LG OLED > A1E (For those who worry about OLED/Gaming). - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SonyTV101

post #1 of 6 Old 03-03-2018, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 55
LG OLED > A1E (For those who worry about OLED/Gaming).

So after my slew of the Z9D, Q7F, MU7000, A1E, and the LG B7A, I can attest that it?s a great tv.

The thing I particularly never liked about the Sony Bravia series is their home screen, it?s essentially middle gray. So if you are agitated by the gray uniformity issues you?ll see it right when you turn the tv on.

Furthermore the input lag, approximately (~15 ms) makes a difference. However, with the LG VS A1E, I can tell the difference while playing PUBG...

The thing I particularly like about the LG OLED is the launch screen or home screen. It filters different images which helps with image retention. I opened my tv up and a huge gray band went down the entire tv. I used pixel refresher and it was completely gone.

I used Sony?s pixel refresher and it essentially widened the bands.

I have played in the first few days of me owning the tv 22hrs of LOTR game on XBONE.

No image retention.

I also like the fact that I?m not as anal retentive seeing the 18% gray as the home screen every time you turn on the A1E.

I think the reviews wasted so much time of paranoia that I didn?t get to enjoy the tv sooner.

Legitimately with the LG I think I have a brilliant panel. I also purchased Best Buy warranty in case anything should happen.

So if you?re legitimately concearned, about burn in or uniformity issues save yourself the time and money and get the B7A. Don?t open up 10% and 5% gray if you don?t need to. If you can?t see dead pixels in normal content or movies, don?t keep swapping the TV.

Lastly, no matter how much the peace of mind is on a LED/LCD, the OLED is so much better.

When numerous people on a board and tell the issues, if ostracizes the OLED, for something that many don?t have issues with.

For as picky as I am, I am incredibly impressed with the LG menu, OS, magic remote and overall craftsmanship of the tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-03-2018, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Gaming
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4CD1CBF9-742D-4ABA-8541-601C87BAF48A_1520117455468.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2369724  
Al Leong likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-03-2018, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 68
You are aware that the last pubg patch from a few days ago reduced the input lag for the game significantly? The game itself had about 100ms of lag for inputs when it came out and it’s been being reduced. The gray stuff comes down to panel lottery.

Also the input lag difference isn’t 15ms in 4K. It is about 9ms. Further more the game runs at 30fps so the frame time is 33ms so you would be reacting to the same frame either way.

In reality a wireless controller has 80+ms of input lag inherently and this is not stable, it fluctuates up and down. There is a lot more than 10ms if lag reduction gained by just plugging the controller in to the console, but most people can’t tell the difference.

65" Sony A1E
Sony STR-DN1080
JBL Studio L880 Towers
JBL Studio LC2 Center
JBL Studio L810 Surrounds
Velodyne DPS-10 Sub

Last edited by SubZombie; 03-03-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-03-2018, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
I own the c7 and overall it’s a great set but it’s dim hdr game mode makes the a1e automatically superior when it comes to 4K hdr gaming.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-04-2018, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZombie View Post
In reality a wireless controller has 80+ms of input lag inherently and this is not stable, it fluctuates up and down.
Hmm. This is very off-topic here but I couldn't ignore this. Did anybody really measure this or did you just guess a random number?

Sure, wireless has *some* "inherent" lag but it's merely a few ms for the best (and most expensive) wireless PC "gamer" mouses (it might fluctuate a bit with high radio interference and such but remains pretty low at all times, really just mere 1-2 ms on average and may be double of that at noise peaks...). And I recall some cheaper wireless mouses scoring around 20-30 ms but I can't remember seeing such high numbers (~80ms) anywhere before.
For comparison, I measure 1-2 ms ping times between my outdoor WiFi devices spanning a few kilometers (and that just plain standard 802.11 "N" protocol, not even the proprietary polling-modes which optionally ignore CSMA --> I think Razer and Logitech does something like that for these mouses, similar to what you get with Mikrotik's N-streme / NV2 or Cisco's similar custom stuff... the radios are tuned to shout between themself, ignoring everything around them and in case of these mouses, optimized for low latency rather than throughput...).

