2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 234 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80750Likes

post #6991 of 21662 Old 10-24-2018, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
On the bright side, you guys can see how many hours the TV has been powered on instead . We can't!
Ignorance is bliss!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6992 of 21662 Old 10-24-2018, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jo Jake View Post
Anyone got anything on my question as to the impact of a fire place 3 2 feels from the edge of the tv? don't want to get burn in
I have a fire place and I have a rear speaker and sofa that are about 5 feet from it and it is not the best setup. They can get quite warm because they are to the side but only 30 degrees from it. But it depends on how much heat is deployed from your fireplace. Mine is meant to heat the room. It also depends if your TV will receive direct heat. If it's on the wall to the side of the fireplace it might be fine. I depends how much heat it will receive.

Why not start your fireplace and place an object, a piece of plywood for example, where the TV would be and see after an hour or two if it gets warm to the touch? I would not put such an expensive and delicate piece of gear there if it is anything more than slightly warm. There is glue holding the anti-reflect film on the front of the panel. Heat ain't good for glue.
post #6993 of 21662 Old 10-24-2018, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
Is anyone having issues with the Amazon Prime video app constantly crashing when viewing 4k? I can't get through an hour long show without it either freezing the video display or it full out crashing the TV.

And while Man in the High Castle looks so much better in 4k HDR, the changing levels are killing me. So much dark scenery with bright backlighting.
I was just getting ready to subscribe to Prime. Maybe I'll wait a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6994 of 21662 Old 10-24-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post
I was just getting ready to subscribe to Prime. Maybe I'll wait a little.
Prime has been perfect for me on both my LGs. Plus you get other benefits, remember this all started with 2 day shipping which I’ve enjoyed from day one, all the others adds are just a bonus

If someone is having that many issues, unplug the display for 30 seconds, if that doesn’t help be sure to check your router settings especially if you are wireless, next step would be uninstall the app and then reinstall it. Besides “re-booting” the display, re-installing the app in question has fixed more than a few issues over the past few years. Don’t let one owners problems keep you from enjoying some quality content. I can’t keep up with all the good shows/movies on Netflix and Amazon. Add in that there is a lot of eye candy content to be had, it’s good times for OLED owners.
jboileau, Dchak and Cam1977 like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #6995 of 21662 Old 10-24-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince48 View Post
StumpyBloke
I'm really feel bad of your hissing problem! I right on the verge of waiting for the price to drop and get a 77". Although my E6P still rocks, i still want a 77", but if i have to be bummed by the hissing, i won't go for the C8 77. I really feel bad for you, that set cost you some major $.
If you have a 65E6P, you can sell that and nearly buy your 77"
post #6996 of 21662 Old 10-24-2018, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Yea, I know Chris, but the hassle of shipping and people not being honest with their intentions. I still enjoy 3D, just watched Imax Grand Canyon Adventure 3D, wow. But for the right price and no games, i can let my E6P go.
post #6997 of 21662 Old 10-24-2018, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone with experience tell me how big of a difference it is between watching a UHD Blu-ray in Dolby Vision vs in HDR10 with Dynamic Tone Mapping turned on? Just wondering if it’s a big drop off in quality. Looking at the Sony X800 player but that is only HDR10. Thanks.
post #6998 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
I can’t keep up with all the good shows/movies on Netflix and Amazon. Add in that there is a lot of eye candy content to be had, it’s good times for OLED owners.

ISSUE ALERT!!

This is the only issue that I’m having with my 77C8...well, that, coupled with football and the baseball playoffs. Not enough time in the days to watch this incredible and stunning TV!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smurraybhm and Jbhur212 like this.

________

LG OLED 77C8PUA...stunning!
LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W
post #6999 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Is anyone having issues with the Amazon Prime video app constantly crashing when viewing 4k? I can't get through an hour long show without it either freezing the video display or it full out crashing the TV.

And while Man in the High Castle looks so much better in 4k HDR, the changing levels are killing me. So much dark scenery with bright backlighting.
We've had issues a few issues with all our apps but I pin the blame on our internet service. The service is DSL @ 24Mbps but does fluctuate at times & that's the only time we've had issues.

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
post #7000 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone know what the details are for the C-series 04.10.06 firmware? Mine just updated itself (auto-update is off) and I can't find the release notes anywhere.
post #7001 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdanny View Post
Can anyone with experience tell me how big of a difference it is between watching a UHD Blu-ray in Dolby Vision vs in HDR10 with Dynamic Tone Mapping turned on? Just wondering if it’s a big drop off in quality. Looking at the Sony X800 player but that is only HDR10. Thanks.
It is going to depend on the content. With some titles, you probably won't tell the difference at all, with others - it could make a big difference.

