2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78889Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4411 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 03:31 PM
Member
 
PG55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Pebble Beach Ca
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
That’s easy - Netflix via your cable box must not be able to do Dolby Vision, while LG has providing it via their app pretty much since DV showed up. Similar to some of the limits streaming boxes have had with DV in previous versions or content providers. DV will always be the default option when it’s available.
Thanks! Any idea why it shows up as 1080p on the Marantz AVR remote app for iPhone? Which is better DV or HDR?

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
L-C-R = Def Tech Mythos 9's + Surrounds = Mythos Gem XL"s
Subwoofer = HSU ULS-15 MK2
PG55 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4412 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,414
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
Thanks! Any idea why it shows up as 1080p on the Marantz AVR remote app for iPhone? Which is better DV or HDR?


Is that when TV Audio is the selected input. In that case no video is going thru the AVR and that is just a default static screen image generated over HDMI (that has the Denon logo on it) that never gets displayed.
rsonnens is online now  
post #4413 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Member
 
PG55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Pebble Beach Ca
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
Is that when TV Audio is the selected input. In that case no video is going thru the AVR and that is just a default static screen image generated over HDMI (that has the Denon logo on it) that never gets displayed.
Excellent-Thank you!

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
L-C-R = Def Tech Mythos 9's + Surrounds = Mythos Gem XL"s
Subwoofer = HSU ULS-15 MK2
PG55 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4414 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
LiQiCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger27 View Post
Is this a case where the mpeg noise reduction feature would help?
Not really, the banding you see isn't part of the signal - it is part of the way the panel displays near black signals. So the MPEG noise reduction cannot eliminate it. If you bring up a 5% near black uniformity slide, it will usually display the banding the best and you can try to turn on some noise reduction features -- but it usually won't make a difference.

MPEG Noise Reduction also includes a feature similar to Sony's Smooth Gradation, but it unfortunately is not a separate option - when you enable MPEG Noise Reduction though - one of the advantages is that it can help smooth out things like the sky during sunset and stuff. So it is something that you might want to leave on "Low", anything more than Low and it can end up removing detail from the picture though.
Harbinger27 likes this.
LiQiCE is offline  
post #4415 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Member
 
mbernstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brazil
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Lightning usually does not strike in the same place twice usually.

Unless your this guy.......

. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg_3g9_1H3o



I guess I'm luckier than the lightning guy, but it stroke twice in my purchase: received today my replacement set, original problem was gone, but... Now my screen freezes and it creates an horizontal white line like in the photo attached. TV works for a little while then it freezes the image it is playing and produces the referred line. I used my cable box which was working fine prior to exchanging the TVs. Plugged it first via my Yamaha Soundbar, then directly in the 3 lateral HDMI inputs of the C8, same thing. It also happened with USB playback and with the TV's own screensaver (which I attached). Curiously, when playing my LG UP970 via my Soundbar, both a BD and an UHD played with no problem. The UHD played for more than an hour... I don't know if anyone has any clue on this... (it happens within 5 minutes or so, normally much faster).

Thanks.

PS: now a Sony BD is playing fine, an Oppo DVD freezes, quite crazy...
PPS: I factory reset to no avail, latest firmware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-03 17.07.44 (crop).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	2450570  

Samsung UN78HU9000GXZD / Marantz SR8012 / B&W 705 S2 + HTM71 S2 Front + B&W DB4S sub + Polk Audio Monitor 30 Back
LG OLED 65C8PSA / Marantz SR6013 / B&W CM1 S2 + CM Center S2 Front + Jamo J10 sub + NHT SuperZeros 2.1 Back
LG OLED 55EA9850 / Yamaha Soundbar YSP 2700

