2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 313 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78893Likes

post #9361 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Yep! Just checked and it’s up on the site!!!

Downloading at work right now and telling everyone I ate bad Asian food and have to go home asap
Guttboy, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by Markalark; 12-05-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesto719 View Post
I’m in Colorado Springs and keep checking for the update and nothing yet .

Thanks Nesto. It’s available on their site right now. Working late in Monument today. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9363 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markalark View Post
Quote:
I’m in Colorado Springs and keep checking for the update and nothing yet .

Thanks Nesto. It’s available on their site right now. Working late in Monument today. Ugh!

So the excuse didnt fly?? Lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9364 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:
Downloading at work right now and telling everyone I ate bad Asian food and have to go home asap
I hope you feel better
Markalark and mrtickleuk like this.
post #9365 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Avoid the traffic . Will the update come via over the net or de we have to get it directly from the website
Markalark likes this.
post #9366 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
So the excuse didnt fly?? Lol!

Haha unfortunately not. Also didn’t go so well since we went to smash for lunch together and not an actual Asian place. Can’t knock a man for tryin!

mrtickleuk likes this.
post #9367 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Quote:

Avoid the traffic . Will the update come via over the net or de we have to get it directly from the website
It will eventually be available straight from your tv but it took me 5 minutes to update using the website. I would imagine within a week everyone will have it.
Markalark likes this.
post #9368 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Should come OTA, but mine never did again after prompting me originally on Sunday for it...so I am gonna use a thumb drive and pull it from the site.

They have instructions listed below the release as well for ya!

post #9369 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase871976 View Post
I'm in NorCal (Sacramento area) and I got the update a few days ago so it must not be a geographical thing.
I'm down in San Jose, so probably not. My personal guess is that it's based on serial numbers or some other unique ID. Certain batches are whitelisted every so often and if there are no major issues, and they figure they have sufficient server capacity, they open the flood gates. Then again, I've always had bad luck with LG's update checker. I have an old 43" I got a few years ago and only once have I ever gotten it to recognize that there's an update. I figured since it was a model made specifically for Best Buy and went end of life pretty much immediately after Black Friday, it was probably just never got any updates... But then on a whim I check the LG support site for it, and they released an update for it just this year. My 55C8 is still saying there's no update even though it's up on the LG website.
post #9370 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdude View Post
I'm also looking for a recommendation for this, as I have the same problem with my center channel speaker being too tall, and no where else to really put it. Unfortunately I can't mount the TV on the wall like I wanted. I'm also not crazy about some of the options I've found, which are basically short tables or shelves, since I'm not really confident they can hold the weight.

Don't know if this would help, but I purchased this. I was in a similar position as you and it works perfectly.
post #9371 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Yep! Just checked and it’s up on the site!!!

LOL! Priorities, priorities.
Markalark likes this.
post #9372 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quick random question: Is there a way to change the voice for the google assistant on the C8? I have it connected to my Home Mini, which uses a female voice, but if I send a command to my TV, I get a response in a male voice. I'd like them both to be the same. Don't see anything obvious in the user settings on the C8, and there are basically no settings for the TV within the Google Home app.
post #9373 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice the update is on the LG site right now. Gonna download it right now - thanks for the heads up.

Size and filename... Software_File(Version_04.10.15).zip 871089K

HT Setup: Onkyo TX-NR509, ELAC Debut 2.0 F6.2, C6.2, B6.2, Dayton Audio SUB-1200

Video Setup: LG OLED55C8PUA, Xbox One S, HTPC (AMD Ryzen 3 2200G)
post #9374 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Excellent! Happy to have helped!

