2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 311 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78898Likes

post #9301 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would manually installing the 04.10.15 firmware from the LG Austrian page brick the tv?

w w w.l g.com/at/service/service-produkt/lg-OLED55C8LLA

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9302 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwecker View Post
Update:

LG will replace my panel tomorrow. They have determined that his issue is not within specifications and that the whole panel needs to be replaced. They will do so under warranty, so no charge. A technicial will come by tomorrow morning and do this right in my living room.

I will update again once I have checked my new panel. Fingers crossed!

Last update:
LG Tech was just here and replaced the whole panel. Process took about 25 minutes. New panel looks great, issue is gone. Settings and everything still there, because of course the mainboard and everything stay.

I checked the box of the replacement panel. It was shipped by LG on November 18th, so irs fairly new I guess? Are there any differences/silent refreshes by LG to improve the panel over the product lifecycle?

All in all LG has been really great and quick to resolve this to my satisfaction. Unlike Samsung, who I fought with over 6 months because the TV was broken. Great customer service, glad I switched.

EDIT: just to add, I just checked the 5% banding test (I know, I shouldn't, but I had to). Looks gread, you really have to look closely for any uniformity issues now. Of course, the panel will need time and change a bit, but I'm optimistic that this is a better panel than the one my TV shipped with.
Guttboy, ma1746 and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by schwecker; 12-05-2018 at 01:27 AM.
post #9303 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 01:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazepharmacist View Post
hey couple quick questions for a new c8 owner with a ps4 pro. in ps4 i have rgb range set to full, hdr set to auto, deep color- auto and on my c8 i'm not sure what to set black level to. I think high correlates with rgb full? also some questions on audio- i'm just using the tv speakers now. I have dolby atmos on, i did the one touch sound tuning, and i have the audio preset set to game (since i'm playing games but not sure if that's actually optimal or what it actually does or if i should just leave it to standard). And i'm not sure what adaptive sound control does and if i should leave that off or turn it on. Any thoughts? Thanks.
PS4 limited and tv black level low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippididaabidoo View Post
Would manually installing the 04.10.15 firmware from the LG Austrian page brick the tv?

w w w.l g.com/at/service/service-produkt/lg-OLED55C8LLA

It won’t work. USA TVs don’t recognize other firmware except from Korea site.
venkman781 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9304 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
@calfcramp and @Markalark

After updating your fw, you guys went back into the SM and reverted from Engineer back to User mode, right?
I did!
post #9305 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothmessiah View Post
Hi people, i recently bought my first OLED being the LG OLED C8 and google this thread to ask for help on something that is really bothering me.

I have connected my PC to my TV via HDMI from my Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti to HDMI1 TV Input, also enable Ultra Deep Color so i can have Full Color in Windows 10.

The problem is, no matter what i do, i always get Videos from my PC with stuttering and i know for sure is not VLC or my PowerDVD related problem, happens with all PC video players i can think off.

Reading a lot seems all OLED suffers in some extent from Stuttering playing 24hz Blurays, but thought the C8 was the less prone to Stutter.

I have tried LG C8 Options Menu and played with RealCinema On/Off and use TruMotion feature (which i don´t like to use because of artifacts in video images) and none of this really takes away the horrible stutter in video media playback.

Have you guys found related stuttering problems, perhaps from your Windows 10 PC Movies and or Videos?

Hope someone can help me. My OLED TV firmware is the latest. (forgot to mention)

Regards,

Aris

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tor_ View Post
I just picked up an LG C8. To avoid the soap opera effect I’ve disabled TruMotion completely, and as expected I’m now experiencing stuttering issues. I’ve listed the relevant devices connected to the TV below together with some key information.

Any advice on relevant settings, including refresh rate settings, player settings and TV settings such as TruMotion settings, are greatly appreciated.

1. Intel NUC:
- Device supports both [email protected] and [email protected] in addition to lower resolutions and refresh rates, and it’s currently set to [email protected] in Windows.
- Used mainly to view video content generated in 1080P with either 23,98 fps or 29,97 fps.
- Content is mainly viewed in VLC, Kodi and browser based players (e.g. Netflix).
- Stuttering is apparent in all players, and it’s worst when viewing content with 23,98 fps.
- So far I’ve tried to adjust the refresh rate set in Windows, and I do notice a slight improvement when using 59 Hz in comparison to 60 Hz.

