2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 261 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80733Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7801 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Glenee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,768
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRex View Post
I think that's exactly what Glenee was saying.. that relying on such things does not work.
Thanks Tim that's exactly what I was saying.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
Glenee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7802 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,541
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaddy View Post
Hi folks, quick question about brightness on this oleds . Lets say i play movie with black bars through usb. Movie resolution is 1920x800 (means that black bars are cut off, its nothing there). If brightness is increased; does that affect just the movie area, or also black space top & bottom screen?
Effects everything to a degree.....
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #7803 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,789
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post
If only! Too many ‘entitled’ around these days!
Yep. Yesterday I called someone up on another thread for their "drive-by" posting, refusing to read back a few pages before asking or - heaven forfend - actually searching first. The only reply should have been "oh yeah, sorry". Instead, I got a load of abuse, and a bunch of sock-puppet accounts "liked" the abusive post!

ADB:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Got my hdr question answered. What about sharpness, 0 or 10 (default)?
0. FAQ. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Not at all huh? They just completely dropped it? So playing a 3D movie in my 3D Blu-Ray player wont do anything?
It will play in 2D. The entire TV and movie industry has moved on from their disastrous 3D fad. Have you been on Mars? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] 3D was dropped from most 2016 models, and all 2017 models onwards.

They didn't "just" completely drop it, it was only dropped after very careful and extensive research into why it bombed, sales figures, what people liked, headaches, eye-strain, hassle, all the downsides, etc. If they had thought it was a good idea you can guarantee it would still be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaddy View Post
Hi folks, quick question about brightness on this oleds . Lets say i play movie with black bars through usb. Movie resolution is 1920x800 (means that black bars are cut off, its nothing there). If brightness is increased; does that affect just the movie area, or also black space top & bottom screen?
All adjustments affect the whole screen.
Where’s this FAQ?
guitarguy316 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7804 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4859 Post(s)
Liked: 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
Thanks Tim that's exactly what I was saying.
Cool, in that case I do agree after all

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #7805 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4859 Post(s)
Liked: 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Where’s this FAQ?
Sorry, my apologies, I was so brief in my reply it wasn't actually helpful. I meant "your question is a faq", and also gave the answer (0)

It's been discussed over the past week in this thread so if you read back a few pages you'll see several animated GIFs showing what sharpness 0 looks like compared with sharpness 10, and it's clear that sharpness 0 is the "untouched" value.

HTH

Separately, @LiQiCE started a faq in this post on his Wiki page which we are gradually adding to, but it doesn't have the "Sharpness 0 is the one" bit in it yet, so if you jumped to that place it wouldn't actually answer the question today.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #7806 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
LiQiCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Sorry, my apologies, I was so brief in my reply it wasn't actually helpful. I meant "your question is a faq", and also gave the answer (0)

It's been discussed over the past week in this thread so if you read back a few pages you'll see several animated GIFs showing what sharpness 0 looks like compared with sharpness 10, and it's clear that sharpness 0 is the "untouched" value.

HTH

Separately, @LiQiCE started a faq in this post on his Wiki page which we are gradually adding to, but it doesn't have the "Sharpness 0 is the one" bit in it yet, so if you jumped to that place it wouldn't actually answer the question today.
Added in the FAQ that a sharpness setting of 0 is recommended if you want the picture left completely untouched. If you can link to the pictures of the GIFs I can reference those posts in the Wiki.

Wiki URL for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ry8n_C/sandbox

Anyone think we're at the point where I should move the wiki to a URL that makes more sense?
jboileau and pennywise666 like this.
LiQiCE is offline  
post #7807 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4859 Post(s)
Liked: 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQiCE View Post
Added in the FAQ that a sharpness setting of 0 is recommended if you want the picture left completely untouched. If you can link to the pictures of the GIFs I can reference those posts in the Wiki.

Wiki URL for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ry8n_C/sandbox

Anyone think we're at the point where I should move the wiki to a URL that makes more sense?
Cool! It was @jk82 's post here . And we could also do with "Q. Does Real Cinema do any frame interpolation or alter the picture in any way? A: No."
LiQiCE likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #7808 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,071
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yes but some people don't want to guess, they want to try some settings which are perhaps more accurate than "out of the box" (verified by people with the equipment) without paying for a full-on calibration of their own. There is nothing at all wrong with @escu wanting this!



This is fair enough as well. Only you are in your room with your lighting. But people can advise each other. Glad to see it's happening



Please let's not get into conflating two very different things.

