2017 LG OLED Latest Firmware 04.70.70 (2-23-18) - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #331 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post
Still a lower revision number than the Korean firmware I installed 3 months ago? (04.70.76) Weird.

04.71.00 is not lower than 04.70.76
OddyOh, lsorensen and skeeedunt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Well, being the article said that the korean firmware release a few months ago, fixed what this new USA version is fixing; I suggest if you have the korean .90 firmware installed already, hold off on the USA version until more details about it's changes are published.
I did 4.71.00 last night and I was on the KR version 90. No issues. Benefits? Idk

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #333 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Still a lower revision number than the Korean firmware I installed 3 months ago? (04.70.76) Weird.

70 looks smaller than 71 to me.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmonstertruk View Post
I did 4.71.00 last night and I was on the KR version 90. No issues. Benefits? Idk

You can put in whatever firmware you want. No one is stopping you. I’ve been installing and writing firmware for computer based electronics for more than 30 years. I have certain rules I follow.

1. If it ain’t broke.... don’t fix it.
2. If you can’t go backwards with a firmware, don’t experiment.
3. If the new firmware doesn’t have any new improvements that you need addressed, no need to upgrade.
4. If the new firmware isn’t explicit and clear about what issues it’s addressing, don’t install it.

Answers:
1. There’s nothing wrong with the .90 I’m using
2. I can’t go back to .90 if I don’t like the new 4.71.0
3. There isn’t anything on the new 4.71.0 that addresses improvements or features I need.
4. LG hasn’t stated clearly what the new firmware addresses.

I’m not saying that there’s anything wrong with 4.71.0. Not saying it will hurt anything. But it’s like jumping off of a building. You can’t jump and then decide.... “I change my mind”. You can’t “Hope” that the landing will be soft. Once I know what’s at the bottom, where I’m going to land, then I’ll decide if I’m going to jump or not. With the Korean .90, it’s not like there’s a fire, and I HAVE to jump.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #335 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
You can put in whatever firmware you want. No one is stopping you. I’ve been installing and writing firmware for computer based electronics for more than 30 years. I have certain rules I follow.

3. If the new firmware doesn’t have any new improvements that you need addressed, no need to upgrade.
4. If the new firmware isn’t explicit and clear about what issues it’s addressing, don’t install it.

Answers:
3. There isn’t anything on the new 4.71.0 that addresses improvements or features I need.

I’m not saying that there’s anything wrong with 4.71.0. Not saying it will hurt anything. But it’s like jumping off of a building. You can’t jump and then decide.... “I change my mind”. You can’t “Hope” that the landing will be soft. Once I know what’s at the bottom, where I’m going to land, then I’ll decide if I’m going to jump or not. With the Korean .90, it’s not like there’s a fire, and I HAVE to jump.
Normally I do all of those things.

I'm in IT so I know how bad a firmware update can go. Though with TV's and some audio equipment I take the chance for the benefits they bring. That last Korean update made my TV so much better. I used to get wild bandwidth swings but after that update my TVs wifi connection is Rock solid and fast. So I take the risk

post #336 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
No it isn't. .71 > .70

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #337 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 07:38 PM
vld
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Answers:
Agreed with all the above except Answers: 3.

I haven't seen a list of fixes for this firmware compared to previous versions, can you please direct me to that info?
post #338 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
Quote:

Answers:

You've been on this crusade for a couple of days now. How about letting people decide for themselves whether they want to update their firmware?
lorenzo1000 and smurraybhm like this.
post #339 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vld View Post
Agreed with all the above except Answers: 3.

I haven't seen a list of fixes for this firmware compared to previous versions, can you please direct me to that info?
See answer 4

Michael

post #340 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 10:14 PM
vld
Advanced Member

^ Gotcha! And yes, I did miss that #4 considering that answer #3 seemed rather definite.
post #341 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 10:18 PM
vld
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
You've been on this crusade for a couple of days now. How about letting people decide for themselves whether they want to update their firmware?
I see no reason not to forewarn others that may have not been burned by a firmware update as yet.

And Christcorp does sate at the beginning;
Quote:
You can put in whatever firmware you want. No one is stopping you.
pixar likes this.
post #342 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
See my previous post. I clearly stated that individuals are free to put in whatever firmware they want to. No one is stopping them.

Let people decide for themselves?......... That usually requires that an individual has informed information prior to making a decision. You’re free to be the person who thinks, just because a firmware upgrade has come out, you’re suppose to jump at it and install it. Have a nut. No one is stopping you. You obviously have very little understanding of firmware upgrades. And I’m not here to teach you. You already have your mind made up that if it’s posted, it must me good. I won’t tell you of the hundreds of firmware that made things worse, and how many times additional firmware was put out shortly after to try and repair issues caused by the previous version recently put out.

