2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81491Likes

post #6301 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 3190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm Stadermann View Post
@RBO , thank you for testing again. The Grand Tour would be on Amazon Prime, it is not on netflix. Are you on amazon too?
Btw, your HDR settings seem to be a little strange. The general recommendation for HDR is the setting OLED Light 100 and Contrast 100. Otherwise the literally "high dynamic" is unnecessarily cut. Lowering OLED Light or Contrast leads to cut specular highlights as well. The high range is actually the basic sense of HDR. Maybe you could try it out.
@calfcramp , all in all would you see the .06 FW as an improvement considering the delayed dimming and undimming issue?
Last year's settings for the B/C7 did not recommend maxing out your backlight at 100 - not even close. I have found that for the most part these work well for my C8. If you had a pro calibration done on your display that would be verified - light output setting lower. Here are the settings that a lot of last year's owners have been using, personally I don't need my OLED Light at 70 - even with the lights on it can induce the need to wear sunglasses

While the Technicolor and ISF expert modes measure well out-of-the-box; to get the most out of your display you need to go that calibration route. Now that I have 2, once the holidays pass I plan to get DNice over for a visit and hopefully get a discount. I suspect that some of your dimming issues you are seeing with HDR have to do with the fact you're essentially watching your display in vivid mode. Even my Samsung LCD will jump around if I jack up the backlight to its max on HDR content.

HDR10 Settings
HDR-10 Picture Mode: technicolor Expert

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 70 ( This will vary depending what nit levels the content was mastered as well as room brightness. There’s not really a way to know the mastered nit levels of any given title without a Lumagen which can read the metadata. So this is really a “how does it look to you” kind of thing. 70 seems to be a “happy" medium )
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 55
Tint: 0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( default and greyed out )
RBO likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
There are many 77" user now with the price drop.......Very few complaints. What you are talking about would have to be confirmed with meter's and that has not been done that I know off....I would say there is a case of speculation out there unless some tests where done that I do not know about with meter's?

And if there is an issue - because more than a few of us do not have this problem - I have no doubt LG will address it quickly. They have a solid history of delivering meaningful firmware updates over the last few years. Stay off this thread Chris, I'm not ready for a 77" yet
waltinaz and Jimi Jo Jake like this.

Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #6303 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
If you want to trigger ASBL just watch the first episode of The Haunting of Hill House. It will gradually dim down during the first dark scene. It's hard to notice because it happens very gradually but at one point you're gonna be like "why are blacks suddenly so crushed??".

Yeah, the last episode is pretty bad as well. It takes place almost entirely in the house at night, and the picture gets super dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6304 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
Yeah, the last episode is pretty bad as well. It takes place almost entirely in the house at night, and the picture gets super dark.
They must have changed something then. I've heard that Dolby Vision libraries are sometimes updated. Because I got a 4 minutes into the first episode of Haunting of Hill House and didn't notice any black crush. It's very washed out and lacking true blacks.
post #6305 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just don't get members who don't respect that this is an owner's thread, not the let's give my opinion on a display I don't own, jump in and talk about the C7 (don't they have their own thread? Just when I thought I'd left that bacon at home), or used a post on Twitter to question whether to buy one or not. I came from two great plasmas, don't miss them for a minute. Too many things that OLED does well that plasma can't do.

All of the owner threads on both display forums have turned into a total mess IMO. I've been on AVS for a while and have never seen them get so cluttered with posts from non-owners, alternate display/brand fans, etc. AVS Mods need to step in and get them back on track or they will start losing those of us who've been part of this forum for a long time. I really feel for the Sony AF9 and ZF9 owners, I'm guessing about 80% of the posts on their threads are from non-owners who seem to be more concerned with bashing them vs. pointing out the improvements Sony has made with its new OLED/LCD. Plus they've only been out for less than a month. I can't think of a display that didn't need a few updates to get it really looking good.

