Curious how plasma compares anymore - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 183Likes
Closed Thread

post #61 of 305 Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Plasma has better motion. Other than that, OLED is better. For those who don't notice any motion difference, watch some football or hockey. The ball/puck moves smoother on a plasma.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 305 Old 02-19-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
It's weird. Everyone is comparing how dark the displays are vs. one another.

For me, one of the most compelling OLED features will be how much brighter it is than my plasma.

Night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I mentioned brightness, but the statement was encapsulated in a remark about 3D.
I told myself I wouldn't make a move unless it was a bigger screen but I am considering the lg b7 at the same size, 65', as my vt30 just isn't very bright
Really would like the 75' Sony 940e, but half the seating is at 45 degrees of less so off angle viewing would come into play
The 940 is so bright, that it might not affect it too badly

Large room with lots of reflections
Seating is anywhere from 11-14 ft away
Really wish I could set both of them up and compare

Last edited by 5x10; 02-19-2018 at 10:40 AM.
post #63 of 305 Old 02-19-2018, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Plasma has better motion. Other than that, OLED is better. For those who don't notice any motion difference, watch some football or hockey. The ball/puck moves smoother on a plasma.
I dont know, my Oled is pretty damn good. I would say it does not have as much judder as my plasma and I have watched all sorts of materials. I think this whole plasma motion thing better then oled is completely overrated. Just like they said about burn in and longevity when plasma first came out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 305 Old 02-19-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Not wanting to muddy the water, but I really look forward to the new LG OLED 8 series with that A9 processing chip (they are calling it "Alpha 9"). Apparently that chip really increases the effectiveness of the smoothness about 33%...AND the BFI (black frame insertion) should almost be a game breaker on smoothness. 2018 might well be the year that LG builds in means to overtake plasma on smoothness. Again, I look forward to the 8 series (all models above the "B" model, which will not carry the A9 chip)
post #65 of 305 Old 02-19-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
Aside from motion perception differences, flagship plasmas also tend to have more uniform grayscales. This can be objectively verified with simple slides. All my plasmas have looked cleaner than my 77" G6 below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Mohan View Post
I haven't really watched too many movies in the dark.
That might explain why you've been mum on near black uniformity. Still hoping to see yours some day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180111_230524.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	474.4 KB
ID:	2363744  
sickkent likes this.

Last edited by video_analysis; 02-19-2018 at 02:40 PM.
post #66 of 305 Old 02-19-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Aside from motion perception differences, flagship plasmas also tend to have more uniform grayscales. This can be objectively verified with simple slides. All my plasmas have looked cleaner than my 77" G6 below.

That might explain why you've been mum on near black uniformity. Still hoping to see yours some day.
Ive seen you mention this grey uniformity issue before. I have not noticed anything of the sort. Actually I would say the uniformity on my zt60 is horrendous compared to my Oled. I remember using that screen wipe on my plasma and seeing weird dark areas, like streaks. I have never seen that on my oled not once.
post #67 of 305 Old 02-19-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting...and jealously-inducing since you waited and got a better G6 deal. Just last night I was watching Justice League UHD on Vudu and could see one of my thin bands in a few scenes, subtle but slightly distracting with my awareness of it. Looked amazing otherwise and probably wouldn't have noticed it if any bias lights were lit.

