 price point?

Latinoheat 02-07-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hornet (Post 55647300)

Okay...Looking to possibly go from a 42" Panasonic ST30 to a 55" LG OLED in the near future, but I'm hoping the prices will come down a bit. Do you OLED owners really notice a difference in picture clarity of the 4K TV versus a 1080p set at anything closer than 6 feet away?

I do know these OLED's have a brighter picture than the Plasmas do/did. My other TV is an LCD, that actually has a very nice bright picture, so I'm looking forward to a bigger TV that has a bright picture, and very deep blacks.

Anyone have an idea when a current LG OLED 55" will go below the $1000 price point?

An Oled would definitely be a huge upgrade to your ST30 and you would see a difference from 6feet away. Below $1k ? Not at this time, maybe by the end of the year.

Manoj Mohan 02-08-2018 03:39 AM

I had an 65ZT60 and went to a 77G6P. The PQ is pretty good. Good colors, nice and bright. Motion is almost as good as plasma, but even with all the motion settings off, I tend to see some mild soap opera effect.. not sure why. The best are 4K games. I have an Alienware PC hooked up to it with a Titan XP. The games look smooth, great input lag, and graphics are awesome. That definitely beats the plasma in my book.

The Hornet 02-08-2018 08:37 AM

Thanks for the info.

I cut my Cable (DirecTV actually) recently, and am now viewing TV through a Roku, and am a bit concerned about Bandwidth usage with a 4K TV. I'm already pushing the 1TB (AT&T) monthly usage on my 1080p set, I can only imaging watching 4K content, would push me past my allotted 1TB. Have any of you in a similar situation noticed your Bandwidth Usage go up with your 4K TV's?

Being that the 77G6P is a 6th generation OLED, does it have a different panel than the other 6th series LG OLED TV's? All the 7th generation OLED's, have the same panel, correct?

Manoj Mohan 02-08-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hornet (Post 55655558)
Thanks for the info.

I cut my Cable (DirecTV actually) recently, and am now viewing TV through a Roku, and am a bit concerned about Bandwidth usage with a 4K TV. I'm already pushing the 1TB (AT&T) monthly usage on my 1080p set, I can only imaging watching 4K content, would push me past my allotted 1TB. Have any of you in a similar situation noticed your Bandwidth Usage go up with your 4K TV's?

Being that the 77G6P is a 6th generation OLED, does it have a different panel than the other 6th series LG OLED TV's? All the 7th generation OLED's, have the same panel, correct?

I have no idea about bandwidth, if you are concerned stick with your plasma. I think my G6p has same panel as the other 2016 models. It was last one to have 3d. I haven't really used that feature much but I heard its supposed to be superb. I think If I could go back in time and decide wether Zt60 or my 77" Oled. I think I would have waited and held on to the Zt and maybe consider a projector.

video_analysis 02-08-2018 03:16 PM

Yes, of course streaming UHD will decimate your bandwidth caps sooner. Using a router with a bandwidth monitor (third-party DD-WRT has one) would help you to gauge it during a one-month trial, for instance. There are no other 77" panels for 2016, so that alone puts it in its own class. That doesn't mean you'll find one with flawless uniformity (and it's probably easier to find 65" panels with cleaner backplanes given the relatively easier effort required to manufacture them).

The Hornet 02-08-2018 04:22 PM

^ That's what I figured!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but LG doesn't make a 55" OLED in only 1080p set, (if they ever did) correct? And if that is true, a LG 4K OLED set can be adjusted so it only displays 1080p, also correct?

Now that Plasma's aren't being produced any longer, what does Panasonic, and other brands, consider to be there comparable TV sets? LG has it's OLED's & Samsung has the QLED, but what about the others...simple LED's?

video_analysis 02-08-2018 04:45 PM

I think they sell a 55" 1080p set in some markets, but not in the US.

Any TV with a native resolution of 4K by necessity can only display 4K. It will simply upscale any source below 4K.

Panasonic was pushing an LCD for a while, and for the last 2-3 years has been rebadging LGD WOLED panels, just not selling them here. Samsung's QLED is effectively a very expensive LCD.

Latinoheat 02-08-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hornet (Post 55658554)
^ That's what I figured!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but LG doesn't make a 55" OLED in only 1080p set, (if they ever did) correct? And if that is true, a LG 4K OLED set can be adjusted so it only displays 1080p, also correct?

Now that Plasma's aren't being produced any longer, what does Panasonic, and other brands, consider to be there comparable TV sets? LG has it's OLED's & Samsung has the QLED, but what about the others...simple LED's?

Lg did make 1080p Oled TV's. Unfortunately they are no longer produced in North America. You can still find them here on the classified section or Craigslist. A 4K tv will always upscale to 4K, otherwise it would not fit the whole screen. Meaning, a 1080p source will be displayed as a 1080p source but upscaled to 4K if that makes sense.

Panasonic makes high end lcd's and Oled TV's currently. They just aren't available in the USA. They are available in Canada & Europe. Samsung has lcd, qled is just a marketing term.

The Hornet 02-08-2018 05:15 PM

After doing just a quick search on Google, it appears that the LG 1080p OLED's were of the Curved variety, which I could never figutre out, why the produced them, seeings it reduced there Angle of Viewing, just the opposite of what I would thing consumers would want...maybe some were flat, and if so, can someone point me to them, via model number?

For those that may own such a set (1080p LG OLED) how is the picture compared to the slightly new 4K sets...Blacks and Brightness-wise?

video_analysis 02-08-2018 05:33 PM

The LG 55" OLED dawned when curve was all the rage, and they were having a genitalia-measuring contest with Samdung (who really went all in on the curve). Blacks across all OLEDs are the same (it's only the near blacks where you might see some uniformity anomalies due to imperfect backplanes, and every OLED is a little different in this area). They are less bright than 4K models, but they don't support HDR either, so it's still brighter than any plasma that preceded it (and competitive with LCDs up until 4-5 years ago).