Last edited by mbernstein; 09-03-2018 at 04:49 PM.
mbernstein is offline  
post #4416 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
LiQiCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
Thanks! Any idea why it shows up as 1080p on the Marantz AVR remote app for iPhone? Which is better DV or HDR?
HDR10, which is the format most people are referring to when they say HDR (because LG erroneously labels HDR10 content HDR) uses static metadata. The metadata contains things like what is the brightest scene, the average brightness, the maximum brightness based on the original source (usually 1000 or 4000 nits). So basically it is using the same information throughout the entire film. This is not ideal since a movie can have very dark scenes and very bright scenes of course. LG TVs have a feature called Dynamic Tone Mapping which can dynamically analyze an HDR10 movie and override the static metadata to create an overall better picture (especially since the LG C8 OLED cannot reach 4000 nits, it can instead take content meant to be 4000 nits and map it to the brightest the TV can get - instead of clipping content above a certain light output). Although some would argue this detracts from the way the movie was originally meant to be viewed and is on the same page as other video processing effects that most enthusiasts would turn off. You can try turning it on and off on your LG and see which option you prefer (I prefer it set to ON).

Dolby Vision has dynamic metadata, in other words each frame of a movie can contain a different piece of metadata, allowing for more control from the film maker.

So from an overall picture quality perspective, Dolby Vision is going to be better at least in theory (there are some films in Dolby Vision that look worse simply because the metadata wasn't done well). Dolby Vision is a proprietary format though, which is why some TVs don't support it like Samsung, Panasonic, etc. The competing format to Dolby Vision is HDR10+ which is an open standard developed by Samsung, Panasonic and 21st Century Fox.

Anyway - thats why Dolby Vision is preferred over HDR10 when you watch Netflix - Dolby Vision is a better format and should provide you with a better picture.
mrtickleuk, PG55 and Harbinger27 like this.
LiQiCE is offline  
post #4417 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 1,943
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post
I guess I'm luckier than the lightning guy, but it stroke twice in my purchase: received today my replacement set, original problem was gone, but... Now my screen freezes and it creates an horizontal white line like in the photo attached. TV works for a little while then it freezes the image it is playing and produces the referred line. I used my cable box which was working fine prior to exchanging the TVs. Plugged it first via my Yamaha Soundbar, then directly in the 3 lateral HDMI inputs of the C8, same thing. It also happened with USB playback and with the TV's own screensaver (which I attached). Curiously, when playing my LG UP970 via my Soundbar, both a BD and an UHD played with no problem. The UHD played for more than an hour... I don't know if anyone has any clue on this... (it happens within 5 minutes or so, normally much faster).

Thanks.
It seems when LG replaces a set they may use prior faulty sets as replacements. I guess they figure no harm done if the new user sees no problem. Not the best way of doing business if that is correct. Hope it’s not true.

Clark
Clark Burk is offline  
post #4418 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
LiQiCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post
I guess I'm luckier than the lightning guy, but it stroke twice in my purchase: received today my replacement set, original problem was gone, but... Now my screen freezes and it creates an horizontal white line like in the photo attached. TV works for a little while then it freezes the image it is playing and produces the referred line. I used my cable box which was working fine prior to exchanging the TVs. Plugged it first via my Yamaha Soundbar, then directly in the 3 lateral HDMI inputs of the C8, same thing. It also happened with USB playback and with the TV's own screensaver (which I attached). Curiously, when playing my LG UP970 via my Soundbar, both a BD and an UHD played with no problem. The UHD played for more than an hour... I don't know if anyone has any clue on this... (it happens within 5 minutes or so, normally much faster).

Thanks.
Unfortunately it sounds like another bad TV. You can try different HDMI cables to be sure (Premium Certified cables would be best), but you're saying it happens with internal videos like the screen saver, so I doubt it is the HDMI cables. Can you try playing the built in video demos (go to Photos / Videos from the Home Screen, and there should be a built in storage with a few videos included). A frozen screen with a white line across sounds like a bad TV to me though.