The only ZT60 uniformity problems I had were from IR. That TV was a stubborn magnet.
post #68 of 305 Old 02-19-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
Not wanting to muddy the water, but I really look forward to the new LG OLED 8 series with that A9 processing chip (they are calling it "Alpha 9"). Apparently that chip really increases the effectiveness of the smoothness about 33%...AND the BFI (black frame insertion) should almost be a game breaker on smoothness. 2018 might well be the year that LG builds in means to overtake plasma on smoothness. Again, I look forward to the 8 series (all models above the "B" model, which will not carry the A9 chip)
Well the A1E already has BFI and a faster video processor than the LG 7 series, and no one claims it surpasses plasma on motion, although most seem to agree it surpasses the LG 7 series on motion.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #69 of 305 Old 02-19-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is something I've been considering for the last year or so. Biggest drawbacks: 1) Nothing wrong with my 10 year old Panasonic Plasma. Survived 10 moves, placement and removals into storage for up to 12 months. 2) Cost. As much as I'd love to purchase a new Oled, those prices are just too high for a 65". 3) Getting rid of the Panasonic. Who knows how long it would take me to get rid of it, let alone even try to give it away. Biggest Pros: 1) Weight. My plasma weighs 225lbs!! I move every 3 years or so and it's the one item I dread moving since you can't put it on a dolly. Then I'm so worried that the glass will crack when placed in the back of a truck because of the weight. Even with my wife, once it's set, I can't move it without a set of strong hands. Moving to Oled would be a blessing in the weight department. 2) Power. My plasma can use as much as 800W! Plus it generates a noticable amount of heat, which just requires more A/C to keep my room cool. 3) Moving to 4K and HDR. I do enjoy 1080p and am quite happy with it. But 4k would be appreciated, especially since I watch most of my movies on the plasma. I'm just so torn right now.
post #70 of 305 Old 02-20-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Interesting...and jealously-inducing since you waited and got a better G6 deal. Just last night I was watching Justice League UHD on Vudu and could see one of my thin bands in a few scenes, subtle but slightly distracting with my awareness of it. Looked amazing otherwise and probably wouldn't have noticed it if any bias lights were lit.

The only ZT60 uniformity problems I had were from IR. That TV was a stubborn magnet.
You have to believe me as a plasma guy, a 65Zt60 owner, and very very picky about my PQ and motion, my Oled is superior. I was just watching Star Trek into Darkness last night, and this is a 1080p file, not even 4k. The PQ was smooth, fast paced, no judder, no hiccup.. amazing. All the details were there, and then some that I could not see on my plasma. Even Tron Legacy the backgrounds and greys were superior to my plasma. Im not really into 3d, I guess its supposed to be really cool on this TV, I will try it sometime. Finding a G6p is going to be tough. I mean amazon has one NIB for like 27k! I dont know who would pay that much for a tv, but ok

Mo
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #71 of 305 Old 02-20-2018, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post
This is something I've been considering for the last year or so. Biggest drawbacks: 1) Nothing wrong with my 10 year old Panasonic Plasma. Survived 10 moves, placement and removals into storage for up to 12 months. 2) Cost. As much as I'd love to purchase a new Oled, those prices are just too high for a 65". 3) Getting rid of the Panasonic. Who knows how long it would take me to get rid of it, let alone even try to give it away. Biggest Pros: 1) Weight. My plasma weighs 225lbs!! I move every 3 years or so and it's the one item I dread moving since you can't put it on a dolly. Then I'm so worried that the glass will crack when placed in the back of a truck because of the weight. Even with my wife, once it's set, I can't move it without a set of strong hands. Moving to Oled would be a blessing in the weight department. 2) Power. My plasma can use as much as 800W! Plus it generates a noticable amount of heat, which just requires more A/C to keep my room cool. 3) Moving to 4K and HDR. I do enjoy 1080p and am quite happy with it. But 4k would be appreciated, especially since I watch most of my movies on the plasma. I'm just so torn right now.
I'm also looking to upgrade to an OLED from my Plasmas(I will keep my Panasonic ST60 for the den)I'm still very happy with the picture on the Panasonic.It doesn't weigh that much(wife helps me move it)My 50" Euro is a bit heavier.

Why I'm really considering going to OLED is the heat generated from the Plasmas.

What model do you have that weighs 225 lbs.

That alone would warrant the upgrade for me.
post #72 of 305 Old 02-20-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I believe you, I've just had a slightly different experience. Have yet to see an OLED with a backplane as uniform as the best plasmas (Kuro, ZT60) from which I come.
post #73 of 305 Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
I'm also looking to upgrade to an OLED from my Plasmas(I will keep my Panasonic ST60 for the den)I'm still very happy with the picture on the Panasonic.It doesn't weigh that much(wife helps me move it)My 50" Euro is a bit heavier.

Why I'm really considering going to OLED is the heat generated from the Plasmas.

What model do you have that weighs 225 lbs.

