2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81365Likes

post #6391 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I've had my C8 for about a month now. It came with ver 3.01.05 as well but a short time later forum members were talking about ver 4.10.05 update. For about a week I waited but never was offered the newer 4.10.05 so I downloaded it from the Korean site & installed with UBS. The install went smoothly & all was good.

Although I downloaded the latest 4.10.06 ver from the Korean site a few days ago, some had mentioned they were offered ver 4.10.07 so I thought I'd wait updating from LG over the internet. If this didn't happen soon I'd just go ahead with the USB install but this morning after the set was turned on a short time I was notified of an update that would be installed the next time the set was turned on. It didn't say what version, just an software update. The update to ver 4.10.06 was smooth.

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post
I've had my C8 for about a month now. It came with ver 3.01.05 as well but a short time later forum members were talking about ver 4.10.05 update. For about a week I waited but never was offered the newer 4.10.05 so I downloaded it from the Korean site & installed with UBS. The install went smoothly & all was good.

Although I downloaded the latest 4.10.06 ver from the Korean site a few days ago, some had mentioned they were offered ver 4.10.07 so I thought I'd wait updating from LG over the internet. If this didn't happen soon I'd just go ahead with the USB install but this morning after the set was turned on a short time I was notified of an update that would be installed the next time the set was turned on. It didn't say what version, just an software update. The update to ver 4.10.06 was smooth.
Are you experiencing the dimming issue with 4.10.06?
post #6393 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egidio Concas View Post
I'm gonna try waltinuz settings, but I have a question, when we set the white balance for r g b high and low, we have to manually switch it back and forth, to change it, it's like it's either one thing or the other? What do I select before exiting the settings?

also the hdr10 settings posted, can I use it for DOLBY VISION as well?

Re the White Balance, you have to set them in both High and Low. Go to Point: High and set the R, G, B numbers, then go to Point: Low and do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

________

LG OLED 77C8PUA...stunning!
LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6394 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Hey guys, just coming into this thread after hearing about LG software upgrade issues.

My display (C8) is saying it has a software update. Should I do it? Haven't updated since two weeks ago.

Version: 4.10.06

Thanks

Last edited by Ronald Epstein; 10-17-2018 at 07:58 AM.
post #6395 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 AM

BTW, watched the first two episodes of The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix last night, using Cinema (User), and it looked great. I did not notice any dimming issues at all, nor did I notice any grayed-out blacks or black crush. All seemed fine to me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

________

LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W
post #6396 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
One thing that I'm not sure about is the something that seems like a lack of sharpness in the picture at certain points. Almost a slight fuzziness. My wife noticed it too, which means it's not my imagination, since she rarely notices anything like that. She actually put on her glasses because she thought it might be her eyes, and I took out my contacts and put on my glasses, because I though it might be my contacts.

I keep trying to figure out what is causing it. When I look at static lettering on the Directv guide on with titles, they appear quite sharp. And when people are not moving on the screen or there is a still scene, I don't seem to notice it. Perhaps it seems to occur primarily with motion? Is the motion processing not as good as on the plasmas? Is this something that gets better after the set has a few hours on it, or should I be turning on Tru-motion to some setting?

Motion on both OLED and LCD will never be as good as Plasma (let alone CRT) because of inherent limitation to the technology (look up "sample-and-hold" if you want more details).

The TruMotion settings help but they all have their drawbacks, and effectiveness varies depending on the content:
-De-blur: only works for 60fps content (mainly video games, some video content), overall good at reducing blur in motion, but can produce weird artifacts in the picture because this is essentially creating frames that don't exist to smoothen your perception of motion ("frame interpolation"). Might as well keep this at 10.
-De-judder: only works for 30fps content (pretty much all TV shows), is prone to introduce a lot more artifacts (because more fake frames are being made up), and generates the "soap opera effect". If you can tolerate it, try low settings.
-MotionPro: also called black-frame-insertion/flicker, pretty good at approaching the motion resolution of an impulse-based display like Plasma (though not as good as CRT), but basically halves the brightness of the picture, and the flicker may be noticeable in some content/for some people.

Basically it's all compromises.

Regarding picture softness, that is likely to be the case with sub-4K resolution content. As pointed out, no OLED has been good at upscaling (not even Sony's), just acceptable at best. The screens are just too big, even at 55 inches, for 780p/1080i and below. A setting sharpness of 0 for such content is not appropriate though. The standard seems to be 10, but no one is sure, some say 20. I'd say 1080p looks very good in this set, but anything lower is bound to disappoint and will look vastly better on a smaller LCD/Plasma/CRT.
RBO, waltinaz and robot99 like this.

