2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80285Likes

post #4531 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG027 View Post
Purchased a 55" c8 a few weeks ago, and had been really looking forward to owning it (despise LCD tech); However, I've used the TV for about two weeks now and no matter what settings I use - the set is just dark.
The detail in shadows and blacks is absolutely crushing. Brightness over 55 and blacks become gray, gamma 1.9 starts to look acceptable, but is still dark and gray washed. It looks like it'd need gamma 1.5 or less to approach being watchable - but then all of the other aspects of the picture would be ruined.
- My brothers 900e Sony looks much better and it's an LCD!

I get very similar crush as in this video.
At Youtube: watch?v=LHs5flKbIQ4 (Sorry less than 5 posts - can't post links)

Frankly it's ridiculous and I can't imagine this is what an OLED set is supposed to look like.
I have made sure HDMI black level settings are correct, re-labelled output for 'PC' 0 - 255, and using 'High' black level setting.
Also tried limited and low and any other combo - just cant lift the darkness.

Has anyone else had this issue or is my panel faulty. I noticed the video on Youtube is a recent upload and my set is manufactured in July/2018 - perhaps bad batch.
I'm really annoyed that no content is watchable due to this, especially with the premium price paid, and I'm seriously considering a obtaining a refund.

Any AVS expertise is appreciated
I've read that there's alot of changes within the first 200 hours of the tv so if you haven't got that yet Id wait till then and then try to dial in brightness. I've also read resetting the tv can fix the crush too so you might wanna try that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Here is a video of what I’m seeing with my c8. I seem to get a lot of micro blocking in dark scenes just out of black. It seems like when somthing comes into the screen just out of black the pixels fire on brighter for a second. If I pause it the micro blocking is not as near as bright and noticeable. I’ll add a link to a video of it doing it in the revinant.

post #4533 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quick question: I just read that the LG has a feature that dims only the static logos on the screen while the rest of the screen is at regular brightness. How well does this work with HUDs in gaming? If it works well, this would make the LG C8 an instant buy for me.

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4534 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
I am getting Atmos from the Amazon app.
Hmm... OK thx.

Does it show up as being listed as Atmos, or do you just see that it's an Atmos track on your receiver?

If the former, maybe I need to reset the app somehow.
post #4535 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastano View Post
So does the Firmware .10 give any big improvements compared to my "Standard" .05 one? Do we have some Real Changelogs? It seems they get sunken in the thread sadly. And the Korea Firmware really works on the EU/US TVs as well?

I been running it since day one with no issues. I'm in the USA and there may be issues flashing it on European sets. I have not noriced any lip sync issues since installing it but only noticed a couple different movies before. I'v only had TV 2 weeks today...a 77C8

The change-log I seen mainly was addressing lip sync issues...although there were a few other lines

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
post #4536 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpickem View Post
I been running it since day one with no issues. I'm in the USA and there may be issues flashing it on European sets. I have not noriced any lip sync issues since installing it but only noticed a couple different movies before. I'v only had TV 2 weeks today...a 77C8

The change-log I seen mainly was addressing lip sync issues...although there were a few other lines
What's the usual lag time between Korean and North American firmware releases? Or does North America (or other regions) sometimes skip firmware releases?
post #4537 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
What's the usual lag time between Korean and North American firmware releases? Or does North America (or other regions) sometimes skip firmware releases?

I really have no idea. I have flashed sammy firmware before from china and it still wasn't in US 5-6 months later(JU7100). Actually this is my first ever LG TV...if it's anything like their phones the SW updates are very slow coming

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
post #4538 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
Does anyone else experience what would be I guess "light bleed" in dark scenes on their tv? I have the E8P and in dark scenes, like the credits for a movie, the corners of the screen appear to be lighter then the rest of the screen. In other words, not black, but looks like there is light coming through there. I thought this was an LED issue, not OLED?

Anyone else?
I just saw this last night while watching the Mayans and thought it was the content, but I checked it with blue ray and streaming apps and yes I had the light bleed in the corners. I paused a scene in Deadpool 2 and I could see the light doing like a bloom effect. I tried a couple of things and turning the brightness back down to 50 in all modes fixed this and it went away/barely noticeable. It just happened last night for the first time and I am wondering if that is because I am getting closer to the 100 hour mark and my panel is settling in. At 88 hours at the moment. I had the brightness from 51-53 depending on the mode, but like I said they are all back down to 50 and I see no noticeable difference other then that light bleed/bloom is gone.