2. Set top box
- Device supports both [email protected] and [email protected] in addition to lower resolutions and refresh rates, and it’s currently set to 1080p/50.
- Most of the content that is viewed is generated in 720P with 25fps.
- Stuttering is worst in movies.

Hey folks,

Just had my 55 inch C8 delivered over the weekend!
The C8 will be the primary display for my PC running a GTX1060, set to 2160p, 60Hz, Ycbcr 10bit. Movies are played using MPC+Madvr or Kodi+Madvr

I unfortunately hit the same problem as quoted by 2 others. There are constant stutters while playing any and all 24p movies through any player on windows, be it SDR or HDR. This issue is exaggerated to another level in HDR point where you really cannot even watch a movie anymore. Note that this issue does NOT exist if I play a 60p video (ex: youtube). This issue also does not exist while playing anything from the built in Netflix or Primevideo apps, as they natively set to 24p/24Hz.

After tinkering with my TV without sleep for 2 days straight, I have conclusively narrowed this problem down to the Real Cinema option, for sure.

In SDR, if you set Real Cinema to off (with TrueMotion also off, of course) in either the Technicolor or the two ISF profiles, then all is well, and there are zero stutters. Problem solved.
But this means that in any profile, even though the Real cinema option is on but greyed out and cannot be changed, the previous assumption that others had made stating that it is "off" whenever "greyed out but set to on" is not true. It is on, and it is doing something to create stutters in video when you're playing a 24fps video on a 60Hz signal on a PC.

You might think that what I'm experiencing is judder, not stutter, but I would like to assure you that the issue I'm experiencing is stutter, not judder, because I de-judder using MadVR's excellent option called smooth motion, which I've used for many years, which allows judder free playback (without any soap opera effect) of 24p video on a 60Hz signal. Switching this on or off in MadVR doesn't change how Real Cinema is causing the stutters on the C8 though!

P.S: for those who might want to suggest that I switch refresh rates to 24Hz via MadVR every time a video starts, do know that it is not a bug free solution. The player hangs 2 out every 5 times if you keep doing this.

Now for the biggest issue. In HDR mode, unfortunately, you CANNOT switch off Real Cinema in any movie mode! It is set to on (but greyed out) in the Cinema, Standard, Vivid & Technicolor modes. The stutter is unbearable. The only mode I can use in HDR is Game, because Real Cinema is hardcoded to off (and greyed out) in this mode. But in Game mode, even though I've tried to tweak the profile to look as close as possible to the Technicolor profile, it is still not the same, and just doesn't look as good as Technicolor does, so effectively I'm in a compromised usage mode and cannot enjoy the TV to the fullest in HDR mode.

I have tried Truemotion at user with 0,0 / 0,10 / 0,5 / 1,0, but this does not override Real Cinema like how it has been stated before either. Real Cinema is still there and doing something it shouldn't. Real Cinema shouldn't be kicking in at 60Hz in my opinion! I have no idea why LG would not let users choose when to turn it on or off.

I did also manage to fix this issue in another method by labeling the HDMI input as PC, which automatically disables Real Cinema as well, or hardcodes it to off (and greyed out) in all profiles, SDR and HDR. I thought that was it, with a sigh of relief, until I saw bad banding issues while playing HDR in PC mode (irrespective of active profile being Cinema or Technicolor), which made usage of PC mode a no-no for me.

And in Dolby Vision mode, you just cannot turn off Real Cinema at all in any of the modes, but then Windows doesn't really have Dolby Vision content so you could say I won't hit this issue, and since the built in Netflix/Prime TV apps start natively playing at 24p anyway while playing Dolby vision, the stutter issue isn't there. But then, I'll now come to the soap opera effect I seem to perceive with Real Cinema on in 24p mode! More on this below

Quote:
Originally Posted by H00D4M4N View Post
I agree with you 100%. I purchased an LG OLED and I have been regretting my purchase ever since. Here's why:

When I first got the TV, it was amazing for the most part and I was really happy with it the first couple of months. However, when I first got it, there wasn't much 4K content around, and Dolby Vision was still brand new and most players weren't even capable for it yet.

That's when I started to notice "soap opera effects" (SOE) when I was playing back 4K content. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what was causing this. I checked and made sure that True Motion was disabled. I even had the set in for warranty and had some chips replaced and when I got it back it still had it.

Months passed, and I still couldn't figure it out. By now, it was driving me bonkers because I really hated this look. Then one day, I managed to turn off RealCinema in HDR mode and the problem was solved. The picture looked exactly like it was supposed to, and looked stunning. This is the TV I was hoping for.