I just laugh at those people but some will tell you that even that ~2 ms should be avoided at all costs, suggesting you should sacrifice the comfort of having no "anchored chains" attached to the brick you try tossing around (e.g. plug in your Ouroboros / Mamba or G900 / G903 for gaming to cut down that few ms). But I agree 20+ ms could start being a problem.

So, I find it a little hard to believe a dedicated gaming hardware clocks in around 80 ms. That sounds crazy. Not even a dirt cheap general purpose bluetooth mouse should be as high as that and we talk about a relatively solid-built, purpose-designed controller solely used for gaming...

Either ways, my main point is, anything above a few ms is not inherent to the wireless radios (unless they are crazy stupid with them) but other parts in the design (like the interfaces these radios are attached or the firmware which controls the whole thing...).

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list

Last edited by janos666; 03-04-2018 at 01:05 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-04-2018, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
Hmm. This is very off-topic here but I couldn't ignore this. Did anybody really measure this or did you just guess a random number?

Sure, wireless has *some* "inherent" lag but it's merely a few ms for the best (and most expensive) wireless PC "gamer" mouses (it might fluctuate a bit with high radio interference and such but remains pretty low at all times, really just mere 1-2 ms on average and may be double of that at noise peaks...). And I recall some cheaper wireless mouses scoring around 20-30 ms but I can't remember seeing such high numbers (~80ms) anywhere before.
For comparison, I measure 1-2 ms ping times between my outdoor WiFi devices spanning a few kilometers (and that just plain standard 802.11 "N" protocol, not even the proprietary polling-modes which optionally ignore CSMA --> I think Razer and Logitech does something like that for these mouses, similar to what you get with Mikrotik's N-streme / NV2 or Cisco's similar custom stuff... the radios are tuned to shout between themself, ignoring everything around them and in case of these mouses, optimized for low latency rather than throughput...).

I just laugh at those people but some will tell you that even that ~2 ms should be avoided at all costs, suggesting you should sacrifice the comfort of having no "anchored chains" attached to the brick you try tossing around (e.g. plug in your Ouroboros / Mamba or G900 / G903 for gaming to cut down that few ms). But I agree 20+ ms could start being a problem.

So, I find it a little hard to believe a dedicated gaming hardware clocks in around 80 ms. That sounds crazy. Not even a dirt cheap general purpose bluetooth mouse should be as high as that and we talk about a relatively solid-built, purpose-designed controller solely used for gaming...

Either ways, my main point is, anything above a few ms is not inherent to the wireless radios (unless they are crazy stupid with them) but other parts in the design (like the interfaces these radios are attached or the firmware which controls the whole thing...).

That number is real but I could have clarified more on what I meant by it.

If you look up Xbox input latency you will find that in the BEST case the latency is around 70ms-80ms depending on the game with many shooting up to around 120ms or more. This number fluctuates significantly as you play as well. I didn't mean to imply using the controller wirelessly added that much input lag alone but I see how it was taken that way, I shouldn't have said wireless. I did a quick search and didn't see the exact test I was recalling, but displaylag.com as well as some tests on youtube showing input latency being around around 70-80ms which can fluctuate up and back down 30-40+ms as you play.

As far as wireless vs wired I haven't seen a test that was legit for the current consoles(the only one I have seen was from NX gamer but the members of their own forum pointed out the results were bogus and not even capable of being precise enough to measure a difference of less than 16ms). Last gen I did see tests showing the wireless 360 controller adding about 16ms of latency vs wired and when the current consoles came out microsoft said the wireless had 20% less latency so I am assuming around 13ms (but in reality this will be impacted by the environment and different for everyone).

65" Sony A1E
Sony STR-DN1080
JBL Studio L880 Towers
JBL Studio LC2 Center
JBL Studio L810 Surrounds
Velodyne DPS-10 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page