2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 198 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81139Likes

post #5911 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
Are you talking about turning "dimmer" to off and "HDR Module" to on in the Service Menu? I don't understand what these things do. You can't disable ABL.

No not ABL,but ASBL. I dont have the annoying dimming anymore that kicks in after 2 minutes on my desktop PC while being active or watching CNN for example after changing those 2 settings + TCP OFF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5912 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise666 View Post
I dont understand why people still complain while the solution is right on this page. go to the service menu and change those 3 things. Piece of cake.
I dont have ASBL dimming anymore and the scene from the Punisher also doesnt dim anymore.
I understand as for example I just bought the 65" C8 2 days ago with 5 year on-site warranty and for sure I don´t want to lose it. I still have the old software and have turner the auto update off but would like to know if this new ABLS will stay (planned) or get fixed (bug).

LG OLED C8 65" + Genelec 2.1
post #5913 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 6
My problem is that LG is trying to have its cake and eat it too. Not only is it gimping the TV by forcing dimming, it is also not honoring warranty claims for burn in. Pick one or the other. If you want to let people run their TVs freely without automated dimming, then maybe you can deny warranty claims for burn in and call it a user problem. But if you're going to gimp the TV by enforcing dimming, then you can't blame owners for burn in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5914 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does anyone have any idea what hdr module does I don’t want to turn off the dimmer because that disables the Oled light
post #5915 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetalhead55 View Post
Does anyone have any idea what hdr module does I don’t want to turn off the dimmer because that disables the Oled light

What exactly does turning off the dimmer do?
post #5916 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:04 AM

I was reading the German forums where they said turning of dimmer disables the oled light and where leaving hdr module to on messes with the colors or something they were literally using this thread they seem as lost as we are with the new update
post #5917 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:05 AM

But if turning her module on and tcp off fixes the dimming I may just have to do it cause this dimming is just not for me
post #5918 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
no its not its bs and looks terrible literally just go to youtube type in hdr and look at one of those island videos and it looks like a mess going in and out constantly idk what they were thinking
Can you give me an example of a YouTube video tha doesn't look right with the new firmware? I tried watching this HDR10 video and it still looks amazing using the internal YouTube app on the TV:
post #5919 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
What exactly does turning off the dimmer do?
It seens to set OLED Light to 100 and disables OLED Light slider functionality and it I think it disables dimming overall .

HDR Module set to "On" instead of "Normal" seems to increase peak luminance (also on SDR mode- it brightens the screen)

TV : LG OLED 65C8 [U]
post #5920 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinaz View Post
. It is now under: Home -> scroll down -> Included with Prime: TV Genres -> select Prime 4K Ultra-HD TV...then there are four top-level categories: Prime 4K Ultra HD Prime Movie, Prime 4K Ultra HD TV, 4K Ultra HD TV, 4K Ultra HD Movies.

What’s frustrating is that The Man in the High Castle is NOT listed in this new section, and I cannot find the HDR version referenced above in the library; only the DD 5.1, HD version. Unless I’m missing something...

No idea why Amazon Video makes this so difficult. Let me know if others are seeing this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi. My experience was similar. Following your path to UHD I found The Man in the High Castle - Season 2 in UHD, selected that, then moved up to Seasons, then selected Season 3 which was in UHD. Immediately after selecting an episode the HDR logo appeared in the upper right corner off my C8. As my internet speed is borderline for UHD HDR it took a few seconds for the video to fully engage to UHD.

And, I agree. The Man in the High Castle is one of my favorites, too!
mrtickleuk likes this.

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
post #5921 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2018 View Post
It seens to set OLED Light to 100 and disables OLED Light slider functionality and it I think it disables dimming overall .

HDR Module set to "On" instead of "Normal" seems to increase peak luminance (also on SDR mode- it brightens the screen)
that does not sound good for sdr viewing sounds like burn in waiting to happen would you be able to turn this on and off lets say your watching an netflix show in hdr then flip it off but it your just watching sdr then leave it on
post #5922 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
It sets Oled Light to 100 and disables Oled Light slider functionality and it I think it disables dimming overall .

If disabling "Dimmer" in Service Menu sets OLED Light to 100 at all times, and disables "OLED Light" slider, that seems like a bad idea. But even doing this doesn't disable ABL? Because ABL supposedly can't be disabled under any circumstances (barring lowering the OLED Light to a level where it won't come on at all).