Sorry to hear that lightning has struck twice for you!
LiQiCE is offline  
post #4419 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 05:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
So not being satisfied with getting my screen to the best it can be while waiting on calibration (somehow I still have not hit 100 hours????!!) I took up the challenge of finally getting my arch nemesis ARC to work!!! It's a good thing I had off from work for Labor day cuz it took about 5 hours for me to get it to finally work.....so in my case Labor day was actually doing something sort of productive. I haven't had the time or patience before now to get this to work, and now I see why!! Between the settings in the TV and my AVR, it was a struggle. I spent alot of time on the Marantz and LG sites and forums and got some tips, but I would have thought by now there might be a video LOL!!! Maybe I missed it!!

So, to make a long story shorter....I finally have it working, and after having turned Atmos on in the TV sound menu, I didn't realize how many Netflix shows are coded that way!! No lip sync issues with various audio and video formats, on Amazon or Netflix. I haven't tried Youtube, but to be honest I never use my TV for Youtube videos. I may check out the 4K videos. I think I can tell a difference in the audio (may be a placebo effect since I actually got it working and want it to sound better!!!!) but my outputs are definitely showing Atmos. Anyway, I will keep reading and checking things out....I hope all of you with ARC and lip sync issues get them solved!!
Cam1977 and mrtickleuk like this.
RavenBF is offline  
post #4420 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 06:34 PM
Newbie
 
Beknatok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all,

Just picked up a 55" C8 plus a SK9Y. Pretty pleased with the combo so far, particularly the TV itself. I haven't even gotten around to tweaking the pictures, but am very pleased. Did have some initial issues getting HDMI ARC audio working but an HDMI cable swap fixed that. Just need time to explore everything in the TV settings and read through this thread's history.

Question - I'm dumping cable and considering Sling. Is the built-in Sling app good enough? Or should I get a Roku Ultra to drive everything?

Thanks!
Beknatok is offline  
post #4421 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,196
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked: 3474
^congrats and welcome! As far as sling that's totally up to you and what your needs are...good thing is that their are a lot of options out their especially for cord cutters.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #4422 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 06:51 PM
Newbie
 
Beknatok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^congrats and welcome! As far as sling that's totally up to you and what your needs are...good thing is that their are a lot of options out their especially for cord cutters.
Thanks for the welcome!

Suppose I'm just confused whether a Roku would be additional overkill, given the built-in apps. The LG already has apps for all content that I'd be watching (Amazon, Netflix, Sling, OTA). So I'm just unclear on whether the Roku Ultra gets me that content with additional enhancements or whatever?
Beknatok is offline  
post #4423 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 06:55 PM
Member
 
fernan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is there a way to make this TV automatically switch to the HDMI input with an active signal?
Rich C likes this.
fernan1234 is offline  
post #4424 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,196
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked: 3474
^the roku for sure will give you more variety...for example apps like HBOgo or Showtime anytime...however on amazon will give the options of purchasing those cable channels I mentioned...cable tv not too sure.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #4425 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
waltinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beknatok View Post
Thanks for the welcome!



Suppose I'm just confused whether a Roku would be additional overkill, given the built-in apps. The LG already has apps for all content that I'd be watching (Amazon, Netflix, Sling, OTA). So I'm just unclear on whether the Roku Ultra gets me that content with additional enhancements or whatever?

I was thinking of getting a Roku Ultra or an Apple TV, but with so many apps available directly on the LG, I am holding off for now. Between my cable and the onboard apps, I’m pretty much set. If I find I’m missing something, I’ll reconsider.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

________

LG OLED 77C8PUA...stunning!
LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W
waltinaz is online now  
post #4426 of 19325 Old 09-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Member
 
mbernstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brazil
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post
I guess I'm luckier than the lightning guy, but it stroke twice in my purchase: received today my replacement set, original problem was gone, but... Now my screen freezes and it creates an horizontal white line like in the photo attached. TV works for a little while then it freezes the image it is playing and produces the referred line. I used my cable box which was working fine prior to exchanging the TVs. Plugged it first via my Yamaha Soundbar, then directly in the 3 lateral HDMI inputs of the C8, same thing. It also happened with USB playback and with the TV's own screensaver (which I attached). Curiously, when playing my LG UP970 via my Soundbar, both a BD and an UHD played with no problem. The UHD played for more than an hour... I don't know if anyone has any clue on this... (it happens within 5 minutes or so, normally much faster).