I’m simply informing people, know WHY you’re installing a new firmware. Because it just came out and it’s new is not the right answer. Install new firmware because you’re trying to fix an issue or because you’re wanting to take advantage of new features. If this doesn’t apply to you, then wait until you know more about the firmware. That’s called education. That helps people make up their own minds.
pixar likes this.

Michael

post #343 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
Quote:
See my previous post. I clearly stated that individuals are free to put in whatever firmware they want to. No one is stopping them.

Let people decide for themselves?......... That usually requires that an individual has informed information prior to making a decision. You’re free to be the person who thinks, just because a firmware upgrade has come out, you’re suppose to jump at it and install it. Have a nut. No one is stopping you. You obviously have very little understanding of firmware upgrades. And I’m not here to teach you. You already have your mind made up that if it’s posted, it must me good. I won’t tell you of the hundreds of firmware that made things worse, and how many times additional firmware was put out shortly after to try and repair issues caused by the previous version recently put out.

I’m simply informing people, know WHY you’re installing a new firmware. Because it just came out and it’s new is not the right answer. Install new firmware because you’re trying to fix an issue or because you’re wanting to take advantage of new features. If this doesn’t apply to you, then wait until you know more about the firmware. That’s called education. That helps people make up their own minds.
Fine but how many times do you have to post it? Broken record....
post #344 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Fine but how many times do you have to post it? Broken record....
2,366 times

Michael

post #345 of 494 Old 06-21-2018, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
Quote:

Answers:

04.70.90 has never been supplied as an online update in the US, and it has never appeared on the US support web site.

At some point, you must have actively sought it out and installed it. Is there some way that is consistent with your advice?
post #346 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
04.70.90 has never been supplied as an online update in the US, and it has never appeared on the US support web site.

At some point, you must have actively sought it out and installed it. Is there some way that is consistent with your advice?

Well .90 fixed wifi and some DV issues. Hence there was something broken and an update was going to fix it. So I think that followed the rules just fine. It even listed what it was fixing.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #347 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post

Actually, it's very consistent with my advice. When i sought out the firmware, it's because I was having major issues with lipsync problems and some minor networking issues. The .90 firmware, as well as the previous one, listed everything it supposedly addressed. Lipsync and networking were on the list. That is why I upgraded to it. But if you read my threads, I asked a LOT OF QUESTIONS on this forum PRIOR to downloading and installing the firmware.

My issue with the new 04.71.00 that is in discussion, is that some people noticed that a new firmware was posted on the USA site, and they just immediately jumped at upgrading to it. There wasn't anything posted about it. Very little information. And considering that the korean firmwares were known to be fixing issues, and coming out pretty regularly; vs the USA firmware that hadn't seen an upgrade in a long time, and it had no information about it, it set off alarm bells of concern. LG is a Korean company. Chances are, their firmware updates are probably "MORE CURRENT". So, if a new one in the USA comes out, why would anyone think that it's more current or is better than the korean firmware. The tv's are the same in the USA and Korea.

Now; if a person was still on the old .36, and never upgraded to the Korean .90, it makes perfect sense for them to upgrade to the new usa 04.71.00. But if a person is already on the .76 or .90 korean, there's no reason to jump at the new USA firmware without knowing more about it.

Michael

post #348 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Simply the 4.71 would include all pertinent updates including whatever is stated. Just bringing you up to date on the official us firmware. Really pretty simple to me
MackGuyver likes this.
post #349 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I am afraid this post will get lost here.

LG 4.71 US is live on the support site, if you are too impatient to wait for the phased roll out to complete at the end of June.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED55C7P

The release notes only mention IPv6 being disabled as the change.

1. disable the IPv6 function temporarily due to network function failure by ISP setting error

All other changes appear to be undocumented, so we are left guessing.
PiratesCove likes this.
post #350 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Simply the 4.71 would include all pertinent updates including whatever is stated. Just bringing you up to date on the official us firmware. Really pretty simple to me
Agreed - if you know much about programming, you'll know that unless things are noted as having been deprecated (translation: removed), all code with the same numbering scheme contains all prior updates.
william06 likes this.

Preamp/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, A-300
Speakers: (7.1.2): Klipsch Reference Premiere / Power Sound Audio S3000i sub
Video: LG OLED65B7A, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Premiere+, Nvidia Shield TV
Room: GIK Acoustics treatments
post #351 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I am afraid this post will get lost here.