(A) Some people want accuracy to the standards. If they want accuracy, and are asking for accuracy, no-one at all should hinder them in this goal. They paid a lot of money and perhaps they want the ultimate accuracy. AVSforum is Audio Video SCIENCE. Audiophile and Videophile accuracy is at the very core of this forum, and always will be. (For me, an important part of that is teaching people without meters never to use other people's white balance/CMS values!)

(B) Other people just want to "adjust to taste", and have whatever they prefer the look of without regards to accuracy. This is fine, and there is room in the world for both groups.

But please, please do not conflate these two very different goals. Please do not say that A=B (perhaps you weren't but that's how it sounded to me).

If someone is seeking (A), they are welcome here, and we will help them. This is an owner's thread, and discussion of settings is on topic. I'm sorry you don't want to hear this, but that's it.
I agree. The bottom line is whatever looks best to the user’s eyes and viewing environment are the correct settings to use. We can post suggested settings based on review sites, personal experience, adjustments with a disk, and even a professional calibration. But they are only recommendations and suggestions and should not be posted as the ONLY proper settings to use. We are here to help, carefully advise, and point out any pitfalls to be aware of (like entering the SM). A lot of folks don’t like a professionally calibrated panel because it’s not for them or what they are used to, which is fine. We need to help everyone enjoy their panels and get the most out of them without implying that they are wrong if they don’t use such and such settings.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #7809 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 2,718
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatus View Post
White Balance : Warm 2 with a properly calibrated Greyscale. Some may prefer Warm 1 without calibration as Warm 2 is a little too yellow out of the box.
This was a helpful comment for me. I have tweaked my new C8 a few times over the first month of use and everything was looking really good, but I was watching some things last night and a couple of faces to me seemed to have a very very slight yellow tinge. It was only on a few programs, and it was almost unnoticeable unless you were really examining the picture closely for color accuracy. This comment came to my mind and so I switched to Warm 1 and now everything looks perfect.
smitty is offline  
post #7810 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
The Harmony remote will control the TV using a Hub or Infrared. The command set is complete and includes a few buttons not present on the LG remote.

However your Harmony does not have a microphone, so you will need the LG remote if you want to use those features that the microphone enables. Also the wiimote like control of the LG remote is not available with the Harmony remote.

I use a Harmony remote for my entire home theater. I added a wireless mouse to the LG to get cursor control. I have never used my voice to control a TV, so I am not missing the microphone.

LeRoy
Thanks for the reply. I should be all set. Looks like I am indeed getting my first OLED Today. I can't believe it! I have an Apple TV and use most of my streaming apps on that so I am not sure how much, if any, I will use the built in LG apps. But as long as I can move the cursor around and do all that with my Harmony I should be good. To be clear can I move about the LG without the wiimote like cursor control? Will it just move from item to item like a standard remote would?

Thanks
zeonstar is online now  
post #7811 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Not at all huh? They just completely dropped it? So playing a 3D movie in my 3D Blu-Ray player wont do anything?
It will play in 2D. The entire TV and movie industry has moved on from their disastrous 3D fad. Have you been on Mars? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] 3D was dropped from most 2016 models, and all 2017 models onwards.

They didn't "just" completely drop it, it was only dropped after very careful and extensive research into why it bombed, sales figures, what people liked, headaches, eye-strain, hassle, all the downsides, etc. If they had thought it was a good idea you can guarantee it would still be there.
I actually did not know it was dropped as I had not needed to look into it until now. My last TV was bought in early 2011. I’ve known 3D wasn’t doing well and it’s getting harder and harder to find 3D versions of movies in the US. But yeah I’m still a bit surprised it’s gone completely. Then again I don’t know how much resources it takes to add it to a tv these days. I imagine if it was minimal impact they would of left it in.
mrtickleuk likes this.
zeonstar is online now  
post #7812 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Oxn
Member
 
Oxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is direct sunlight harmful to the tv?
Oxn is offline  
post #7813 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4859 Post(s)
Liked: 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I actually did not know it was dropped as I had not needed to look into it until now. My last TV was bought in early 2011. I’ve known 3D wasn’t doing well and it’s getting harder and harder to find 3D versions of movies in the US. But yeah I’m still a bit surprised it’s gone completely. Then again I don’t know how much resources it takes to add it to a tv these days. I imagine if it was minimal impact they would of left it in.
Indeed. Another factor is because it's been dropped throughout the whole industry, it means there is no 4K 3D standard, and so everything would have to be up-scaled to 4K. Up-scaling 3D to 4K would need time and resources being spent on that function in the whole video pipeline, and this includes the Alpha9 processor.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #7814 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Good morning all

I was wondering is there a post in this thread or elsewhere that is sort of an FAQ for the 2018 LG OLEDS? As a comparison there are threads for Denon AVRs that compare models, explain differences, known issues. etc. I'm hoping to find something similar here. I'm close to buying a 2018 LG OLED C8 later today and just want to be well informed of any quirks or issues they have before I drop that much money.