Thanks.

PS: now a Sony BD is playing fine, an Oppo DVD freezes, quite crazy...
PPS: I factory reset to no avail, latest firmware.
That said, what I've been able to see between freezes is outstanding. The 3 "pro" presets are really good, and I managed to put the Brightness pattern and it is the first time I bought a TV where the right brightness is actually 50... Hopefully they will replace the back panel and keep the panel itself and I'll be able to enjoy it soon. Don't even think I'll bother to do much tinkering in the settings.

Samsung UN78HU9000GXZD / Marantz SR8012 / B&W 705 S2 + HTM71 S2 Front + B&W DB4S sub + Polk Audio Monitor 30 Back
LG OLED 65C8PSA / Marantz SR6013 / B&W CM1 S2 + CM Center S2 Front + Jamo J10 sub + NHT SuperZeros 2.1 Back
LG OLED 55EA9850 / Yamaha Soundbar YSP 2700
mbernstein is offline  
post #4427 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
waltinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 137
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Well, after spending the long, holiday weekend pretty much in front of my new 77C8 OLED just watching and ogling over the jaw-dropping picture, and also playing with the settings (to my wife’s continued dismay...LOL), I wanted to provide the settings I’ve settled on, along with some other thoughts and observations, to help others who are fortunate enough to be able to pick up this fantastic TV, and are looking for info.

First of all, after trying various settings from various sources (including Rtings, CNET/Katzmaier, Darko, and from earlier in this thread), I’ve settled on these, from from flatpanelshd.com:

I am using these EXACTLY as listed above, including the 2-point White Balance settings (which I found were noticeable, and helped skin tones look the most natural), for the three following modes and purposes, with the noted exceptions:
* Technicolor Expert (User)
- “Normal” daytime/evening viewing, including sports, from Cox cable via HDMI 2
- OLED Light at 80
- TruMotion User - De-Judder - 0, De-Blur - 5
- May occasionally turn on MPEG Noise Reduction to Low, depending on content
- Will experiment with turning on Motion Pro (BFI) in this mode for sports, etc, to see what’s it like FOR ME. I haven’t done this yet.

* ISF Expert (Bright Room)
- For TV shows and movies during the daytime, primarily streaming content from onboard apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc), but also sometimes from Blu-Ray and Cox cable via HDMI 2
- OLED Light at 82
- TruMotion - Off

* ISF Expert (Dark Room)
- For TV shows and movies during the evening/night in a mostly dark/dark viewing environment, from onboard apps, but also sometimes from Blu-Ray and Cox cable via HDMI 2
- TruMotion - Off
- No changes from the settings above

A few lingering questions I have on the settings are as follows:
- Sharpness at 10 or 0? Katzmaier has his at 0, but one review said that 10 is the “neutral” setting. I’ve decided on 10, since multiple reviews have it at this.
- Still a little unclear on the best TruMotion User settings, when it is activated, while still avoiding any SOE. I went with the settings above, but some say 0/0, 0/10 or 2/10.
- Aspect Ratio of Original/Just Scan - On vs. 16:9/On
- Gamma of 2.2 vs. BT.1886 (Katzmaier prefers the latter)

Football, golf and NASCAR (and tennis, for that matter, though I'm not a big fan) looked outstanding (broadcast quality notwithstanding), and the LSU-Miami game Sunday night on ABC was the best I've ever seen football look on TV.