Now that I figured out the issue, I went on a RealCinema tirade, turning it off in every mode I could. This is where the problem is, though. For some stupid reason that LG still hasn't yet come out to explain, YOU CAN'T TURN OFF REALCINEMA IN DOLBY VISION MODE. It is grayed out in this setting, and no matter what you try to do you can't change it.

So then I started emailing LG over and over trying to figure out what this issue is with RealCinema and I finally got this response:

"RealCinema was originally intended to be truthful to 24 fps (frames per second) by playing each movie frame 5 times when processing video at 120Hz for a crisp Cinema-like feel to any 24 fps movies played. Regrettably, LG Engineers appear to have prioritized the insertion of an algorithm calculating extra frames whenever processing video at 120Hz giving it that Soap Opera effect."

So there you have it. LG bungled RealCinema so that the crisp Cinema-like feel they were aiming for ended up being more like a soap opera feel. LG is keeping quiet about this, though, which is infuriating because as far as I'm concerned, this is a defect. I purchased this TV expecting the best picture possible but I'm not getting it because the company is forcing one of their own stupid settings (that they messed up) on the consumer -- without even offering the ability to turn it off. If it wasn't grayed out this wouldn't be an issue. I would simply just go into settings and shut RealCinema off.

Because LG did is and is not taking any responsibility about it, or offering any kind of rebates or returns or whatnot, I will not only NEVER purchase another LG product ever again, I would NEVER recommend an LG TV to anyone -- because honestly this is a faulty product. If you're going to implement something of your own creation into an electronics product like a TV, you NEED to either make sure that it's functioning exactly like it's supposed to AND have the ability to disable the feature because most cinephiles like to watch movies as they were intended, not with added processing that makes it look cheap and being stuck with it forever.

I agree! While playing from the built in Netflix and Primevideo TV apps, with Truemotion off, and Real Cinema On, I can definitely perceive a mild soap opera effect. How did you manage to turn off Real Cinema for HDR though? I really need that workaround desperately. If anyone has any suggestions, please chime in.

Last edited by kryptonite5; 12-05-2018 at 04:49 AM.
post #9306 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 802
@kryptonite5
if you want proper playback with madVR you have to output the correct refresh rate (23/24Hz for movies). Playing 24 fps content over 60 Hz with real cinema or truemotion enabled will cause weird stuttering because madVR apparently doesn't do proper 3:2 pulldown cadence and this confuses the TV. This has been discussed recently in the doom9 forums. Not sure if other players/video renderers also have this problem.

To summarize for playing movie content with madVR:

- 60 Hz output with real cinema or truemotion enabled: bad
- 60 Hz output with real cinema and truemotion disabled, smooth motion enabled: ok
- 23/24Hz output with real cinema or truemotion enabled: ok

If you player hangs while automatically switching refresh rates then I guess the only solution would be to do it manually.

edit: I agree though, it's stupid to lock options like real cinema when using certain picture modes. Same goes for color gamut being locked to wide when using the game preset.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by jk82; 12-05-2018 at 05:45 AM.
post #9307 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am trying to play a mkv with true hd 7.1 over my local network but the internal player shows "This video does not support audio". Is this audio format supported?
post #9308 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebil View Post
I am trying to play a mkv with true hd 7.1 over my local network but the internal player shows "This video does not support audio". Is this audio format supported?
You must have tried it with the internal speaker. Attach a Dolby atmos soundbar and you should be good to go.

If you still want to play it through internal speaker, you need to transcode the audio stream while leaving the video intact. FFMPEG is a great tool for this.

post #9309 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite5 View Post
Hey folks,

Just had my 55 inch C8 delivered over the weekend!
The C8 will be the primary display for my PC running a GTX1060, set to 2160p, 60Hz, Ycbcr 10bit. Movies are played using MPC+Madvr or Kodi+Madvr

I unfortunately hit the same problem as quoted by 2 others. There are constant stutters while playing any and all 24p movies through any player on windows, be it SDR or HDR. This issue is exaggerated to another level in HDR point where you really cannot even watch a movie anymore. Note that this issue does NOT exist if I play a 60p video (ex: youtube). This issue also does not exist while playing anything from the built in Netflix or Primevideo apps, as they natively set to 24p/24Hz.

After tinkering with my TV without sleep for 2 days straight, I have conclusively narrowed this problem down to the Real Cinema option, for sure.