Last edited by fernan1234; 10-17-2018 at 09:17 AM.
post #6397 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
Were you watching the 4K stream when you noticed this "awfulness"? I'm curious about this since I'm in the same situation you were (long time Kuro owner) but I've always understood that "problems" derived from lower resolution material.

It was the Netflix app on the LG itself...not sure if it was specifically 4k. I know Netflix has 4k content which I need to test out as well.
post #6398 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinaz View Post
BTW, watched the first two episodes of The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix last night, using Cinema (User), and it looked great. I did not notice any dimming issues at all, nor did I notice any grayed-out blacks or black crush. All seemed fine to me!

Just retested this, dv cinema default preset. First episode, during the first dark scene it will slowly dim down and stay that way until the intro plays at which point it undims. This is caused by ASBL as it doesn't happen when disabling it in the service menu. Why some people don't experience this (or just don't notice) I don't know.

Did you mess around with the settings while watching? Just bringing up the settings menu will reset the ASBL dimming timer.

Here's a video showing this, undimming happens when I bring up the settings menu:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10mY...ew?usp=sharing
post #6399 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
Quote:

Just retested this, dv cinema default preset. First episode, during the first dark scene it will slowly dim down and stay that way until the intro plays at which point it undims. This is caused by ASBL as it doesn't happen when disabling it in the service menu. Why some people don't experience this (or just don't notice) I don't know.

Did you mess around with the settings while watching? Just bringing up the settings menu will reset the ASBL dimming timer.

Here's a video showing this, undimming happens when I bring up the settings menu:
I didnt notice this but I will check too.
post #6400 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I finally noticed the darkening in House on Haunted Hill that everyone was talking about. But it takes a few minutes to kick in and you cant touch the remote or any other settings. I also just took 4.10.6 it doesn't fix the issue. I also noticed for Dolby Vision Cinema Home and Cinema User can look completely different which will be interesting to investigate. Ironically enough the brightness doesnt go up and down in Cinema User with Jack Ryan at 34:00 Mark but does with Cinema Home but the look is a bit different.

Last edited by thepiecesfit; 10-17-2018 at 09:23 AM.
post #6401 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 AM

Perhaps the folks not noticing the issue with Dolby Vision are using Cinema (User) instead of Cinema Home(User)? The ABL kicks in quickly and doesn't slide up and down. This is on 4.10.6 on the 65" C8. Going to experiment some more. There is definitely a different tone mapping algorithm going on.
post #6402 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6864 Post(s)
Liked: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
Thanks for the link. It does not sound very promising that LG will "fix" a consumer perceived problem LG decided it behooved them to introduce intentionally as the author mentioned.
People calling or emailing in complaining can get things fixed.....It has in the past.
RBO likes this.
post #6403 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQiCE View Post
My 2 cents, at the exact same price - I would buy the Sony for the better motion handling and upscaling. The C8's motion handling is good, but the Sony's is a hair better from what reviewers have said. The upscaling is also better on the Sony. But I primarily use the TV to watch TV and movies.

If you're using it to play games, the input lag might be more important which the C8 is better at. It also has a brighter HDR10 game mode so the C8 might be the best choice if you're an avid gamer.

The newest firmware for the C8 did fix a very annoying motion judder bug on slow pans for 24fps content (movies) - it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens it annoys me since the motion is very choppy. This bug was fixed in the 4.x firmware for the USA, was not fixed in the previous 3.x firmwares for the USA. It also fixed a lip sync issue I believe for people with sound bars.

BTW- I should add the motion judder bug I'm talking about occurs when all motion interpolation is turned off.

I haven't been able to test the newest 4.10.06 firmware that was just released - seems most are saying it doesn't fix the dimming problem?
My only uses will be Netflix/Blu-rays and some games on the PS4. I actually do love the picture of the Sony but its dimming issue with ASBL worries me. That's the only reason I'm considering the C8. I'm cool with 50ms of input lag.

But the LG having the same dimming problem with the latest firmware update has made things more complicated. I thought I'd use the LG out of the box without ever updating the firmware, but I guess I'll have to because of the motion judder bug.

Is it possible to download the 3.x firmware from somewhere?

Or better yet, will disabling the dimming in the service menu fix the bug introduced the in 4.x firmware? If this is possible, I could just go for the LG, fix it in the service menu, and use the latest firmware without worrying about ABL/ASBL.

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
post #6404 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I will test .06 tonight. I also have an update for .07 available. If I notice it on .06 I'll update and test .07 too.
post #6405 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I got a 55" E8 a couple of weeks ago and I am beyond happy. The picture quality is stellar and I was a little nervous with the built-in soundbar but I have to say, I'm really happy with that too. It doesn't have booming bass but I live in an apartment so it's probably for the best for my neighbors.

