A/V Sync Issues with LG OLED, Denon AVR, Apple TV 4K - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Are you experiencing A/V sync issues?
Yes, as described in this thread 35 76.09%
Yes, but different issue(s) from what is described in this thread 6 13.04%
No 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 92 Old 02-28-2018, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakgungor View Post
Thanks - I'm on the latest public Canada releases for tvOS and webOS (and Denon for that matter) so it will be interesting to see if I get the same results. I use a Harmony Ultimate remote so I'm not concerned with having to disable CEC. But I'm assuming with an ARC setup that the AVR on screen display doesn't show up when changing volume, correct? What about when trying to edit AVR settings?
Yes OSD won’t display at all on the HDMI input dedicated to your Apple TV. For changing AVR settings you’d have to use your harmony to go to a different activity which will change the HDMI input on your TV to the one that’s connected to your AVRs output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 92 Old 02-28-2018, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had this problem and a problem with a weird vertical line down my screen.
Denon receiver, atv 4k and LG c755

i disabled the CEC controls for power options on all three devices.

that fixed everything.

now i have perfect sync from atv 4k.
post #33 of 92 Old 03-02-2018, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Got around to testing an ARC setup today and it seemed promising at first but as soon as I went to a source with HDR the audio went out of sync. The TV automatically enabled the Ultra HD Deep Coulour setting (or whatever it is called) and once this was engaged the audio sync went back to being problematic. I even did a reset of the TV to try a fresh start but that didn’t get me anywhere either.

It is frustrating that the picture quality on this TV is so impressive but the audio support seems half baked. Can you confirm the exact LG model you have that is playing ARC properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 92 Old 03-03-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Got around to testing an ARC setup today and it seemed promising at first but as soon as I went to a source with HDR the audio went out of sync. The TV automatically enabled the Ultra HD Deep Coulour setting (or whatever it is called) and once this was engaged the audio sync went back to being problematic. I even did a reset of the TV to try a fresh start but that didn’t get me anywhere either.

It is frustrating that the picture quality on this TV is so impressive but the audio support seems half baked. Can you confirm the exact LG model you have that is playing ARC properly?
Oh man that sucks. I have the exact same model as you - the 65C7P.

Maybe last suggestion - I heard there was some issue in the FW with the TVs built in audio settings. Can you try to turn it back to internal speaker, toggle smart sound mode on/off, and turn Dolby Atmos off. Then go back to ARC mode?
post #35 of 92 Old 03-03-2018, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezed13 View Post
Oh man that sucks. I have the exact same model as you - the 65C7P.

Maybe last suggestion - I heard there was some issue in the FW with the TVs built in audio settings. Can you try to turn it back to internal speaker, toggle smart sound mode on/off, and turn Dolby Atmos off. Then go back to ARC mode?

I will try that. I spent the morning getting the public beta of tvOS 11.3 and upgrading to the latest version of webOS (04.70.70) and unfortunately neither one fixed my sync issues completely, although it seems that DV content from the iTunes Store might be in sync now.

In the meantime can you confirm if you have tried the Amazon Prime Video app via Apple TV? It seems to be the biggest issue in terms of audio sync for me. Can you try Season 1 Episode 3 of “The Grand Tour” (which should play in HDR10 and PCM Multi-Channel 5.1) and confirm if your set up is completely in sync?
post #36 of 92 Old 03-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I will try that. I spent the morning getting the public beta of tvOS 11.3 and upgrading to the latest version of webOS (04.70.70) and unfortunately neither one fixed my sync issues completely, although it seems that DV content from the iTunes Store might be in sync now.

In the meantime can you confirm if you have tried the Amazon Prime Video app via Apple TV? It seems to be the biggest issue in terms of audio sync for me. Can you try Season 1 Episode 3 of “The Grand Tour” (which should play in HDR10 and PCM Multi-Channel 5.1) and confirm if your set up is completely in sync?
I do use amazon prime and haven’t had issues with 24 hz HDR content. Will try that episode later when I get a chance but it doesn’t make sense that the audio would be PCM 5.1 - ARC only supports lossy surround using Dolby digital.
post #37 of 92 Old 03-03-2018, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I do use amazon prime and haven’t had issues with 24 hz HDR content. Will try that episode later when I get a chance but it doesn’t make sense that the audio would be PCM 5.1 - ARC only supports lossy surround using Dolby digital.

