2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 216 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81132Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6451 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,667
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 3174
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Actually it is a quote from your post. See above.
I added the "Pro" to my reply because the Lumagen Radiance Pro is the only Lumagen that can read metadata. However there is no Lumagen that can read DV.
I used the HFfury Vertex as a example. Although there are at least one other HDfury product that can read metadata and DV.

btw, DNice is a very good choice to calibrate your TV's.

ss

That is a quote/settings from Sonotumble (might have gotten that wrong - not that you would have know he posted it either), who is a self-calibrator and video industry insider who posts recommended settings on the B7/C7 thread. He's the one talking about the Lumagen and has been making his DV settings available via download, I've got zero experience with any video scaling device outside my Oppos, not a fan of any processing for the most part. DNice has done a few of my plasmas, look forward to getting him to pay a visit once the Holidays are over. Cheers.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6452 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,667
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 3174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir7 View Post
My C8's internal speaker lost sound. Had LG repair come to my place and repair it. First they replaced the main motherboard. No luck there. Tested the speakers - they were working. Finally, they replaced the power source and that fixed the problem.

They forgot to take the new motherboard they placed on my tv so now my usage counter is back to zero.

Now I can't tell the real # of hours I have used it. Last I checked i was close to 200hours already but that was a few weeks ago.

Anyway, shouldn't be a big deal, right? I mean, I imagine this tv will last me for several thousands of hours anyway. Fingers crossed.

Your past the number of hours that everyone feels are required to help the panel settle prior to calibration, slapping up slides, etc. I hope you get a lot more than several thousand hours out of your display

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is offline  
post #6453 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 06:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post
Ugh so remember when I told everyone I was still on the 3.x firmware? Well I looked last night and someone in the house clicked the "yes" on the upgrade box and it said I was at 4.x.05. I have NO idea when this happened so I have no confidence in the reporting back that I did earlier in the week about dimming on the 3.x firmware. I only noticed it because it offered to install 4.x.06 so I was like, hmmm, let me look what it thinks i have and it said 4.x.05. I upgraded to 4.x.06 and noticed something. Has anyone seen the dimming when watching UHD bluray discs? I only have 1 (Last Jedi) and have not seen any dimming in it and I'm about 3/4 of the way through it. I also watched a bunch of demo files streaming from my NAS last night after the firmware upgrade and did not see any dimming there either. I'm going to look at netflix and amazon again tonight real quick, but if internet streaming is the only thing causing the dimming then, hell i don't know what the "then". Either way I'm happy with the tv.
Hi Mike, thanks for the information. The "Problem" is, that The Last Jedi UHD BD ist not showing the dimming at all, it is due to the source. To estimate the .06 FW, please test "the usual suspects" like The Grand Tour S1 EP1 (UHD HDR Version) the conversation from about min. 18, or the beginning of "Alien Covenant" HDR or Altered Carbon on Netflix, Dolby Vision S1 E1 from min. 22.30, The Punisher Dolby Vision Netflix from about min. 25.
Would be highly appreciated, if you would take your time and try it. maybe we are lucky and the .06 solves the problem actually.
Holm Stadermann is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6454 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MikeAlletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 1,021
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm Stadermann View Post
Hi Mike, thanks for the information. The "Problem" is, that The Last Jedi UHD BD ist not showing the dimming at all, it is due to the source. To estimate the .06 FW, please test "the usual suspects" like The Grand Tour S1 EP1 (UHD HDR Version) the conversation from about min. 18, or the beginning of "Alien Covenant" HDR or Altered Carbon on Netflix, Dolby Vision S1 E1 from min. 22.30, The Punisher Dolby Vision Netflix from about min. 25.
Would be highly appreciated, if you would take your time and try it. maybe we are lucky and the .06 solves the problem actually.
Yeah I'm going to look tonight but does it seem strange to anyone that everyone's examples are streaming netflix or streaming amazon? Last Jedi is dolby vision as well, plenty of outdoor bright sky scenes that mimic the other scenes from the streaming providers.
MikeAlletto is online now  
post #6455 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 07:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post
Yeah I'm going to look tonight but does it seem strange to anyone that everyone's examples are streaming netflix or streaming amazon? Last Jedi is dolby vision as well, plenty of outdoor bright sky scenes that mimic the other scenes from the streaming providers.
Thanks a lot for your efforts. Unfortunately the dimming is source independent. Last Jedi UHD does´nt show the issue, but I have several UHD discs that show it, like Alien Covenent (The beginning, the conversation between Weyland and David), or Mrs Perigine home for preculiar, many times, Mission Impossible 4 many times in particular the conversation in Dubai just before Cruise starts his skyscraper climbing...and so on. Let´s hope, the .06 FW brings an improvement.
Holm Stadermann is offline  
post #6456 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MikeAlletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 1,021
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm Stadermann View Post
Thanks a lot for your efforts. Unfortunately the dimming is source independent. Last Jedi UHD does´nt show the issue, but I have several UHD discs that show it, like Alien Covenent (The beginning, the conversation between Weyland and David), or Mrs Perigine home for preculiar, many times, Mission Impossible 4 many times in particular the conversation in Dubai just before Cruise starts his skyscraper climbing...and so on. Let´s hope, the .06 FW brings an improvement.