A last observation I’ll make is this: If you haven’t explored the onboard YouTube app yet, go, NOW, and find the GoPro channel, then find some of the 4K (and even some 8K?) videos that are at 60 FPS. O...M...F...G...on this panel. I have literally never seen anything like this. My wife and I sat there for hours this weekend just watching random GoPro, and YouTube, videos, with our mouths open, marveling about, well, everything. It takes your breath away...

Anyway, I hope this helps the other new 77C8 owners...enjoy!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

________

LG OLED 77C8PUA...stunning!
LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W

Last edited by waltinaz; 09-04-2018 at 07:28 AM.
waltinaz is online now  
post #4428 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ronald Epstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinaz View Post
Well, after spending the long, holiday weekend pretty much in front of my new 77C8 OLED just watching and ogling over the jaw-dropping picture, and also playing with the settings (to my wife’s continued dismay...LOL), I wanted to provide the settings I’ve settled on, along with some other thoughts and observations, to help others who are fortunate enough to be able to pick up this fantastic TV, and are looking for info.

First of all, after trying various settings from various sources (including Rtings, CNET/Katzmaier, Darko, and from earlier in this thread), I’ve settled on these, from from flatpanelshd.com:

I am using these EXACTLY as listed above, including the 2-point White Balance settings (which I found were noticeable, and helped skin tones look the most natural), for the three following modes and purposes, with the noted exceptions:
* Technicolor Expert (User)
- “Normal” daytime/evening viewing, including sports, from Cox cable via HDMI 2
- OLED Light at 80
- TruMotion User - De-Judder - 0, De-Blur - 5
- May occasionally turn on MPEG Noise Reduction to Low, depending on content
- Will experiment with turning on Motion Pro (BFI) in this mode for sports, etc, to see what’s it like FOR ME. I haven’t done this yet.

* ISF Expert (Bright Room)
- For TV shows and movies during the daytime, primarily streaming content from onboard apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc), but also sometimes from Blu-Ray and Cox cable via HDMI 2
- OLED Light at 82
- TruMotion - Off

* ISF Expert (Dark Room)
- For TV shows and movies during the evening/night in a mostly dark/dark viewing environment, from onboard apps, but also sometimes from Blu-Ray and Cox cable via HDMI 2
- TruMotion - Off
- No changes from the settings above

A few lingering questions I have on the settings are as follows:
- Sharpness at 10 or 0? Katzmaier has his at 0, but one review said that 10 is the “neutral” setting. I’ve decided on 10, since multiple reviews have it at this.
- Still a little unclear on the best TruMotion User settings, when it is activated, while still avoiding any SOE. I went with the settings above, but some say 0/0, 0/10 or 2/10.
- Aspect Ratio of Original/Just Scan - On vs. 16:9/On
- Gamma of 2.2 vs. BT.1886 (Katzmaier prefers the latter)

A last observation I’ll make is this: If you haven’t explored the onboard YouTube app yet, go, NOW, and find the GoPro channel, then find some of the 4K (and even some 8K?) videos that are at 60 FPS. O...M...F...G...on this panel. I have literally never seen anything like this. My wife and I sat there for hours this weekend just watching random GoPro, and YouTube, videos, with our mouths open, marveling about, well, everything. It takes your breath away...

Anyway, I hope this helps the other new 77C8 owners...enjoy!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Walt,

Thanks for these settings. Will try it on my 65 C8 display over the next few days.

Thanks for the recommendation of the GoPro 4k videos on YouTube. You are right. They are amazing.
waltinaz likes this.
Ronald Epstein is offline  
post #4429 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Trumotion settings are what your eyes perceive to see the best. Without seeing judder. As far as gamma, I think 2.2 is the better option as it will give you more shadow detail. The contrast might not be as pronounced, but unless you are watching in a dark, Home theater style room, 2.2 is where you’ll want to be.