LG 4.71 US is live on the support site, if you are too impatient to wait for the phased roll out to complete at the end of June.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED55C7P

The release notes only mention IPv6 being disabled as the change.

1. disable the IPv6 function temporarily due to network function failure by ISP setting error

All other changes appear to be undocumented, so we are left guessing.
Exactly my point. And being LG is a Korean Company; I'll bet my next pay check that the USA firmware is NOT ahead of, more complete, or more recent than the Korean firmware. (No matter what the number scheme says). The Korean site will be more up to date.

Having said that, there are TV/Firmware differences for Europe. So what i am saying only applies to the USA. Our tv and firmware are the same/compatible.

Michael

post #352 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 11:41 AM
vld
Advanced Member

Quote:
Exactly my point. And being LG is a Korean Company; I'll bet my next pay check that the USA firmware is NOT ahead of, more complete, or more recent than the Korean firmware. (No matter what the number scheme says). The Korean site will be more up to date.

Having said that, there are TV/Firmware differences for Europe. So what i am saying only applies to the USA. Our tv and firmware are the same/compatible.
Agreed, but it makes no sense from a manufacturing point of view to leap frog the version numbers, unless the firmware numbers are date based or something and not based on actual improvements. Must be a bear keeping a track on what changes are in each firmware update that way.

If this is indeed the case, that the only change here is; 1) disable the IPv6 function temporarily due to network function failure by ISP setting error then this firmware should have been named 04.70.41 or something.
post #353 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Agreed, but it makes no sense from a manufacturing point of view to leap frog the version numbers, unless the firmware numbers are date based or something and not based on actual improvements. Must be a bear keeping a track on what changes are in each firmware update that way.

If this is indeed the case, that the only change here is; 1) disable the IPv6 function temporarily due to network function failure by ISP setting error then this firmware should have been named 04.70.41 or something.
Playing devil's advocate, and assuming that the firmware numbers are accurate vs change; we can assume that 04.71.00 does everything UP to and including 04.70.90; and that the only additional fix/feature (From what we've read so far) is to disable IP6 temporarily........... then it makes complete sense than if a person already has 04.70.90, and doesn't deal with IP6, that they aren't in any need of doing a firmware change.

If an individual only stayed with the .36 firmware that their tv came with, then they'll have a LOT of improvements and features addressed by going to the 04.71.00 firmware.

And this goes back to what I originally posted; which a couple people think I'm preaching and chastising others on. All I've made a point of is..... KNOW what the new firmware is suppose to address before installing it. You don't install firmware simply because it's "NEW". If your system is working fine, doesn't have issues; and the new firmware isn't offering any features or improvements that will affect you; why install it????

I work for the government. One of my voice systems uses windows server 2007. This is a closed system on a closed network. It "CAN" go on the internet if I want it to, but it's used in a closed network. After installing it, configuring it, and getting it all up and running (In 2008), I turned off "Automatic Updates". It's been 10 years, and I haven't done even ONE Windows Update on the software. NOT ONE. Why would I? The server software did EXACTLY what I needed it to do when I installed it. That particular voice system hasn't changed. (I'm replacing it this year, but until now it hasn't changed). So why would I even CONSIDER updating, changing, etc. the software? I wouldn't.

Obviously, most computers and systems using firmware and software are used on the internet and other environments than my work system. Therefor, there will be software and firmware improvements and upgrades to address issues. And in those cases, updates are good. But just blindly accepting software and firmware upgrades because "The Company Posted it", is not cool. I prefer to be 1-2 upgrades behind. Or at least 1-2 MONTHS behind installing it. This allows bugs and issues to be addressed. But if you have issues with your tv, pc, router, etc... and a firmware/software update mentioned addressing what you are having issues with; then by all means update it. In the case of 04.71.00; they simply haven't stated what the issues/improvements being addressed are. That's my only reason for being cautious.

Michael

post #354 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
(snip) But if a person is already on the .76 or .90 korean, there's no reason to jump at the new USA firmware without knowing more about it.
There's no reason to go to any firmware update, unless it fixes known problems or adds features.

Enthusiasts tend to update, perhaps out of fear of "missing out". Those of us who came from Samsung TVs don't look for changelogs, because Samsung never releases them.

I can only hope that 04.71.00 is OK, as LG has started pushing it onto US TVs.

I apologize for wasting kilobytes on this. I suggest that others avoid doing that, unless they have new information to impart.
Christcorp likes this.
post #355 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 02:06 PM
vld
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Playing devil's advocate, and assuming that the firmware numbers are accurate vs change; we can assume that 04.71.00 does everything UP to and including 04.70.90; and that the only additional fix/feature (From what we've read so far) is to disable IP6 temporarily........

