2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 321 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80785Likes

post #9601 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
Thanks for the info, so is this ASBL normal? Meaning they won't be trying to fix this in a future firmware?

Are there any cons to disabling it in the service menu?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
There are always cons to entering the SM to fix an issue. Even with the current set of instructions and a service remote, the potential to doing serious harm to your panel should you press the wrong button or accidentally move to an area you didn't meant to is still very great. Be very careful. If you do mess something up, it may void your warranty if LG knows what you did.
tbass2k likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9602 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
65c8
Me to. Zero issues.
post #9603 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
So here's a strange one.

The .15 firmware update messed up my professional calibration as I was afraid it might -- different picture with the same settings. But it did not mess it up permanently...

I applied the update last evening. When the TV restarted, I immediately noticed that the picture was not the same, on the same source with the same content. It was noticeably brighter, in a bad way -- picture lost its sense of depth and looked a bit washed out. There was also noticeable edge enhancement, as though the sharpness was turned up, even though it was set to 0.

My awesome (even on SDR content) Chad B picture looked more like an LCD

This was on ISF Bright and Dark.

I tried cold-booting it twice, by turning it off and then unplugging it for about 20 seconds. The second time, I held in the power switch on the back (to drain the capacitors) while it was unplugged. This did not help.

Very oddly, both times I plugged it back in, the TV turned itself on right away! I thought "What the heck, if we have a temporary power failure while I am not home, will I come home to the TV being on?"

Some experimentation revealed that if I turned the Contrast from the usual 85 down to 81 or so, the picture recovered a lot of its pleasing naturalness and saturation, but at the cost of the loss of some black details.

I gave up at that point and just watched TV for the evening, figuring that I'd use a calibration disc today to poke at it.

First thing today, after the TV had been turned off but plugged in all night, I unplugged it again. This time I left it unplugged for 15 - 20 minutes. When I plugged it back in, it did NOT turn itself back on like it was doing last night. Hmmmmmm....

And when I turned it on with the remote, it was back to normal again, looks great now with the Contrast at 85.

I don't really like the fact that these televisions are computers now.
If I may, what calibration disk are you using?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9604 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post
It's here! Just need a 4k player and some reference content! Pro calibration coming in June.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Congratulations!!! I hope you enjoy your set as much as I do. Best TV I have owned, of course I said that about my E6 lol!!! As for reference material, I would recommend Pacific Rim, the first one. It is still considered a reference 4K disc. Also Blade Runner 2049, Avengers Infinity war, Black Panther and the one I think is probably the ultimate....Planet Earth 2. Each of these movies will show how true the blacks can be, and how vibrant the colors are. On Netflix, Altered Carbon's intro scene is amazing...and I do love the rest of the show as well!!! If you have the HD package for Netflix the onboard Netflix app will show most 4K UHD programs in Dolby Vision and some of them are simply stunning!! I personally have the Oppo-203 4K blue ray player and I am so upset Oppo has gotten out of the player business. Other people on here can recommend good players, and I have read the new Panasonic one is top notch. Again, welcome to the forums/club and enjoy!!
post #9605 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
hello, next week my c8 65 arrives. I'm pretty worried, the probability of receiving a defective panel is high or can I feel comfortable? Do you think the last batches of production are better?

Thanks
rkammer likes this.
post #9606 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagashira View Post
hello, next week my c8 65 arrives. I'm pretty worried, the probability of receiving a defective panel is high or can I feel comfortable? Do you think the last batches of production are better?

Thanks
There is no way of telling. If the tv was warehoused, it could be an early 2018 mfr date or later. I purchased mine locally in Sept. and have had none of the issues reported here.
post #9607 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagashira View Post

Thanks
I bought mine in July and the manufacture date on it was in June, and I have had no issues either. Hopefully, most sets are good, and it only seems like there are alot of defective ones because most people if they have no issues will never post, so you have no way of measuring what the ratio of good to bad is. If you read the forums you would think that maybe 65-70% have problems. I hope you will be able to enjoy yours!!! Everyday at some point when I am watching, I do have a WOW moment lol!!
calfcramp likes this.
post #9608 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
Thanks for the info, so is this ASBL normal? Meaning they won't be trying to fix this in a future firmware?

