2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80214Likes

post #4561 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Your issue was discussed earlier in this thread. Search for @jk32 posts along with my response and test image. Unfortunately, the problem is inherent to all 2017/2018 LG OLED panels so will affect Sony too. Stick to less compressed material where the issue will be harder to see since it will affect smaller pixels areas instead of the large patches of color that are common with higher compression.
It’s weird though I can play the same thing on my b7 and it shows way less noise in those areas. When the vid plays it will show the fizzing and micro blocking brighter but if I pause it looks less noticeable and More like the b7. They are replacing my power supply board and maybe main board tomorrow becasue of hissing noise and HDMI audio drop outs so I’ll see if that makes a change.

Last edited by Adamd; 09-06-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Sony BVM-X300?

No remote, manual signal format selection required, only 30", terrible audio support, priced like a nice car. Perfect.
nelamvr6 and mrtickleuk like this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #4563 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinaz View Post
A question regarding this setting - Dolby Vision Cinema (User):
I notice that the White Balance is set to “20 Points IRE” (with an IRE of 100, and no R/G/B adjustments), as opposed to “2 Points” (which is what Dolby Vision Cinema Home is set to). I have all of my other picture modes (Technicolor Expert, ISF Bright and ISF Dark) set to “2 Points”, with R/G/B adjustments, per my earlier settings.

So which is better/preferable/more accurate - 20 Points IRE or 2 Points? And what is the difference between the two?

At a very quick glance at the beginning of Jack Ryan, the skin tones seem slightly skewed towards red, vs. my other settings.

Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
At this point, I am not familiar with what these settings actually adjust. New to all this, and only have had TV for couple weeks, so leaving what I don't understand to 'default' values. Also, just made it to 200 hours, and trying to decide what picture modes look best to me. After that, probably dig deeper into settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4564 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 97
What to do about new video issue with OLED TV.

The 65C8 is a few days past the 90-day exchange period from Costco. They won't help me, when I asked about replacing it despite being a tad over 90 days.

PROBLEM: last week or two, when watching letter-boxed content, some of the time there is a white narrow (maybe 1-2mm) border horizontally and vertically on all four sides of the content. That is totally ruining the OLED solid black background experience. When I let it cool off and have tried to replicate it, it's not there, so I think it's related to when it's been on for a while. I'm letting it run for a few hours as I type this. My 55' OLED TV doesn't have any white lines around the same content (Ozark, to be specific, was where the issue was very noticeable last night), so I doubt it's content-related. Changing brightness makes no difference. Running my usual settings of bright=50, contrast towards full and OLED between 70-100, this issue is present. It is something I haven't seen the previous several months of daily viewing of similar content.

When Costco said I should call concierge service next, I'm wondering is there a point to doing that instead of going to LG?

Have any of you had thin white lines appear vertically and horizontally around letter boxed content? I'm not 100% confident that a fix is to turn OFF the Pixel shift feature, but I THINK that last night, in desperation, when I turned it OFF, the problem went away. don't quote me on that--just wondering out loud if there could be a connection, but that makes no sense to me, since it has been ON since June 1 when I set it up.

(No photos yet, as I'm waiting for the issue to return today, but it's daylight now (Calif) so not sure I could capture the problem in a photo)

LG OLED55B7 -LG OLED65C8 - Marantz NR1608

Last edited by dave1812dave; 09-06-2018 at 11:01 AM.
post #4565 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Wall mount with stand attached?

Does anyone know whether is in-advisable to have the 65" C8 wall-mounted with the stand attached?

You wonder, why on earth would someone want to do this?

1. My understanding is that the stand acts as a sort of waveguide for the down-firing speakers. We use a sound bar, but should we lose use of the sound bar and have to shop around for a new one, nice to have best sound in the meantime.

2. Should we have to take it down for some reason, nice to be able to just set it on the floor, rather than drag the box and Styrofoam out of the attic and then nooky it into the Styrofoam (and back out later). That partial box and Styrofoam is not very stable either...

3. Something to hold onto when moving it in and out on the articulating arm mount, not having to grab with hands anywhere near the screen.

4. There's about a 4"+ gap under the C8, between the bottom of the C8 and the top of the pre-pro, UPS, etc. sitting on the low-boy cabinet below it. (Said gap because the mounting holes on the C8 are so very low, and I did not have it in me to lower the heavy 2003-era Peerless articulating arm mount for 200 pound plasma TV's).