I personally use original aspect ratio with just scan on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waltinaz likes this.
Wjboshart is offline  
post #4430 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 07:55 AM
Member
 
PG55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Pebble Beach Ca
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQiCE View Post
HDR10, which is the format most people are referring to when they say HDR (because LG erroneously labels HDR10 content HDR) uses static metadata. The metadata contains things like what is the brightest scene, the average brightness, the maximum brightness based on the original source (usually 1000 or 4000 nits). So basically it is using the same information throughout the entire film. This is not ideal since a movie can have very dark scenes and very bright scenes of course. LG TVs have a feature called Dynamic Tone Mapping which can dynamically analyze an HDR10 movie and override the static metadata to create an overall better picture (especially since the LG C8 OLED cannot reach 4000 nits, it can instead take content meant to be 4000 nits and map it to the brightest the TV can get - instead of clipping content above a certain light output). Although some would argue this detracts from the way the movie was originally meant to be viewed and is on the same page as other video processing effects that most enthusiasts would turn off. You can try turning it on and off on your LG and see which option you prefer (I prefer it set to ON).

Dolby Vision has dynamic metadata, in other words each frame of a movie can contain a different piece of metadata, allowing for more control from the film maker.

So from an overall picture quality perspective, Dolby Vision is going to be better at least in theory (there are some films in Dolby Vision that look worse simply because the metadata wasn't done well). Dolby Vision is a proprietary format though, which is why some TVs don't support it like Samsung, Panasonic, etc. The competing format to Dolby Vision is HDR10+ which is an open standard developed by Samsung, Panasonic and 21st Century Fox.

Anyway - thats why Dolby Vision is preferred over HDR10 when you watch Netflix - Dolby Vision is a better format and should provide you with a better picture.
Thank you-best explanation of Dynamic Tone Mapping DV and HDR I have read!


PG55
LiQiCE and waltinaz like this.

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
L-C-R = Def Tech Mythos 9's + Surrounds = Mythos Gem XL"s
Subwoofer = HSU ULS-15 MK2
PG55 is offline  
post #4431 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,023
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6404 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post
I'm in a dark room with no light and, yes, OLED is perfect for that situation and is specifically why I had always wanted an OLED for my room. The C8 is easily bright enough to make your eyes hurt in a perfectly dark room during bright scenes. And when the TV goes black, it completely disappears. You could argue that OLED is the perfect display technology for light controlled rooms (without discussing image size compared to projectors).
Projectors are designed for a totally different environment, a dedicated space for sure. Usually a projector is not used as much as your standard viewing area....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
It seems when LG replaces a set they may use prior faulty sets as replacements. I guess they figure no harm done if the new user sees no problem. Not the best way of doing business if that is correct. Hope it’s not true.
I doubt that.........Usually they are brand new if they swap......
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #4432 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
waltinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Trumotion settings are what your eyes perceive to see the best. Without seeing judder. As far as gamma, I think 2.2 is the better option as it will give you more shadow detail. The contrast might not be as pronounced, but unless you are watching in a dark, Home theater style room, 2.2 is where you’ll want to be.

I personally use original aspect ratio with just scan on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thanks, man! And good point re the gamma, as the contrast is already very pronounced, so not a concern there.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

________

LG OLED 77C8PUA...stunning!
LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W
waltinaz is online now  
post #4433 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Has anyone broken in their OLED using the D-Nice slides? If so, I assume you put them on a flash drive and used the built-in media player?


Steps on how to do this would be appreciated. Planning to use the TV normally during the day, and run the slides overnight each night until I reach 150-200 hours.
Harbinger27 is offline  
post #4434 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,289
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger27 View Post
Has anyone broken in their OLED using the D-Nice slides? If so, I assume you put them on a flash drive and used the built-in media player?