Thanks Holm, I agree my sample set is extremely small My amazon wish list adds to it though.
MikeAlletto is online now  
post #6457 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jrocker23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm Stadermann View Post
Hi Mike, thanks for the information. The "Problem" is, that The Last Jedi UHD BD ist not showing the dimming at all, it is due to the source. To estimate the .06 FW, please test "the usual suspects" like The Grand Tour S1 EP1 (UHD HDR Version) the conversation from about min. 18, or the beginning of "Alien Covenant" HDR or Altered Carbon on Netflix, Dolby Vision S1 E1 from min. 22.30, The Punisher Dolby Vision Netflix from about min. 25.
Would be highly appreciated, if you would take your time and try it. maybe we are lucky and the .06 solves the problem actually.
I did the alternate carbon test on Netflix and did not see the dimming issue at the scene with .06 installed. I did see it with .05

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
Jrocker23 is online now  
post #6458 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Senior Member
 
thegam3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
I did the alternate carbon test on Netflix and did not see the dimming issue at the scene with .06 installed. I did see it with .05

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
big news if this is confirmed
thegam3 is offline  
post #6459 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,783
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6788 Post(s)
Liked: 6791
Quote:
Originally Posted by erudolph View Post
Hi… this LG C8 has several hundred hours on it and has been calibrated. In most viewing situations it looks great. However, when watching a Netflix series called Ozark which is rather dark, in the low light scenes I can see that the black level on the lower left portion of the screen is lifted quite noticeably. This is a photo of a fade to black from that Ozark series.[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica]
It should get better over time......Can you see it in content?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir7 View Post
My C8's internal speaker lost sound. Had LG repair come to my place and repair it. First they replaced the main motherboard. No luck there. Tested the speakers - they were working. Finally, they replaced the power source and that fixed the problem.

They forgot to take the new motherboard they placed on my tv so now my usage counter is back to zero.
You TV just jumped in value.....
erudolph likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #6460 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
waltinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 137
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm Stadermann View Post
Hi Mike, thanks for the information. The "Problem" is, that The Last Jedi UHD BD ist not showing the dimming at all, it is due to the source. To estimate the .06 FW, please test "the usual suspects" like The Grand Tour S1 EP1 (UHD HDR Version) the conversation from about min. 18, or the beginning of "Alien Covenant" HDR or Altered Carbon on Netflix, Dolby Vision S1 E1 from min. 22.30, The Punisher Dolby Vision Netflix from about min. 25.
Would be highly appreciated, if you would take your time and try it. maybe we are lucky and the .06 solves the problem actually.

I just updated to .06, and the dimming looks exactly the same in The Punisher S1 E6 (starting at 41:20). I had not looked at Altered Carbon before, but went to check out the above-noted clip (S1 E1, from 22:30) and the dimming is noticeable.

I am using Cinema (User) with the OLED Light set at 50, with all processing off.

Also note that I am not really bothered by this, and may not have even realized it previously, but I wanted to post my results for everyone who is looking at this.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

________

LG OLED 77C8PUA...stunning!
LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W
waltinaz is online now  
post #6461 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
PlasmaHiDef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdietzenbach View Post
Makes me afraid to update to .07
I received the notification last night asking if I wanted to update to .07. I said "no" until I checked here to see what it's all about. Everyone is talking about .06 still so I would hold off until we know more.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
PlasmaHiDef is offline  
post #6462 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 08:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinaz View Post
I just updated to .06, and the dimming looks exactly the same in The Punisher S1 E6 (starting at 41:20). I had not looked at Altered Carbon before, but went to check out the above-noted clip (S1 E1, from 22:30) and the dimming is noticeable.

I am using Cinema (User) with the OLED Light set at 50, with all processing off.

Also note that I am not really bothered by this, and may not have even realized it previously, but I wanted to post my results for everyone who is looking at this.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing this information. Does not sound good


Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
I received the notification last night asking if I wanted to update to .07. I said "no" until I checked here to see what it's all about. Everyone is talking about .06 still so I would hold off until we know more.
There are different firmwares for C8 and B8. For B8 there is already a .07 - for C8 the .06 is the current version.
Holm Stadermann is offline  
post #6463 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jrocker23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinaz View Post
I just updated to .06, and the dimming looks exactly the same in The Punisher S1 E6 (starting at 41:20). I had not looked at Altered Carbon before, but went to check out the above-noted clip (S1 E1, from 22:30) and the dimming is noticeable.