In SDR, if you set Real Cinema to off (with TrueMotion also off, of course) in either the Technicolor or the two ISF profiles, then all is well, and there are zero stutters. Problem solved.
But this means that in any profile, even though the Real cinema option is on but greyed out and cannot be changed, the previous assumption that others had made stating that it is "off" whenever "greyed out but set to on" is not true. It is on, and it is doing something to create stutters in video when you're playing a 24fps video on a 60Hz signal on a PC.

You might think that what I'm experiencing is judder, not stutter, but I would like to assure you that the issue I'm experiencing is stutter, not judder, because I de-judder using MadVR's excellent option called smooth motion, which I've used for many years, which allows judder free playback (without any soap opera effect) of 24p video on a 60Hz signal. Switching this on or off in MadVR doesn't change how Real Cinema is causing the stutters on the C8 though!

P.S: for those who might want to suggest that I switch refresh rates to 24Hz via MadVR every time a video starts, do know that it is not a bug free solution. The player hangs 2 out every 5 times if you keep doing this.

Now for the biggest issue. In HDR mode, unfortunately, you CANNOT switch off Real Cinema in any movie mode! It is set to on (but greyed out) in the Cinema, Standard, Vivid & Technicolor modes. The stutter is unbearable. The only mode I can use in HDR is Game, because Real Cinema is hardcoded to off (and greyed out) in this mode. But in Game mode, even though I've tried to tweak the profile to look as close as possible to the Technicolor profile, it is still not the same, and just doesn't look as good as Technicolor does, so effectively I'm in a compromised usage mode and cannot enjoy the TV to the fullest in HDR mode.

I have tried Truemotion at user with 0,0 / 0,10 / 0,5 / 1,0, but this does not override Real Cinema like how it has been stated before either. Real Cinema is still there and doing something it shouldn't. Real Cinema shouldn't be kicking in at 60Hz in my opinion! I have no idea why LG would not let users choose when to turn it on or off.

I did also manage to fix this issue in another method by labeling the HDMI input as PC, which automatically disables Real Cinema as well, or hardcodes it to off (and greyed out) in all profiles, SDR and HDR. I thought that was it, with a sigh of relief, until I saw bad banding issues while playing HDR in PC mode (irrespective of active profile being Cinema or Technicolor), which made usage of PC mode a no-no for me.

And in Dolby Vision mode, you just cannot turn off Real Cinema at all in any of the modes, but then Windows doesn't really have Dolby Vision content so you could say I won't hit this issue, and since the built in Netflix/Prime TV apps start natively playing at 24p anyway while playing Dolby vision, the stutter issue isn't there. But then, I'll now come to the soap opera effect I seem to perceive with Real Cinema on in 24p mode! More on this below

I agree! While playing from the built in Netflix and Primevideo TV apps, with Truemotion off, and Real Cinema On, I can definitely perceive a mild soap opera effect. How did you manage to turn off Real Cinema for HDR though? I really need that workaround desperately. If anyone has any suggestions, please chime in.
I'm not sure how I disabled it in HDR actually. I may have disabled it in one of the other modes first and then switched back. I just kept fiddling and got it to change somehow.

But anyway, LG's RealCinema pissed me off so much I went out and bought a Sony. Will never buy LG again.
post #9310 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Does the SDR calibration carry over to the HDR mode? I have a SpectraCal C6 and the Calman Home Enthusiast software. Is calibrating HDR necessary or is doing the SDR AutoCal enough?

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
post #9311 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4285 Post(s)
Liked: 5236
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
Does the SDR calibration carry over to the HDR mode? I have a SpectraCal C6 and the Calman Home Enthusiast software. Is calibrating HDR necessary or is doing the SDR AutoCal enough?
No SDR calibration does not "carry over" to HDR on the LG like it does on the Sony. For the LG you need to calibrate HDR and Dolby Vision separately.
calfcramp likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #9312 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
No SDR calibration does not "carry over" to HDR on the LG like it does on the Sony. For the LG you need to calibrate HDR and Dolby Vision separately.
The C6 HDR meter is quite expensive, especially if importing it. Would you say calibration is necessary for HDR or is it quite good OOB in technicolor mode?

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
post #9313 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6404 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
Yes, I'm a long time Directv subscriber and they really hosed me over with this same issue. I called them on another issue in August and they recommended upgrading my older receivers to the new mini-genies. I said I was good with that, as I was going to get a 4k TV in the next month or so and I wanted to be upgraded for that. Told the installer the same thing, and I agreed to pay $99 for the upgrade and signed on for 2 more years.