You could try plugging the Fire TV into a different HDMI socket on your AVR if you have any spare. It's very finickity and might not kill ARC in a different socket. No promises but it's worth a try since I have a Fire 4k pendant (the Nov 2017 model) and it doesn't kill ARC for me.
Tried this but it killed ARC & CEC again. Really strange, it used to work for me with no issue as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenBF View Post
I have been away for a couple of weeks, playing catch-up. I am still waiting on the update, didn't even know it was available until today! I do have a question, I saw that people were switching to warm1, are you all still using that or did you switch back to warm2? Just curious, I switched over to warm1 while watching Nightflyers tonight to see, still deciding!
Just to be clear, Warm 1 is for Technicolor as they completely changed that setting. Warm 1 in Technicolor is different from Warm 1 on all other settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proza View Post
Anyone else noticing that true blacks can have a strange pattern running over it?

Hard to describe but you can see that the pixels aren’t off. When I can see it i can see it either on the black bars of a show, or over the whole screen if it’s mostly/completely black.

It’s not always the case and I think it mostly happens in a warm state, eg on for some half hour to few hours.

To see it you have to get quite close and up personal, although I think at distance it can trick the mind in thinking it’s a glow.

I have the 77c8lla. Coincidentally I also have the noisy power supply issue. I think there is a correlation but I will have to investigate further.
You have your black level set too high, lower it by 1 and that should disappear and give you true black.
post #9375 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What is the big deal abou the firmware update? Is there some big fix people are waiting on? Just got my C8 recently. Only fault I see in it is the soap opera effect when real cinema is on (yes, I know about tru motion; see post on reddit). Otherwise, it has been sweet.
post #9376 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPbuckwalter View Post
There is indeed a sort of static dithered pattern that will be noticeable over dark shades if you are very close to the screen. I would assume you can see this from further distances on such a large screen size. However, if you can see this pattern over "true blacks", than I'd suggest that your television is not actually displaying "true black"; your panel is still illuminated. If you are truly viewing a completely black image, the screen should appear the same as if it were off. Perhaps your brightness setting is a tick too high.

Also, you might be experiencing a bug which causes the black levels to be slightly elevated through the HDMI inputs. This happens to me all the time. You have to switch to another input and back again to fix this issue. I switch to the Live TV input, which always seems to remedy this.
Holy **** I thought I am the only one who notices this. Switching inputs may fix this for videos but for games the screen is still luminated with those noise patterns in dark scenes no matter what.
post #9377 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6404 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post
Just got my 65" C8....any issues with the ARC on these sets?
ARC either works or it does not on any set, there is not much you can do about it either
post #9378 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
New firmware up and available here in India, yay

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
post #9379 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Haven't posted in awhile - but just upgraded to the latest firmware (04.10.15), was able to get it by turning on Engineering mode in the Service menu using my Harmony remote. Thanks for the tip - worked like a charm!

As others have already stated, can confirm that the dimming issue is completely gone now. Awesome job by LG to fix the problem!
post #9380 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
oh damn, you telling me PC Mode is 8-bit HDR??

i just assumed when you went into HDR in PC Mode it switched it to 4:2:2, thats annoying
I don't have equipment to definitively state what it's doing, but there is color banding that goes away outside of PC mode. It's not as prevalent as you may think though, I may post a comparison scene from Hitman later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinz80 View Post
If you let Windows manage the settings it uses 8-bit RGB with temporal dithering, which is in my experience even better than 10-bit and YUV 4:2:2.
Temporal dithering works since Windows 1803 and generates more "perceptual" colors by altering pixels very fast between different values.
This is virtually invisible to the user. I can only see it when I set the sharpness to 30 or higher.
Further advantages are that you can still use 4:4:4 (or even full RGB) and the input lag is lower than with 10-bit.
But if you want to change the bit depth, with Nvidia (and probably with AMD as well) you can manually change it to 10-bit or 12-bit in the control panel.
That's interesting, how would one go about letting Windows control that over say the Nvidia control panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Ah interesting, good to know. So they are basing it on some assumed peak luminance amounts. I would still think theoretically the TV has much more information to do a better tone mapping implementation, since it could take into account knowledge about its ABL and what triggers it as well as limits based on the total color volume of the image rather than a fixed peak number. Whether LG's implementation does anything more (less?) than what the player is doing I have no idea. Of course if the player's tone mapping looks better to you then by all means that should be the one to use.
Yeah remember that there is no standard for tone mapping, however the Panasonic is able to do it more surgically on the part of the screen where it needs to without impacting the parts that don't need tone mapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
Holy **** I thought I am the only one who notices this. Switching inputs may fix this for videos but for games the screen is still luminated with those noise patterns in dark scenes no matter what.
Lower brightness by 1, you can reproduce this on the black level test patterns, black level is just a tick too high.
post #9381 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by internet seeker View Post
What is the big deal about the firmware update? Is there some big fix people are waiting on?
See post #9211 .
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #9382 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin-X View Post
Lower brightness by 1, you can reproduce this on the black level test patterns, black level is just a tick too high.
I don't think it works that way. Switching input fixes the issue so changing the settings is not the solution. Maybe there is something wrong with the way the TV handles hdmi signal.
post #9383 of 19333 Old 12-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Start at the other end and look at the router. Does it show that TV is connected? With the TV switched on, reboot the router. Does the TV show if it has a IP address?

