2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 245 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80733Likes

post #7321 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc7 View Post
Looking for a new TV in the family room and have diligently been doing my research. I've read over and over about the OLED not being the first choice for everyday watching with network logos as well as a room with a fair amount of natural light. I heard the same thing when I purchased my plasma Panasonic 50PX-500u 13 years ago. Logo burn in issues and don't put it in a bright room. That dinosaur of a TV has never had any issues and was more than adequate for everyday viewing. So my question is, are all the concerns or "cons" with an OLED TV only for the most discriminate of video critics. I probably won't buy replace this TV for 13 years. Or should I get an LED?
Burn in is rare, check out the burn in thread, yes it happens but it is rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Pics of your guys’ E8? Trying to decide vs. C8. Also, how do you think the upscaling and near black performs on your E8 vs. B7?
E8 and C8 will have the same picture quality.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Are we expecting another firmware fix after 04.10.06?

LG C9 & UB9000
LG C8 & UB820
Denon AVR, SVS Prime Elevation & Ultra Series, HSU Subwoofer, Emotiva
post #7323 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Anyone have a recommended User TruMotion setting between Off and Smooth? I put on the Revenant in DV and it looks so gorgeous on the C8, but some of those panning scenes look a little dicey with the trumotion set off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7324 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush2049 View Post
Anyone have a recommended User TruMotion setting between Off and Smooth? I put on the Revenant in DV and it looks so gorgeous on the C8, but some of those panning scenes look a little dicey with the trumotion set off.
Which DV setting are you using? Do you have all of the extra processing stuff turned off?

I think people should always use the settings they think looks best, but, however the film looks with all of the extra processing turned off is the closest you get to how it is supposed to look. So I'd still recommend leaving it off. Stuttering can be annoying but I don't think it's worth giving up the intended, cinematic look of the film by turning on TruMotion.
post #7325 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Try TruMotion on, but both set to 0.
post #7326 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotesBreakfast View Post
Which DV setting are you using? Do you have all of the extra processing stuff turned off?

I think people should always use the settings they think looks best, but, however the film looks with all of the extra processing turned off is the closest you get to how it is supposed to look. So I'd still recommend leaving it off. Stuttering can be annoying but I don't think it's worth giving up the intended, cinematic look of the film by turning on TruMotion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Coane View Post
Try TruMotion on, but both set to 0.
Thanks...I have all processing off (and I was wrong, it's only HDR10), but I found that Dejudder 3, Deblur 0 looks amazing. It's clean but doesn't have the soap opera effect.
FarleyUK and TotesBreakfast like this.
post #7327 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm confused.... Just went into the One X calibration settings, have the X on PC RGB and the TV black level as high ; however, I couldn't see the closed eye symbol. I changed the settings to low on the TV and standard on the X, and I can see it now.

Is that normal? I always thought high black level on the TV matched PC RGB from the X...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7328 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Thanks...I have all processing off (and I was wrong, it's only HDR10), but I found that Dejudder 3, Deblur 0 looks amazing. It's clean but doesn't have the soap opera effect.
I have those two settings at 3 & 3 all the time, for Hulu and Netflix content (that's 99.5% of what we watch). Go much higher on those settings and I see the dreaded SOE, which we don't like. Set to zero, quite a bit of content looks jerky.
FarleyUK and Bumrush2049 like this.

LG OLED55B7 -LG OLED65C8 - Marantz NR1608
post #7329 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2307 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by escu View Post
I have such a setting but it can only enable sending audio on the second output (by default its disabled) but does not prevent audio being send on the first output as well. So, when active, audio is outputted on both.
It worked perfectly with my previous TV, that's why I think it has to do with the TV somehow.
I passed video to the TV using the primary HDMI output of the BluRay and audio to my AVR using the secondary HDMI output on my BluRay. It worked perfectly and it passed the full HD sound stream tot the AVR.

There are more than a few of us doing exactly what you are trying to do without a problem - in my case I have an Oppo 203 with audio out to my receiver (Denon 4300) and video direct to the display. I'd suggest posting this over on the blu-ray player's thread, its not an issue with the display, but how you've set up your blu-ray player.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #7330 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarleyUK View Post
I'm confused.... Just went into the One X calibration settings, have the X on PC RGB and the TV black level as high ; however, I couldn't see the closed eye symbol. I changed the settings to low on the TV and standard on the X, and I can see it now.