My mistake sorry. I was focused on what the Apple TV would be outputting when “Best Quality Available” is selected and forgot that this would be converted back to Dolby Digital once it hits the TV before going to the AVR.
post #38 of 92 Old 03-03-2018, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I’ll try connecting to a non-ARC input on the LG TV. Can I confirm the specific model of LG you have?
Kakgungor, just curious if you were able to reproduce the sync problem when using a non-arc input? Satboy also commented that when avoiding ARC his sync issue went away.

I'm reading this thread eagerly, as I have a denon x4300, appletv4k, and am contemplating buying the 65" LG C7P.

Last edited by piser; 03-03-2018 at 04:57 PM.
post #39 of 92 Old 03-03-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
My mistake sorry. I was focused on what the Apple TV would be outputting when “Best Quality Available” is selected and forgot that this would be converted back to Dolby Digital once it hits the TV before going to the AVR.
Damn, you are right about this particular content - the delay is subtle but i can see it,and that it is much better in the WebOS app. I think I’m just gonna switch to LG’s WebOS, and will use AppleTV for iTunes content only :/
post #40 of 92 Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by piser View Post
Kakgungor, just curious if you were able to reproduce the sync problem when using a non-arc input? Satboy also commented that when avoiding ARC his sync issue went away.

I'm reading this thread eagerly, as I have a denon x4300, appletv4k, and am contemplating buying the 65" LG C7P.

The issue persists without ARC. My setup was originally Apple TV 4K > AVR > LG TV with no ARC. I only switched to ARC temporarily to see if it helped (it did not).
post #41 of 92 Old 03-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
The issue persists without ARC. My setup was originally Apple TV 4K > AVR > LG TV with no ARC. I only switched to ARC temporarily to see if it helped (it did not).
I have another solution that I think works. Connect the ATV to the AVR and the AVR to one of the HDMI inputs on your TV (not bothering with ARC). Just set your AVR to delay 83 ms. This is enough of a delay for 24Hz content, and not too much of a delay for 60Hz content. Read some research “A research paper published by the IEEE reveals that most viewers are more sensitive to audio/ video misalignment when audio plays before the corresponding video, because hearing the spoken word before seeing the lips move is more “unnatural” to a viewer (Blakowski and Steinmetz 1996).”

There is so little 60Hz content out there that I don’t think this is a problem, especially if you have Real Cinema ON, which has video processing time of around 88 ms anyway (i have a Leo Bodnar lag tester but it only supports 60Hz).
post #42 of 92 Old 03-04-2018, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have another solution that I think works. Connect the ATV to the AVR and the AVR to one of the HDMI inputs on your TV (not bothering with ARC). Just set your AVR to delay 83 ms. This is enough of a delay for 24Hz content, and not too much of a delay for 60Hz content. Read some research “A research paper published by the IEEE reveals that most viewers are more sensitive to audio/ video misalignment when audio plays before the corresponding video, because hearing the spoken word before seeing the lips move is more “unnatural” to a viewer (Blakowski and Steinmetz 1996).”

There is so little 60Hz content out there that I don’t think this is a problem, especially if you have Real Cinema ON, which has video processing time of around 88 ms anyway (i have a Leo Bodnar lag tester but it only supports 60Hz).
Thanks for looking into this. I did some testing with a fixed 83 ms delay and it seemed pretty good on iTunes Store content (e.g. The Dark Knight Rises), Amazon Prime Video content (e.g. The Grand Tour), the CBC TV app (e.g. Schitt's Creek which plays 60 Hz), 24 Hz Netflix content (e.g. Test Pattern). Unfortunately, testing The Crown which plays back with 50 Hz the voice sync was a bit too distracting for me. I'm guessing if I had bought the TV with this setting and watched content for the first time with it I wouldn't have noticed any issue but now I'm being hyper-sensitive to the lips and audio and it isn't quite right.