Steps on how to do this would be appreciated. Planning to use the TV normally during the day, and run the slides overnight each night until I reach 150-200 hours.
Why? That seems like a waste of energy and pixel life. Are you wanting to get the TV calibrated right away or something? If not, then just use it regularly.
RDalton, ynalepa, waltinaz and 1 others like this.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #4435 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
waltinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Why? That seems like a waste of energy and pixel life. Are you wanting to get the TV calibrated right away or something? If not, then just use it regularly.
Agreed; my method of breaking it in is to just watch the sh*t out of it... That is what I got it for...LOL!
RDalton and jstheoriginal like this.
waltinaz is online now  
post #4436 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Member
 
Trojan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinaz View Post
I was thinking of getting a Roku Ultra or an Apple TV, but with so many apps available directly on the LG, I am holding off for now. Between my cable and the onboard apps, I’m pretty much set. If I find I’m missing something, I’ll reconsider.
If you only watch those, you're probably fine. Benefits of a separate box like Apple TV are things like:
  • Broader/more updated app support
  • Light Gaming (Crossy road, etc)
  • AirPlay & Airplay 2 (Or Chromecast etc, if apple ain't your thing)
  • Individual TV Apps that have bonus content & features, or work with cable (AMC, etc)
  • Consolidated TV App (New episodes across multiple streaming services all show up in "TV" section)
  • Universal Login (One DirecTV login, works across all apps)
  • Better phone integration (IMO)
  • Usually More up to date (TvOS I think is more likely to get timely updates than built ins)

Basically, there's a lot more there with a separate ATV box but are firmly in the "nice to have" and not "critical" category.
Trojan35 is offline  
post #4437 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Newbie
 
jstheoriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
If you only watch those, you're probably fine. Benefits of a separate box like Apple TV are things like:


  • Broader/more updated app support
  • Light Gaming (Crossy road, etc)
  • AirPlay & Airplay 2 (Or Chromecast etc, if apple ain't your thing)
  • Individual TV Apps that have bonus content & features, or work with cable (AMC, etc)
  • Consolidated TV App (New episodes across multiple streaming services all show up in "TV" section)
  • Universal Login (One DirecTV login, works across all apps)
  • Better phone integration (IMO)
  • Usually More up to date (TvOS I think is more likely to get timely updates than built ins)



Basically, there's a lot more there with a separate ATV box but are firmly in the "nice to have" and not "critical" category.


Don’t forget about using it for streaming 4K HDR iTunes, if you have an HD library build up there (HD titles for the most part have been upgraded to 4K/HDR for free...Disney being the biggest holdout on that).


65” LG C8
Trojan35 likes this.
jstheoriginal is offline  
post #4438 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Maybe in 5-10 years, when eARC is widely supported, those apps might use HD audio. But I doubt it.
I don't know.. if they can monetise it the same way Netflix has with 4K content, we might see it sooner.
Sure, it's not around the corner.. but I'd say a lot closer to 5 years than 10.. perhaps less!
TimRex is offline  
post #4439 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Why? That seems like a waste of energy and pixel life. Are you wanting to get the TV calibrated right away or something? If not, then just use it regularly.
This set was a significant financial investment, and I want to make sure it is broken in properly and evenly. A little extra peace of mind.


Similar to the way you'd break in a new car's engine before taking it to the drag strip.
mrtickleuk and waltinaz like this.
Harbinger27 is offline  
post #4440 of 19325 Old 09-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi everyone! I just officially joined the OLED club and have an E8 arriving later today. A couple of quick questions:

1) I'm going to be wall mounting this on my existing wall mount that I've been using for my Kuro 50". Since the mount holes on the E8 are at the bottom of the TV, does anyone know if it's okay to mount the TV using only the bottom portion of the mount bracket? I know this TV weighs WAY less than the Plasma, but thought I'd check with anyone who's done that.

2) Which types of screws are needed for the mount? I read somewhere that it's M6, but how long do the screws need to be. Can't find that info anywhere and don't want to get any that are too long.

thanks
Ninjacake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off