Is that normal? I always thought high black level on the TV matched PC RGB from the X...?

read near the bottom,they say RGB is broken:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xbox_One_X/..._about_pc_rgb/
post #7331 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:

Yes. The Xbox should be on low as well as the tv

The PC rgb is only for PC connections honestly, the only other way to possibly get full rgb is to go into the TV input icon settings and change the icon to PC icon. This may work because changing the input icon to PC gives you the full color range as this video explaines

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #7332 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise666 View Post
read near the bottom,they say RGB is broken:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xbox_One_X/..._about_pc_rgb/

Blimey! OK, cheers. So Standard on the X and LOW on the TV then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7333 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Quote:

I would guess so, i cant check because i dont have one.
Just play with the settings.
post #7334 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Burn in is rare, check out the burn in thread, yes it happens but it is rare.

E8 and C8 will have the same picture quality.......
oops i meant C8/E8 vs. the B6 he had before. i'm really interested in the new chip's abilities on upscaling sub 4k (like cable) vs. the 2016 series.
post #7335 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:

The rgb color issue was fixed. We tested it in our insider program and it was released to the public with one of the last public release updates. If I can find the insider post from ms, I will post it here.

In the meantime try the option I posted above

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #7336 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
oops i meant C8/E8 vs. the B6 he had before. i'm really interested in the new chip's abilities on upscaling sub 4k (like cable) vs. the 2016 series.
I upgraded from B6 to E8 but I can't speak to upscaling from cable since I never watch cable/network TV or anything like that. I primarily watch BDs and UHDs via my OPPO, and do some streaming with Vudu, Netflix, and Amazon. What I can say for certain is that everything looks better! Colors pop a bit more and there is just more depth to the image. Also, audio is a big deal for me and I very much appreciate being able to send an Atmos signal from the TV to my soundbar, so streaming audio is much better on this new TV. Overall I'm very happy with this upgrade.
post #7337 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
The rgb color issue was fixed. We tested it in our insider program and it was released to the public with one of the last public release updates. If I can find the insider post from ms, I will post it here.

In the meantime try the option I posted above

Thanks, but setting it pc isn't practical as it's via an avr with other devices as well.

post #7338 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
There are more than a few of us doing exactly what you are trying to do without a problem - in my case I have an Oppo 203 with audio out to my receiver (Denon 4300) and video direct to the display. I'd suggest posting this over on the blu-ray player's thread, its not an issue with the display, but how you've set up your blu-ray player.
Many thanks for your answer. Will try the blu ray thread then.
I just suspected the TV because it worked with my previous TV (Samsung KS9000) with the same settings.
post #7339 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubinh View Post
Gents, I'm looking to upgrade from my current 65" B6 to a 77" C8. The only real issue I've had with the B6 has been vignetting, especially down the right side of the screen. Fortunately, it is only noticeable in certain grey/dark scenes.

To those of you with the C8, does vignetting still appear to be an issue and if so is it as pronounced as it was on prior models? Thanks for any feedback!
I'm a 77" C8 owner as well, no vignetting at all. If you mean banding on a 5% slide, I don't think any panel is perfect here but it's pretty darn good, I don't see anything in actual content.
zubinh likes this.
post #7340 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Many thanks for your answer. Will try the blu ray thread then.
I just suspected the TV because it worked with my previous TV (Samsung KS9000) with the same settings.
I too use dual outputs from my LG UHD player to the TV and one to the AVR. No issues here.
Like others have said, this is definitely an issue with your player. There is no way the TV can alter a signal going out of your bluray player directly to your AVR.
post #7341 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdk10592 View Post
Hi, newbie here (literally just signed up to ask this). I’ve been wanting to buy a C8 for a while now but have been waiting for the prices to come down even further. I just saw the lowest price on Amazon today for xxxxx after keeping my eye on it. Should I wait no longer and just go for it? Or would the price be even lower on Black Friday? Don’t want to miss out on this but if it ends up going even lower within a month I’ll resist the urge.
You're not going to get an answer to this here as there is no price talk allowed like the forum title says. I know there is a 2018 OLED Deals thread where you can discuss this.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #7342 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Quote:
Hi, newbie here (literally just signed up to ask this). I’ve been wanting to buy a C8 for a while now but have been waiting for the prices to come down even further. I just saw the lowest price on Amazon today for xxxxx after keeping my eye on it. Should I wait no longer and just go for it? Or would the price be even lower on Black Friday? Don’t want to miss out on this but if it ends up going even lower within a month I’ll resist the urge.
You're not going to get an answer to this here as there is no price talk allowed like the forum title says. I know there is a 2018 OLED Deals thread where you can discuss this.