That alone would warrant the upgrade for me.
My model is PX75U. TV is 185lbs plus the stand to keep it upright is 40lbs. I got it right before they started coming out with the VT and ZT series. I was ready to pull the trigger years ago until I found out that they weren't making plasmas anymore. OLED wasn't as mainstream and I knew that LCD would never compare to plasma so I kept it around. Now I don't know how to get rid of it and OLED prices are still ridiculously high in the 65"+ range.
post #74 of 305 Old 02-20-2018, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Panasonic Plasma

I was the owner of a TC-P60ZT60 for about 3 years until I purchased the LG E-6 OLED The Panasonic served me well over that time. I never had any problems whatsoever. Once I had seen 3D for the first time on the OLED however, game over. The Panasonic had very decent 3D but not in the same league as the LG. I luckily found a new home for the ZT60 with a relative. It's been happily playing 3D for the new owner.plus lowering his heating bills by giving off that famous plasma heat!

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
post #75 of 305 Old 02-20-2018, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
In a dark scene your ST60 blacks will no longer be black in real world viewing..more like dark grey-ish. Put it next to a OLED and you will see...
Stevie Wonder can see that! Thanks for your perspective. I'm not stuck in an old technology just saying I still love my st60 and compare it to my ks8000 all the time. That's it!!
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #76 of 305 Old 02-21-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2580 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez1dog View Post
Stevie Wonder can see that! Thanks for your perspective. I'm not stuck in an old technology just saying I still love my st60 and compare it to my ks8000 all the time. That's it!!
I love my Pioneer Plasma to, it is still my main TV.
Bruce Watson likes this.
post #77 of 305 Old 02-21-2018, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez1dog View Post
I just recently bought a LG C7P, and my 60ZT60 is now at my parents house. Nothing wrong with sticking with that plasma until there is something else out there that makes you jump, or the TV needs replacing. My plasma by eye had near perfect screen uniformity other than a bit of IR that popped up once in a while. That and motion are definitely still better on those last generation plasmas compared to LG's OLED panels.

That being said I am now a believer in the difference in PQ with 4K HDR, and I am enjoying some of the content out there in that format. Can't wait for Thor Ragnarok and The Last Jedi on 4K UHD disc.
ez1dog likes this.

Yup, I got stuff...
LG OLED65C7P, LG 55EG9100
Marantz SR6012, Classe Sigma Amp5, Oppo BDP-203
PSB Synchrony One mains, Synchrony two center and surrounds, 2x SVS SB12-NSD
XBox One X
post #78 of 305 Old 02-22-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
I love my Pioneer Plasma to, it is still my main TV.
Same here

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #79 of 305 Old 02-22-2018, 01:20 PM

Now that I finally have my 77" G6p tuned the way I want, and the PQ has surpassed my 65ZT60.. I no longer have to review this forum! Yippie!
post #80 of 305 Old 02-22-2018, 01:33 PM

Liked: 10
I have LG 60PX990....i just love it...i think no one's mentioned about this. I am pretty sad that plasma is out of the equation here. This is a loss to consumers. If manufacturers wanted they could have taken plasma to 4k level and would probably be far superior than OLED. but OLED cheaper to produce and the marketing hype took plasma totally out of market.
post #81 of 305 Old 02-22-2018, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

For me, one of the most compelling OLED features will be how much brighter it is than my plasma.

Night and day.
I agree, for a TV in a typical family room, the additional brightness of the OLED is game changing.

Other than that, it's the additional features like 3D, 4K, HDR, WebOS, etc.

So for instance, streaming in 4K/UHD is superior to a great extent because the source material is superior and the bit rates are much higher than streaming services allow for HD content.

All of that is a much bigger deal than the marginal differences between two well calibrated displays in a non-light controlled room.

IMO
post #82 of 305 Old 02-22-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post
Quote:

Night and day.
I agree, for a TV in a typical family room, the additional brightness of the OLED is game changing.

Other than that, it's the additional features like 3D, 4K, HDR, WebOS, etc.

So for instance, streaming in 4K/UHD is superior to a great extent because the source material is superior and the bit rates are much higher than streaming services allow for HD content.

All of that is a much bigger deal than the marginal differences between two well calibrated displays in a non-light controlled room.