For the meantime, I'm going to go with this setup which seems to work pretty well (at least until I uncover the next problem!):
  • Apple TV 4K connected to AVR, and AVR connected to the LG TV via HDMI 2
  • AVR audio delay set to 0 ms
  • Use Apple TV 4K apps for iTunes content, Netflix, and other third-party apps
  • Use the built-in LG TV app for Amazon Prime Video, using HDMI ARC with the LG A/V adjustment set to "Off"

I should also note that I have upgraded to the latest firmware for the LG TV (04.70.70) which is only available from the Korean website currently, and also running tvOS 11.3 beta 3 (via the public beta program). It will be interesting to see if the Amazon Prime Video app on Apple TV 4K can be "fixed" with a future software update.
post #43 of 92 Old 03-04-2018, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Purpose
  1. Lock Apple TV 4K frame rate at 60 Hz
  • On Apple TV 4K, apply the following settings:
    • Set video to "4K SDR @ 60 Hz"
    • Set Match dynamic range to "On"
    • Set Match frame rate to "Off"
    • Set audio to "Dolby Digital 5.1"
I tried the above- my setup is very similar: Apple TV 4K to Denon X3400H to an LG Oled B7A. I still have an audio delay for some reason on HDR content (for example on Amazon). Is there any other particular audio settings that need to be modified on the AVR?
post #44 of 92 Old 03-04-2018, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludayoda View Post
I tried the above- my setup is very similar: Apple TV 4K to Denon X3400H to an LG Oled B7A. I still have an audio delay for some reason on HDR content (for example on Amazon). Is there any other particular audio settings that need to be modified on the AVR?

Have you tried the built in app for Amazon Prime Video on the LG TV, using HDMI ARC for audio back to the AVR? No matter what I’ve tried, the Amazon app on Apple TV 4K seems to be an issue.
post #45 of 92 Old 03-04-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for looking into this. I did some testing with a fixed 83 ms delay and it seemed pretty good on iTunes Store content (e.g. The Dark Knight Rises), Amazon Prime Video content (e.g. The Grand Tour), the CBC TV app (e.g. Schitt's Creek which plays 60 Hz), 24 Hz Netflix content (e.g. Test Pattern). Unfortunately, testing The Crown which plays back with 50 Hz the voice sync was a bit too distracting for me. I'm guessing if I had bought the TV with this setting and watched content for the first time with it I wouldn't have noticed any issue but now I'm being hyper-sensitive to the lips and audio and it isn't quite right.

For the meantime, I'm going to go with this setup which seems to work pretty well (at least until I uncover the next problem!):
  • Apple TV 4K connected to AVR, and AVR connected to the LG TV via HDMI 2
  • AVR audio delay set to 0 ms
  • Use Apple TV 4K apps for iTunes content, Netflix, and other third-party apps
  • Use the built-in LG TV app for Amazon Prime Video, using HDMI ARC with the LG A/V adjustment set to "Off"

I should also note that I have upgraded to the latest firmware for the LG TV (04.70.70) which is only available from the Korean website currently, and also running tvOS 11.3 beta 3 (via the public beta program). It will be interesting to see if the Amazon Prime Video app on Apple TV 4K can be "fixed" with a future software update.
Are you using match framerate?
post #46 of 92 Old 03-04-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Have you tried the built in app for Amazon Prime Video on the LG TV, using HDMI ARC for audio back to the AVR? No matter what I’ve tried, the Amazon app on Apple TV 4K seems to be an issue.
The WebOS Apps on the LG are completely fine with audio in sync (I do not use ARC at all as it causes too many issues - I am using logitech harmony to control everything, with an optical audio output from TV to the AVR). So mostly I just use in-built apps when I can.

For the Apple TV - its not just Amazon that is a problem for me. Even other apps such as Netflix I can sometimes hear delay (especially with Dolby Vision content). Currently I just have it set to 200ms delay, but the issue is that the delay is not the same for all content as you are aware. I really think it is an issue with the Apple TV itself as other devices on my setup are mostly fine. For example Amazon Fire TV is mostly in sync (in some cases the video is actually slightly ahead which makes no sense to me, but barely noticeable).

Mostly this is all just very annoying. Hopefully this is just growing pains coming with us adopting new technology and they will get this stuff fixed eventually.

Last edited by ludayoda; 03-04-2018 at 09:21 PM.
post #47 of 92 Old 03-04-2018, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you using match framerate?

