2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 213 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81370Likes

post #6361 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thwall View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll confirm when I get home tonight, but I believe that Real Cinema is disabled when in Dolby Vision mode.
Don't think you can turn off Real Cinema in HDR content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
I just set up my 65" C8 and still have to fidget with the settings, but the black level on this thing is ridiculous (good, that is). I'm coming from a Panasonic plasma, which I thought was pretty good, but this set is really something. For example, the Directv guide is noticeably blacker.

My biggest issue at this point is that there is definitely more reflection from light in the room onto the TV screen than my plasma screen, but the sun moves across the back of our house late in the day here in California, so I'll have to figure out how to deal with that.

Did I mention the black level is ridiculous?
post #6363 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^I didn't see any change tbh...if you wanna play safe don't update it. As far as DV, to me HDR10 has improved to the point where I barely see a difference, I wouldn't let DV stop you from making the purchase, hope this helps.

Does anyone knows why on oled 2018 vs 2017 when you click on remote search only by voice you can search by default...and you have to say something to enter deep search

but on 2017 the search was more accesible

can this be disable ...does anyone know this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6364 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 3819
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I just set up my 65" C8 and still have to fidget with the settings, but the black level on this thing is ridiculous (good, that is). I'm coming from a Panasonic plasma, which I thought was pretty good, but this set is really something. For example, the Directv guide is noticeably blacker.

My biggest issue at this point is that there is definitely more reflection from light in the room onto the TV screen than my plasma screen, but the sun moves across the back of our house late in the day here in California, so I'll have to figure out how to deal with that.

Congrats...big change from plasma glow to infinite blacks!
smurraybhm likes this.
post #6365 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirceaForce View Post
Does anyone knows why on oled 2018 vs 2017 when you click on remote search only by voice you can search by default...and you have to say something to enter deep search

but on 2017 the search was more accesible

can this be disable ...does anyone know this ?
I honestly never use that feature...if you like voice activated features, you can try an amazon fire cube with alexa.
post #6366 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6871 Post(s)
Liked: 6870
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphillips View Post
In the Sound & Vision test and review of the 65 C8 this month, Thomas Norton says engagement of the Logo Extraction Algorithm reduces average brightness by about 40%.
40%, that's a bit, geese.

Quote:

Ya, OLED's are amazing that is for sure
post #6367 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 3177
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
Good to know. They're available for the same price for me, but I do like the LG's static logo luminance feature. I bet it's useful for dimming just the HUDs in games.

There are no issues out of the box with the LG C8, right? I don't plan to ever upgrade the firmware after buying it.
I have really enjoyed my C8 for the 3 plus weeks I’ve had it now, my B7 is feeling a little neglected, but with Solo and the new Ant Man & the Wasp 4k UDH Ultra disks to watch this weekend it will get some use as will the Oppo

No issues for me, I wouldn’t recommend skipping firmware updates forever on any display. Turn off the auto updates and then wait to update until others have had the chance to beta test it for you. If you’d skipped updates last year for the B/C7, then you’d not have the Technicolor settings, fix for elevated blacks on DV and a few other nice enhancements. The key is to see what the update adds or fixes, get feedback from those using it, and then decide if you should install it.
srinivas1015 and Cam1977 like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #6368 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Honestly love my 77C8 and likely the best picture I ever seen, but I do have to say the Sony(I have LCD) upscales 480/720/1080 content noticeably better. I don't have the Sony oled but I'm guessing the PQ is very similar to the C8 with 4K content since they both employ the same LG panel.

Also of note...I received 4.10.06 update ota today. Caveat is I flashed Korean version of 4.10.05 and was curious if it would update ota when available...it did.

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
post #6369 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Ditto came from a Panasonic TC-P50ST50 Plasma. At the time I thought this thing was good. But not only is the OLED much brighter, the black levels, and detail of the 65 OLED just blow it away.
post #6370 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Sanity Check

All - first time logging into AVS to post in many, many years. Still the proud owner of a D-Nice calibrated Kuro Elite which is going on 9+ years now.

I recently took the plunge and picked up a 65C8 from Costco and while the contrast is unbelievably great, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of dithering, noise, and general blah of dark content in streaming content like Netflix and HBO. I understand this is probably due to the technical limitation of streaming itself, but has anyone come up with any good settings or suggestions to eliminate this if you're watching the same content? I'm using CNet's ISF Dark settings now. Just watched an episode of Iron Fist and the dark scenes looked so awful I nearly had to turn it off.

I did notice some of these problems while watching the same content on my Kuro, but perhaps due to the size (50") and dimmer screen it didn't jump out at me the way it does on the LG. I guess the extra real estate makes that unavoidable.

Anyways, glad to be back in the land of AVS and looking forward to playing with this set a bit more. I'm guessing this topic has already been covered before but always happy to hear more input.
rkammer likes this.
post #6371 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^congrats on your new C8...how many hours on the set? I ask because when new, near blacks are a mess. These usually need about 100 to 200 to settle.
post #6372 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise666 View Post
Together with HDR module on,you also have TCP off and DIMMING off?
Correct.
post #6373 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdietzenbach View Post
I believe you hit the settings button, then all settings. Scroll down to some of the bottom options. I think its under general, about this tv. At any rate, towards the bottom of that list somewhere is where you'll find it.
That is correct. Settings, General, about TV and TV information.

Last edited by calfcramp; 10-16-2018 at 09:12 PM.
post #6374 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
So now I don't know what to say other than the light fluctuations or dimming effects are very slight for me and not bothersome at all. I've been binge watching Ozark on netflix in DV. Lots of bright lighting in backgrounds outdoors and through windows with poor lighting on actors and sets. No dimming effects whatsoever that Ive noticed all through Season 1 episodes. Just really poor cinematography and (natual?) lighting work with HDR cameras.

The settings I use on my 77" C8:

for HDR --
technical Expert (user)
oled light 70
Contrast 88
Brightness 59
Sharpness 0
color 50
tint 0
tone mapping ON
super resolution HIGH
color temp WARM1

for DV --
cinema (user)
oled light 50
contrast 96
brightness 50
sharpness 0
color 50
tint 0
super resolution HIGH
color temp MEDIUM

for SDR --
isf Expert (Dark Room)
oled light 70
contrast 88
brightness 59
sharpness 0
color 66
tint G6
super resolution HIGH
color gamut WIDE
gamma BT.1886
color temp WARM2
I really wish someone could watch these same scenes on an oled display capable of HDR or DV specifically a smartphone,etc. Curious to see if its the same effect on a laptop or whatever is on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinaz View Post
This thread has been moving pretty fast, so I wanted to revisit a couple things:
3. I’ve posted these previously, but they are long buried, so here are the settings that I’m using for Technicolor Expert (what I use for most day-to-day viewing) and ISF Bright and Dark (what I use for “key” viewing of movies and shows from good sources):
Which I got here (after comparing a number of different recommended settings...thought this was the best):
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1525423234

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
quoting this solely for the settings. thanks for selling me on this tv walt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

HDR10 Settings
HDR-10 Picture Mode: technicolor Expert

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 70 ( This will vary depending what nit levels the content was mastered as well as room brightness. There’s not really a way to know the mastered nit levels of any given title without a Lumagen which can read the metadata. So this is really a “how does it look to you” kind of thing. 70 seems to be a “happy" medium )
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 55
Tint: 0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( default and greyed out )
thank you

Quote:
I just don't get members who don't respect that this is an owner's thread, If you want to talk about purchase decisions, start a new thread, I mean that nicely and I have no doubt you'll get more replies than you care for
I mean you're not wrong, but low-key if you start a thread asking for opinions and feedback when considering purchasing a 3500$ investment, it sucks if only 5 people respond... Some members (me) are not long term vets and don't get a fantastic response. Instead, after the few responses I did get i was led here and did some digging and reading and voila Im a happy c8 owner!

Quote:
^yeah because 28 years later "goldstar" will be using the same menu...you can search the thread for your answer. If you, yourself are not buying this set remember that this is an OWNERS thread, you've been warned on the Sony threads...don't troll this thread.
Cam you are such a savage. I love it. Please PM your basic settings.

HOW the heck do i search a thread? the searching tool on this site is very strange and I almost always hit certain threads, or maybe I'm just confused, which i am
post #6375 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm Stadermann View Post
What would you say, is the FW 4.10.06 all in all an improvment regarding the delayed dimming and undimming issue? I would really appreciate your opinon. Thanks in advance.

Since 06, I have seen more dimming in HDR stuff, not by a whole lot. It is way more subtle though.
post #6376 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Jimi Jo Jake PM sent.
post #6377 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
^congrats on your new C8...how many hours on the set? I ask because when new, near blacks are a mess. These usually need about 100 to 200 to settle.
I’d say north of 100 so far.
post #6378 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^one thing with oleds is garbage in garbage out...some netflix movies or shows show some compression...hbo is notoriously bad on these especially hbogo...I know because it drives me nuts at times. Try using technicolor preset for both sdr/hdr...most accurate ootb.
post #6379 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing that I'm not sure about is the something that seems like a lack of sharpness in the picture at certain points. Almost a slight fuzziness. My wife noticed it too, which means it's not my imagination, since she rarely notices anything like that. She actually put on her glasses because she thought it might be her eyes, and I took out my contacts and put on my glasses, because I though it might be my contacts.

I keep trying to figure out what is causing it. When I look at static lettering on the Directv guide on with titles, they appear quite sharp. And when people are not moving on the screen or there is a still scene, I don't seem to notice it. Perhaps it seems to occur primarily with motion? Is the motion processing not as good as on the plasmas? Is this something that gets better after the set has a few hours on it, or should I be turning on Tru-motion to some setting?
post #6380 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jo Jake View Post
I really wish someone could watch these same scenes on an oled display capable of HDR or DV specifically a smartphone,etc. Curious to see if its the same effect on a laptop or whatever is on hand.

quoting this solely for the settings. thanks for selling me on this tv walt!

thank you

I mean you're not wrong, but low-key if you start a thread asking for opinions and feedback when considering purchasing a 3500$ investment, it sucks if only 5 people respond... Some members (me) are not long term vets and don't get a fantastic response. Instead, after the few responses I did get i was led here and did some digging and reading and voila Im a happy c8 owner!

Cam you are such a savage. I love it. Please PM your basic settings.

HOW the heck do i search a thread? the searching tool on this site is very strange and I almost always hit certain threads, or maybe I'm just confused, which i am
I'm gonna try waltinuz settings, but I have a question, when we set the white balance for r g b high and low, we have to manually switch it back and forth, to change it, it's like it's either one thing or the other? What do I select before exiting the settings?

also the hdr10 settings posted, can I use it for DOLBY VISION as well?
post #6381 of 22591 Old 10-16-2018, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did try adjusting the TruMotion setting to user and 0 - 10, and that seems to have helped quite a bit. Also updated the software, which I think was 3.00.075, or something like that. Not sure which helped more, but the motion processing definitely seems better.
post #6382 of 22591 Old 10-17-2018, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Looks like lg made the stand on the c8 really wide and we'll be needing a 4 feet stand to have the tv on top of it. wall mounting isnt an option, so if a small desk wouldnt hold the tv, we need a new table or look at a third party stand with much smaller base, do any of those exist?
post #6383 of 22591 Old 10-17-2018, 01:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6871 Post(s)
Liked: 6870
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiecesfit View Post
Ditto came from a Panasonic TC-P50ST50 Plasma. At the time I thought this thing was good. But not only is the OLED much brighter, the black levels, and detail of the 65 OLED just blow it away.
I remember when I had a plasma and went OLED, I was amazed. I wonder if they can build a technology to take out OLED, not sure its possible, but I said that about plasma TV's way back when......
post #6384 of 22591 Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enovare View Post