I've been watching a huge variety of content on many different devices (ATV4K, PS4 Pro, Chromecast Ultra, Nintendo Switch, OTA broadcasts, built-in apps) and out of all the issues I've read on here, I've seen almost none. I'm on the latest firmware and I've had no dimming issues. I did see some macroblocking during one dark scene in movie on HBO GO (ATV4K) but it was the Omen II so it was older and lower quality source.

I'm in the 100-200 hour range for use, used the break-in slides for maybe ~20 hours of that and I'm pretty sure I won the panel lottery; no uniformity issues at all, even on 5% gray screen. Looking to get my E8 calibrated in the coming weeks to be even more blown away.
post #6406 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I didn't mess with the settings or remote while watching it, but will go back and monkey around with it some more.

Also, I used Cinema (User) rather than the default Cinema Home. That might have something to do with it?

________

LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W
post #6407 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Lol please don’t take offense I was just joking about your eyes sight and I sure it’s better then mine I’m sure you can tell I am a total noob with this a/v stuff and all I can go by is my prior experience with my old tv. My room is small and I’m only 5feet from my 55 inch. Yes I was just zooming in the picture bc the camera wouldn’t show it other wise but from the distance I sit that is truly what the picture looks like when watching the various cable networks. In reguards to the other providers, unfortunately I live in a condo that provides the cable so I don’t really have a choice. Unfortunately the main board in my KS8000 has gone bad (this was my replacement ) so I don’t have it anymore to compare. The only thing I have is my memory and I watched the same shows on that tv and I know for sure the picture was much cleaner and the only change is this tv. It’s the same cable box and HDMI cables so I don’t know why I’m experiencing this kind of picture. In reguards to rookies that was just the comming attraction at the bottom from another show I was watching and decided to take a pic so I can’t comment if it’s worth a watch lol. Yes I’m within my return window lol

I really wanted to love this tv and if I’m being honest I do feel a bit like I am the odd man out bc almost every comment I read says how amazing there picture is with these TVs! Is it possible my tv is just defective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
20/20 and 59 is right around the corner, must be the carrots, but I don't get within a few feet of my C8 to watch content.

FYI, I've had two of the best plasmas ever made calibrated by DNice, plus a nice education from him on picture quality during the time I was lucky enough to spend with him as he worked on my displays. So I think I know a little about what to look for in regards to what a good picture. With 2 OLEDs, Samsung and Sony LCDs I've got a some good choices to compare to my C8, so you can question my eyesight all you want, but I stand by my comments.

Given Spectrum doesn't have data caps like other internet providers, maybe you should consider going with streaming, they do offer there pick 10 plan, plus you've got DTV and others to choose from as well. There is a reason I stick with DTV (satellite) vs. Spectrum in my area - no TV is going to make a crappy compressed cable feed look good. How about a few pictures of the same content from your KS? Maybe your LG is trying to tell you to stay away from shows like the Rookies

At no time did I say the C8 was perfect, crap in crap out. My content, my utilization it blows the KS out of the water. I miss clouding, blooming, lack of DV, poor viewing angles, mediocre contrast and gray blacks like a case of poison ivy - that's a little harsh as the KS isn't bad for a edge-lit LCD. Sources, settings and panels do matter, sorry you're not enjoying your display as much as I am. Hopefully you are within your return window.
post #6408 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 388
With the new firmware 4.10.06 out, anyone have any Idea what it does or fixed ?

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #6409 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:

Also, I used Cinema (User) rather than the default Cinema Home. That might have something to do with it?

I'm also using Cinema (User), which just means that the settings aren't at default anymore but I only changed sharpness and truemotion.

But if you changed anything that affects how bright the picture is, like oled-light, contrast or brightness it could affect ASBL.
post #6410 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 09:51 AM

I’m just a newbie with little experience in this area and it seems that majority of people are very happy with the picture so you may be happy with it. All I can say is I don’t like what I’m seeing in reguards to the cable upscaling. Just keep you receipt and box

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
Ugh!

Guys, now I don't know what to do about my possible purchase of the C8.

The full RGB picture Madvr is displaying with my 720p content, on my 720p Samsung PS42Q92HD is great, especially with Sharpen Complex 2 (post processing) with MPC-HC (and sharpness to 0 on the TV, ofc). I watch, almost exclusively, 720p content and in this way.

The upscaled cable-TV content (both 720p and 1080i) I saw in store, with settings I had printed out from a calibrated set and took with me to the store and they entered, back in December when I went to look at the B7, was in my eyes and compared to my plasma, pretty ****, IMHO and TBH. The question is: How much better is the C8 than the B7 at scaling?
post #6411 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I didn't mess with the settings or remote while watching it, but will go back and monkey around with it some more.