Yes, Apple TV settings as follows:

- 4K SDR @ 60 Hz
- HDMI output YCbCr
- Chroma 4:2:0
- Match frame rate on
- Match dynamic range on
- Audio set to “Best Quality Available”

LG TV settings are set as recommended by @sonoftumble in the owners’ thread.
post #48 of 92 Old 03-04-2018, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The WebOS Apps on the LG are completely fine with audio in sync (I do not use ARC at all as it causes too many issues - I am using logitech harmony to control everything, with an optical audio output from TV to the AVR). So mostly I just use in-built apps when I can.

For the Apple TV - its not just Amazon that is a problem for me. Even other apps such as Netflix I can sometimes hear delay (especially with Dolby Vision content). Currently I just have it set to 200ms delay, but the issue is that the delay is not the same for all content as you are aware. I really think it is an issue with the Apple TV itself as other devices on my setup are mostly fine. For example Amazon Fire TV is mostly in sync (in some cases the video is actually slightly ahead which makes no sense to me, but barely noticeable).

Mostly this is all just very annoying. Hopefully this is just growing pains coming with us adopting new technology and they will get this stuff fixed eventually.

I feel your frustration and was grappling with the same issues until I found a set of settings (mostly by guess and test with the help of others on this thread). Have you upgraded to the latest TV firmware from the South Korea site and/or tried the latest Apple TV 4K beta for tvOS 11.3? I had more success after updating to those, although with all the settings I’ve tried I can’t say for sure what the “trick” was precisely.
post #49 of 92 Old 03-05-2018, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a Denon X1300W and LG B6. I do experience the lip sync issues described here on the Apple TV 4k. For the time being, my work-around has been to use the Denon iPhone app to add 140-150ms delay when I notice the issue - usually when watching DD+ sources @24Hz. My B6 doesn't support DD+ via ARC or optical, so I don't want to connect ATV directly to the TV.

My settings are: 4K SDR 60, 4:2:0, match frame rate on, match dynamic range on, best quality available audio. I just consider this to be my less-stable Advanced Mode source where I can watch Dolby Vision @24Hz with DD+ audio - a combination that eluded me prior to the (updated) Apple TV.

Until a clear winner emerges, I continue to use the best box for each app: ATV for Netflix and HBO, Roku Ultra for Amazon and YouTube, Shield TV for local media and PS Vue. The rest of the family uses Roku for just about everything - rock solid with no Denon lip sync issues regardless of app when left at 4K 60.
post #50 of 92 Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, so much for my post saying I had found a set of settings on the Apple TV 4K that mostly worked for me.

I sat down after work today to finally enjoy my setup and turned on an episode of Sense 8 only to be confronted with lip sync problems! I had been using "The Crown" as my Netflix test material and when I went back to check it everything seemed fine there. It looks like "The Crown" is 50 Hz while Sense 8 is 24 Hz, so I'm guessing the frame rate difference is what's causing the problem. Although I also did some previous Netflix testing with the "Test Patterns" material (24 Hz episode) and it seemed fine, so hard to narrow it down specifically.

The Apple TV 4K was upgraded to tvOS 11.3 beta 4 today so there is a slight chance that the software update introduced this new issue - unfortunately I didn't try Sense 8 prior to upgrading so I can't confirm if it worked previously.

My new solution is to take the advise of @Dezed13 and apply 83 ms delay to the Apple TV 4K input on the AVR. In limited testing tonight, this seems ok for Netflix (50 Hz, 24 Hz), iTunes (24 Hz), and CBC TV (60 Hz) but it still isn't enough delay to synchronize Amazon Prime Video (that seems to need more like 120-140 ms) so I'll continue to watch Amazon Prime Video via the built in LG TV app.

I'm sure I'll find other quirks as I watch more content or as software continues to be updated. It sure would be lovely if in 2018 everything could "just work" - they can somehow fit millions of pixels into these TVs and produce eye-popping colour but they still can't get box A to sync its sound with box B?
post #51 of 92 Old 03-05-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Well, so much for my post saying I had found a set of settings on the Apple TV 4K that mostly worked for me.