Last edited by RavenBF; 09-05-2018 at 06:49 PM.
post #4539 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Hmm... OK thx.

Does it show up as being listed as Atmos, or do you just see that it's an Atmos track on your receiver?

So I just read this new part of the thread and was like huh? In Netflix it shows that there is an Atmos soundtrack. I had just watched Jack Ryan but this was before I set up my ARC, so it was on optical cable. I just went into the Amazon app and started watching Jack Ryan. It shows when you select the episode it is Dolby Vision and 5.1, but when I went to the Marantz app on my tablet, low and behold, it is playing an Atmos track (and it showed on the front of my receiver as well). I am in the US and have the firmware update from weeks ago, my TV is not showing a new update yet here. So, if you have a way to check your receivers output, you can verify that way.
BuGsArEtAsTy likes this.

Last edited by RavenBF; 09-05-2018 at 06:36 PM.
post #4540 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
Quick question: I just read that the LG has a feature that dims only the static logos on the screen while the rest of the screen is at regular brightness. How well does this work with HUDs in gaming? If it works well, this would make the LG C8 an instant buy for me.

I don't have the C8 anymore, but from what I can remember, it did nothing at all in game mode. I think maybe the decontouring filter was the same in that way. Logo dimming worked really well in the other picture modes, noticeably dimming bright HUD elements such as the health bars in Tekken 7. But then you're stuck with ~50ms latency versus 21ms, which is quite noticeable. Unfortunately, it seems that games where the low latency of game mode is almost a necessity are ones that are also likely to feature a mandatory, often brightly-colored HUD.

Hopefully someone else can confirm this for you. If not, I have an e8 coming tomorrow, so I should be able to test this out in a few days.
srinivas1015 likes this.
post #4541 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Hmm... OK thx.

It says Atmos on my receiver. The app just says 5.1 IIRC. Amazon seems notorious for mislabeling and/or hiding their best content.
post #4542 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Purchased a 55" c8 a few weeks ago, and had been really looking forward to owning it (despise LCD tech); However, I've used the TV for about two weeks now and no matter what settings I use - the set is just dark.
The detail in shadows and blacks is absolutely crushing. Brightness over 55 and blacks become gray, gamma 1.9 starts to look acceptable, but is still dark and gray washed. It looks like it'd need gamma 1.5 or less to approach being watchable - but then all of the other aspects of the picture would be ruined.
- My brothers 900e Sony looks much better and it's an LCD!

I get very similar crush as in this video.
At Youtube: watch?v=LHs5flKbIQ4 (Sorry less than 5 posts - can't post links)

Frankly it's ridiculous and I can't imagine this is what an OLED set is supposed to look like.
I have made sure HDMI black level settings are correct, re-labelled output for 'PC' 0 - 255, and using 'High' black level setting.
Also tried limited and low and any other combo - just cant lift the darkness.

Has anyone else had this issue or is my panel faulty. I noticed the video on Youtube is a recent upload and my set is manufactured in July/2018 - perhaps bad batch.
I'm really annoyed that no content is watchable due to this, especially with the premium price paid, and I'm seriously considering a obtaining a refund.

Any AVS expertise is appreciated
Looks like the same issue I had. Use a brightness pattern and if you get the same I got in the attached picture, you have a bad panel, needs replacement. My replacement panel was fine, this TV just looks amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-08-04 08.22.42 (Large).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	2451466  

Samsung UN78HU9000GXZD / Marantz SR8012 / B&W 705 S2 + HTM71 S2 Front + B&W DB4S sub + Polk Audio Monitor 30 Back
LG OLED 65C8PSA / Marantz SR6013 / B&W CM1 S2 + CM Center S2 Front + Jamo J10 sub + NHT SuperZeros 2.1 Back
LG OLED 55EA9850 / Yamaha Soundbar YSP 2700
post #4543 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post
Looks like the same issue I had. Use a brightness pattern and if you get the same I got in the attached picture, you have a bad panel, needs replacement. My replacement panel was fine, this TV just looks amazing.
That looks crazy. Is it just any brightness pattern that can show this..and do you have to bring brightness up high to see this (im assumimg thats the brightness slider in the photo, i couldn't read it). This looks like a defect that'd be immediately noticeable on regular content..did you really need a pattern to see it?
post #4544 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
It says Atmos on my receiver. The app just says 5.1 IIRC. Amazon seems notorious for mislabeling and/or hiding their best content.
OK. It looks like I’m not really getting Atmos. Netflix says the audio is Atmos but my Marantz receiver seems to be getting the DD+ stream only. Cycling through the various receiver sound modes (by toggling the mode selector button on the front), It was DD+ with Dolby Surround or else with Neural:X. Atmos was not an option.