Oh, apologies! I admittedly glossed over the rules after signing up, I knew I should’ve read them fully as I had a feeling my question may not allowed to be answered here.

Just to be on topic though; is the C8 55” big enough or is the 65” better to give you a fuller 4K experience? I really wanted the 65” to get the best experience but the price is a bit steep and I’m unsure if I’m able to justify the additional cost just for an increase in screen size.

Also, is it bright enough for daylight viewing? I have a window right next to where I have my TV in the living room and family members will want to watch during the day. Is the screen very reflective in daylight or is it not too bothersome when the TV is actually displaying content?
post #7343 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4859 Post(s)
Liked: 7150
Quote:
Hi everyone!

New member and owner of a brand new C8. As my first OLED the image quality is amazing.
Welcome and congrats! It's a brilliant TV.

Quote:
Currently I am having one issue with my setup:
I have a Samsung K8500 Blu Ray Player connected with one HDMI output to the TV and the second to the receiver (Denon X6200), as I dont want to pass video through the receiver.
As others have said - you should. And you're going to have to anyway. I have the same player. See below.

Quote:
The problem is that I only get stereo to the receiver and not the uncompressed HD bitstream (TrueHD, DTSMA, etc). This worked beautifully with my previous TV (Samsung KS9000). Somehow having the LG connected to the Blu Ray player, forces the seconday output of the player to output stereo.

Passing both video and sound to the AVR with one HDMI link works ok, but I dont prefer this way as I dont trust my AVR with not touching the video stream
Well, it doesn't touch it if you turn the "i/p scaler" off, other than physically unpacking it and re-packing it to send out to the HDMI output socket.

This is actually a FAQ on the K8500 thread. It's because of the EDID that the LG TV is sending out, telling the player what audio formats it is capable of playing. The internal wiring of the dual HDMI output sockets on the K8500 is more akin to a HDMI splitter, they are not two independent HDMI outputs. . The upshot of this is that the K8500 drops down to the lowest common audio format that the "devices at the other end" (both TV and AVR) reply with.

This is not a problem with your previous TV; it's down to the peculiar combination of TWO non-standard things.
  1. LG's weird EDID on its HDMI sockets. Other TVs don't have this EDID and work fine, as you say, and
  2. Samsung being cheap and implementing it's "dual output" mode in a strange way.

The fix is very simple, and free - send both video and audio through the Denon AVR. Turn off "i/p scaler" on the Denon. If you're paranoid, turn off "Video conversion" too but then you'll lose your onscreen menus. Leaving it on does not interfere or process the picture passing through it in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There *should* be a setting in the player for this situation, which would eliminate audio on the #1 output when #2 output is active.
Not possible, because there isn't a separate #1 and #2 output! It's effectively internally wired as a single output, with a "HDMI splitter" inside the box.
escu likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 10-31-2018 at 01:13 PM.
post #7344 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh, apologies! I admittedly glossed over the rules after signing up, I knew I should’ve read them fully as I had a feeling my question may not allowed to be answered here.

Just to be on topic though; is the C8 55” big enough or is the 65” better to give you a fuller 4K experience? I really wanted the 65” to get the best experience but the price is a bit steep and I’m unsure if I’m able to justify the additional cost just for an increase in screen size.

Also, is it bright enough for daylight viewing? I have a window right next to where I have my TV in the living room and family members will want to watch during the day. Is the screen very reflective in daylight or is it not too bothersome when the TV is actually displaying content?
Bigger is always better, but you need to weigh the cost difference and whether it is worth it to you. Also, how far you are sitting from the display makes a big difference.

I watch during the daytime and my room has plenty of windows too, I think the TV is plenty bright enough. If you're coming from a plasma it is certainly brighter. The screen is fairly reflective though, in bright daylight a dark movie is a bit hard to watch, but brighter content is fine. I think my older LCD was maybe a tad less reflective but not a big difference.

Last edited by TallCoolOne; 10-31-2018 at 01:15 PM.
post #7345 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Welcome and congrats! It's a brilliant TV.

As others have said - you should. And you're going to have to anyway. I have the same player. See below.