Nigel_Tufnel 02-08-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hornet (Post 55655558)
Thanks for the info.

I cut my Cable (DirecTV actually) recently, and am now viewing TV through a Roku, and am a bit concerned about Bandwidth usage with a 4K TV. I'm already pushing the 1TB (AT&T) monthly usage on my 1080p set, I can only imaging watching 4K content, would push me past my allotted 1TB. Have any of you in a similar situation noticed your Bandwidth Usage go up with your 4K TV's?

Yes, my data rates went though the roof once I started watching 4K content, especially 4K Dolby Vision (iTunes movies, newer Netflix shows). Combined with one or two big downloads to the PS4 each month (newer games tend to be 40GB+ each), I'm bumping right up against the 1TB Comcast cap and I've had to take some drastic measures. The first is to of course limit how much 4K/HDR content you watch. But this of course sucks since you spent $ on the tv to get the best quality. I looked at all the peripheral devices on my network (iPhones, iPads, Apple TV, PS4, Amazon cylinders, various computers) and turn off all auto-updating of OSs and apps (most PS4 games will download the entire game even for a small patch, which is ridiculous in 2018). Set Apple TV to only download aerial screensavers (these are 4K DV) to once per month instead of Daily. Unfortunately had to set Netflix to Medium quality, but I'll turn it to highest quality for some particular 4K HDR shows. Limit watching iTunes movies to 1-2 per week (these can be over 25 GB per movie). Set Twitch to lower quality (720p for desktop, 480p for phone).

If you get your regular tv though a streaming service (Hulu, Playstation Vue, HBO Now, etc.) you'll have an even tougher time staying under the cap. One "good" thing about the Vue service is that none of the content is 4K, so the quality isn't great but it also doesn't use a ton of data.

So even with all that I'm not far under the cap each month. Comcast will happily take $50 extra per month to remove the cap but that's insane. I'm hoping by being really careful with the content I can delay that charge until the bump the cap up higher, but I'm not counting on it. If the cap was 1.5 TB or the cap removal fee was more like $25, I'd be OK with it, but it's pretty steep right now.

The Hornet 02-08-2018 08:53 PM

Thanks again fellows,

I figured the 4K sets would eat up bandwidth, and to read it from someone who owns one is good to know, but I'm glad to know this before I might have gone out and purchased a 4K set.

While looking at some 1080p LG OLED sets, I came across the LG 55EG9100...Seems to be quite a nice set. Any of you have this particular set?

The Hornet

Manoj Mohan 02-09-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hornet (Post 55659876)
Thanks again fellows,

I figured the 4K sets would eat up bandwidth, and to read it from someone who owns one is good to know, but I'm glad to know this before I might have gone out and purchased a 4K set.

While looking at some 1080p LG OLED sets, I came across the LG 55EG9100...Seems to be quite a nice set. Any of you have this particular set?

The Hornet

I would say if you are interested in getting an OLEd go for it. But buy it from somewhere you can return it in case you dont like it. I made a mistake and bought mine from a place that didn't accept returns :(. Oh well

Mo

The Hornet 02-09-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manoj Mohan (Post 55661364)
I would say if you are interested in getting an OLEd go for it. But buy it from somewhere you can return it in case you dont like it. I made a mistake and bought mine from a place that didn't accept returns :(. Oh well

Mo

Agreed! The LG OLED 7 series is definitely the best TV out there at the moment...IMHO. I'm saving up my money to get one here fairly soon.

datman 02-24-2018 12:42 PM

I just returned a Samsung Q75 55inch (a Costco set) I found it to have to many minor annoying details compared to my Panasonic 55 GT. Streamed 4k channels looked great but most 1080p movies even UHD movies looked worse. I don't know how to accurately describe it but Movies while having more detail didn't look real, to be it looked more like a set than a movie. Most of the UHD movies I bought are older films like the Bourne movies. I found the motion in some of those like the Bourne Identity to just be horrific the same 4K movie looked much better on my Plasma.

Another thing because I had a Costco specific model I was unable to get any help tweaking the set. I searched and posted several threads getting almost no replies.

jlb32 02-24-2018 06:53 PM

Anyone had luck buying their LG OLED C7, etc... from Ebay? Seems to be some better deals than major retail sellers and the Ebay sellers have 100% feedback.

They claim they are 100% new, not refurbished or sets with issues?

Just looking for input here. Thanks!

mo949 02-26-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billabongi (Post 55632440)
Hey guys, Panasonic GT50 owner here. Ive been blown away by the LG OLED TVs so I?ve been debating about picking one up while they are on sale. Has anyone upgraded from the Panasonic Plasmas to the LG OLED TVs? If so what did you think?

How do they compare with 1080 content are they similar or are the benefits mostly around the 4K content?

Thanks


Upgrade, it will make your GT50 look like it was an LCD. That's how my VT50 looks now.

WOLVERNOLE 02-27-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hornet (Post 55665554)
Agreed! The LG OLED 7 series is definitely the best TV out there at the moment...IMHO. I'm saving up my money to get one here fairly soon.

Well save another $700. and buy an 8 series LG OLED...say the 65"C8. I saw it with various material and I think it is a fantastic unit. A little brighter (not much), but smoother and better color. Coming out mid-March at your nearest Best Buy/Magniloa.

eganz1 02-27-2018 02:06 PM

You will enjoy a new 4K HDR OLED...

Latinoheat 02-27-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo949 (Post 55761682)

Upgrade, it will make your GT50 look like it was an LCD. That's how my VT50 looks now.

I wouldn't go that far but I get your point of view.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.