Well, after spending the long, holiday weekend pretty much in front of my new 77C8 OLED just watching and ogling over the jaw-dropping picture, and also playing with the settings (to my wife’s continued dismay...LOL), I wanted to provide the settings I’ve settled on, along with some other thoughts and observations, to help others who are fortunate enough to be able to pick up this fantastic TV, and are looking for info.
First of all, after trying various settings from various sources (including Rtings, CNET/Katzmaier, Darko, and from earlier in this thread), I’ve settled on these, from from flatpanelshd.com:
I am using these EXACTLY as listed above, including the 2-point White Balance settings (which I found were noticeable, and helped skin tones look the most natural), for the three following modes and purposes, with the noted exceptions:
* Technicolor Expert (User)
- “Normal” daytime/evening viewing, including sports, from Cox cable via HDMI 2
- OLED Light at 80
- TruMotion User - De-Judder - 0, De-Blur - 5
- May occasionally turn on MPEG Noise Reduction to Low, depending on content
- Will experiment with turning on Motion Pro (BFI) in this mode for sports, etc, to see what’s it like FOR ME. I haven’t done this yet.
* ISF Expert (Bright Room)
- For TV shows and movies during the daytime, primarily streaming content from onboard apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc), but also sometimes from Blu-Ray and Cox cable via HDMI 2
- OLED Light at 82
- TruMotion - Off
* ISF Expert (Dark Room)
- For TV shows and movies during the evening/night in a mostly dark/dark viewing environment, from onboard apps, but also sometimes from Blu-Ray and Cox cable via HDMI 2
- TruMotion - Off
- No changes from the settings above
A few lingering questions I have on the settings are as follows:
- Sharpness at 10 or 0? Katzmaier has his at 0, but one review said that 10 is the “neutral” setting. I’ve decided on 10, since multiple reviews have it at this.
- Still a little unclear on the best TruMotion User settings, when it is activated, while still avoiding any SOE. I went with the settings above, but some say 0/0, 0/10 or 2/10.
- Aspect Ratio of Original/Just Scan - On vs. 16:9/On
- Gamma of 2.2 vs. BT.1886 (Katzmaier prefers the latter)
Football, golf and NASCAR (and tennis, for that matter, though I'm not a big fan) looked outstanding (broadcast quality notwithstanding), and the LSU-Miami game Sunday night on ABC was the best I've ever seen football look on TV.
A last observation I’ll make is this: If you haven’t explored the onboard YouTube app yet, go, NOW, and find the GoPro channel, then find some of the 4K (and even some 8K?) videos that are at 60 FPS. O...M...F...G...on this panel. I have literally never seen anything like this. My wife and I sat there for hours this weekend just watching random GoPro, and YouTube, videos, with our mouths open, marveling about, well, everything. It takes your breath away...
Anyway, I hope this helps the other new 77C8 owners...enjoy!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk