2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 260 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80752Likes

post #7771 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am sorry if this has been discussed, but I just got a new C8 set up this afternoon. I am having issues with switching between sources. I have an Apple TV 4k, 4k Blu Ray player, PS4 Pro, and a Tivo. All is run through a Marantz pre/pro. When watching the Apple TV in 4k HDR, the tv automatically switches over to HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color, and HDR. Everything is fine until you switch back over to the non 4k Tivo. The TV says no signal, and will not work unless I manually go and turn the HD Deep Color back off. I have all new HDMI cables, and checked each one.

The strange thing is that while the TV says no signal, I can still adjust the Marantz pre/pro with the GUI, on the tv. So the receiver seems to be able to send a signal over to the TV, but it cannot pick up the Tivo signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
Having issues in both directions. From 4k to 1080p, and then again from 1080p to 4k.

Last edited by caw789; 11-09-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7772 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by caw789 View Post
I am sorry if this has been discussed, but I just got a new C8 set up this afternoon. I am having issues with switching between sources. I have an Apple TV 4k, 4k Blu Ray player, PS4 Pro, and a Tivo. All is run through a Marantz pre/pro. When watching the Apple TV in 4k HDR, the tv automatically switches over to HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color, and HDR. Everything is fine until you switch back over to the non 4k Tivo. The TV says no signal, and will not work unless I manually go and turn the HD Deep Color back off. I have all new HDMI cables, and checked each one.

The strange thing is that while the TV says no signal, I can still adjust the Marantz pre/pro with the GUI, on the tv. So the receiver seems to be able to send a signal over to the TV, but it cannot pick up the Tivo signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Because the TV/Telly/Set sees the receiver hdmi outputs as 1 hdmi output.
So then maybe you should just put the Tivo in the hdmi output on the back of the tv with Deep color turned off.
post #7773 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise666 View Post
So then maybe you should just put the Tivo in the hdmi output on the back of the tv with Deep color turned off.
That will be difficult, the way my room is set up. All of the components are in a closet. Not to mention, I have the PS4, blu ray, etc. Its happening when you switch back and forth from any input.

Its abut a 25' run, I ordered an active HDMI cable from Monoprice. Will see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7774 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatus View Post
Yeah I can understand that. But the Sony KD65X9005B I had before it was miles better at upscaling than the LG.

Edit: Forgot to mention I use the Blu-ray player to stream Netflix too and it's better on there than the built in app.
Sony is better but its been a long time since I have seen anything do an amazing job upscaling, If you want to see 4K, you have to get it pure from the start, filmed in 4K, transferred in 4K.
post #7775 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yes but some people don't want to guess, they want to try some settings which are perhaps more accurate than "out of the box" (verified by people with the equipment) without paying for a full-on calibration of their own. There is nothing at all wrong with @escu wanting this!

This is fair enough as well. Only you are in your room with your lighting. But people can advise each other. Glad to see it's happening

Please let's not get into conflating two very different things.

(A) Some people want accuracy to the standards. If they want accuracy, and are asking for accuracy, no-one at all should hinder them in this goal. They paid a lot of money and perhaps they want the ultimate accuracy. AVSforum is Audio Video SCIENCE. Audiophile and Videophile accuracy is at the very core of this forum, and always will be. (For me, an important part of that is teaching people without meters never to use other people's white balance/CMS values!)

(B) Other people just want to "adjust to taste", and have whatever they prefer the look of without regards to accuracy. This is fine, and there is room in the world for both groups.

But please, please do not conflate these two very different goals. Please do not say that A=B (perhaps you weren't but that's how it sounded to me).

If someone is seeking (A), they are welcome here, and we will help them. This is an owner's thread, and discussion of settings is on topic. I'm sorry you don't want to hear this, but that's it.
It's obvious we have had a miss communication of the words use. I got the same response in Amsterdam once we I spoke at the RAI Congress Center, had a lot of questions after I came off stage. I am from the Middle south USA and we play on phrases and words from time to time. So let me clear a few things up for you and try to be very clear so you will not have figure out how this sounds to you.

1. 99.9% of the questions asked on this forum have No Science related answer what so ever.( mostly which switch to Flip)

2. 99.9% of the people on this forum have no equipment to make the adjustments suggested on this forum.

3. 99.9 % of the people on this forum rely on some of us who have the equipment to give them the settings for their display (i.e Gray scale, Color management system and such) which has already been successfully and finally been determine to not work from Display to Display let alone manufacture.

4. I was only trying to help the people on here who do not have a Colorimeter, Reference Pattern Generator, software and skill to do so correctly. To be able to adjust their Display to some reasonable satisfaction and enjoyment they could actually work at Home. The reason for this is because without the previous stated equipment their is NO SCIENCE.

I have never posted anything in any forum that I did not think at the time was correct. I have seen many poster over the years post things that are completely false, mostly because they think one bit of advice applies all the time.
Do you know where the term 6500 Kelvin temperature originated from ? I'll give you a hint you won't find it in Wikipedia.
To all others who have helped me on this forum over the years thank you.
I was just trying to Help Others Navigate the BS on this SCIENCE FORUM.
I heard you loud and clear

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #7776 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
It's obvious we have had a miss communication of the words use. I got the same response in Amsterdam once we I spoke at the RAI Congress Center, had a lot of questions after I came off stage. I am from the Middle south USA and we play on phrases and words from time to time. So let me clear a few things up for you and try to be very clear so you will not have figure out how this sounds to you.

1. 99.9% of the questions asked on this forum have No Science related answer what so ever.( mostly which switch to Flip)

2. 99.9% of the people on this forum have no equipment to make the adjustments suggested on this forum.

3. 99.9 % of the people on this forum rely on some of us who have the equipment to give them the settings for their display (i.e Gray scale, Color management system and such) which has already been successfully and finally been determine to not work from Display to Display let alone manufacture.

4. I was only trying to help the people on here who do not have a Colorimeter, Reference Pattern Generator, software and skill to do so correctly. To be able to adjust their Display to some reasonable satisfaction and enjoyment they could actually work at Home. The reason for this is because without the previous stated equipment their is NO SCIENCE.

I have never posted anything in any forum that I did not think at the time was correct. I have seen many poster over the years post things that are completely false, mostly because they think one bit of advice applies all the time.
Do you know where the term 6500 Kelvin temperature originated from ? I'll give you a hint you won't find it in Wikipedia.
To all others who have helped me on this forum over the years thank you.
I was just trying to Help Others Navigate the BS on this SCIENCE FORUM.
I heard you loud and clear

Yes you are right and thats why that guy was just asking for basic settings, not CMS settings from Rtings or users here.
post #7777 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Personally, I think we should direct people to ether a sticky, a wiki or ask them to do a search when ever the ‘what settings should I use’ comes up....EVERY DAMNED DAY!! It would stop a lot of arguing and filling this place up with the same old stuff day after day after day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7778 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:

That’s a potential solution but certainly not one he should need to do

OP, if you start off watching a non-HDR source, ie TiVo, can you see the picture then?

post #7779 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post
Personally, I think we should direct people to ether a sticky, a wiki or ask them to do a search when ever the ‘what settings should I use’ comes up....EVERY DAMNED DAY!! It would stop a lot of arguing and filling this place up with the same old stuff day after day after day!

Yes,if they would just take the effort to read back a few pages then they know the answer. I dont understand why ppl ask questions without searching on the forum.
StumpyBloke and mrtickleuk like this.
post #7780 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Yes,if they would just take the effort to read back a few pages then they know the answer. I dont understand why ppl ask questions without searching on the forum.

If only! Too many ‘entitled’ around these days!

mrtickleuk likes this.
post #7781 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
That’s a potential solution but certainly not one he should need to do

OP, if you start off watching a non-HDR source, ie TiVo, can you see the picture then?

Yes. The issue seems to be when mainly going from 4k to 1080p. I have a Tivo Vox, that is able to display in 4k. I may try locking it in 4k, instead of Auto, which switches between 4k and 1080p.
post #7782 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Hi all

I may be getting my first OLED TV very soon and an LG C8 is at the top of my list. Been looking into something and I can't seem to find a straight answer. Does any of the 2018 models playback 3D?

Thanks!
post #7783 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
Yeah I can understand that. But the Sony KD65X9005B I had before it was miles better at upscaling than the LG.

Edit: Forgot to mention I use the Blu-ray player to stream Netflix too and it's better on there than the built in app.
Sony is better but its been a long time since I have seen anything do an amazing job upscaling, If you want to see 4K, you have to get it pure from the start, filmed in 4K, transferred in 4K.
Yeah it is an uphill battle. I was watching something on my 40” 1080p lcd that was 720p source and it looked great. But smaller screen size and not having to scale to 4K makes a big difference.
post #7784 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Got my hdr question answered. What about sharpness, 0 or 10 (default)?
post #7785 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Hi all

I may be getting my first OLED TV very soon and an LG C8 is at the top of my list. Been looking into something and I can't seem to find a straight answer. Does any of the 2018 models playback 3D?

Thanks!
NO
Rolls-Royce likes this.
post #7786 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard8times View Post
NO

Not at all huh? They just completely dropped it? So playing a 3D movie in my 3D Blu-Ray player wont do anything?
post #7787 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Still in love with my C8, still looks perfect and still refuse to look at any grey scales haha.
Glenee, ma1746, jboileau and 3 others like this.
post #7788 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3737
^right attitude!
Glenee and TimRex like this.
post #7789 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
Not at all huh? They just completely dropped it? So playing a 3D movie in my 3D Blu-Ray player wont do anything?
You'll be able to watch the 2D programming only. The current sets are not 3D capable.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #7790 of 21663 Old 11-09-2018, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Will a harmony remote work with an LG OLED without issue? I know they come with a wiimote kind of remote control but I’d like to just use my harmony.
post #7791 of 21663 Old 11-10-2018, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
And contrast 84 brightens the lower bar (18 or 19) more then contrast 85.
So i have it at 84. Every 3 steps higher contrast setting this happens.
Quick question, what if anything did you adjust for colour? I got my tint and luminance bang on but when I popped in a copy of HDR Mad Max: Fury Road I saw pixelating and interference in dark scenes and the blue sky (Kind of like what you see when you're streaming and don't have a quick enough internet speed).
post #7792 of 21663 Old 11-10-2018, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi folks, quick question about brightness on this oleds . Lets say i play movie with black bars through usb. Movie resolution is 1920x800 (means that black bars are cut off, its nothing there). If brightness is increased; does that affect just the movie area, or also black space top & bottom screen?
post #7793 of 21663 Old 11-10-2018, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you.

rgds
Quote:
I haven't actually tried the in built speakers, I have a 5.1.2 dolby atmos setup through a Denon amp so haven't needed to use them. I'll give it a listen and let you know, but it's going to sound quiet to me no matter what having only watched it with the atmos / surround setup.
post #7794 of 21663 Old 11-10-2018, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thanks for info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
Honestly, a dedicated soundbar or home theatre setup will sound a million times better then the E8 inbuilt soundbar. The E7 soundbar was much better then the little strip with tiny speakers found on the E8. I've had both C8 and E8. Started with C8 and switched to the E8. The sound was better on the C8. I am now back with a C8 and the difference in price I bought a Bose soundbar. Much better sound then what the E8 can give. The soundbars can bounce the sound off of walls and the ceiling to create a more immersive soundstage. The E8 can only fire sound forward from its "soundbar", which honestly is not much of a soundbar.
post #7795 of 21663 Old 11-10-2018, 03:56 AM

Got more time to mess around with the tv. I have to go in and change the Ultra Deep setting each time I change an input. I have to also restart the Apple TV half the time I switch to it from say the PS4. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Its not possible to connect all of the devices straight to the tv, not for the price of this tv. My father has a B7, and does not have this issue. Maybe its a setting I am not aware of?

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Another quick question. Does anyone know if the PS4 Pro can display HDR all the time, from the dashboard, etc, or only while in a supported game.

EDIT:

When I connect the SDR Tivo directly to the TV, the Deep Color setting works fine. Someone mentioned earlier the TV sees only one input from the receiver. Surely LG cant expect users of this TV to not use a receiver in their set up.

Last edited by caw789; 11-10-2018 at 04:27 AM.
post #7796 of 21663 Old 11-10-2018, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4867 Post(s)
Liked: 7160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
It's obvious we have had a miss communication of the words use.
Yes. If you hadn't implied (paraphrasing) "accuracy" = "what looks good to someone without equipment", I probably wouldn't have replied. I posted because I felt that one key element was too important to leave alone.

Quote:
Sorry but I don't agree with that part. People should never "rely on" such things - every panel is different and you should never use white balance or CMS settings from another person's calibration if you want accuracy.

That's another key point. People without the equipment should NOT be using anyone else's CMS or White Balance settings. And if people with the equipment (well-meaning, "don't use these but here you are if you want to play", or otherwise) didn't share those values, it wouldn't happen either!

For example, there is one outstandingly idiotic YouTuber who regularly uploads what he calls "calibration settings". They are one panel's specific settings which include CMS and White Balance values . In another video he's given "screen cleaning" advice which would have destroyed the coating on most modern LCDs. He "reviews" firmware upgrades pointing out his imagined changes in picture quality in fine detail. He has a large following of sycophantic people asking his advice and hanging on his every word. It's tragic and hilarious at the same time. We can't stop him doing it since he's proved many times he is immune to constructive feedback. All we can do is educate people here.

Quote:
Yes you are right and thats why that guy was just asking for basic settings, not CMS settings from Rtings or users here.
Exactly, yes!

lsorensen likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 11-10-2018 at 04:38 AM.
post #7797 of 21663 Old 11-10-2018, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Will a harmony remote work with an LG OLED without issue? I know they come with a wiimote kind of remote control but I’d like to just use my harmony.
The Harmony remote will control the TV using a Hub or Infrared. The command set is complete and includes a few buttons not present on the LG remote.

However your Harmony does not have a microphone, so you will need the LG remote if you want to use those features that the microphone enables. Also the wiimote like control of the LG remote is not available with the Harmony remote.

I use a Harmony remote for my entire home theater. I added a wireless mouse to the LG to get cursor control. I have never used my voice to control a TV, so I am not missing the microphone.

LeRoy

LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ920, Panasonic DP-UB820, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AT&T Gigabit Internet & U-verse
post #7798 of 21663 Old 11-10-2018, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4867 Post(s)
Liked: 7160
Quote:
If only! Too many ‘entitled’ around these days!
Yep. Yesterday I called someone up on another thread for their "drive-by" posting, refusing to read back a few pages before asking or - heaven forfend - actually searching first. The only reply should have been "oh yeah, sorry". Instead, I got a load of abuse, and a bunch of sock-puppet accounts "liked" the abusive post!

ADB:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Got my hdr question answered. What about sharpness, 0 or 10 (default)?
0. FAQ.

Quote:
It will play in 2D. The entire TV and movie industry has moved on from their disastrous 3D fad. Have you been on Mars? 3D was dropped from most 2016 models, and all 2017 models onwards.

They didn't "just" completely drop it, it was only dropped after very careful and extensive research into why it bombed, sales figures, what people liked, headaches, eye-strain, hassle, all the downsides, etc. If they had thought it was a good idea you can guarantee it would still be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaddy View Post
Hi folks, quick question about brightness on this oleds . Lets say i play movie with black bars through usb. Movie resolution is 1920x800 (means that black bars are cut off, its nothing there). If brightness is increased; does that affect just the movie area, or also black space top & bottom screen?
All adjustments affect the whole screen.
StumpyBloke likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #7799 of 21663 Old 11-10-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caw789 View Post
Got more time to mess around with the tv. I have to go in and change the Ultra Deep setting each time I change an input. I have to also restart the Apple TV half the time I switch to it from say the PS4. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Its not possible to connect all of the devices straight to the tv, not for the price of this tv. My father has a B7, and does not have this issue. Maybe its a setting I am not aware of?

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Another quick question. Does anyone know if the PS4 Pro can display HDR all the time, from the dashboard, etc, or only while in a supported game.

EDIT:

When I connect the SDR Tivo directly to the TV, the Deep Color setting works fine. Someone mentioned earlier the TV sees only one input from the receiver. Surely LG cant expect users of this TV to not use a receiver in their set up.
So I took everything off the receiver and plugged directly into the TV itself. No issues whatsoever. Dolby Vision works on the Apple TV, PS4 works fine with the Deep Black enabled.

Any idea why the receiver would be presenting such a problem?
post #7800 of 21663 Old 11-10-2018, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Sorry but I don't agree with that part. People should never "rely on" such things - every panel is different and you should never use white balance or CMS settings from another person's calibration if you want accuracy.
I think that's exactly what Glenee was saying.. that relying on such things does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page