I don't think I would mind the look of it. But I do worry whether the VESA mounting hardware in the TV is designed around the 46 pound weight of the "naked" panel, and would the extra 10 pounds of stand stress something and cause the TV to fail prematurely.
post #4566 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan1234 View Post
Hey guys quick question about viewing angles on these OLEDs. Is it normal for even moderate changes in either horizontal or vertical viewing angle to slightly (but noticeably) change perception of tint/color, especially a reddish or greenish tint shift being noticeable?

I know that OLEDs are renowned for having much better viewing angles than LCDs in terms of brightness/black level. But I'm actually wondering now if IPS panels are actually better at preserving color tone with changes of viewing angle.

I notice red and blue color shifting on white screens at different horizontal viewing angles on the 65" C8.
dave1812dave likes this.
post #4567 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanb View Post
I notice red and blue color shifting on white screens at different horizontal viewing angles on the 65" C8.
Yeah after posting here I looked it up further and it does turn out to be just one of the disadvantages of OLED technology. Apparently it became something people complained about with the OLED screens on newer iPhones. In that context I can see how it would be more of an issue than on a TV display.
post #4568 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 4688 Post(s)
Liked: 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastano View Post
So does the Firmware .10 give any big improvements compared to my "Standard" .05 one? Do we have some Real Changelogs?
And the Korea Firmware really works on the EU/US TVs as well?
The Korean firmware does NOT work on EU models. But reportedly works on US models. The changelog is clearly there on the website page where you download it.

Quote:
The Amazon Prime app on the 2018 LG OLEDs is limited to 5.1 sound right? I see a lot of people talking in other threads about Jack Ryan in Atmos but I only see it in 5.1 non-Atmos.
There's a bug discussed sometime since the weekend, surprised you missed it, or my mind is playing tricks on me and it wasn't on this forum.

You can't change an option which you need to change (the Atmos output option), because it's greyed out when it shouldn't be.

This might not be your issue, but for anyone else with the problem please check this:
  • All settings -> Sound -> Sound out
  • Change to "Single sound out / Internal TV speaker"
  • Go back, and only now you can turn Dolby Atmos ON (the top option).
  • If it's already on, toggle it off then on
  • Now change Sound Out to Single Sound Out / HDMI ARC with Digital Sound Out "Auto"

I definitely get the Dolby Double on this TV with Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime from the built-in Prime App.

Result should be:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG Dolby Sound out.png
Views:	1612
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	2451696   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180831_202323138_HDR-Double-Dolby.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2451698  
waltinaz and SidBr0 like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #4569 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Does anyone know of a way to move 'live tv' input to inactive status in Webos?

Speaking of 'live tv' input's static noise, think that might be a good break-in selection to condition a new set?
post #4570 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
There's a bug discussed sometime since the weekend, surprised you missed it, or my mind is playing tricks on me and it wasn't on this forum.

You can't change an option which you need to change (the Atmos output option), because it's greyed out when it shouldn't be.

This might not be your issue, but for anyone else with the problem please check this:
  • Now change Sound Out to Single Sound Out / HDMI ARC with Digital Sound Out "Auto"

I definitely get the Dolby Double on this TV with Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime from the built-in Prime App.
Yes, thx, I'm aware, but I only get a DD+ 5.1 stream, but not Atmos. Same goes for Netflix, even though Netflix even actually states Atmos.
post #4571 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So annoyed that LG WebOS doesn't have HBOGo or HBONow.
post #4572 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
For the gamers, what are your go-to recommendations for jaw-dropping HDR games on your OLED?

I have a PC with a GTX 1080 that I play through an Nvidia Shield TV. Will be picking up a PS4 Pro around BF.

Going to try out Injustice 2 this weekend, but curious for other recommendations.
post #4573 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
The 65C8 is a few days past the 90-day exchange period from Costco. They won't help me, when I asked about replacing it despite being a tad over 90 days.

PROBLEM: last week or two, when watching letter-boxed content, some of the time there is a white narrow (maybe 1-2mm) border horizontally and vertically on all four sides of the content. That is totally ruining the OLED solid black background experience. When I let it cool off and have tried to replicate it, it's not there, so I think it's related to when it's been on for a while. I'm letting it run for a few hours as I type this. My 55' OLED TV doesn't have any white lines around the same content (Ozark, to be specific, was where the issue was very noticeable last night), so I doubt it's content-related. Changing brightness makes no difference. Running my usual settings of bright=50, contrast towards full and OLED between 70-100, this issue is present. It is something I haven't seen the previous several months of daily viewing of similar content.