Part of the reason for that is Dolby Vision has metadata about each frame and can dynamically change it based on how the disc was authored, so it should look the way it was intended. With Dynamic Tone Mapping you're using LG's algorithm to decide what each scene should look like and you can't be sure it is going to look the way it was intended. In a lot of cases, Dynamic Tone Mapping will probably look fine - but you won't know for sure unless you watch the title back to back with both or someone decides to do that.
post #7002 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Prime has been perfect for me on both my LGs. Plus you get other benefits, remember this all started with 2 day shipping which I’ve enjoyed from day one, all the others adds are just a bonus

If someone is having that many issues, unplug the display for 30 seconds, if that doesn’t help be sure to check your router settings especially if you are wireless, next step would be uninstall the app and then reinstall it. Besides “re-booting” the display, re-installing the app in question has fixed more than a few issues over the past few years. Don’t let one owners problems keep you from enjoying some quality content. I can’t keep up with all the good shows/movies on Netflix and Amazon. Add in that there is a lot of eye candy content to be had, it’s good times for OLED owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post
We've had issues a few issues with all our apps but I pin the blame on our internet service. The service is DSL @ 24Mbps but does fluctuate at times & that's the only time we've had issues.
We have Google fiber so I doubt the connection speed is the problem and we haven't really had problems with Hulu or Netflix. On the other hand it realkyninky started once we discovered how to find MitHC in 4k.

I'll go ahead and reload the app. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't something common-ish before I started doing all that. Didn't seem like there was any chatter.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman
post #7003 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
We have Google fiber so I doubt the connection speed is the problem and we haven't really had problems with Hulu or Netflix. On the other hand it realkyninky started once we discovered how to find MitHC in 4k.

I'll go ahead and reload the app. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't something common-ish before I started doing all that. Didn't seem like there was any chatter.

I was having crash issues with Netflix and Amazon App on both my E7 and C8. Changed DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and that fixed my issue.
post #7004 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLad View Post
Over 200 hours in, loving my 65C8 more and more.
Did you notice a reduction in vertical banding after 200 hours? I have significant vertical banding on my set, and I'm debating whether or not to just swap it for another and roll the dice again, or to continue to break it in. I have no idea how many hours I've put on it, though, as I can't determine how to see that.
post #7005 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mitchell View Post
Did you notice a reduction in vertical banding after 200 hours? I have significant vertical banding on my set, and I'm debating whether or not to just swap it for another and roll the dice again, or to continue to break it in. I have no idea how many hours I've put on it, though, as I can't determine how to see that.
I was blown away by the black detail at first, but now even more so. Upon regular viewing from every source I can think of I haven't noticed any vertical banding and won't go out of my way with test screens to save my sanity (I would think Dunkirk and Blade Runner 2049 on UHDBD would be the best indication). However I did notice brightness on the left side of the screen, macroblocking/black-crush, and contouring (mostly from streaming sources) which has all cleared up with the break-in and some tweeking.

An hour meter can be found in the system tab of the settings menu.
post #7006 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQiCE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdanny View Post
It is going to depend on the content. With some titles, you probably won't tell the difference at all, with others - it could make a big difference.

Part of the reason for that is Dolby Vision has metadata about each frame and can dynamically change it based on how the disc was authored, so it should look the way it was intended. With Dynamic Tone Mapping you're using LG's algorithm to decide what each scene should look like and you can't be sure it is going to look the way it was intended. In a lot of cases, Dynamic Tone Mapping will probably look fine - but you won't know for sure unless you watch the title back to back with both or someone decides to do that.
Thanks. I’m familiar with the theoretical differences between Dolby Vision and HDR10 with Dynamic Tone Mapping, but I was hoping to get some real user experience telling me how big the difference really is in real life.

It’s kind of like asking the difference between the B8 and C8. On paper the C8 is better but most reviews say you will barely notice the difference, so it probably would come down to price.

I’m trying to see if that’s the case with Dolby Vision and HDR10 with Dynamic Tone Mapping where on paper one is better but in real life it’s not really noticeable unless your intent is to scrutinize every tiny little detail of each frame of video.
post #7007 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Setting>General>About this TV>Tv Information> TV Hours

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #7008 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
Setting>General>About this TV>Tv Information> TV Hours
I appreciate this, thank you.