If you want to talk about purchase decisions, start a new thread, I mean that nicely and I have no doubt you'll get more replies than you care for
SL600 likes this.

post #6306 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Depends on what you value. C8 upscales better, offers a slightly brighter image and does a better job with near black detail. I am not going to run out and replace my C7 since I use it almost exclusively with 1080p and 4k sources only, but the C8 is an improvement from the C7 IMO. More importantly, my C8's uniformity is better. I think this year's panels are an improvement from last year or I just got lucky when I picked my panel from the 4 that were available for sale

you changed 4 c8 ?
post #6307 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Last year's settings for the B/C7 did not recommend maxing out your backlight at 100 - not even close. I have found that for the most part these work well for my C8. If you had a pro calibration done on your display that would be verified - light output setting lower. Here are the settings that a lot of last year's owners have been using, personally I don't need my OLED Light at 70 - even with the lights on it can induce the need to wear sunglasses

While the Technicolor and ISF expert modes measure well out-of-the-box; to get the most out of your display you need to go that calibration route. Now that I have 2, once the holidays pass I plan to get DNice over for a visit and hopefully get a discount. I suspect that some of your dimming issues you are seeing with HDR have to do with the fact you're essentially watching your display in vivid mode. Even my Samsung LCD will jump around if I jack up the backlight to its max on HDR content.

HDR10 Settings
HDR-10 Picture Mode: technicolor Expert

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 70 ( This will vary depending what nit levels the content was mastered as well as room brightness. There’s not really a way to know the mastered nit levels of any given title without a Lumagen which can read the metadata. So this is really a “how does it look to you” kind of thing. 70 seems to be a “happy" medium )
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 55
Tint: 0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( default and greyed out )

Thank you for your reply. I will try that out. What do you think about Dolby Vision (ootb it is 50/100). Keep it that way?
post #6308 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm on the korean firmware 03.01.10, thinking about updating to the new korean FW 04.10.06, but afraid it will introduce the dimming issues that people here were getting with the Western .05 FW. Has anyone tried this .06 firmware that could report any issues/fixes?

From the Google translated patch notes I can only gather that this update fixes a bug related to Store Mode.
post #6309 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So i jumped that fence today and bought 55c8. Unfortunately, when i turned it on i found a dark spot that is visible on gray screens (youtbe app, for example) (since im new cant link pictures). Right now im doing pixel refreshner (read somewhere that helps) but do you think this should be returned or will it dissappear?
post #6310 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
There’s not really a way to know the mastered nit levels of any given title without a Lumagen which can read the metadata.
The HDfury Vertex will give you all of that info and even more than the Lumagen Pro. Plus the Vertex will also read a DV disc, Lumagen can not.

btw, my 77C8 I have had for about 30 days has a very clean screen, very life like colors, very detailed PQ, then add to all of that the viewing area is about 40% larger than the 65C8.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.

Last edited by sillysally; 10-16-2018 at 11:20 AM.
post #6311 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
Question for folks who see dimming: Which Picture Mode are you using when you see dimming?

Might be important, might not.

LeRoy
I'm seeing it when viewing content in dolby vision, using Cinema Home. I have the 65 inch C8, and on the .05 firmware. Please LG, fix this!
post #6312 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
All I know is that when I woke up, that one time, it was dim as heck. I asap went into the service menu with the LG service remote and it was off, I turned it back to on it got bright, then back off, it got dark, then back on, and it was bright again! This tv can so be a pia. It just looks so good, with 4k brays and hdr games, it's worth for me to keep it. It's annoying so much to exit a ps4 game back to the Ps4 menu and its pitch dark, but in the game, it's perfect. Same as for the Xbox One X. I upgraded yesterday to 04.10.06 and the brightness got a little worse. The desktop issues went away for me. Occasionally, I will see for a split second brightness shift on these forums. Other than that, the desktop is good. Now in games and movies after the update, the brightness shift is a lot more subtle, but happens a lot more! Like I stated a few pages back, these Tv's are built with the same electronic base setup, but because the tech isn't perfected yet, Oled's can be the same to way different. My two cents anyways. I have had brightness issues since day one with this tv, I have 1300 hours on it. I have got to a point where I keep custom settings for each input and HDR input on the same input for many different things I do and watch. Like 4k brays, depending on the bray, I can have like up to 3 settings, etc. It's a royal pain, but I can live with it. No way, I will ever go back to led\lcd, etc. Most, I have memorized already!
What would you say, is the FW 4.10.06 all in all an improvment regarding the delayed dimming and undimming issue? I would really appreciate your opinon. Thanks in advance.
post #6313 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan1234 View Post
I'm on the korean firmware 03.01.10, thinking about updating to the new korean FW 04.10.06, but afraid it will introduce the dimming issues that people here were getting with the Western .05 FW. Has anyone tried this .06 firmware that could report any issues/fixes?