Turns out they didn't install a 4k receiver, which I found out after I got my 65 C8 and called them to get 4K "turned on." Apparently, they have a company rule that they don't install a 4k receiver unless you already have a 4k TV. But they didn't tell me that when I placed the order for the upgrade and the installer said nothing about that either. If they had informed me, I would have waited to upgrade my receiver and extend my contract.

Called them to talk about this and get the new 4K receiver and spoke to 5 different reps over 2 hours, all of whom told me something different. Finally ended up that they wanted to charge me $350 to come out and upgrade the receivers to 4K. So I passed.

I'm going to punish them somehow -- been a loyal customer since 1999 -- I just haven't figured out how yet.
switch from directv to dish, every two years to get your best deal.......then rotate between them back and forth......
post #9314 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion.jorj View Post
Can anybody share their experience comparing motion handling and upscaling of cable box signal performed by the C8 itself vs routing it through an Oppo 203 player for 4k conversion? TIA.

I experimented with this extensively, going as far as using a powered HDMI splitter to send the same signal to the C8 and the Oppo simultaneously, so that I could more-or-less instantly switch between them by changing the selected input on the C8, for the purpose of doing A-B comparison.

I eventually decided that if there was any difference, it is so slight that it was not worth the bother of using the 203.

This was with mostly default settings, prior to a real calibration, under 200 hours of use.

YMMV...
Glenee likes this.
post #9315 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
I would highly recommend that everyone trying to learn or get a understanding of how to Calibrate purchase the Michael Chen Video Training series . Here: www.TLVEXP.com I would give serious consideration to purchasing the Lifetime Pass. Michael and Rayjr are always adding new videos as the technology changes. I purchased these several years ago and have used them several times for refreshers and when I get a little rusty or it's been a while since I have done some calibrating. The Tips and Tricks taught in the Video Series are worth the price alone. The way I looked at it you spend all that money on equipment now learn how to use it from some of the best in the industry. They use all types of software during the training sessions Calman, Cromapure, etc. and show no favortism of one over the other which is the way it should be.

This will be the Best money you ever spend in you Crazy Video addiction.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee

Last edited by Glenee; 12-05-2018 at 06:41 AM.
post #9316 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markalark View Post
Anyone in the States still without it? Talked with LG support today and they knew even less than I did about the update and said it was probably pulled which isn’t true either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm in virginia. I did not check this morning but late last night it still indicated that there was not a new update.
post #9317 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I plugged in my brand new Xbox x. Do people use game mode picture setting on this? I know that's new with this year's model TV that it does 60fps 4K for games but that's only for PC not Xbox right? so I'm using technicolor mode for sdr games so far. Should I leave the gamma at default BT. 1886 or move it to 2.2 as Xbox calibration page suggests? On Xbox calibration setting page I had to increase brightness to 60 to pass the test but when I put in Assassin's Creed Odyssey the game has its own brightness test in which I needed to reduce brightness down to 48 to pass the test. Or during the game test am I supposed to use the analog stick to adjust brightness like it suggests and leave my TV brightness at 60? Do people calibrate brightnesses different depending on the game they're playing? I've been out of gaming for a while. To pass the contrast test I went up to 95. But decided it looked too bright for me and settled on 88. In the Xbox settings it says TV is incapable of hr10 gaming and in Assassin's Creed Odyssey HDR setting is grayed out. Is this wrong? I'm using the included HDMI cable into HDMI input 1
I am using Game Mode. SDR I calibrated with Disney's WOW Calibration disc OLED setting. I verified with Wizziwigs black pattern just because I was curious. The other modes seem to add significant input lag but I haven't tested a ton. I am a Platinum Ranked player in Rainbow Six Siege and can feel the input lag in one source I tested but I have no measurements to back it up. HDR mode I use Game as well. I tend to just use in game modes to adjust HDR per game and leave the tv to default. I have not seen anything too out of wack with my Disney disc vs what games show. For example Siege the brightness is perfect with no adjustment, its SDR. BlackOut in HDR even at 0% brightness appears way to bright based on the pattern in game. Still looks amazing so I think the game is just dumb. God Of War on PS4 Pro has an HDR adjustment and that game is insane graphically but you're just eyeballing the adjustments.
calfcramp likes this.
post #9318 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markalark View Post
Thanks for letting me know! Well dang, that makes me even more depressed it hasn't come back available for me in Denver. Blah!
I’m in Colorado Springs and keep checking for the update and nothing yet .
Guttboy and Markalark like this.
post #9319 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I'm in North Alabama, no update here yet either....I'm trying to be patient......