Edit: Is there a place I can educate myself about burn in and how to avoid it? The stories I hear about burn in has me a bit concerned.

Thank you.

Last edited by zeonstar; 11-10-2018 at 10:44 AM.
zeonstar is online now  
post #7815 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Indeed. Another factor is because it's been dropped throughout the whole industry, it means there is no 4K 3D standard, and so everything would have to be up-scaled to 4K. Up-scaling 3D to 4K would need time and resources being spent on that function in the whole video pipeline, and this includes the Alpha9 processor.
Yeah I always thought it was odd there was no 4K 3D, which was never a good fan. I was never the biggest fan of 3D, but I enjoyed it ok. I am happy with the use I got out of it. I probably have about 80 3D Blu-rays out of 600 movies. My obsession lately has been Dolby Atmos and getting that in most cases has meant the 4K version of movies over 3D versions anyway which I was more than fine with. But now it looks like I am actually getting my first 4K TV so I am even more glad I already have a small collection of 4K content.

Anyway thank you again for your input.
zeonstar is online now  
post #7816 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
StumpyBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 113
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxn View Post
Is direct sunlight harmful to the tv?


Yes. Reports over on the other other forum report as such.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by StumpyBloke; 11-10-2018 at 12:31 PM.
StumpyBloke is online now  
post #7817 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 12:27 PM
Member
 
Thanatus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
This was a helpful comment for me. I have tweaked my new C8 a few times over the first month of use and everything was looking really good, but I was watching some things last night and a couple of faces to me seemed to have a very very slight yellow tinge. It was only on a few programs, and it was almost unnoticeable unless you were really examining the picture closely for color accuracy. This comment came to my mind and so I switched to Warm 1 and now everything looks perfect.
Glad I could help
Thanatus is offline  
post #7818 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,071
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Thanks for the reply. I should be all set. Looks like I am indeed getting my first OLED Today. I can't believe it! I have an Apple TV and use most of my streaming apps on that so I am not sure how much, if any, I will use the built in LG apps. But as long as I can move the cursor around and do all that with my Harmony I should be good. To be clear can I move about the LG without the wiimote like cursor control? Will it just move from item to item like a standard remote would?

Thanks
I use a Harmony 700 to control the C8, ATV4k, receiver, and the LG UBK90. I don’t bother with any of the LG’s streaming apps and have not had any issues navigating any of the menus on any of the devices by using the arrow keys on the Harmony.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #7819 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
zeonstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I use a Harmony 700 to control the C8, ATV4k, receiver, and the LG UBK90. I don’t bother with any of the LG’s streaming apps and have not had any issues navigating any of the menus on any of the devices by using the arrow keys on the Harmony.


Thats perfect. We have almost the exact same equipment. I did end up purchasing the C8 65 inch. I can hardly believe I got it. My wife finally said yes. I have literally wanted an OLED for years. Have not had a chance to set it up, got stuff going on at home. I'll get to it tonight.

I actually bought a UBK90 as well so I would have a Dolby Vision player. How is it? I was considering the Sony x700 but I heard it does not have auto HDR which sounds incredibly annoying. I actually just got a UP870 a few months ago when I started getting into Dolby Atmos and I was just able to return it. It was my first LG player but I loved how fast it was. The UBK90 has all the streaming stuff I will never use, but I just wanted DV.

Anyway would love your impressions on the player. Which OLED did you say you had?
mrtickleuk likes this.
zeonstar is online now  
post #7820 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxn View Post
Is direct sunlight harmful to the tv?
Yes, it can cause what looks to be like image retention on the areas of the display that the direct sunlight hits. The good news is they will diminish with time. To be safe I’d avoid if possible. If you search the forum you should see this discussed in the 6 or 7 series threads.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is offline  
post #7821 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Oxn
Member
 
Oxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post
Yes. Reports over on the other other forum report as such.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Yes, it can cause what looks to be like image retention on the areas of the display that the direct sunlight hits. The good news is they will diminish with time. To be safe I’d avoid if possible. If you search the forum you should see this discussed in the 6 or 7 series threads.
Thanks.
Oxn is offline  
post #7822 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
C8 and Gaming

I searched this thread and read a few posts that came up, but didn't really find anything that directly addresses how the C8 performs with gaming related tasks. Right now I have a KS8000, which no matter how much calibrating I do, just keeps crushing the blacks. When I have a contrast test pattern up, no matter what I do, there's usually 1-2 bars before the line that are all one big black bar. If I try and play a game with a particularly dark area, or watch a TV show like Daredevil where most of it takes place at night, it gets hard to see. I'm also starting to get some edge lighting bleed in one corner and I'm not a huge fan of the VA panel's viewing angles. So, I have been eyeing the C8 as a potential replacement.

I am not a twitch gamer. I mostly play JRPGs like Final Fantasy, but sometimes I enjoy a good action game like Halo or Tomb Raider; only console games, no PC gaming of any kind. When it comes to gaming with the KS8000 I have no complaints, and I don't use the game mode ever. My main concern is with ghosting or motion blur being visible during particularly fast moving parts of a game. Looking at the RTings specs, the C8 seems to trounce the KS8000 in pretty much every category, but I'd love to get some comments from actual owners.
aerogems1 is offline  
post #7823 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 09:01 PM
TWD
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2018 View Post
Home->Photos&videos->Video Samples

but I think only one of them is Dolby Vision
When I go to sample videos, it tells me “No photo files or folders exist in store device.

Am I doing something wrong?

TWD
TWD is offline  
post #7824 of 21641 Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,071
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Thats perfect. We have almost the exact same equipment. I did end up purchasing the C8 65 inch. I can hardly believe I got it. My wife finally said yes. I have literally wanted an OLED for years. Have not had a chance to set it up, got stuff going on at home. I'll get to it tonight.

I actually bought a UBK90 as well so I would have a Dolby Vision player. How is it? I was considering the Sony x700 but I heard it does not have auto HDR which sounds incredibly annoying. I actually just got a UP870 a few months ago when I started getting into Dolby Atmos and I was just able to return it. It was my first LG player but I loved how fast it was. The UBK90 has all the streaming stuff I will never use, but I just wanted DV.

Anyway would love your impressions on the player. Which OLED did you say you had?
I have the 65” LG OLED C8. We’ve only used the UBK 90 on a couple of movies but so far it’s worked great. I let the C8 do all the upscaling when necessary. I don’t use any of the LG streaming apps because the ATV4k is perfect for what we need.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #7825 of 21641 Old 11-11-2018, 02:57 AM
Newbie
 
CobaltSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently upgraded my 65" B7 to a 65" C8 and so far I've been very happy with the upgrade. But I did notice some "dark splotches" in some scenes. They have improved with some use but they are still there.

Right now I only have 36 hours on it. Should I try to play the panel lottery? Do you think I got a decent one? Will it go away with time?

I'm mainly concerned with the one in the bottom left corner right above the "20%" text. I might be being a little too anal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181111_055012.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	2480942  

LG 65" OLED C8 | Denon X4300H | SVS Prime Speakers | SVS PB-4000 Sub
CobaltSS is offline  
post #7826 of 21641 Old 11-11-2018, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4859 Post(s)
Liked: 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post
When I go to sample videos, it tells me “No photo files or folders exist in store device.

Am I doing something wrong?
Hmm. Try going up to the top row of icons and change to "thumbnail view". If I'm in "date view", I get the same error as you describe.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #7827 of 21641 Old 11-11-2018, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,789
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltSS View Post
Recently upgraded my 65" B7 to a 65" C8 and so far I've been very happy with the upgrade. But I did notice some "dark splotches" in some scenes. They have improved with some use but they are still there.

Right now I only have 36 hours on it. Should I try to play the panel lottery? Do you think I got a decent one? Will it go away with time?

I'm mainly concerned with the one in the bottom left corner right above the "20%" text. I might be being a little too anal.
Looks fine to me. Can you see in content? What’s the 5% look like?
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #7828 of 21641 Old 11-11-2018, 05:38 AM
Newbie
 
CobaltSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Looks fine to me. Can you see in content? What’s the 5% look like?
Nope, can't see it in content, just on solid greys. Just tried 5% and you can still see it faintly. It was a lot worse when I first got it so maybe it will just go away with time as it has gotten better after 36 hours usage. I'd really hate to do a manual pixel refresh because I know those are kinda rough on the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181111_083341.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	655.0 KB
ID:	2480966  

LG 65" OLED C8 | Denon X4300H | SVS Prime Speakers | SVS PB-4000 Sub
CobaltSS is offline  
post #7829 of 21641 Old 11-11-2018, 07:05 AM
Senior Member
 
pennywise666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 86
^ Nice curtains
pennywise666 is offline  
post #7830 of 21641 Old 11-11-2018, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,541
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I agree. The bottom line is whatever looks best to the user’s eyes and viewing environment are the correct settings to use.
True that, does not matter what anyone else thinks.....
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off