Thanks for the link. It does not sound very promising that LG will "fix" a consumer perceived problem LG decided it behooved them to introduce intentionally as the author mentioned. I guess LG decided the new dimming algorithm they introduced in fw 4.10.05 was presumably to avoid warranty issues due to ghost retention of static images. That decision however turns out counter user friendly. Hopefully, they will see the light (pun intended).

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki

Last edited by RBO; 10-17-2018 at 05:16 AM.
post #6385 of 22591 Old 10-17-2018, 03:41 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post
There is no dimming issue introduced, it is there with the 3.x firmware also. I'm on the 3.x firmware and see it when looking for it.

I agree I saw the effect in the 3.00.90 fw too. According tho the Forbes article linked above it would appear LG worsened the issue with fw 4.10.05.

Russ (another one)

post #6386 of 22591 Old 10-17-2018, 04:10 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
$ is not the issue, just like any of my av toys, its the WAF. It was a lot easier to get things in the house before the age of google, brings the price right up

A divorce can solve that problem.
gnollo, mrtickleuk and JLaud25 like this.

Russ (another one)

post #6387 of 22591 Old 10-17-2018, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Finally joined the C8 club. Yesterday my 55 inch C8 was delivered and installed. Coming from a KS7000 I have to say I'm impressed. I had to no time to check in depth but a quick race on GT Sport wowed me.

It came with firmware 3.01.05 and every time I turn it on asks to update to 4.10.05. I really don't know what do, should I update? Should I update the 4.10.06 from .kr site? Is there a way to avoid this update alert from popping every time?
post #6388 of 22591 Old 10-17-2018, 05:08 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One thing that I'm not sure about is the something that seems like a lack of sharpness in the picture at certain points. Almost a slight fuzziness.

Bingo! I think of it as a haze over a field like you might see with a very bright sunlight overhead. I have noticed the same on both my 65 & 77 C8s, In fact I asked my son who was here tonight if he saw it as well. He said he didn't so I just went back to assuming my eyes or imagination are the more likely problem. I mostly see the haze effect when watching SDR from a Verizon FIOS cable. To make matters worse some days its there like today other days its not like the previous 3 days.

It is not a lack of sharpness effect I think. When I add sharpness to the settings there is the noticeable blur around font characters. So I keep the sharpness setting at 0.

I think I have reduced the haze effect somewhat by using the super resolution setting on HIGH as well as by reducing the oled light and contrast settings. That's the best I've come up with. My current favorite settings are cut and pasted by another commenter on this page just above here.

But, yes I think I also see what you are seeing.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 10-17-2018 at 06:04 AM.
post #6389 of 22591 Old 10-17-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
I recently took the plunge and picked up a 65C8 from Costco and while the contrast is unbelievably great, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of dithering, noise, and general blah of dark content in streaming content like Netflix and HBO. I understand this is probably due to the technical limitation of streaming itself, but has anyone come up with any good settings or suggestions to eliminate this if you're watching the same content? I'm using CNet's ISF Dark settings now. Just watched an episode of Iron Fist and the dark scenes looked so awful I nearly had to turn it off.
Were you watching the 4K stream when you noticed this "awfulness"? I'm curious about this since I'm in the same situation you were (long time Kuro owner) but I've always understood that "problems" derived from lower resolution material.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #6390 of 22591 Old 10-17-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 4625 Post(s)
Liked: 5618
Which CNet settings did you use?

Best test is to use the Technicolor PM and just adjust the brightness to you room and adjust motion to your taste and see how it looks.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page