IMO [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I just ordered a B7 oled and am hoping the brightness will be a big change from my Panasonic vt30, which I have always thought was kinda dim

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #83 of 305 Old 02-22-2018, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I just ordered a B7 oled and am hoping the brightness will be a big change from my Panasonic vt30, which I have always thought was kinda dim
I had a plasma too then got a B7 and I can tell that the image is brighter that is for sure. You won’t be disappointed.

LG Oled 65B7P
Anthem MRX 510 receiver , Furman elite
Paradigm Millenia 300 fronts
Paradigm Millenia 30 Center,Mordaunt-Short ADP
PSA XS15se sub, Oppo udp 203, PS4, Bell PVR Fibe tv, ATV 4K
post #84 of 305 Old 02-22-2018, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You've got a 55EA9800 so you already have a taste for the brightness increase.
post #85 of 305 Old 02-22-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
You've got a 55EA9800 so you already have a taste for the brightness increase. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
oh yeah, it?s still in my game room which is usually dark
New one is going in the living room with more light

Isn?t the B7 brighter than the 9800? If so, do you know how much?
Thanks

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #86 of 305 Old 02-22-2018, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Definitely, but I don't know the nit capability differences unfortunately (I'm sure the specs are out there). The latter was built with HDR in mind (and it has no output-dimming 3D filter).
post #87 of 305 Old 03-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I had a 9th gen Pio Plasma. Actually some around here called it a 9.5gen because it was a Kuro KRP-500M and apparently the late model monitors got some but not all of the improvements slated for the cancelled 10th gen. The blacks were very, very good. As far as I know, this particular TV was the pinnacle of deep blacks at the time and also for many years to come after its cancellation.

Yet even so, the LG OLED (2016 in my case) has noticeably blacker blacks. I could get the same blackness out of the Kuro "to my eyes" by using a bias light. The LG gets there without any cheating.

Deep blacks isn't the only comparison. The LG has 3D, 4K, HDR, and is much better in bright rooms.

The Kuro has better motion, and no black crush.

The LG is power efficient, runs cooler, doesn't have "plasma buzz", looks more modern with the lack of bezels, and has apps that are actually useful to me.

The Kuro has a professional and minimalist UI. The LG has a "happy sappy animated cartoon character" interface.

So while there are a lot of pros and cons for both sides, the LG is on average a significant improvement and I have no regrets whatsoever.
JonW747, playaj and 5x10 like this.
post #88 of 305 Old 03-15-2018, 10:07 AM

Recently.. I went back to my storage room and setup my 65" Zt60 just to see.. are these guys on this board really serious that they prefer their plasma over a newer oled. I compared several movies on both my 77" Oled and the Zt60, and Im really a picture snob. There is absolutely no comparison. Its ridiculously in favor of the Oled. The sharpness, details, brightness were far superior on the Oled.. and this whole thing about better motion resolution on the plasma?? Nonsense. The plasma had more judder and was not as smooth. Overall the Zt60 has met its day. Time to move on.
Aliens and lsorensen like this.
post #89 of 305 Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Mohan View Post
and this whole thing about better motion resolution on the plasma?? Nonsense. The plasma had more judder and was not as smooth.
Not questioning your main point (OLED being better overall), on this specific point I think you are objectively wrong. There's plenty of material online to get information about this, I don't think it's questionable.
RxpSGR and obveron like this.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox

Last edited by gorman42; 03-15-2018 at 11:37 AM.
post #90 of 305 Old 03-16-2018, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I recently went through a divorce and the ex took the 42” LG plasma from the family room. I have a calibrated Panasonic TC-P58V10 plasma that was used in the basement theater setup. I figured a perfect time to upgrade so I remodeled the family room and brought the Panasonic upstairs. I figured this could be the main viewing area for my 11 year old son. He has an Xbox One and a Switch. I picked up a LG65C7 for the basement. I find the OLED far superior to the plasma in every way. There is a bit more motion blur but I don’t notice it unless I specifically look for it. I cannot get over the vastly improved blacks and the whole 4K experience. Unfortunately my son is equally enamored and wants to watch the OLED in the basement over the plasma upstairs. The games on the Xbox One X look way better on the OLED vs the One on the plasma. No regrets at all.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page