HDR Module to "On" instead of "Normal" tricks the TV into putting HDR settings in SDR? This kinda seems like a bad idea too- no idea how that will affect colors, motion, brightness, etc.

But honestly if either one of them effectively disables ABL it may be worth the risk as long as you use your TV responsibly. ABL is that annoying (to me).
post #5923 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm kinda worried, guys. Please tell me it's the app and not the tv.

When I watch Better Call Saul on Netflix, in dark scenes (where there is a lot of black especially) I see flashes of light directly from the darkest part of it. Yesterday I saw it a lot in the last episode (4x10) in the scene with Mike and Ziegler under the stars (you know what I mean if you saw the episode, LoL). And also in the underground scene with Gus and Gale.

This doesn't happen with Ozark, for instance. Then I tried other tv shows too. I tried Daredevil, a scene in an episode with a lot of black, like true black (it was in a confessional with a priest), and thang God no flashes of light). Then I tried Stranger Things and I get the lights. Why? =(
post #5924 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 3174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egidio Concas View Post
I'm kinda worried, guys. Please tell me it's the app and not the tv.

When I watch Better Call Saul on Netflix, in dark scenes (where there is a lot of black especially) I see flashes of light directly from the darkest part of it. Yesterday I saw it a lot in the last episode (4x10) in the scene with Mike and Ziegler under the stars (you know what I mean if you saw the episode, LoL). And also in the underground scene with Gus and Gale.

This doesn't happen with Ozark, for instance. Then I tried other tv shows too. I tried Daredevil, a scene in an episode with a lot of black, like true black (it was in a confessional with a priest), and thang God no flashes of light). Then I tried Stranger Things and I get the lights. Why? =(

This same thing happens on my Samsung LCD - its the content, not even the app since I see this using DTV. Just a very crappy feed.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #5925 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
I think the latest firmware update (or possibly app updates) broke Vudu and Netflix (to a lesser degree) for me. Vudu won't play any DV titles at all for me now, it just freezes on the loading screen when I click to play a rented title. Vudu through ATV4K is fine.
Netflix plays but it will start buffering quite often now, and the buffering is very slow and never really recovers. I aways have to exit out and resume playing again and that starts up fairly fast.
It is definitely not my internet connection (gigabit), ATV seems to be fine for both Netflix and Vudu.
I tried what others suggested, i.e. unplug for 10-15 seconds and plug back in, uninstall and reinstall application. Doesn't seem to help.

Any other suggestions?

I'm not using the latest firmware and I get that with Netflix. Was trying to watch luke cage last night and every 10-15 minutes it would stop and try to buffer. I would stop playing and resume right away and it started right up. Also on gigabit connection and hardwired to the tv. I'm just assuming its crappy built in apps that every tv has.
post #5926 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Coane View Post
I noticed dimming in the punisher before the latest update. I had been installing firmware from the korean site so it's possible something changed in an earlier version, but this is the first to release in America.

Notice it in episode 8 of punisher on Netflix. 25 mins in. Dolby Vision.
Can really feel it when it cuts back and fourth.
Running the latest US firmware, 65C8P - my TV has been calibrated using autocal.

I tried Punisher S1E8, 25 minutes in - and didn't notice any dimming during camera switches.

I do notice slight dimming but something I wouldn't have noticed unless I was looking for it on Punisher S1E6, around 42-44 minutes.

The worst I have seen so far is from Amazon Prime Video's the Grand Tour S1E1 in UltraHD HDR at 30:30 in, during Conversation Street where they switch cameras between the extremely bright "window" from the tent to a camera where the window isn't visible, I do notice dimming - but again if I wasn't specifically looking for it, I'm not sure I would notice it. On my TV, it only occurs for less than a second and seems most noticeable when going from a bright scene to a dim scene, the screen dims the picture real quick.

I'd be interested in seeing if someone who hasn't updated their firmware does not have the issue at all.

Last edited by LiQiCE; 10-10-2018 at 09:41 AM.
post #5927 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I was reading the German forums where they said turning of dimmer disables the oled light and where leaving hdr module to on messes with the colors or something they were literally using this thread they seem as lost as we are with the new update

I dont see anything weird with the colours with hdr module on.
by the way after aplying the 3 changes to the settings everything was fine,no more dimming.
Then i turned off the tv for 2 hours,and when i put it back on it seemed like the tv reversed the settings i made because the dimming was back. Really weird.