Are there any cons to disabling it in the service menu?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

LG's implementation of ASBL has been like that at least since 2016 Oleds. If it couldn't be disabled in the service menu this would annoy me very much.

Disabling it has of course the disadvantage that the screen will no longer dim if you take a break or fall asleep while displaying a static picture, thus increasing the risk of burn-in if you're not careful.

*waiting for Otto to reply and tell everyone that his set doesn't have any issues
post #9609 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:

*waiting for Otto to reply and tell everyone that his set doesn't have any issues
Ouch.
tbass2k, jk82 and iSeries like this.
post #9610 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Belt View Post
If I may, what calibration disk are you using?

Thanks

I have, and have used, Avia, Digital Video Essentials, that Disney disc, the AVS disc, and GetGray.

I did not use a disc today. I was planning to, to try to objectify what I was seeing (that the same calibrated settings were not delivering the correct performance after the firmware update), but when the firmware straightened itself out after a long unplug, that was no longer necessary.

These days I am kind of partial to GetGray, so that is what I probably would have used. There may be newer, better for 4K OLED discs that I am not familiar with. But since I started getting professional calibration for displays that I really care about a few years ago, I have not used any calibration discs except on oddball displays like my wife's 32" LED in the kitchen, or my old 50" Pioneer plasma before I gave it away to our daughter and her finance a couple of years ago.
Tool Belt likes this.
post #9611 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 10:27 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6679 Post(s)
Liked: 6674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
There are always cons to entering the SM to fix an issue. Even with the current set of instructions and a service remote, the potential to doing serious harm to your panel should you press the wrong button or accidentally move to an area you didn't meant to is still very great. Be very careful. If you do mess something up, it may void your warranty if LG knows what you did.
True that.......
post #9612 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
Mine doesn't have any issues either! I suspect that Otto and I have been deemed especially worthy.
post #9613 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 10:58 AM

Liked: 1
Ok, thanks all.
I Hope im lucky with the lottery, I know people that have oleds in home but nobody have problems uniformity (i think because they dont search for the problems)
post #9614 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Unfortunately is gets confused on very dark images and doesn't "see" any motion.

Does this happen only with the LG sets or do the Sony OLEDs get confused as well?

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
post #9615 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttboy View Post
Broncocap, there are a couple of test videos that are pretty good. If you hit the HOME button on the remote, you can scroll left to see a an area where it says "photos and videos"....in the internal storage folder there are two videos called "Dolomite" and "Fiji".
One semi-offtopic question on this. Is the "Dolomite" video the one displaying Carezza's lake? I ask because it's been subject to a catastrophic tempest, see this:

I noticed the video, I think, in Vincent's review and I really want to know if that's what I've seen. It might be the best memory of my teen years, preserved in good quality.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #9616 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 11:18 AM

Liked: 7
Can someone else check episode 1 of Bad Blood on Netflix and let me know if around the 25 minute mark where they're talking in a basement, are you seeing some dark sections flash on your TVs? In the background and on Vito's the chair.
post #9617 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Baker View Post
the new Reference disc for 4k. absolutley mind blowing stuff

Pics from my 77" c8 with an oppo 203

Definitely want to buy this...It's showing on Amazon for pre-order though for feb 26th
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #9618 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenBF View Post
Congratulations!!! I hope you enjoy your set as much as I do. Best TV I have owned, of course I said that about my E6 lol!!! As for reference material, I would recommend Pacific Rim, the first one. It is still considered a reference 4K disc. Also Blade Runner 2049, Avengers Infinity war, Black Panther and the one I think is probably the ultimate....Planet Earth 2. Each of these movies will show how true the blacks can be, and how vibrant the colors are. On Netflix, Altered Carbon's intro scene is amazing...and I do love the rest of the show as well!!! If you have the HD package for Netflix the onboard Netflix app will show most 4K UHD programs in Dolby Vision and some of them are simply stunning!! I personally have the Oppo-203 4K blue ray player and I am so upset Oppo has gotten out of the player business. Other people on here can recommend good players, and I have read the new Panasonic one is top notch. Again, welcome to the forums/club and enjoy!!
Hi, I currently have E6, and am thinking to go for C8. I can see that you did the same, exchanged E6 for C8. What is your experience with it, is it worthy ??
post #9619 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Ouch.
I know right, because searching with a magnifying glass for problems constantly is normal.
calfcramp likes this.
post #9620 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 2244
Just got my E8 delivered. Houston we have a problem. It’s not turning on for some reason. I can hear relay clicking but red light on front stays on. I assume it should go out?