When Costco said I should call concierge service next, I'm wondering is there a point to doing that instead of going to LG?

Have any of you had thin white lines appear vertically and horizontally around letter boxed content? I'm not 100% confident that a fix is to turn OFF the Pixel shift feature, but I THINK that last night, in desperation, when I turned it OFF, the problem went away. don't quote me on that--just wondering out loud if there could be a connection, but that makes no sense to me, since it has been ON since June 1 when I set it up.

(No photos yet, as I'm waiting for the issue to return today, but it's daylight now (Calif) so not sure I could capture the problem in a photo)
I noticed this (it was only one very thin white line) while watching different content and went to settings and then 16x9 and turned off Just Scan and the line disappeared. Turned it back on when I was watching another time an no line. I also saw a thin line once on the left side and turned of the pixel shift setting and that line disappeared also.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #4574 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbhur212 View Post
I noticed this (it was only one very thin white line) while watching different content and went to settings and then 16x9 and turned off Just Scan and the line disappeared. Turned it back on when I was watching another time an no line. I also saw a thin line once on the left side and turned of the pixel shift setting and that line disappeared also.
thanks for those ideas. To be clear, you turned OFF pixel shifting to stop the white line from appearing? I'm pinning my hopes on a simple fix to avoid calling LG and dealing with their nutty complaints that cell-phone photos of image issues don't "display any problems with your set" nonsense. I'm appalled at their attitude when one calls LG with an image issue.

There is no way to change aspect ratio when using the internal apps. It's set exclusively to "Original"

LG OLED55B7 -LG OLED65C8 - Marantz NR1608

Last edited by dave1812dave; 09-06-2018 at 02:11 PM.
post #4575 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPbuckwalter View Post
I don't have the C8 anymore, but from what I can remember, it did nothing at all in game mode. I think maybe the decontouring filter was the same in that way. Logo dimming worked really well in the other picture modes, noticeably dimming bright HUD elements such as the health bars in Tekken 7. But then you're stuck with ~50ms latency versus 21ms, which is quite noticeable. Unfortunately, it seems that games where the low latency of game mode is almost a necessity are ones that are also likely to feature a mandatory, often brightly-colored HUD.

Hopefully someone else can confirm this for you. If not, I have an e8 coming tomorrow, so I should be able to test this out in a few days.

Thank you!

Even with the 50ms latency, I guess that's better than dealing with the worry of burn-in. I guess the input lag won't matter much for single player games like Spider-Man, RDR 2, etc.

You're right, those that require low latency are the ones that have the HUD constantly-- Destiny 2 etc.

I hope LG implements the feature in the Game mode as well via an update. It's baffling why other companies like Sony haven't incorporated this.

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
post #4576 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 4688 Post(s)
Liked: 6958
I don't have any reason to believe it would ever appear in Game Mode. That mode is designed to sacrifice picture processing to achieve a low input lag. Logo detection and fading is a large amount (relatively) of picture processing, and one of the first things to be struck off the list!
srinivas1015 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #4577 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalder19 View Post
That looks crazy. Is it just any brightness pattern that can show this..and do you have to bring brightness up high to see this (im assumimg thats the brightness slider in the photo, i couldn't read it). This looks like a defect that'd be immediately noticeable on regular content..did you really need a pattern to see it?
Of course I noticed in regular programming, that's why I used the pattern to have proof of the defect, but this is not so self evident in regular programming as it might appear. There is no stain on the panel. Depending on the image a less demanding viewer will not notice it. Crushing and bleeding happened in blacks and browns. To get the stain on the pattern you have to raise the brightness. The stain disappears if you lower it (But to put the brightness on the right level you had to set it over 55). That's why I compared with the issue mentioned by the other poster.