I sat down after work today to finally enjoy my setup and turned on an episode of Sense 8 only to be confronted with lip sync problems! I had been using "The Crown" as my Netflix test material and when I went back to check it everything seemed fine there. It looks like "The Crown" is 50 Hz while Sense 8 is 24 Hz, so I'm guessing the frame rate difference is what's causing the problem. Although I also did some previous Netflix testing with the "Test Patterns" material (24 Hz episode) and it seemed fine, so hard to narrow it down specifically.

The Apple TV 4K was upgraded to tvOS 11.3 beta 4 today so there is a slight chance that the software update introduced this new issue - unfortunately I didn't try Sense 8 prior to upgrading so I can't confirm if it worked previously.

My new solution is to take the advise of @Dezed13 and apply 83 ms delay to the Apple TV 4K input on the AVR. In limited testing tonight, this seems ok for Netflix (50 Hz, 24 Hz), iTunes (24 Hz), and CBC TV (60 Hz) but it still isn't enough delay to synchronize Amazon Prime Video (that seems to need more like 120-140 ms) so I'll continue to watch Amazon Prime Video via the built in LG TV app.

I'm sure I'll find other quirks as I watch more content or as software continues to be updated. It sure would be lovely if in 2018 everything could "just work" - they can somehow fit millions of pixels into these TVs and produce eye-popping colour but they still can't get box A to sync its sound with box B?
I have looked on numerous forums and posts about this issue, and not one suggestion has worked consistently at least for me. The problem is that what works on some videos, does not work on others when you do enough testing. Looks like I will just be sticking to the LG apps as well.

So pretty much the main advantage of Apple TV 4K (matching dynamic range and frame rate) is useless if the audio is not consistently in-sync.

Last edited by ludayoda; 03-05-2018 at 11:12 PM.
post #52 of 92 Old 03-05-2018, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have looked on numerous forums and posts about this issue, and not one suggestion has worked consistently at least for me. The problem is that what works on some videos, does not work on others when you do enough testing. Looks like I will just be sticking to the LG apps as well.

So pretty much the main advantage of Apple TV 4K (matching dynamic range and frame rate) is useless if the audio is not consistently in-sync.
For me the LG Netflix app audio is out of sync too, so it doesn’t seem as easy as just using the built in apps (unless you are only playing to the TV internal speakers). That’s why I’m using a mix of different apps on different devices.

I wonder if the 2018 OLEDs with their beefed up processors will do a better job with audio sync because they won’t have as long a delay processing the video?
post #53 of 92 Old 03-07-2018, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Just chiming in as a LG 65E6P with a Marantz SR7011 receiver (everything hooked through that, then into the ARC HDMI of the TV) who's had the same sort of issues and pulled my hair out for quite a while over them. I've got workarounds for most things, although it's not ideal. Keep hoping a firmware update will fix it...

So far, this works for me:
- AppleTV Set to Match Dynamic Range & Frame Rate (BOTH)
- Auto Lip Sync On Receiver

For anything HDR or Dolby Vision, I'm best off using the built-in TV Netflix, VUDU, and Amazon Apps.
For anything SD, I'm just fine using AppleTV via iTunes purchases or Netflix (haven't tested Amazon a lot). It's whenever HDR or Dolby Vision is used that I have problems.

It's not ideal. I watched Shape of Water the other night, and the ONLY version with HDR was the Apple version - Vudu and other stores had it, but in SD seemingly. Since there's no way to watch the best version other than AppleTV, I had to lock frame rate at 60Hz via AppleTV to get the sound to work right. For that particular movie, since most of it is slower, it didn't make that much of a difference, but for a fast action movie, I definitely would have preferred 24fps (and honestly would prefer it for everything if I could get it to work properly). It's unfortunately a pick and choose game at this point.

I should also note I briefly played with routing the AppleTV through the TV and have ARC handle the sound, which helped a lot of issues, but introduced an unfixable one that ended up seeming worse - namely, the picture was just slightly before the sound (at least for SD content), and there was no adjustment anywhere that could fix it.

Frustrating. I do think it's the fault of the TV, only because I have problems with SD content sound sync in Netflix on the TV apps as well as Youtube. I also haven't heard a ton of reports of this with other models of TV. So I don't know. I love certain aspects of my TV, but between these audio issues and some burn-in that I got, it may not be something I have long-term, which is sad because the picture quality is awesome most of the time.