I'm sitting at 83 hours. I'll give it more time!
post #7009 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
I was having crash issues with Netflix and Amazon App on both my E7 and C8. Changed DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and that fixed my issue.
I was having issues the past week after updating the firmware. Constant issues despite bandwidth being 400mbps on the speed test. Finally yesterday the software crashed and none of my apps connected and kept freezing. So I powered down pulled the cord. Once it came back it has been fine since. I think LG needs to add a reset function as most of the time it's in standby. The NETFLIX app doesnt exactly quit.
post #7010 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I am/was it is driving me nuts. Try to power down and pull the cord or turn off the surge protector. It will give everything a 'reset'. It seems to have helped in my case.
post #7011 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 10:38 AM

You guys want to see something crazy with Dolby Vision?

Netflix on the LG app. Lemony Snickets A Series of Unfortunate Events S2 Episode 3 1:40 Mark. As he climbs up the manhole and transitions to the outside. The shadows flicker with Cinema Home, switch to Cinema and try again it's fine. Not sure if this is a LG issue though.

Last edited by thepiecesfit; 10-25-2018 at 10:42 AM.
post #7012 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 10:48 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Correct, what I'm seeing is my 77C8 is finally getting much more stable after the 300 hour mark. Why I say that is when I profile my reference meter for my read meter. I use LiVal and ChromaSurf two very exacting meter profile software programs that tells me what is going on with panel drift among other things.

Care to share the model info of the meters you use? I just started trying to research some calibration light meters and cannot decide which are adequate for my 77C8.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #7013 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Hi. New 65C8 owner (yesterday). Love the picture on this TV!

Questions: What are the most critical picture adjustments for optimum quality? Do you have to go in and optimize settings for every different kind of content source? (HDR-10, DV, 1080p blu-rays, 1080i broadcast from satellite, regular DVD, etc.) I am using only one HDMI input -- from my Marantz receiver -- but watching content from three sources going through the Marantz: an Oppo 203 4K BD player, a Roku Premiere+, and my DirecTV HD receiver/DVR.

For example, the quality I get from the 4K UHD blu-ray of Life of Pi or Dunkirkis amazing; a perfect picture in every way. Regular blu-ray disc also looks very good, as does 4K HDR content from Netflix. Broadcast satellite network programming comes off as a little bit soft and oversaturated, though.

My living room/theater is on the dark side even on a sunny day. Is picture best set to "Technicolor expert" or "Dark room expert"?

Any answers and advice greatly received!
post #7014 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 11:16 AM

Not sure this was discussed anywhere but got this from Vincent Taoh's Twitter responses. Apparently an LG tech disabled the HDR dimming by going to OLED: Module HDR and changing the setting from 'Normal' to 'On'. I've confirmed this works and the dimming is gone both in Grand Tour and Jack Ryan.

https://pic.twitter.com/sbFo6ht2gt

**Assume no responsibility for what you do to your display. But it works. **
post #7015 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkusterb View Post

Questions: What are the most critical picture adjustments for optimum quality? Do you have to go in and optimize settings for every different kind of content source? (HDR-10, DV, 1080p blu-rays, 1080i broadcast from satellite, regular DVD, etc.) I am using only one HDMI input -- from my Marantz receiver -- but watching content from three sources going through the Marantz: an Oppo 203 4K BD player, a Roku Premiere+, and my DirecTV HD receiver/DVR.

For example, the quality I get from the 4K UHD blu-ray of Life of Pi or Dunkirkis amazing; a perfect picture in every way. Regular blu-ray disc also looks very good, as does 4K HDR content from Netflix. Broadcast satellite network programming comes off as a little bit soft and oversaturated, though.

My living room/theater is on the dark side even on a sunny day. Is picture best set to "Technicolor expert" or "Dark room expert"?

broadcast isn't going to go (currently) above 1020i. I hate the look of broadcast, esp. when it's a 720 channel. then again, I hate commercials so 99.99% of the time we watch Hulu, Netflix, Amz Prime, or discs. (sadly,DVD's also don't look very good!) Blu Ray is fine. I've looked at 4k Blu Ray movies and can't find enough of them to justify purchasing a 4K player. physical media is dying anyway. streaming rules.

LG OLED55B7 -LG OLED65C8 - Marantz NR1608
post #7016 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
broadcast isn't going to go (currently) above 1020i. I hate the look of broadcast, esp. when it's a 720 channel. then again, I hate commercials so 99.99% of the time we watch Hulu, Netflix, Amz Prime, or discs. (sadly,DVD's also don't look very good!) Blu Ray is fine. I've looked at 4k Blu Ray movies and can't find enough of them to justify purchasing a 4K player. physical media is dying anyway. streaming rules.
I don't know if streaming rules, mostly because you don't get full quality with streaming. Especially uhd 4k content.