It was still set to TCP OFF, hdr module ON and dimming OFF, but i had to re enable the settings i changed before shutting down the tv and then it worked again, no more dimming.
So i have to do this every time i turn on the tv because the service menu doesnt remember my settings??
post #5928 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
This same thing happens on my Samsung LCD - its the content, not even the app since I see this using DTV. Just a very crappy feed.

Okay. I'm much more at ease now...Thanks, LoL.
post #5929 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
You guys are a lot braver than I am entering the SM (where you shouldn't be in the first place) and making adjustments. SM features and accessibility may change with subsequent firmware updates so what works this week, may brick your tv after a future update. I don't see any issues yet with then new update, and least none that I have noticed.
elphillips likes this.
post #5930 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I dont see anything weird with the colours with hdr module on.
by the way after aplying the 3 changes to the settings everything was fine,no more dimming.
Then i turned off the tv for 2 hours,and when i put it back on it seemed like the tv reversed the settings i made because the dimming was back. Really weird.

It was still set to TCP OFF, hdr module ON and dimming OFF, but i had to re enable the settings i changed before shutting down the tv and then it worked again, no more dimming.
So i have to do this every time i turn on the tv because the service menu doesnt remember my settings??

Wait, are you saying that turning Dimming OFF disables ABL completely...? I didn't think that was possible.
post #5931 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 AM

^ No,i'm talking about the annoying dimming that kicks in after 2 minutes (ASBL) while being active on my PC and watching CNN for example.
post #5932 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
^ No,i'm talking about the annoying dimming that kicks in after 2 minutes (ASBL) while being active on my PC and watching CNN for example.

Doesn't just turning TPC off do that?
post #5933 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Doesn't just turning TPC off do that?

Thats whats being told in the other thread about ASBL, but it didnt work for my appletv and firetv, only on my pc with hdr in windows pc enabled.
Now with changing these other 2 settings nothing is dimmed anymore. And PC doesnt matter now if its hdr enabled or not.
post #5934 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
If disabling "Dimmer" in Service Menu sets OLED Light to 100 at all times, and disables "OLED Light" slider, that seems like a bad idea. But even doing this doesn't disable ABL? Because ABL supposedly can't be disabled under any circumstances (barring lowering the OLED Light to a level where it won't come on at all).

HDR Module to "On" instead of "Normal" tricks the TV into putting HDR settings in SDR? This kinda seems like a bad idea too- no idea how that will affect colors, motion, brightness, etc.

But honestly if either one of them effectively disables ABL it may be worth the risk as long as you use your TV responsibly. ABL is that annoying (to me).
All I can say , disabling Dimming in SM and switching Module HDR -"ON" is awesome! I think disabling Dimming is also increasing peak luminance beyond 100 OLED LIGHT. Just watched X-Men Apocalypse 4K and it was so bright (4k HDR) that I had to lower contrast (watching in dark room) +disable Dynamic Tone mapping (because it was so bright even without it) and colors looked great as always. The only think I am afraid is damaging the display cause it seems to really push the panel to its maximum (I also checked if the TV was getting warmer but it was cool and fine, no heating) .

Of course I wouldn't recommend turning those features on when watching stuff with static logos.

For SDR sources , you need to lower contrast .

Last edited by Dreamer2018; 10-10-2018 at 11:12 AM.
post #5935 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
All I can say , disabling Dimming in SM and switching Module HDR -"ON" is awesome! I think disabling Dimming is also increasing peak luminance beyond 100 OLED LIGHT. Just watched X-Men Apocalypse 4K and it was so bright (4k HDR) that I had to lower contrast (watching in dark room) +disable Dynamic Tone mapping (because it was so bright even without it) and colors looked great as always. The only think I am afraid is damaging the display cause it seems to really push the panel to its maximum .

Increases peak luminance, but still doesn't disable ABL, right? So you can have incredibly bright scenes, beyond OLED Light 100, but ABL will still kick it down to dim sometimes?