Yes apparently Cinema vs Cinema Home employ different tone mapping algorithms.
post #6412 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I may be picking up a C8 soon and just a few questions. Does the C8 come with the protective plastic on the screen? Are there any differences besides the soundbar and picture on glass between the C8 and E8?
post #6413 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I'm also using Cinema (User), which just means that the settings aren't at default anymore but I only changed sharpness and truemotion.

But if you changed anything that affects how bright the picture is, like oled-light, contrast or brightness it could affect ASBL.
Here is how to get it every time. The dimming in the dark scene. Just let Haunting of Hill House Play from the beginning of EP1 without touching anything until about the 5:50- minute mark when the couple is laying in bed. Then hit the Gear on the remote and see how much brighter it gets.

Last edited by thepiecesfit; 10-17-2018 at 10:32 AM.
post #6414 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I honestly never use that feature...if you like voice activated features, you can try an amazon fire cube with alexa.

on the old c7 to search a channel for dtv this was the easy way...

but now ...

you use amazon ?
post #6415 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiecesfit View Post
Here is how to get it every time. The dimming in the dark scene. Just let Haunting of Hill House Play from the beginning of EP1 without touching anything until about the 5:50- minute mark when the couple is laying in bed. Then hit the Gear on the remote and see how much brighter it gets.

I dont see it get brighter at all. Thats because i turned off TCP in the service menu.
Why dont you just do that also??
post #6416 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagigod View Post
Are you experiencing the dimming issue with 4.10.06?
Sorry, haven't tried an HDR / Dolby Vision program yet. Report later.

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
post #6417 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 3177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzotic54 View Post
I’m just a newbie with little experience in this area and it seems that majority of people are very happy with the picture so you may be happy with it. All I can say is I don’t like what I’m seeing in reguards to the cable upscaling. Just keep you receipt and box

I hope you went back and caught up on the thread as I posted a picture of the ABC logo when they were running a promo for the Rookies Monday night (Tuesday morning post). Looked a lot better than what you'd put up and shows that content via providers matters - heck even different channels from the same provider, HD quality will vary. Spectrum's quality in my area is poor, love their internet though and it helps me enjoy some great looking content via streaming. Just got a free bump in speed from them about a month ago too. Thanks for the earlier post.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #6418 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 3177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
I may be picking up a C8 soon and just a few questions. Does the C8 come with the protective plastic on the screen? Are there any differences besides the soundbar and picture on glass between the C8 and E8?

There is a plastic protective film on the screen, LG points that out so its hard to miss. Correct on the the differences between the E8 and C8, plus the stands are different since the C8 has a longer curved stand to help channel the sound from the C8's downfiring speakers forward. For what its worth, I believe there was at least one review that gave the C8 a better score then the E8 for sound. Don't know how that was possible since the E8 should be superior, but something to consider unless you're a fan of the glass. Great displays either way

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #6419 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
I hope you went back and caught up on the thread as I posted a picture of the ABC logo when they were running a promo for the Rookies Monday night (Tuesday morning post). Looked a lot better than what you'd put up and shows that content via providers matters - heck even different channels from the same provider, HD quality will vary. Spectrum's quality in my area is poor, love their internet though and it helps me enjoy some great looking content via streaming. Just got a free bump in speed from them about a month ago too. Thanks for the earlier post.

Thank you for pointing that out bc I didn’t notice you posed that comparison picture.
I agree yours looks much better then mine. I know quality of content varies by provider as well as channel. For me abc is actually one of the worst. CBS is probably the best but again when watching these same channels on KS8000 I’d say the quality looked more on par with what you posted and I can’t figure out why that is since both cable box and hdmi cables I’m using are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6420 of 22566 Old 10-17-2018, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 11
C8 uneven blacks

Hi… this LG C8 has several hundred hours on it and has been calibrated. In most viewing situations it looks great. However, when watching a Netflix series called Ozark which is rather dark, in the low light scenes I can see that the black level on the lower left portion of the screen is lifted quite noticeably. This is a photo of a fade to black from that Ozark series.

Question: in your opinion, is this within the expected range of variability of OLED displays, or is this something that the manufacturer should be dealing with as a warranty issue?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG_C_small.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	2469766  

Ed... I so value the resources and knowledge of AVSForum!
LG C8, Denon AVR-X4500H, Apple 4K TV, Sony UBP-X1000ES, 7.1.2 audio, (speakers = LCR-750 MKII for LCR with K-4 surrounds, V8 Movie sub, M&K K-7 rear surrounds, ELAC Debut 2.0 for FH)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page