Samsung UN78HU9000GXZD / Marantz SR8012 / B&W 705 S2 + HTM71 S2 Front + B&W DB4S sub + Polk Audio Monitor 30 Back
LG OLED 65C8PSA / Marantz SR6013 / B&W CM1 S2 + CM Center S2 Front + Jamo J10 sub + NHT SuperZeros 2.1 Back
LG OLED 55EA9850 / Yamaha Soundbar YSP 2700
post #4578 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat007 View Post
Watched first episode of 'Jack Ryan' on my C8 last night. Wow...quite impressive. I ran it with the default Dolby Vision settings and did not have to adjust anything.
What does not look good ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwal_j View Post
I noticed the problem on the first day while playing a movie in 4K Dolby Vision with the default Home Cinema picture setting, the movie black bars were perfectly black on the right side of the screen but greyish and waving on the left side of the panel, I first think about a source defect, so I changed movie, HDMI cable, player... but still got the issue, am I asking too much from this OLED panel or can I hope for a "not perfect" but better experience once replaced ?
I would say that is on the worse end of things, you should wait a little bit if you can to see if it settles in. I would suggest leaving it on HBO or something like that 24-7 see what happens in the next few days.
post #4579 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Here the new firmware changelog

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
post #4580 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Ok, how the hell do I get rid of this "No Signal" message in Gallery mode?

I mean, DUH, there's no signal, which is why Gallery mode kicked in. If I choose an input that has a signal, then I don't get Gallery mode!

What am I missing here...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

________

LG OLED 77C8PUA...stunning!
LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W
post #4581 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinaz View Post
Ok, how the hell do I get rid of this "No Signal" message in Gallery mode?

I mean, DUH, there's no signal, which is why Gallery mode kicked in. If I choose an input that has a signal, then I don't get Gallery mode!

What am I missing here...?

You can’t as that is normal and part of the screen saver but if you want to view the picture gallery use the gallery app from the tv.
waltinaz likes this.

LG C9 & UB9000
LG C8 & UB820
Denon AVR, SVS Prime Elevation, HSU Subwoofer, Klipsch Reference
post #4582 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborn007 View Post
You can’t as that is normal and part of the screen saver but if you want to view the picture gallery use the gallery app from the tv.

LOL...thanks! I knew it must be something simple. I did not realize there was an actual Gallery app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

________

LG OLED 77C8PUA...stunning!
LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W
post #4583 of 21055 Old 09-06-2018, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
The Korean firmware does NOT work on EU models. But reportedly works on US models. The changelog is clearly there on the website page where you download it.

Result should be:

Unfortunately the Dolby double does not show up for me in the Amazon Prime app in the TV for Jack Ryan - while it does show up while watching the show on my Apple TV 4K. Any ideas how I can rectify that? Thank you
post #4584 of 21055 Old 09-07-2018, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I would assume installing unsupported firmware voids the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpickem View Post
Here the new firmware changelog

post #4585 of 21055 Old 09-07-2018, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
I would assume installing unsupported firmware voids the warranty.
Takes LG FOREVER!!!!!!! to post a firmware update on USA website - Us 7 series owners were updating from the Korean website last year and installed several before LG USA finally posted an update on 6/20/18 which was 6 1/2 months after previous update. The Korean website (where LG is) had updates on 3/17/18 & 5/11/18.

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #4586 of 21055 Old 09-07-2018, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
It’s weird though I can play the same thing on my b7 and it shows way less noise in those areas. When the vid plays it will show the fizzing and micro blocking brighter but if I pause it looks less noticeable and More like the b7. They are replacing my power supply board and maybe main board tomorrow becasue of hissing noise and HDMI audio drop outs so I’ll see if that makes a change.
I'm interested in your return.
post #4587 of 21055 Old 09-07-2018, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Is yours the 77C8? Mine hisses/buzzes on darker screens and wondered if that’s why you were getting your PSU replaced? Thx.

post #4588 of 21055 Old 09-07-2018, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just finished watching Blade Runner 2049 and Thor Ragnarok on 4k Bluray and they looked absolutely stunning! Didnt notice any issues with dark scenes in blade runner as some people had.

The C8 is just an absolute joy to own.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #4589 of 21055 Old 09-07-2018, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post
Is yours the 77C8? Mine hisses/buzzes on darker screens and wondered if that’s why you were getting your PSU replaced? Thx.

Yes it’s a 77c8 and yes it’s because of the buzzing and hissing it drives me nuts.
post #4590 of 21055 Old 09-07-2018, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Yes it’s a 77c8 and yes it’s because of the buzzing and hissing it drives me nuts.

Thanks. Yeah sounds like mine. I’m going to get my PSU swapped out hopefully but I have to wait till I’ve had the TV for 30 days, otherwise LG will only swap out the TV. My uniformity is so good I don’t want to risk a panel lottery. Please let us know how you get on and hope it sorts it for you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page