Sorry if this sounds like flogging a dead horse , but I have questions.

OK, I thought that I was with your thinking until the 'playing devil's advocate' part. It almost sounds as if these two quotes above contradict each other. Which do you believe, that the firmware brings in all improvements to date, or only the temporarily disable the IPv6 function?
post #356 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry if this sounds like flogging a dead horse (snip), but I have questions.

OK, I thought that I was with your thinking until the 'playing devil's advocate' part. It almost sounds as if these two quotes above contradict each other. Which do you believe, that the firmware brings in all improvements to date, or only the temporarily disable the IPv6 function?
Not the poster, but firmware updates are usually cumulative (containing all of the updates from earlier versions).

I have seen, on rare occasions, that a firmware update required that some earlier update be installed first. I have never seen such a requirement without it being listed.
post #357 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 02:36 PM
vld
Advanced Member

^
Agreed, that is the way that I am used to things happening, higher number rolling in all updates/improvements to that date and the additional newer updates to create the larger version number.
post #358 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry if this sounds like flogging a dead horse , but I have questions.

The playing devil’s advocate part is “assuming” that because the number is higher than the Korean .90, that it include everything up to .90. The truth is, we don’t know.

If LG had listed exactly what 4.71.0 brought forward, we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation. If it did everything up to .90 and only added IP6 issues, most people who were on .90 would agree that there’s no reason to upgrade the firmware. And THAT is the whole purpose of my mantra. Until you know what’s in a firmware, what it addresses to fix, and what if any new features it bring to you, you shouldn’t just upgrade to it because it’s new.

Of course, those on the .36 from last year, even with all the experiences of others using the Korean updates, who for whatever reason don’t trust them and will only let the tv do auto updates, it’s a moot point. And they’re in pretty good shape, because they haven’t had any updates in a long time. It’s worth the risk. This discussion was intended for those who simply pull out jump drives and upload any new firmware that comes out. Even if they don’t have any issues that need to be addressed.

Michael

post #359 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2396 Post(s)
Liked: 1885
Quote:
And THAT is the whole purpose of my mantra. Until you know what’s in a firmware, what it addresses to fix, and what if any new features it bring to you, you shouldn’t just upgrade to it because it’s new.
Since you will never know everything being fixed then the only reason to update is because it's new and you hope new firmware will fix old bugs. E.g. the only mention of a DV bug is in the 65 release. You could wait and suffer with DV problems from 04.70.36 until 04.71 (six months) or you could observe that 04.70.70 has the same fix as 04.70.65 and make a sensible decision. Sometimes you can depend on the kindness of strangers. Sometimes you should be a kind stranger.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #360 of 494 Old 06-22-2018, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Since you will never know everything being fixed then the only reason to update is because it's new and you hope new firmware will fix old bugs. E.g. the only mention of a DV bug is in the 65 release. You could wait and suffer with DV problems from 04.70.36 until 04.71 (six months) or you could observe that 04.70.70 has the same fix as 04.70.65 and make a sensible decision. Sometimes you can depend on the kindness of strangers. Sometimes you should be a kind stranger.
You really should read more carefully the things I've written. I've specifically said; if you have issues, then you probably want to go with whatever upgrades there are. Even if it means taking a risk. If you've got issues currently, there's no sense in not enjoying the television. Do the upgrades.

I've reiterated a number of times, my comments are mainly for the majority, who DON'T have any issues. Who's television is working fine. Who are using the .90 firmware. Who have no reason to risk the upgrade.

I just read in the 2017 C7/B7 thread of an individual who said he wished he HAD NOT upgraded from the .90 to the new 4.71.00. He said it has caused all sorts of issues. Again; my one and only main emphasis and advice is: "If it AIN'T broke, DON'T FIX IT". Don't upgrade firmware simply because it's new. You mentioned that you hope new firmware will fix old bugs. Fine; if your tv has bugs, then go for it. There's nothing wrong with that. My tv on the other hand, has absolutely NO PROBLEMS. None at all. Works exactly as I expect it to. Did it have some issues initially? Yes. Mostly lip sync and network issues. Did I upgrade the firmware? Yes. But ONLY after researching to see if the firmware upgrades addressed THOSE ISSUES. And when I found they did, I then researched other people's experience with the upgrades. When I felt comfortable believing the firmware was good, and it would address my issues, I installed not. But that's not what many people do. They install upgrades, even though they have ZERO issues that need addressed.

Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page