P.S. I know I could use the receiver to add delay for things like that Shape of Water situation, but I never feel like I can get it exact, and it always bothers me to the point I'm focusing on whether I think sound is in sync instead of the movie. Just setting to 60 produces less anxiety. =oP
post #54 of 92 Old 03-08-2018, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've been using a old AV receiver for about a month now.

The setup was ATV4K directly to a C7 OLED via HDMI. From the C7 I used the optical out for sound to the receiver.

Never experienced any A/V sync issues. Not on netflix, itunes or amazon...

Yesterday I change the setup and replaced the old receiver with a new Marantz SR5012 so the setup changed by going all hdmi from ATV to receiver and from receiver to TV. No ARC

Immediately I noticed sync issues. Interstellar on itunes seemed to be affected the worse.

More annoyingly, if I watch a netflix show I can open the marantz lip sync overlay menu and tune the lip sync time while still seeing the netflix picture.

For some strange reason I cannot open the lip sync overlay menu when watching something in iTunes. It just takes me to the receiver main menu so no picture of the film is displayed.
post #55 of 92 Old 03-08-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked: 806
I have a E6 and USA optical out to denon x3300. I find that the internal apps are out of sync but it?s video ahead of audio so I can?t make the audio faster?
post #56 of 92 Old 03-08-2018, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabraal View Post
For some strange reason I cannot open the lip sync overlay menu when watching something in iTunes. It just takes me to the receiver main menu so no picture of the film is displayed.
I'm guessing this is occurring because the iTunes content in question is Dolby Vision. The Dolby Vision spec apparently requires the content to be "untouched" between the source (Apple TV) and destination (LG TV), so the AVR isn't allowed to overlay its on-screen display. If you try other iTunes content (including HDR10), you should be able to get the on screen display.
post #57 of 92 Old 03-08-2018, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
I have a E6 and USA optical out to denon x3300. I find that the internal apps are out of sync but it?s video ahead of audio so I can?t make the audio faster?
I have the same problem with the internal Netflix app but not the internal Amazon Prime Video app. It seems there are issues at several levels, some related to LG, some possibly related to Apple TV. It's a total mess at this point.
post #58 of 92 Old 03-08-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I have a C6 OLED and 2017 Onkyo receiver and get audio sync problems for all DV on both my OPPO, Chromecast Ultra and AppleTV. I think this is a DV problem. I had a 2017 Denon and had the same issues so its not brand specific. I use about 80ms to fix the issue.

BTW, the Onkyo can overlay a gui over DV so that statement isn't entirely true.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.85 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #59 of 92 Old 03-08-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
I have the same problem with the internal Netflix app but not the internal Amazon Prime Video app. It seems there are issues at several levels, some related to LG, some possibly related to Apple TV. It's a total mess at this point.
i find the internal youtube app to be the worst. Amazon and Netflix are close enough but you can still tell it's off if you look hard.
post #60 of 92 Old 03-21-2018, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'll chime in as well...I have an LG OLED 65E6, Apple TV 4k and most recently upgraded to a DV capable Yamaha RX-A2060. Like everyone else here, I have major lip sync issues watching any DV content from the AT4k - I have tried it from itunes and netflix and its a mess. HDR seems to be okay for me and as well as SD content, its literally just Dolby Vision. Oddly enough, prior to getting the A2060 about a week or so ago, I had the same setup with an RX-A2020. However, since that AVR couldn't pass 4k content or HDR I had the Apple TV 4k run directly to the OLED E6 with ARC coming back to the A2020 - I had no problems with audio sync watching dolby vision content, worked perfectly. Now that I "upgraded" to the A2060 I ditched ARC and ran an optical cord due to issues with controlling my system (I have a Harmony Elite and was having issues with gear not cooperating due to CEC) and all the lip sync issues began.
So far my solution is to watch any dolby vision content with the LG OS built in apps - all my DV stuff from Vudu and Netflix works just fine from those. It's just aggravating that stuff doesn't work like it should.

BTW, my settings on the Apple TV are:
4k SD @ 60hz
Match Frame Rate: On
Match Dynamic Range: On
Audio: Best available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page