Thank you! I unplugged my router and after a minute or so plugged it back in. Once it finished booting I re-entered the wireless connection info on my C8 and this time it properly connected. Before I did this I checked my router info and the LG WebOS was showing with a proper IP address even tho the C8 wouldn't show a connection. Curious it showed there even tho the C8 said no wifi connection.

At least it's working now. Thanks again!
post #9384 of 19333 Old 12-06-2018, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPbuckwalter View Post
There is indeed a sort of static dithered pattern that will be noticeable over dark shades if you are very close to the screen. I would assume you can see this from further distances on such a large screen size. However, if you can see this pattern over "true blacks", than I'd suggest that your television is not actually displaying "true black"; your panel is still illuminated. If you are truly viewing a completely black image, the screen should appear the same as if it were off. Perhaps your brightness setting is a tick too high.

Also, you might be experiencing a bug which causes the black levels to be slightly elevated through the HDMI inputs. This happens to me all the time. You have to switch to another input and back again to fix this issue. I switch to the Live TV input, which always seems to remedy this.

Quote:
You have your black level set too high, lower it by 1 and that should disappear and give you true black.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think it works that way. Switching input fixes the issue so changing the settings is not the solution. Maybe there is something wrong with the way the TV handles hdmi signal.

Thanks guys, happy i'm not alone (sorry about that!).
When I talk about patterns in the black area, I can only really describe it as an electrical storm, if I can capture it on Camera I will. It doesn't happen always, especially when the TV is only just on shortly it doesn't appear. But maybe you're right and switching inputs back and forth, or switching modes (resolution, color depth, refresh rate etc), may make it disappear at least for a while.

I will try the lowering of brightness by one, maybe I will get a test pattern.
At least on Game mode I have to increase the brightness to about 56, if I want to match the XBOX calibration screens, and e.g PS4 game brightness tests.
Also Windows PC looks better.
post #9385 of 19333 Old 12-06-2018, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
@kryptonite5
if you want proper playback with madVR you have to output the correct refresh rate (23/24Hz for movies). Playing 24 fps content over 60 Hz with real cinema or truemotion enabled will cause weird stuttering because madVR apparently doesn't do proper 3:2 pulldown cadence and this confuses the TV. This has been discussed recently in the doom9 forums. Not sure if other players/video renderers also have this problem.

To summarize for playing movie content with madVR:

- 60 Hz output with real cinema or truemotion enabled: bad
- 60 Hz output with real cinema and truemotion disabled, smooth motion enabled: ok
- 23/24Hz output with real cinema or truemotion enabled: ok

If you player hangs while automatically switching refresh rates then I guess the only solution would be to do it manually.

edit: I agree though, it's stupid to lock options like real cinema when using certain picture modes. Same goes for color gamut being locked to wide when using the game preset.
My bald spots grew bigger for sure while dealing with the stuttering and messing with madVR a while ago. I don't remember exactly how I solved the issue, but for sure it's auto switching to the correct frame rate and it doesn't hang on my end, and I use both Kodi and MPC-HC as players with madVR.
post #9386 of 19333 Old 12-06-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
@kryptonite5
if you want proper playback with madVR you have to output the correct refresh rate (23/24Hz for movies). Playing 24 fps content over 60 Hz with real cinema or truemotion enabled will cause weird stuttering because madVR apparently doesn't do proper 3:2 pulldown cadence and this confuses the TV. This has been discussed recently in the doom9 forums. Not sure if other players/video renderers also have this problem.