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #9320 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by H00D4M4N View Post
I'm not sure how I disabled it in HDR actually. I may have disabled it in one of the other modes first and then switched back. I just kept fiddling and got it to change somehow.

But anyway, LG's RealCinema pissed me off so much I went out and bought a Sony. Will never buy LG again.
I agree the real cinema is horrible . I noticed by turning it off it makes the motion the way it should be . Wish there was a way lg would allow us to disable in hdr modes
post #9321 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^I was in the same boat as well, but I've decided to keep it on warm 1 for both sdr/hdr, it's cooler, but not too excessive.
What are you doing with DV, as of right now I am not sure if I see any real difference between warm 1 and 2, but for DV I have left it on 2 so far.
post #9322 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Can anyone with the new update who had a delay when changing from warm 2 to warm 1 etc check and see if the new update fixed it?
post #9323 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question for you guys:

Discovered that my old sound bar is too tall and blocks the bottom of the screen. I'm by no means an audiophile, I've been rocking this sound bar for years and it has served me well:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anybody know of a decent budget soundbar that isn't quite as tall as this one that will fit underneath the screen? I probably missed the best black friday deals and might wait until January to see if prices come back down for the Super Bowl.

Edit: Anybody have any thoughts about this one? Seems a little shorter: https://www.cnet.com/reviews/vizio-sb3621n-e8-review/

Last edited by Greenleaf1; 12-05-2018 at 08:15 AM.
post #9324 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
Can anyone with the new update who had a delay when changing from warm 2 to warm 1 etc check and see if the new update fixed it?

In 4.10.15 it takes 2-3 secs to see the difference.
post #9325 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesto719 View Post
I agree the real cinema is horrible . I noticed by turning it off it makes the motion the way it should be . Wish there was a way lg would allow us to disable in hdr modes
Am I getting this correctly? Are there picture modes where you cannot turn off motion interpolation completely and Dolby Vision is one of them?

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #9326 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Real Cinema is not interpolation.
post #9327 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenleaf1 View Post
Question for you guys:

Discovered that my old sound bar is too tall and blocks the bottom of the screen. I'm by no means an audiophile, I've been rocking this sound bar for years and it has served me well:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anybody know of a decent budget soundbar that isn't quite as tall as this one that will fit underneath the screen? I probably missed the best black friday deals and might wait until January to see if prices come back down for the Super Bowl.

Edit: Anybody have any thoughts about this one? Seems a little shorter: https://www.cnet.com/reviews/vizio-sb3621n-e8-review/
Some of the top of the line Vizio soundbars are very thin and even contain three channels (L,C,R) all within the main bar. They also have google casting which should work well with the on-board Google Assistant on the LG. I have been impressed with the flat style wireless subs that come with them too.
post #9328 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesto719 View Post
Real Cinema has nothing to do with motion interpolation. It is intended for 24p content to maintain the natural 5:5 cadence. TruMotion handles motion interpolation. I leave TruMotion disabled and Real Cinema enabled when watching blu-rays (including UHD) and have no motion issues at all. TruMotion is what creates the SOE, which a lot of folks don't like.
mrtickleuk and Jbhur212 like this.
post #9329 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm hoping for some advice/user views on the LG C8. so I'll be upgrading from the Samsung ks9500 2016 model (yes differrnt technology). I loved it's brightness and vibrancy. the one infernal Thing that was a showstopper and I had half a mind to switch to something else, was the anti glare coating. you cannot lay a drop of liquid or moisture while wiping the screen without leaving a PERMANENT weird blue stain/smudge on this tv set.. I tried distilled water , AAvoided any alcohol based cleaners, the screen still gets stained, returned the set multiple times still the same result. I can it conclude that if the screen gets dirty/smudge u would have to dry wipe it or else live with the residual smudges(and I think the ks7000 and ks8000 range in 2016 had the same problwm)

so the million dollar question , does the 2018 LG C8 suffer the same plight. are there any problems using a damp cloth to clean the tv without leaving any permenant streaks? this will be a show stopper for me
post #9330 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I am in Dallas, TX and no update for .15 here. I am still on .06 and even tried multiple times to check for updates....

The only thing I wonder is why did it keep asking me to update to .05 before going to .06, why wouldn't it automatically ask me for the latest version. I guess there is a computer in there but it is not thinking like one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page