2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 317 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78771Likes

post #9481 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
something about motion.... Sony beats you with the old processor... We buy this alpha 9 proc just thinking it's going to make it better then Sony, but new we just are happy to fix this problems...which should not exist in the first place...be ashamed!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 28
@gorman42 I ran the two tests. Can confirm the issue happens on my c8. It's weird because I have never noticed macroblocking in contents I watch, both games and movies wise. I ran the test on my c7 as well. The flashing still occurs but at a much much lesser degree. Oh well, I'm having another problem with the tv anyway so next week an LG engineer will come and replace my tv's processing unit probably so we'll see whether this problem disappears. Starting to regret my purchase. The c7 I bought before the c8 has much better grey uniformity; the only problem is the hdr game mode is dim.
gorman42 likes this.
post #9483 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I have No Macroblocking issue's on my 55 C-8. I have seen macroblocking issue's that were source related but no display related.
smurraybhm and RavenBF like this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9484 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
I have No Macroblocking issue's on my 55 C-8. I have seen macroblocking issue's that were source related but no display related.
did you try the test posted above?
post #9485 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc vu View Post
Yes sometime back. It's been around here for a while now.

post #9486 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinelionut View Post
something about motion.... Sony beats you with the old processor... We buy this alpha 9 proc just thinking it's going to make it better then Sony, but new we just are happy to fix this problems...which should not exist in the first place...be ashamed!!!
LG could use some Help in the motion department at least on MY SET anyway. Other owners here don't seem to see the motion problems I see on MY SET.

Last edited by Glenee; 12-07-2018 at 05:48 AM.
post #9487 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc vu View Post
Yes sometime back. It's been around here for a while now.
Ok. So seems like not all sets are affected. Hopefully changing the processing unit will fix that.
post #9488 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
Go here: https://www.avpasion.com/nuevo-patro...-lg-oled-2018/

The video embedded at the beginning of the article, at 6:06 timing, shows two TVs. One does not have the problem, the following one does. In the first video, even in total darkness, you see the color values of the squares changing, without flashes occuring. In the second one, you see those squares briefly flashing when they change color (the numbers inside are the RGB values).

You can download the test video from here: https://mega.nz/#!lFZHyCqC!SD9jVsSrd...juUwuTZn78oD2I (this is the same link provided in the article).

I also ran this, mine is also affected, I knew something was wrong before I ran this test. I upgraded from the 65B6 to the 65C8. The B6 had the macroblocking issue of course, that I could see in dark scenes. With the C8 I see this issues in dark, and semi-dark scenes.
I would also say that my B6 had a nicer overall picture using the ISF dark setting, then my current C8 using the same setting. I have seen this issue using the internal apps Netflix/Amazon. Hoping this can be fixed via Firmware. I am 9 feet from the TV, and can see the issue with no problem. I contacted LG, but haven't received a response as yet.
post #9489 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Same with me, I do not have the Macroblocking outside of source related. For awhile I was doing these tests, and I just went ahead and stopped doing them. I don't want to keep looking for issues, so far the only one I saw that affected me was the brightness fluctuation from the LG FW, but that is fixed. I am now to the point that I am just going to sit back and enjoy the TV, that is why I took a 2 week break. I came back to see what I had missed, and I found out a new FW was coming out!! So that was good news. Anyway, for everyone out there, I hope you get to the point where you can enjoy your sets....I can say that this is definitely the best picture I have seen and I am constantly amazed with the clarity and colors.....try Planet Earth 2!!! Amazing!!!

Last edited by RavenBF; 12-07-2018 at 07:43 AM.
post #9490 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:

I seem to recall most people expected LG to perhaps almost catch up to Sony (to the X1 Extreme level that is) when they announced the α9 processor. I don't think anyone realistically expected LG to pass Sony. Sony has a lot of experience in image processing over the years and you can't make up for that experience just by having a faster processor. And the X1 Extreme was no joke of a processor (never mind what the X1 Ultimate is like). Of course Sony does a lot less volume than LG and you have to pay more too and you have to put up with AndroidTV which some people don't like.

And you are not buying the CPU, you are buying a TV. The CPU is an implementation detail. For some reason LG decided to hype their new CPU in 2018, perhaps hoping to gain something from that. Sony has certainly always been talking about the abilities of the X1 Extreme a lot.
Glenee, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #9491 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 160
For anyone who has access to Vikings on Amazon Prime. Season 5, part 2, episode 12. 35m27s-36m33s. This is a great scene to check. On my set, lots of weird flashing which disappear when I press pause.

