2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 320 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80791Likes

post #9571 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazepharmacist View Post
I have amazon prime and i'll be sure to check out that show in both versions! I didn't know you could watch both sdr hdr versions of the same content on amazon prime. on netflix, i don't think there's a way to toggle hdr/dv on or off to see the difference.
Season 1 was available in both formats for Amazon Prime members. I'm not sure if that is true for Season 2 which just started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9572 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
I’m an e6 owner, where better to discuss the latest thoughts on the newest lg oled panels. Not trolling, just stopping by, observing owners still complaining about similar issues I have with my e6. Not being nasty, seen plenty of that on the forum over time, over the top contentious stuff. Seems some people are very overly sensitive, as if questioning the inherent superiority of one technology over another is a personal affront. Nit picking stuff after all, first world problems. If no one responded to me, it would have been the last of me here, don’t think much of the people who attack an experienced and long standing member just because. Regards. Ned.
It's probably because you're from Jersey.

Seriously, I've been just following along, but if I may, I'd suggest that a comment like this in your initial post on the issue is bound to inflame and suggest to some that you didn't come here just to "discuss the latest thoughts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Ah the cult of oled, glad I escaped!
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #9573 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post
I'm surprised but glad you find your local news and sports look really good on your C8. Same goes for Netflix and Amazon Prime of which I have both. I do find moments when watching the local news, CNN and some sports, were it looks really good. Most of the time not so much. When watching a broadcast segment I find myself thinking, that looks good, that looks soft, that looks blurry, that looks terrible, that looks great! Never had this problem with my old 1080p set. The thing I find really hard to comprehend is how good broadcast TV and 720p movies look on my brother's year old 65" curved Samsung UHD set. In most cases broadcast HD looks really good and better than my former 1080p set. The C8 is newer, has a new processor, costs more, but doesn't look nearly as good with broadcast HD and 720p sources, IMO. How is that possible?
I see you have an OPPO 203. Have you considered putting the Dish output into the OPPO's HDMI input and letting the OPPO do the upscaling? Yes you would have to have the OPPO on when watching the broadcast content from Dish, but this may prove to be a better upscaling solution than what you are seeing on your C8.
Just suggesting....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9574 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
My set is still showing that no update is available. Is there anyone else in the USA that is still not able to get the latest update OTA?
I'm in Northern California and showing no update available. Just downloaded and installed via USB flash drive this evening.
smitty, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #9575 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Tbh I haven't seen that movie yet...but it's on the to do list!
See it now....NOW. Lol. The movie itself is very good as well. Basically a sci-fi drama! I now have put that on my just want to be blown away look, while listening to music list!
Cam1977 likes this.
post #9576 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
Not calibrated. I think they do some very basic factory WB calibration and pressing reset puts it to the pre factory calibration values, which are definitely way off.
Please remind us, which OLED do you currently own?
Cam1977 likes this.
post #9577 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
For those that have Star Trek Beyond 4k blu ray copy can you please check this scene...it is at 1:45:20...their is weird flashing going on...attached is what I'm seeing. My settings are technicolor with brightness at 50 and dynamic tone mapping on. This is the only 4k hdr movie that I've encountered this, just wondering if it's the content or my settings.
Been researching this flashing/macro blocking issue as I just got my set 2 weeks ago. Were you able to determine that it was a disc issue or a possible TV issue? So far the Revenant scene is the only scene I have access to that the set doesn’t handle properly.
calfcramp and Cam1977 like this.
post #9578 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 91
the new Reference disc for 4k. absolutley mind blowing stuff