From the Google translated patch notes I can only gather that this update fixes a bug related to Store Mode.

There is no dimming issue introduced, it is there with the 3.x firmware also. I'm on the 3.x firmware and see it when looking for it.
post #6314 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
If you want to trigger ASBL just watch the first episode of The Haunting of Hill House. It will gradually dim down during the first dark scene. It's hard to notice because it happens very gradually but at one point you're gonna be like "why are blacks suddenly so crushed??".
C8 65 inch here. I can confirm very noticeable dimming watching "The Haunting of Hill House" (Great show BTW). It's a horror themed show so it has a lot of dark scenes throughout. Some are nearly unwatchable because of this. Why do they need to dim dark scenes that have little or no bright sections or highlights?
post #6315 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by felang View Post
C8 65 inch here. I can confirm very noticeable dimming watching "The Haunting of Hill House" (Great show BTW). It's a horror themed show so it has a lot of dark scenes throughout. Some are nearly unwatchable because of this. Why do they need to dim dark scenes that have little or no bright sections or highlights?
Something is definitely amiss with Haunting of Hill House on my C8 65". Fired up Ozark and it's black fades into the bezel. Let Haunting of Hill House episode 1 play for about 6-7 minutes the first few scenes are all grey and washed out. I dont notice dimming of dark areas at all.
post #6316 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I will try that out. What do you think about Dolby Vision (ootb it is 50/100). Keep it that way?

Cinema User and enjoy the show. In the end folks have different tastes, but I really enjoy DV and don't want to risk making tweaks that may not be in the pictures best interest. A forum member has been sharing some advanced DV settings via USB (its an executable file that has to be loaded to get them to work) on the C7 thread that seem to be getting a lot of love. I'm not one for sharing calibrations, but hard to argue with the results. Hopefully as more folks get C8's we will see more suggestions on settings and deeper tweaks that may enhance things even more.

post #6317 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked: 3873
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
Guys... I honestly don't understand why you need to be so defensive. I have a healthy *like* for OLED, I've never owned an LCD television in my life. I just mentioned that reading that article was scary, not that the TV is scary, crap or anything even remotely similar. I'm not attacking you personally, you should take it easy. I'm here to understand and learn stuff, as I've always done on AVS. Nothing more. Enjoy your C8s, I'm sure I would do the same. But since money doesn't grow on trees, I try to be very careful in how I spend it. Just

My comment wasn't directed at you...however being scared to buy a product is a bit much imo...if you don't like what you see return...too easy.
post #6318 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
The HDfury Vertex will give you all of that info and even more than the Lumagen Pro. Plus the Vertex will also read a DV disc, Lumagen can not.

btw, my 77C8 I have had for about 30 days has a very clean screen, very life like colors, very detailed PQ, then add to all of that the viewing area is about 40% larger than the 65C8.

ss

Not my quote, have never owned a Lumagen Pro, but I did have a HDFury device which was sold a year ago. Glad you're enjoying the 77".