I started playing with a bunch of different settings through the Marantz iPhone app and finally the Dolby Atmos badge lit up on screen and the receiver started receiving Atmos... for a few minutes until the sound cut out completely. Then after that no matter what I selected for ARC, the sound would come on just for a few seconds and then would go silent. This was across multiple apps. I reboot the receiver and no change. I then unplugged the TV and reboot it and the sound came back over ARC, but again just with the DD+ stream sent even though Netflix says it’s an Atmos track. Amazon Prime Jack Ryan is also DD+ over ARC.

It seems that although the track is indeed Atmos, most of the time it cannot properly negotiate a proper Atmos stream so I get DD+’fallback.

Actually DD+ seems fine and better than optical, but it may make sense to turn off Atmos completely so the LG won’t even try to send it.
post #4545 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
OK. It looks like I’m not really getting Atmos. Netflix says the audio is Atmos but my Marantz receiver seems to be getting the DD+ stream only. Cycling through the various receiver sound modes (by toggling the mode selector button on the front), It was DD+ with Dolby Surround or else with Neural:X. Atmos was not an option.

I started playing with a bunch of different settings through the Marantz iPhone app and finally the Dolby Atmos badge lit up on screen and the receiver started receiving Atmos... for a few minutes until the sound cut out completely. Then after that no matter what I selected for ARC, the sound would come on just for a few seconds and then would go silent. This was across multiple apps. I reboot the receiver and no change. I then unplugged the TV and reboot it and the sound came back over ARC, but again just with the DD+ stream sent even though Netflix says it’s an Atmos track. Amazon Prime Jack Ryan is also DD+ over ARC.

It seems that although the track is indeed Atmos, most of the time it cannot properly negotiate a proper Atmos stream so I get DD+’fallback.

Actually DD+ seems fine and better than optical, but it may make sense to turn off Atmos completely so the LG won’t even try to send it.

Do you have an actual Atmos speaker setup on your Marantz? If not then you will never have Atmos sent to it (you’ll only get DD+ from the LG)
post #4546 of 21133 Old 09-05-2018, 11:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
Do you have an actual Atmos speaker setup on your Marantz? If not then you will never have Atmos sent to it (you’ll only get DD+ from the LG)
Yes, it’s 5.1.2.
post #4547 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernstein View Post
Thanks for reply.
No my panel doesn't look like that. Mine just has no detail in low blacks - a black in a scene is zero level black, blackest of blacks (which you never see in real life) and just eliminates any detail in shadows. It's akin to having gamma normal for the bright content in your picture and gamma 3 -4 for the lower dark content. Just horrible for watching film/movies.

Anyhow, decided to return the Tv, not just because of that problem - panel also displays blue and pink tinges to white content, jhas vertical banding evident on grey screens, flickers on grey screens, has a very small amount of 'grey glow' on blacks in the bottom corner (mentioned by another user above - looks similar to ips glow) and the motion on these oleds is terrible.

I have been wanting to change over to Oled for so long, and as a long time fan of Plasmas believed that the time was right. As much as i want to invest in Oled IMO it's still an under-cooked technology.
I will say that the panel was perfect in gaming. Best motion I've seen in-game on any display. However LG needs to fix up how these TVs handle low frame rate content ie. film - the judder is terrible.

Sigh - back to my Panny Plasma and LCD monitor till next years models perhaps.
post #4548 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for reply.
No my panel doesn't look like that. Mine just has no detail in low blacks - a black in a scene is zero level black, blackest of blacks (which you never see in real life) and just eliminates any detail in shadows. It's akin to having gamma normal for the bright content in your picture and gamma 3 -4 for the lower dark content. Just horrible for watching film/movies.
I think it has to do with the content. Check out episode 2 of Lost in Space Netflix when the dad goes to the waterlogged room in the lower deck to check the fuel lines. Truly stunning blacks.