Pics from my 77" c8 with an oppo 203

post #9579 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3759
@pwiss yup Its the disk, I was able to replicate it on my 940e, just in case I tested it on both sdr/hdr10 versions. Thanks for bringing this up actually because it proves I'm not oblivious to possible issues in regards to the C8, unfortunately that movie sucks in HDR lots of scenes with weirdness going on. I can't comment on the Revenant because I don't currently own it.
pwiss and calfcramp like this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 12-07-2018 at 08:16 PM.
post #9580 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
C8 owner in dallas. firmware update not available yet.
post #9581 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
@pwiss yup Its the disk, I was able to replicate it on my 940e, just in case I tested it on both sdr/hdr10 versions. Thanks for bringing this up actually because it proves I'm not oblivious to possible issues in regards to the C8, unfortunately that movie sucks in HDR lots of scenes with weirdness going on. I can't comment on the Revenant because I don't currently own it.
If LG comes up with a fix that would be icing on the cake. I don’t have black crush as I read that some have but Wizziwig’s brightness test on 2.4 or BT1886 show some weirdness that the B7A didn’t have. All of the boxes are not filled in as before so something is wrong. I thought about swapping out but my set has much better uniformity than my B7A had. I would hate to get a worse panel as poor uniformity bugs me more than a one minute clip of one movie that a replacement might still have an issue with. Otherwise the C8 has been a nice improvement overall as my Xfinity picture quality is improved due to the A9 processor. And tinting is much better except for a perceived slight blue tint on the left edge on all white screens. No more yellow tint on the middle left that the previous set had. The topper so far is the new Technicolor white point. Looks calibrated to my eyes as I have had Jeff Meier and Michael Chen out to calibrate previous sets in the past. Thank you for your feedback on the C8 as that has been a big reason I pursued the upgrade.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #9582 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3759
^yeah this set is definitely an upgrade over my C7...but not by much. The example given for Star Trek Beyond is the disk as I mentioned in my previous response...it is easily replicated on my 940e and C7, I've yet to see that kind of fluctuations on any other content.

Edit: I went back again, and I believe I got the time stamp wrong. I'm gonna have to watch movie again tomorrow and check back in.

Last edited by Cam1977; 12-07-2018 at 09:41 PM.
post #9583 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Dear Smithy, they have released much alpha 9 praise for almost a year .... and what did this processor bring ... Nothing.!!!Why they have fools that it will be revolutionary !! Until now, they just fixed what went away from the factory, meaning they had a TV with a faulty software and when they caught by the customers, they did not recognize it in the first phase and then repaired it. Well, if in a year after their release they did not just repair what was not meant to be spoiled in the first phase, let me be forgiven, but it is a poor quality company. And they think theat we are very stupid tu pay and nit expect any good products....
post #9584 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 09:48 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6680 Post(s)
Liked: 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
You have to add Passengers to that list!!! Saw that again last night. The movie was gorgeous. Especially the last seen, with space!
That was an excellent movie........
calfcramp likes this.
post #9585 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinelionut View Post
Dear Smithy, they have released much alpha 9 praise for almost a year .... and what did this processor bring ... Nothing.!!!Why they have fools that it will be revolutionary !! Until now, they just fixed what went away from the factory, meaning they had a TV with a faulty software and when they caught by the customers, they did not recognize it in the first phase and then repaired it. Well, if in a year after their release they did not just repair what was not meant to be spoiled in the first phase, let me be forgiven, but it is a poor quality company. And they think theat we are very stupid tu pay and nit expect any good products....
Huh?
post #9586 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto pylot View Post
please remind us, which oled do you currently own?

65c8
post #9587 of 21706 Old 12-07-2018, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone experience any slight (very slight) audio delay/sync issues when using the E8 with the Sonos Beam plugged into the HDMI Arc port? Specifically set on "Auto".

Experienced it watching John Wick 2 and The Matrix.

Any advice on how to remedy?

Thanks!