Well, it doesn't touch it if you turn the "i/p scaler" off, other than physically unpacking it and re-packing it to send out to the HDMI output socket.

This is actually a FAQ on the K8500 thread. It's because of the EDID that the LG TV is sending out, telling the player what audio formats it is capable of playing. The internal wiring of the dual HDMI output sockets on the K8500 is more akin to a HDMI splitter, they are not two independent HDMI outputs. . The upshot of this is that the K8500 drops down to the lowest common audio format that the "devices at the other end" (both TV and AVR) reply with.

This is not a problem with your previous TV; it's down to the peculiar combination of TWO non-standard things.
  1. LG's weird EDID on its HDMI sockets. Other TVs don't have this EDID and work fine, as you say, and
  2. Samsung being cheap and implementing it's "dual output" mode in a strange way.

The fix is very simple, and free - send both video and audio through the Denon AVR. Turn off "i/p scaler" on the Denon. If you're paranoid, turn off "Video conversion" too but then you'll lose your onscreen menus. Leaving it on does not interfere or process the picture passing through it in any way.

Not possible, because there isn't a separate #1 and #2 output! It's effectively internally wired as a single output, with a "HDMI splitter" inside the box.
What a great and well documented answer: many many thanks for this!

I am thinking of a another solution: upgrading the BluRay Player. Anyway, it would be a pity to not have a DV capable player with this amazing TV.
Could you recommend one that doesn't exhibit such problems? The Oppo203 is a bit too expensive for me but I was thinking maybe a Panasonic 820 or a Sony X700.

PS. Yes, I know, I am paranoid and still would want a dual setup. Additionaly, this also brings the advantage of being able to configure settings independently per each HDMI input on the TV.
post #7346 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2307 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
What a great and well documented answer: many many thanks for this!

I am thinking of a another solution: upgrading the BluRay Player. Anyway, it would be a pity to not have a DV capable player with this amazing TV.
Could you recommend one that doesn't exhibit such problems? The Oppo203 is a bit too expensive for me but I was thinking maybe a Panasonic 820 or a Sony X700.

PS. Yes, I know, I am paranoid and still would want a dual setup. Additionaly, this also brings the advantage of being able to configure settings independently per each HDMI input on the TV.

Not to get too far off topic, but given how the Sony behaves with Dolby Vision I'd be looking at the Panasonic if your budget isn't a concern or LG's blu-ray player if you want to save a few bucks. I would not want to have to toggle DV on/off every time I played a disk. Your right about the Oppo, and it is overkill for most given what they sell for now unless you're someone (like me) who takes advantage of its universal features. I think you'll find a player that can to do Dolby Vision a nice step up from the Samsung with your new display that does Dolby Vision
lsorensen and mrtickleuk like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #7347 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Not to get too far off topic, but given how the Sony behaves with Dolby Vision I'd be looking at the Panasonic if your budget isn't a concern or LG's blu-ray player if you want to save a few bucks. I would not want to have to toggle DV on/off every time I played a disk. Your right about the Oppo, and it is overkill for most given what they sell for now unless you're someone (like me) who takes advantage of its universal features. I think you'll find a player that can to do Dolby Vision a nice step up from the Samsung with your new display that does Dolby Vision
What's the Sony's issue with DV? I had an Oppo and was thinking of getting the x700 for the bedroom.

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
post #7348 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
What's the Sony's issue with DV? I had an Oppo and was thinking of getting the x700 for the bedroom.
I was thinking of getting the Sony to compliment my Oppo as well, but the Sony forces you to toggle DV on or off, or just leaving it "on" will do funny things with non DV content. That's what I've read and it's scared me off. Maybe the LG or next years Sony players will be better.
srinivas1015 and lsorensen like this.
post #7349 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by J__Chris View Post
I was thinking of getting the Sony to compliment my Oppo as well, but the Sony forces you to toggle DV on or off, or just leaving it "on" will do funny things with non DV content. That's what I've read and it's scared me off. Maybe the LG or next years Sony players will be better.
But apart from that toggle, there's no issue, right? It can play everything properly once it's switched?

If the Sony is problematic, what about an LG player? Any issues with those?

I would've gone for an Xbox One X if it had supported DV on discs.

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
post #7350 of 21636 Old 10-31-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3448 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:

I purchased the LG UBK90 for my 65" C8 and it works great for my needs. The new Panasonic is what I was looking at but it was just too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page