Here is the link again to the thread discussing this scene. https://www.avforums.com/threads/fla...#post-26731347
post #9492 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
Well, I applied the latest LG update that supposedly fixed the dimming issue....I was watching the Nun 4k version tonight and around the 1:05-1:12 mark, It was looking very dim, so I got my remote and turned the volume up and the screen immediately brightened up.....guess this issue isn't completely fixed. I'm watching on a 77" C8.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I believe your experiencing ASBL. The new firmware fixed brightness fluctuations when changing bright scenes to dark and vice versa.
calfcramp likes this.
post #9493 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Newb Questions

Whole lotta new users in this thread, me being one of them. Took delivery of a 65 C8 yesterday courtesy of a great black Friday deal and have a few questions:

1. How can I remove "live tv" from the active input list? I thought I told the tv durning the setup wizard that I don't have live tv but there it is.

2. HDR10 UHD 4k discs look incredible! Dolby Vision discs with the "Cinema Home" picture setting seem to have crushed blacks; do I have my black level set incorrectly (low vs high) or should I increase the OLED light beyond 50 like RTINGs recommends if black crush is encountered?

3. I'm running all of my devices (PS4 Pro, UHD player, Apple TV) through a receiver to HDMI 2 (ARC), but that means having to manually enable/disable game mode whenever I'm using the PS4. Is there a workaround for this? If I put the PS4 Pro on its own HDMI port on the television, will it send audio back to the receiver? I'm concerned that only one of the ports is marked ARC...

4. I know that "warm2" is the correct temperature setting, but in many picture modes those options are replaced with a numerical slider; what is the W# value equivalent to Warm2?

Thanks all!
calfcramp likes this.
post #9494 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
My set is still showing that no update is available. Is there anyone else in the USA that is still not able to get the latest update OTA?
I am sure you are not the only one.....
post #9495 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Wanted to provide an update with my panel issues. LG Service showed up today. The tech did a livestream with the service center and took pictures. They said the vertical opaque 3 inch bar was within spec. So my panel replacement was not approved. In addition they reset all my custom calibrations, which also reset my panel hours to 0. So frustrating.

Last edited by thepiecesfit; 12-07-2018 at 07:50 AM.
post #9496 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I am sure you are not the only one.....
Just downloaded 4.10.15 and manually updated with no problem.
post #9497 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiecesfit View Post
Wanted to provide an update with my panel issues. LG Service showed up today. The tech did a livestream with the service center and took pictures. They said the vertical opaque 3 inch bar was within spec. So my panel replacement was not approved. In addition they reset all my custom calibrations, which also reset my panel hours to 0. So frustrating.

Is there any Dealers or LG Rep's on this forum that can help this fellow member.

We all saw the photos this is BS to the highest Degree. LG needs to stand up on this one.
If LG does not make this right it will be real hard for me to purchase anymore LG Products period.

post #9498 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Wow, man that really sucks. Your set has the macroblocking issue too right?
post #9499 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Wow, man that really sucks. Your set has the macroblocking issue too right?
It has near black flashing but I think that's all 2018 sets to some degree. I've started a new thread not to pollute this one with LG service issues.
iSeries likes this.
post #9500 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Honestly I haven't seen it, but I've also not seen it in the few examples given. If I'm not seeing it at all...why would I look at test video? I'll admit that it looks like this issue is picking up significant traffic...this is leading me to believe that it is related to the processor, since other brands haven't experienced it. Again, we need to know more info, what are pic settings, seating distance, streaming vs hard disk...we need more data...and imo looking at test video is not good enough.
My curiosity got to me and I checked out The Revenant UHD scene starting at 1:17:29. My 65C8 showed major "macroblocking" issues with the background above the fire as others have seen. I am using Technicolor default and sit 7 feet away although it was noticeable from further. I had noticed some problems with lower quality cable programming and chalked that up to the source but a high quality UHD transfer is a different story. It is interesting how most low ire content looks great but a few particular scenes mess with the TV. I am taking the disc to the store where I bought it to see if their display has the same issue with that scene.

When changing brightness to 49 the macroblocking went away but of course exhibits black crush as at that setting I can only get to 18 on the AVS 709 brightness test.
iSeries likes this.

Last edited by pwiss; 12-07-2018 at 08:42 AM.
post #9501 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Is there any Dealers or LG Rep's on this forum that can help this fellow member.

We all saw the photos this is BS to the highest Degree. LG needs to stand up on this one.
If LG does not make this right it will be real hard for me to purchase anymore LG Products period.
Thank you. The service technician acknowledged the issue and sided with me. However, stated that without the authorization to replace the panel said there is nothing he could do.
post #9502 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
All right, now that you've (LG) finished the problems with launching the alpha 9 TVs with the defective software .... dear Lg, do you not think it's time to get the job done and make the processor come up ... to prove yourself and us theat is not a stupid choice to buy alpha 9, until now alpha 7 was the winner .... they did not have problems at a lower price !!!!
I don't understand why people can't say things like, "I wish LG would improve their processor, as I think Sony's is better." Or "the alpha 9 processor still doesn't do as good a job with motion as I'd like."