But then in later episodes in some scenes in the forest, some of the blacks look crushed.
post #4549 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:

So, another thing I do with my receiver, if you haven't already done this, is to unplug the Marantz and leave it unplugged for a minute or so. I do this whenever my receiver is acting weird or gets locked.
post #4550 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Watched first episode of 'Jack Ryan' on my C8 last night. Wow...quite impressive. I ran it with the default Dolby Vision settings and did not have to adjust anything.
waltinaz likes this.
post #4551 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat007 View Post
Watched first episode of 'Jack Ryan' on my C8 last night. Wow...quite impressive. I ran it with the default Dolby Vision settings and did not have to adjust anything.

A question regarding this setting - Dolby Vision Cinema (User):
I notice that the White Balance is set to “20 Points IRE” (with an IRE of 100, and no R/G/B adjustments), as opposed to “2 Points” (which is what Dolby Vision Cinema Home is set to). I have all of my other picture modes (Technicolor Expert, ISF Bright and ISF Dark) set to “2 Points”, with R/G/B adjustments, per my earlier settings.

So which is better/preferable/more accurate - 20 Points IRE or 2 Points? And what is the difference between the two?

At a very quick glance at the beginning of Jack Ryan, the skin tones seem slightly skewed towards red, vs. my other settings.

Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

________

LG OLED 77C8PUA...stunning!
LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W
post #4552 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Received my new 65” LG C8 yesterday but Purolator jammed something into the box during shipping and the display panel is bent in. It looks fine when on, but just going to be a b*%ch to get this unit switched now. The screen itself was saved by the styrofoam, but still bent.

65” LG C8
post #4553 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Got a 55C8 last week, but I'm exchanging it to hopefully get one that's perfect, the screen uniformity was really awful and also presented sometimes weird artifacts

I didn't go through the whole thread, but is this something common ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	2451584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	2451586  
post #4554 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6577 Post(s)
Liked: 6577
You will not find a perfect TV, it has not been made yet. Screen uniformity issues happen on all displays. With the LG over a few hundred hours they do get better......
post #4555 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You will not find a perfect TV, it has not been made yet.
Sony BVM-X300?
post #4556 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 1230
Quote:
You will not find a perfect TV, it has not been made yet. Screen uniformity issues happen on all displays. With the LG over a few hundred hours they do get better......
That's true that no screen is perfect, but some screen issues are defects and it's better to cut and run so a return can be made within the return window. After a couple of hundred hours if you have major screen issues, chances are they won't work themselves out.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #4557 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I noticed the problem on the first day while playing a movie in 4K Dolby Vision with the default Home Cinema picture setting, the movie black bars were perfectly black on the right side of the screen but greyish and waving on the left side of the panel, I first think about a source defect, so I changed movie, HDMI cable, player... but still got the issue, am I asking too much from this OLED panel or can I hope for a "not perfect" but better experience once replaced ?
post #4558 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If I connect C8 to my PC and watch 4k HDR and 1080P movies (using madVR) , what input mode is better : PC or regular HDMI X input?

Thanks

TV : LG OLED 65C8 [U]
post #4559 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Cable Box CEC question

We got the 65" C8 a couple of days ago, and still getting it settled in, but one perplexing issue has arisen.

The new LG replaced a Samsung Plasma (64F8500), into which was plugged a Samsung sound bar, an Oppo Blu Ray player, and a Samsung cable box. This is the cable box in question: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GX-SM...70_&dpSrc=srch

With the Samsung TV remote, we could control all three devices using the Samsung TV remote, through the TV via HDMI CEC. One remote ruled them all, and it was nice.

With the LG C8, we have the LG remote controlling the Samsung sound bar and the Oppo Blu Ray player OK via HDMI CEC, but not the Samsung cable box. I go into the menu that enables CEC, tell it that a cable box is on HDMI 1, click on Samsung as the cable box brand, and it offers me three different remote options to try. None of them respond.

Is there a trick to getting this to work, or are we just out of luck with this TV and cable box, and have to juggle two remotes to change the TV channel?
post #4560 of 21133 Old 09-06-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Here is a video of what I’m seeing with my c8. I seem to get a lot of micro blocking in dark scenes just out of black. It seems like when somthing comes into the screen just out of black the pixels fire on brighter for a second. If I pause it the micro blocking is not as near as bright and noticeable. I’ll add a link to a video of it doing it in the revinant.

https://youtu.be/Pxukzws_ul4
Your issue was discussed earlier in this thread. Search for @jk32 posts along with my response and test image. Unfortunately, the problem is inherent to all 2017/2018 LG OLED panels so will affect Sony too. Stick to less compressed material where the issue will be harder to see since it will affect smaller pixels areas instead of the large patches of color that are common with higher compression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page