Last edited by Vanexel711; 12-08-2018 at 12:19 AM.
post #9588 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 4
What I wanted to say is: they launched the new alpha 9 processors all most an year ago and all they have done so far has been to fix the software problems that came with the TV ... problems that did not exist on cheaper b8. They showed us some presentation clips how this new processor will revolutionize the motion issues on lg tv's, but they tricked us ....This processor is the same as a7, but we have been but whit high price ...why, this alpha 9 is not theat good? Is because this proc is made by Lg?
post #9589 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
I'm in San Diego as well. After checking almost every day for the OTA update and not getting it, I just downloaded the new firmware from LG's site and updated with no problem. Hardest part was actually getting the USB stick connected to the TV since its mounted on the wall and I have very little clearance back there. New firmware looks great so far.
Mine is in kind of an awkward place as well if I want to reach any of the USB ports, so I got a USB extension cable and just leave it plugged in. Might be worth considering for you as well.
rdgcss and mrtickleuk like this.
post #9590 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4887 Post(s)
Liked: 7189
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazepharmacist View Post
I didn't know you could watch both sdr hdr versions of the same content on amazon prime. on netflix, i don't think there's a way to toggle hdr/dv on or off to see the difference.
You are wording it as if it's a good thing on Amazon Video, but believe me it is a very, very BAD thing.

You see, for each series, they split the HDR version into a SEPARATE title. called "<series> (4k HDR)". Next,
  • It can't be found in searches (only about 10% of the HDR titles get matched in a search)
  • It is buried completely in the interface, and you have to scroll to find a category called "Included with Prime: 4K Ultra HD TV". This used to be 4th in the list, now it's 37th, or 50th, or whatever - their stupid list of a million "dynamic" ever-changing categories is never ever static.
  • It takes several minutes of scrolling to get there.
  • The SDR versions are very heavily promoted with banner ads in the app; on the website, etc. The HDR versions are never ever promoted in the banner ads.
  • The consequences of all this is the MOST people with HDR TVs will not realise and they will watch the SDR version by mistake. Some of them won't know anything at all about HDR - perhaps it was a tick-list item when they bought the TV and they have never even seen HDR. And in Amazon Video, they never will. Others will know about HDR, will know it's "available in HDR" because they've seen adverts, and they will think that they are watching HDR.
  • Amazon are hiding their crown jewels (some of the best-looking HDR content in the world) at the bottom of a deep bucket of feculence (their UI).

If you are in America, there's a webpage listing Amazon's HDR titles. If not you are utterly screwed as above. What most of us have to do is wade through the feculance once, adding each and every HDR series to our Amazon "Watchlist".
escu likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #9591 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It's here! Just need a 4k player and some reference content! Pro calibration coming in June.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Latinoheat, nelamvr6 and escu like this.

Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS4
post #9592 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
Well, I applied the latest LG update that supposedly fixed the dimming issue....I was watching the Nun 4k version tonight and around the 1:05-1:12 mark, It was looking very dim, so I got my remote and turned the volume up and the screen immediately brightened up.....guess this issue isn't completely fixed. I'm watching on a 77" C8.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Faced the very same thing watching haunted hill ep 9 or something , only after pressing volume or pause/resume the brightness came back to normal.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
post #9593 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3858 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Well, I applied the latest LG update that supposedly fixed the dimming issue....I was watching the Nun 4k version tonight and around the 1:05-1:12 mark, It was looking very dim, so I got my remote and turned the volume up and the screen immediately brightened up.....guess this issue isn't completely fixed. I'm watching on a 77" C8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_gamer View Post
Faced the very same thing watching haunted hill ep 9 or something , only after pressing volume or pause/resume the brightness came back to normal.

You guys are talking a completely different kind of "dimming". What you see is ASBL. The firmware addresses ABL issues.
You can turn off ASBL in the service menu, there's an entire thread about it here. I turned it off in my 65C8 and its a whole different experience now.
post #9594 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenBF View Post
So, I can't watch it on Prime, but I still have it recorded on my DVR. From my DVR when I watch this episode, I see no noticeable items, I looked up the scene..I had to read else where the description since my recording had commercials and the time is different, and there are no issues with that scene for me. So, could it be Amazon's stream? Just trying to give you more options then your TV has problems. I have had issues with other shows, like Mayans where I would get blocking effects, but I checked other TVs, non OLED and the issue was there as well. But good luck hope you are able to enjoy this TV soon.