post #6319 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post
There is no dimming issue introduced, it is there with the 3.x firmware also. I'm on the 3.x firmware and see it when looking for it.
Oh really? Maybe I should try downgrading since I heard that only the 4.x firmware blocks downgrades. Does anyone have a link to older firmwares that didn't have these issues?
post #6320 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 86
LG is annoying with their firmware updates that has agressive dimming, but why dont you all justchange the settings in the service menu? then there is no dimming anymore.
Or am i missing something?
TCP off for ASBL and to make the ABL less agressive you need to put DIMMER to OFF,right?
post #6321 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
You need to download the HTML manual, the following link gives you a zip file which contains everything. You then browse it through your regular browser by starting from userguide.html (you need to unzip all the files in a directory of your choice).
http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile...JUKKNlSXzblbyw

This was helpful information for me also. But while I was able to download the HTML manual, and unzip it, when I try to open the userguide,html with Safari or Chrome on my Mac, it gives me a page to select the language (English, etc.), but nothing happens when I click English. I think that's my language. Maybe they're trying to tell me something?

Anyone else having this issue? I know you can also access the user guide directly from the LG website, but it would be nice to keep a direct link on my desktop.
post #6322 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise666 View Post
LG is annoying with their firmware updates that has agressive dimming, but why dont you all justchange the settings in the service menu? then there is no dimming anymore.
TCP off for ASBL and to make the ABL less agressive you need to put DIMMER to OFF,right?
To my eyes all this does is crank up OLED light to the max, making ABL transitions even more obvious.
post #6323 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
To my eyes all this does is crank up OLED light to the max, making ABL transitions even more obvious.

I dont use Dimmer off myself, but i use the TCP OFFand HDR module ON and put oledlight to 100 and contrast to 40. Only way to get rid of the ASBL dimming on my desktop PC here
post #6324 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I dont use Dimmer off myself, but i use the TCP OFFand HDR module ON and put oledlight to 100 and contrast to 40. Only way to get rid of the ASBL dimming on my desktop PC here
But doesn't HDR module on for SDR content result in incorrect colors, and perhaps other picture quality factors too?

I tried it once and I thought it looked good, and then I realized it was kind of like when you see Vivid mode at first, it impresses you and then you realize everything is messed up.
post #6325 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
post #6326 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 01:23 PM

Also keeping OLED light at 100 is effectively like having dimmer off. The contrast low at something like 40 just masks it.

Feels like LG/OLED in 2018 is forcing us to live with either a constantly dim picture or a bright picture that dims annoyingly due to ABL or both ABL and ABSL.
post #6327 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I thing it is enough to set the "HDR Module" to on (instead of "normal") . The other two settings you don´t need. In different forums I have read three independent confirmations, that it turns off the delayed dimming and undimming. My only problem: I am not sure to what extend I threaten my warranty. Will I void the warranty only by entering service menu, even if I do not brick anything? Does anybody know?
post #6328 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
But doesn't HDR module on for SDR content result in incorrect colors, and perhaps other picture quality factors too?

I tried it once and I thought it looked good, and then I realized it was kind of like when you see Vivid mode at first, it impresses you and then you realize everything is messed up.

yeah,maybe the colours dont totally look how they are supposed to look i think,i'm still playing with it. Its just so frustrating that dimming. What were they thinking?Lets ruin their experience.
post #6329 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I thing it is enough to set the "HDR Module" to on (instead of "normal") . The other two settings you don´t need. In different forums I have read three independent confirmations, that it turns off the delayed dimming and undimming. My only problem: I am not sure to what extend I threaten my warranty. Will I void the warranty only by entering service menu, even if I do not brick anything? Does anybody know?

You have the link on that forums discussion?
post #6330 of 22877 Old 10-16-2018, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Hi denizens of lg land, had a friend who just copped a lg 55 C8 in an online deal for setup in his hostel room. I don't own the tv myself, he's mostly a noob with video and this weekend i'll be going over and helping him setting up the tv. May I know from owners of the c8 that do automatic firmware updates have an option to turn on or off in the settings? And automatic update means that the fw automatically updates in the background or does it throw a yes/no prompt at you if you want to update? Interested in knowing this as some people are complaining here of an issue with the latest firmware, we'll be avoiding the automatic update if that's the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page