What do you mean by "For SDR sources, you need to lower contrast"? Why?
post #5936 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
All I can say , disabling Dimming in SM and switching Module HDR -"ON" is awesome! I think disabling Dimming is also increasing peak luminance beyond 100 OLED LIGHT. Just watched X-Men Apocalypse 4K and it was so bright (4k HDR) that I had to lower contrast (watching in dark room) +disable Dynamic Tone mapping (because it was so bright even without it) and colors looked great as always. The only think I am afraid is damaging the display cause it seems to really push the panel to its maximum .

yes haha it looks fantastic. THIS is how you should get this tv delivered,not that dimming bull****,what a joke.

By the way, why dont you just lower your contrast for your HDR content if your worried about burn in. I will lower it i think.
post #5937 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
yes haha it looks fantastic. THIS is how you should get this tv delivered,not that dimming bull****,what a joke.

By the way, why dont you just lower your contrast for your HDR content if your worried about burn in. I will lower it i think.
I lowered Contrast to 82 and disabled Dynamic Tone mapping also because it was so bright. It could be great if someone could try turning those features ON and measure peak luminance … I don't have measurement equipment

Quote:
Increases peak luminance, but still doesn't disable ABL, right? So you can have incredibly bright scenes, beyond OLED Light 100, but ABL will still kick it down to dim sometimes?

What do you mean by "For SDR sources, you need to lower contrast"? Why?

I didn't notice ABL kicking in … It didn't dim on very bright scenes (and X-Men has lots of bright scenes for +1 min ) even on scenes where the whole screen was bright for quite some time (there were also white frames and it didn't dim).

You can try it and disable it easly ( however I can't recommend it since I don't know its implications over time).

Lowering or increasing OLED LIGHT does nothing when Dimming is OFF and the screen is "stuck" on maximum luminance (maximum Oled Light) and it affects both HDR and SDR modes , therefore, you can only reduce the luminance by lowering "Contrast" to hit 130nits for SDR content

Last edited by Dreamer2018; 10-10-2018 at 11:55 AM.
post #5938 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post
I'm not using the latest firmware and I get that with Netflix. Was trying to watch luke cage last night and every 10-15 minutes it would stop and try to buffer. I would stop playing and resume right away and it started right up. Also on gigabit connection and hardwired to the tv. I'm just assuming its crappy built in apps that every tv has.
Well my older LG 4K (non-HDR) set running an older webOS has no such issues. And I was watching a lot of Netflix and some Vudu prior to the latest update and didn't have this issue then either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQiCE View Post
Running the latest US firmware, 65C8P - my TV has been calibrated using autocal.

I tried Punisher S1E8, 25 minutes in - and didn't notice any dimming during camera switches.

I do notice slight dimming but something I wouldn't have noticed unless I was looking for it on Punisher S1E6, around 42-44 minutes.

The worst I have seen so far is from Amazon Prime Video's the Grand Tour S1E1 in UltraHD HDR at 30:30 in, during Conversation Street where they switch cameras between the extremely bright "window" from the tent to a camera where the window isn't visible, I do notice dimming - but again if I wasn't specifically looking for it, I'm not sure I would notice it. On my TV, it only occurs for less than a second and seems most noticeable when going from a bright scene to a dim scene, the screen dims the picture real quick.

I'd be interested in seeing if someone who hasn't updated their firmware does not have the issue at all.
Sounds like @MikeAlletto is our guy Care to try this Mike?
post #5939 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Well my older LG 4K (non-HDR) set running an older webOS has no such issues. And I was watching a lot of Netflix and some Vudu prior to the latest update and didn't have this issue then either.

Sounds like @MikeAlletto is our guy Care to try this Mike?
Absolutely, but probably won't happen till friday night or later this weekend but I will check it out.
TallCoolOne likes this.
post #5940 of 22268 Old 10-10-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5088 Post(s)
Liked: 7414
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Strangely, the amazon prime app for Canada doesn't do that, you get the best quality for any show you pick. I have no idea why the US version is so stupidly designed. It's still impossible to find anything in a useful way, but at least that artificial split isn't there. So someone at amazon prime has a slight clue, but apparently not all of them.
That's very encouraging. I'm not in America but I hope that a proper sensible system makes it way across the whole world soon. I'm not holding my breath though; Amazon is impervious to bug reports and feedback.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page