Also physical media especially uhd 4k is doing very well in sales.

Unfortunately, internet speeds are not great everywhere & a lot of people have data caps so streaming is out of the question for some

I do use streaming but when I want the best quality, I turn to disc

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #7017 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiecesfit View Post
Not sure this was discussed anywhere but got this from Vincent Taoh's Twitter responses. Apparently an LG tech disabled the HDR dimming by going to OLED: Module HDR and changing the setting from 'Normal' to 'On'. I've confirmed this works and the dimming is gone both in Grand Tour and Jack Ryan.

https://pic.twitter.com/sbFo6ht2gt

**Assume no responsibility for what you do to your display. But it works. **
Is this option only accessible via the Service Menu?

Edit: It is, yes. I read through the Twitter thread and saw the image of the post reporting it.
post #7018 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:

Adjusting your settings per source can be an exercise in futility because source quality widely varies from source to source and even between programs. Cable/sat is the worse because of source quality and compression. Even streaming will have its issues due to bandwidth and programming. Physical media is still the best because for the most part, the quality is consistent so that's why most calibrate their panels via blu-ray player and then tweak as necessary for other sources.

You can try the settings posted on rtings.com and see how they work for you. Just keep in mind that all panels are different due to component tolerances so nothing is guaranteed. Adjust to whatever looks best to you. Not what others say you need to do. Write the settings down and then experiment. If you don't like what you see, then just put the original settings back in and start over.

My cable connection goes straight to the C8 because the Comcrap cable box that I have has issues with Deep Color so I need to disable that for just cable. However, if you use a single HDMI cable from your receiver to the C8, the C8 sees that as a single source and if you disable Deep Color, you disable Deep Color for your other sources as well. Connecting the cable box directly to the C8 is a separate HDMI input so you can disable Deep Color on that input without affecting the other input. I then use an optical cable for discrete 5.1 audio from the cable box to the receiver which is not big deal because that's the best cable can do.
post #7019 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does anybody else’s C8/E8 constantly come up wired LAN connection disconnected and then immediately pop back up saying it’s connected again?

Happens quite a bit to me which is frustrating..
post #7020 of 21662 Old 10-25-2018, 12:14 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

Let's see. The general consensus after reading through the thread is:

That until you break-in your new set by the general use of 200-300 hours of watching your C8, none of the settings you try will be optimal. If you do not have a European model C8 you can find your hours of use in settings General>About This TV>TV Information>Hours. Some people like to run through D-Nice's prep slides to equalize all pixels evenly, but it seems the slides are strictly use at your own risk.

Yes, each source will need adjustments to settings unless you are satisfied with the default LG settings for Technicolor Expert and ISF Dark or Bright Room,which most on the forum seem to think are very close to isf calibration already.

Each source has Picture Mode optional settings specific to it and even the same Picture Mode choice default settings may vary from one source to another. Some settings may be defaulted to being greyed out and not adjustable depending on the source material, such as SDR, HDR or DV. Some suggest starting with the recommended settings proposed for the C8 on the RTings.com website https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8/settings

The "most critical picture adjustments for optimum picture quality" are Brightness and Contrast. With good calibration reference material (see the AVS Forum Calibration thread) you can set your Brightness to optimum with seeing bar number 18 barely discernibly flashing and number 17 almost imperceptibly flashing. With that then adjust Contrast of agreeable intensity in conjunction with OLED Light at 100 in HDR or 50 in DV and to personal preference in SDR.

You want the Dynamic Tone Mapping set ON when available in HDR Picture Modes, Real Cinema set to ON if available, TruNMotion set OFF, Black Level set to LOW or if using PC Mode to HIGH, Gamma set to 2.2 for day or bright room viewing and set to BT.1886 for night time or dark room viewing, and Sharpness set to 0. If you have the most recent firmware version 04.10.06 and use Technicolor Expert Picture Mode, change the White Balance Color Temp to Warm2 for better color accuracy. All other settings should be at default or OFF.

You want to turn OFF Energy Saving so that the set does not dim the picture automatically to room lighting. Automatic firmware update to OFF unless you do not want to do updates manually.

I may have missed something, so you might want to read through the thread and see.
rkammer and jboileau like this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki

Last edited by RBO; 10-25-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page