I am using Cinema (User) with the OLED Light set at 50, with all processing off.

Also note that I am not really bothered by this, and may not have even realized it previously, but I wanted to post my results for everyone who is looking at this.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Really strange. Im on a C8 and checked a few times last night and did not see the issue there like I did on .05. I didn't really notice any issue with dimming overall with the new firmware. I will do more testing tonight

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
Jrocker23 is online now  
post #6464 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
PlasmaHiDef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm Stadermann View Post




There are different firmwares for C8 and B8. For B8 there is already a .07 - for C8 the .06 is the current version.
I did not know that there are different firmwares between those sets. Good to know for the future. This thread is more active so that sucks too lol

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
PlasmaHiDef is offline  
post #6465 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
thepiecesfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
big news if this is confirmed
Dimming is not gone in the new firmware. It might not be as aggressive. If you want to sacrifice some tonal range for even less aggressive ABL try Cinema (User) vs Cinema (Home) for Dolby Vision it makes a big difference.
erudolph likes this.

Last edited by thepiecesfit; 10-18-2018 at 09:05 AM.
thepiecesfit is offline  
post #6466 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: India
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_gamer View Post
I've upgraded to 4.10.6, the dimming issue is very less noticeable and the delay in dimming is significantly less.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
big news if this is confirmed

@thegam3


hope others can test it as well
bala_gamer is offline  
post #6467 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[QUOTE=Cleveland Plasma;56979076]It should get better over time......Can you see it in content?

Hi Cleveland Plasma from a former Clevelander!

Thanks for the response... mostly I can only see it in Ozark. Can see it occasionally in some other dips to black. Am somewhat relieved by the responses to my post.

Ed... I so value the resources and knowledge of AVSForum!
LG C8, Denon AVR-X4500H, Apple 4K TV, Sony UBP-X1000ES, 7.1.2 audio, (speakers = LCR-750 MKII for LCR with K-4 surrounds, V8 Movie sub, M&K K-7 rear surrounds, ELAC Debut 2.0 for FH)
erudolph is offline  
post #6468 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Senior Member
 
LeRoyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Woodstock Georgia
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 104
With .05 firmware Avengers Infinity Chapter 2 in HDR10 calibrated Cinema(User). My ABSL is ON in the service menu. Watched the scene from when they move inside a building (low APL) from the beginning. When the camera goes to the hole in the ceiling, the hole brightens a few moments after showing the hole.

With .06 firmware same setup retains the same brightness throughout that part of the scene.

LeRoy
thegam3 likes this.

LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ920, Panasonic DP-UB820, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AT&T Gigabit Internet & U-verse
LeRoyK is offline  
post #6469 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by erudolph View Post
Hi… this LG C8 has several hundred hours on it and has been calibrated. In most viewing situations it looks great. However, when watching a Netflix series called Ozark which is rather dark, in the low light scenes I can see that the black level on the lower left portion of the screen is lifted quite noticeably. This is a photo of a fade to black from that Ozark series.

Question: in your opinion, is this within the expected range of variability of OLED displays, or is this something that the manufacturer should be dealing with as a warranty issue?


Thanks for your thoughts!



New 55C8 owner here. I experienced exactly the same thing while watching Ozark on Netflix (in Dolby Vision). Lowering the brightness value to 49 fixed it. I keep it set that way for all DV content – perfect blacks and no loss of shadow detail as far as I can tell.

For SDR content, brightness slider set to 50 works just fine for me.
Krayuns is offline  
post #6470 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
dave1812dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 97
It didn't take long to go from .05 to .06. I doubt I had .05 for a week. Whatever, it looks fine on .06. No jump in brightness. The most issue I had with what's been ascribed to .05 actually happened to me using a version or two earlier of the OS. It was so noticeable that brightness would change about 2 seconds after a different scene would appear, that had vastly different brightness from previous scenes. I'm glad that LG got this sorted out.