Why is it necessary to suggest the LG TV's with alpha 9 have "defective software" and suggest it is a "stupid choice" to buy a TV with that software? Is it necessary to go over the top like that? It doesn't seem to me that such comments will lead to helpful dialogue on a user's forum. Or, to put it another way, let's pretend we're not twitter. Just my $.02.
post #9503 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
My curiosity got to me and I checked out The Revenant UHD scene starting at 1:17:29. My 65C8 showed major "macroblocking" issues with the background above the fire as others have seen. I am using Technicolor default and sit 7 feet away although it was noticeable from further. I had noticed some problems with lower quality cable programming and chalked that up to the source but a high quality UHD transfer is a different story. It is interesting how most low ire content looks great but a few particular scenes mess with the TV. I am taking the disc to the store where I bought it to see if their display has the same issue with that scene.

When changing brightness to 49 the macroblocking went away but of course exhibits black crush as at that setting I can only get to 18 on the AVS 709 brightness test.
Do you have access to the Vikings scene? That one is really bad for some. Like you say, certain scenes at a certain IRE can make the TV really glitch out.
post #9504 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Do you have access to the Vikings scene? That one is really bad for some. Like you say, certain scenes at a certain IRE can make the TV really glitch out.
I don't but The Revenant and also the flashing colors test told me what I needed to know and feared.
post #9505 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 798
There must be some panel variance involved then because the revenant scene barely causes the flashing near-black issue on mine. I would have to look really hard to see it and that involves pausing/unpausing. During normal playback I wouldn't see a problem during that scene.

But the vikings scene on the other hand shows it really badly on my panel...
post #9506 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
There must be some panel variance involved then because the revenant scene barely causes the flashing near-black issue on mine. I would have to look really hard to see it and that involves pausing/unpausing. During normal playback I wouldn't see a problem during that scene.

But the vikings scene on the other hand shows it really badly on my panel...
On mine, at normal seated distance, I can't really see the macroblocking in that Revenant scene. Up closer, I can see like milky looking macroblocks at the top right, which of course disappear when pause is pressed.

But yeah...that vikings scene...my panel goes nuts with that one. Worse than the handsmaids scene, if that could even be possible.

Last edited by iSeries; 12-07-2018 at 09:03 AM.
post #9507 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
On mine, at normal seated distance, I can't really see the macroblocking in that Revenant scene. Up closer, I can see like milky looking macroblocks at the top right, which of course disappear when pause is pressed.

But yeah...that vikings scene...my panel goes nuts with that one. Worse than the handsmaids scene, if that could even be possible.
Could all the flashing macroblocking just be a bad ootb calibration? I've read a few people say it isn't as bad if you change some settings so can it be it's a calibration issue? Maybe that's why Vincent didn't see it in his latest video? But I also remember they issued a firmware update late last year on the c7 to fix near black noise..so who knows..
post #9508 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalder19 View Post
Could all the flashing macroblocking just be a bad ootb calibration? I've read a few people say it isn't as bad if you change some settings so can it be it's a calibration issue? Maybe that's why Vincent didn't see it in his latest video? But I also remember they issued a firmware update late last year on the c7 to fix near black noise..so who knows..
just remembered that with pausing the video it goes away...so that would probably rule out calibration.
iSeries likes this.
post #9509 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Sorry to hear people are still having issues with lg oleds. I own an e6 and it has a bunch of processing issues that won’t go away such as motion artifacts on occasion and blochy black crush issues in dark scenes, really horrible. I needed a new tv for another location and just wasn’t willing to go lg oled again, went with a 75 inch Sony 900f, very happy with it, especially for the money. I never understood how the problems I see with my e6 weren’t brought up as a major issue with all the reviewers, they all fawned over it, said it was just about perfect. Ah the cult of oled, glad I escaped! Regards. Ned.
iSeries likes this.
post #9510 of 19157 Old 12-07-2018, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprememilo View Post
My C8 is showing up soon, is there any recommended break in procedure like the old plasma colored slides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, if you're going to get your TV calibrated, I think many people on this forum will agree that you still need to run about 100 hours of break in slides, just on and off, about 8 hours at a time. Some even just let the TV run 24/7 but any RGB slides will work. I use the old plasma ones. After about 100 hours, I get it calibrated and the picture is stunning.

LGOLED65C7P | OPPO UPD-203 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Klipsch RP-280F X2 | Klipsch RP-450C | Klipsch RP-160M X2 | KEF Q100 X2 | HSU Research VTF-3 MK5
LGOLED65C8P
LGOLED55E7P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page