To summarize for playing movie content with madVR:

- 60 Hz output with real cinema or truemotion enabled: bad
- 60 Hz output with real cinema and truemotion disabled, smooth motion enabled: ok
- 23/24Hz output with real cinema or truemotion enabled: ok

If you player hangs while automatically switching refresh rates then I guess the only solution would be to do it manually.

edit: I agree though, it's stupid to lock options like real cinema when using certain picture modes. Same goes for color gamut being locked to wide when using the game preset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proza View Post
Thanks guys, happy i'm not alone (sorry about that!).
When I talk about patterns in the black area, I can only really describe it as an electrical storm, if I can capture it on Camera I will. It doesn't happen always, especially when the TV is only just on shortly it doesn't appear. But maybe you're right and switching inputs back and forth, or switching modes (resolution, color depth, refresh rate etc), may make it disappear at least for a while.

I will try the lowering of brightness by one, maybe I will get a test pattern.
At least on Game mode I have to increase the brightness to about 56, if I want to match the XBOX calibration screens, and e.g PS4 game brightness tests.
Also Windows PC looks better.

Just avoid the consoles' built in calibration tests and download some patterns if you want more accuracy.
post #9387 of 19333 Old 12-06-2018, 05:24 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
Don't know if this would help, but I purchased this. I was in a similar position as you and it works perfectly.
Think you missed a link there to what you were referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
Google "TV Riser" …. dozens of choices at amazon, walmart, target, etc...
Unfortunately I'm really not seeing a lot of options that would be good for a 65" TV. Risers/shelves are generally too narrow, and what few VESA mounts exist for that size are plagued with reviews about how poorly made they are, so I'm not gonna trust my TV to that.
post #9388 of 19333 Old 12-06-2018, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
ARC either works or it does not on any set, there is not much you can do about it either
Really? Are you saying that its hit or miss in general or hit or miss specific to the 65" C8?
In other words I can get a C8 that has a 50/50 chance working ARC!

Thanks

7.1.4 Home Theatre
LG 65" C8 OLED
Samsung HW-N950 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS-X System
post #9389 of 19333 Old 12-06-2018, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
So I received the update yesterday, Florida, and the first thing I did was check Netflix Punisher S01E06 around the 41 minute mark where Frank has a meeting on the dock. On the last FW this was a really good scene to show how abrupt and aggressive the auto dimming was. On the new FW that does not happen, so I went into the Haunting on Hill House and there were no auto dimming issues as well. I know it has been stated already that this FW fixes that, and I just wanted to see for myself....and it sure does. I have not gone in depth to other shows and movies to see, I know Godless had a couple of scenes as well, but between the Punisher and Hill House I was happy. It never bothered me that much, but as I usually watch in a pretty dark room, sometimes it could be a really abrupt change. I am not sure on the picture quality improvement people have been mentioning, mainly because I thought it was already good before. I hope everyone gets their update soon, it has been a long wait for this one!!.
gorman42 and mrtickleuk like this.
post #9390 of 19333 Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Now if they can fix the near black flashing on the 2018 models. I've found a worse example of this than the Handmaid's tale one. Check out The Romanoffs UHD HDR Season 1 Episode 4 at 40:00 in the couch scene. Keep watching for it. Gets even worse if you lower the brightness below 50. It looks like the lights are flickering in the background around the actors. For reference I'm using Technicolor with Oled light and Contrast at 100.

If you can't find the UHD add this to your watch list. https://www.amazon.com/Romanoffs-Sea.../dp/B07HYBLFP5
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page