LG OLED55B7 -LG OLED65C8 - Marantz NR1608
dave1812dave is offline  
post #6471 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm Stadermann View Post




There are different firmwares for C8 and B8. For B8 there is already a .07 - for C8 the .06 is the current version.
I did not know that there are different firmwares between those sets. Good to know for the future. This thread is more active so that sucks too lol
Yes. The C8s are on a different number than the B8s for whatever reason. It essentially always seemes to be .01 updates ahead. This tells me the B8s have 1 additional update that the C8's didnt need.. errr something like that. Anyway, can confirm the B8s are on a different firmware update. What is interesting, is that I've checked so many of the scenes mentioned above and have never once noticed any aggressive, or delayed dimming. I use cinema user for DV. This leads me to believe that the B8 wasnt effected by whatever bug the C8s had. Odd.
tylerdietzenbach is offline  
post #6472 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 11:10 AM
Senior Member
 
SL600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdietzenbach View Post
Yes. The C8s are on a different number than the B8s for whatever reason. It essentially always seemes to be .01 updates ahead. This tells me the B8s have 1 additional update that the C8's didnt need.. errr something like that. Anyway, can confirm the B8s are on a different firmware update. What is interesting, is that I've checked so many of the scenes mentioned above and have never once noticed any aggressive, or delayed dimming. I use cinema user for DV. This leads me to believe that the B8 wasnt effected by whatever bug the C8s had. Odd.
Nothing odd about it. The B8 has the Alpha-7 processor. The C8 has the Alpha-9. Different processors different firmware.

LG OLED65C8PUA, F/W: 05.20.00 (Engineering Mode)
Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
SL600 is offline  
post #6473 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tbass2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,354
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
With .05 firmware Avengers Infinity Chapter 2 in HDR10 calibrated Cinema(User). My ABSL is ON in the service menu. Watched the scene from when they move inside a building (low APL) from the beginning. When the camera goes to the hole in the ceiling, the hole brightens a few moments after showing the hole.

With .06 firmware same setup retains the same brightness throughout that part of the scene.

LeRoy
Watching the new Netflix show "The Haunting of Hill House." I noticed the dimming issue in I believe episode 6 in the funeral home...forgot the timestamp, but it was so dim looking for a while that I hit the LG menu button to make sure that scene was supposed to be that dim and the screen immediately got brighter. This happened on my 77" C8 with the .06 firmware......TBH, the ABSL does appear improved overall with the .06 firmware.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
tbass2k is online now  
post #6474 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 11:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Still waiting on the latest firmware here in Europe. Playing Godless which has a lot of dark scenes and it's really annoying in some, there's a scene in the woods in the first half of ep 7 where the dimming flickers like crazy.
royozin is offline  
post #6475 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL600 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdietzenbach View Post
Yes. The C8s are on a different number than the B8s for whatever reason. It essentially always seemes to be .01 updates ahead. This tells me the B8s have 1 additional update that the C8's didnt need.. errr something like that. Anyway, can confirm the B8s are on a different firmware update. What is interesting, is that I've checked so many of the scenes mentioned above and have never once noticed any aggressive, or delayed dimming. I use cinema user for DV. This leads me to believe that the B8 wasnt effected by whatever bug the C8s had. Odd.
Nothing odd about it. The B8 has the Alpha-7 processor. The C8 has the Alpha-9. Different processors different firmware.

Good point. I forgot.
tylerdietzenbach is offline  
post #6476 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 12:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone got it right to install the 4.10.06 using an usb stick? For some reason I can not do it. I ve been trying for an hour now, it does´nt work. I use the FW from the korean LG site. Any ideas or experiences?
Holm Stadermann is offline  
post #6477 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Jbhur212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Akron
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm Stadermann View Post
Has anyone got it right to install the 4.10.06 using an usb stick? For some reason I can not do it. I ve been trying for an hour now, it does´nt work. I use the FW from the korean LG site. Any ideas or experiences?
https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...oftware-update
Don't know if you've seen this. If not follow “manual firmware update” and check step 3. It has some very specific instructions on labeling.
Holm Stadermann likes this.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
Jbhur212 is online now  
post #6478 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 12:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbhur212 View Post
https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...oftware-update
Don't know if you've seen this. If not follow “manual firmware update” and check step 3. It has some very specific instructions on labeling.
Thank you very much!!!
Holm Stadermann is offline  
post #6479 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 01:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
Watching the new Netflix show "The Haunting of Hill House." I noticed the dimming issue in I believe episode 6 in the funeral home...forgot the timestamp, but it was so dim looking for a while that I hit the LG menu button to make sure that scene was supposed to be that dim and the screen immediately got brighter. This happened on my 77" C8 with the .06 firmware......TBH, the ABSL does appear improved overall with the .06 firmware.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Confirmed. I have the 65 inch C8, and I just got the upgrade from .05 to .06. No discernible difference via the Altered Carbon test as it still dims/brightens back and forth. I'm using Cinema Home (user) OLED set to 50. LG fix this!
Jrocker23 likes this.
Ben Larkins is offline  
post #6480 of 22242 Old 10-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
godfatherip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Picking up my C8 today, anything in particular I should know as a new owner? Should I avoid flashing the latest firmware due to the dimming issues?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| LG OLED65C8P | Pioneer VSX-LX503 | Def Tech BP9040 + CS9040 + A90 + SR9080 | Klipsch R-112SW |
godfatherip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off