Hey, thanks for checking. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the TV greatly 95% of the time.

For those of us affected, there are a couple of easy ways to verify whether it is the content, or the TV. During a scene that appears to show the issue, if you press pause and the blocks stay at the same brightness, it's the content. If they disappear, as if by magic, it's the TV. And secondly, if turning the 'colour' control to 0 stops the flashing on that scene, it's the TV.

Last edited by iSeries; 12-08-2018 at 06:49 AM.
post #9595 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Baker View Post
the new Reference disc for 4k. absolutley mind blowing stuff

Pics from my 77" c8 with an oppo 203

Those pictures look stunning. Sure you’re not playing Jumanji? Regards. Ned.
post #9596 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You guys are talking a completely different kind of "dimming". What you see is ASBL. The firmware addresses ABL issues.
You can turn off ASBL in the service menu, there's an entire thread about it here. I turned it off in my 65C8 and its a whole different experience now.
Yea , both are different . Am ok with asbl most of the time

post #9597 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
So here's a strange one.

The .15 firmware update messed up my professional calibration as I was afraid it might -- different picture with the same settings. But it did not mess it up permanently...

I applied the update last evening. When the TV restarted, I immediately noticed that the picture was not the same, on the same source with the same content. It was noticeably brighter, in a bad way -- picture lost its sense of depth and looked a bit washed out. There was also noticeable edge enhancement, as though the sharpness was turned up, even though it was set to 0.

My awesome (even on SDR content) Chad B picture looked more like an LCD

This was on ISF Bright and Dark.

I tried cold-booting it twice, by turning it off and then unplugging it for about 20 seconds. The second time, I held in the power switch on the back (to drain the capacitors) while it was unplugged. This did not help.

Very oddly, both times I plugged it back in, the TV turned itself on right away! I thought "What the heck, if we have a temporary power failure while I am not home, will I come home to the TV being on?"

Some experimentation revealed that if I turned the Contrast from the usual 85 down to 81 or so, the picture recovered a lot of its pleasing naturalness and saturation, but at the cost of the loss of some black details.

I gave up at that point and just watched TV for the evening, figuring that I'd use a calibration disc today to poke at it.

First thing today, after the TV had been turned off but plugged in all night, I unplugged it again. This time I left it unplugged for 15 - 20 minutes. When I plugged it back in, it did NOT turn itself back on like it was doing last night. Hmmmmmm....

And when I turned it on with the remote, it was back to normal again, looks great now with the Contrast at 85.

I don't really like the fact that these televisions are computers now.
Chad B, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by shadowspawn; 12-08-2018 at 09:03 AM.
post #9598 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Thanks for the info, so is this ASBL normal? Meaning they won't be trying to fix this in a future firmware?

Are there any cons to disabling it in the service menu?

post #9599 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinelionut View Post
What I wanted to say is: they launched the new alpha 9 processors all most an year ago and all they have done so far has been to fix the software problems that came with the TV ... problems that did not exist on cheaper b8. They showed us some presentation clips how this new processor will revolutionize the motion issues on lg tv's, but they tricked us ....This processor is the same as a7, but we have been but whit high price ...why, this alpha 9 is not theat good? Is because this proc is made by Lg?
No software or other issues with my 65 C8 .
post #9600 of 21706 Old 12-08-2018, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3858 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Thanks for the info, so is this ASBL normal? Meaning they won't be trying to fix this in a future firmware?

Are there any cons to disabling it in the service menu?
Its meant to dim the screen when there has been no "motion" for a minute or so. Unfortunately is gets confused on very dark images and doesn't "see" any motion. The idea is to limit risk of burn-in from static images. So no they won't be "fixing" it. But it would be nice if they gave us user control or even adjustment. I'm fine without it, YMMV.
tbass2k and calfcramp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page