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #9621 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by royozin View Post
Can someone else check episode 1 of Bad Blood on Netflix and let me know if around the 25 minute mark where they're talking in a basement, are you seeing some dark sections flash on your TVs? In the background and on Vito's the chair.

Try playing the same scene with color on the TV set to 0. If that stops the flashing then it's the flashing near-blacks issue.
That particular scene doesn't cause it on my TV but there might be panel variance involved.
This issue has been discussed before but it's all buried somewhere in this thread. On the UK forums there is a specific thread regarding this.

If you have access to amazon prime also try Vikings S05E12 scene starting at 35:27. It shows the issue really badly if your TV is affected. Use default settings with technicolor or ISF dark.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #9622 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post
All - Hoping any Oppo 103D owners can weigh in as I am trying to determine where my issue is from a settings perspective and I am hoping someone else is letting a 103d upscale to 4K and send to the C8 without odd motion issues.

In short, this started with running my Google Fiber TV Box through the Oppo for it's upscaling. For my previous Panny plasma this looked great at the Panny 1080p max resolution. Enter the LG C8......looks great with 1080p passsing through the oppo, then I upscaled to 4K using the "Force 4k option" on the Oppo......HOLY COW IT LOOKED AMAZING. I was singing and dancing, at the quality of the picture until.......I notice about every 20 seconds or so a bizarre single "Glitch/studder/judder" that lasts for one frame but is very obvious. It seems to happen during a cut from one scene to the next on almost all content. Otherwise, the picture was beyond great, but this is too annoying and clearly a glitch. So I began by focusing on the Google Fiber TV box and could not find a settiing that made this go away, and THEN I DISCOVERED that on Vudu and Netflix that are IN the Oppo it does the same thing, basically eliminating the Google Fiber cable box from the equation. Same exact story with this, beautiful picture but a bizarre occasional glitchy/studder when a scene cuts or there is maybe an action scene with heavy scene cuts/edits.

Now, I know this is some combo of LG motion settings and the Oppo settings. One thing I found is that turning off both Cinemotion and Tru motion completely fixes that motion issue but causes general motion issues that kill the picture. For reference, my default motion settings per RTNGS now is Cinemotion On, with TruMotion set to 0,0.

One other note, blu Ray's with Oppo set to "Force 4k" look unbelievably good with no motion issues at all.

In short anyone using a 103D to upscale to 4k and pass to this TV? If so what settings did you use assuming your motion looks normal. If I can get this right, this combo produces the single best image I've ever seen come out of SDR High Def content.

Thanks to any 103d owners for context. I can post this in that owners thread but my guess is that the LGc8 is going to be less represented in that thread than an Oppo would be in this one!!!

Thanks guys!!

Any 103D owners out there?

Thanks all!
post #9623 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Just got my E8 delivered. Houston we have a problem. It’s not turning on for some reason. I can hear relay clicking but red light on front stays on. I assume it should go out?

Yes. Red light is off with tv on.
Try unplugging tv for a few minutes then give it a try.
If this fails contact your dealer ASAP.
post #9624 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post
All - Hoping any Oppo 103D owners can weigh in as I am trying to determine where my issue is from a settings perspective and I am hoping someone else is letting a 103d upscale to 4K and send to the C8 without odd motion issues.

In short, this started with running my Google Fiber TV Box through the Oppo for it's upscaling. For my previous Panny plasma this looked great at the Panny 1080p max resolution. Enter the LG C8......looks great with 1080p passsing through the oppo, then I upscaled to 4K using the "Force 4k option" on the Oppo......HOLY COW IT LOOKED AMAZING. I was singing and dancing, at the quality of the picture until.......I notice about every 20 seconds or so a bizarre single "Glitch/studder/judder" that lasts for one frame but is very obvious. It seems to happen during a cut from one scene to the next on almost all content. Otherwise, the picture was beyond great, but this is too annoying and clearly a glitch. So I began by focusing on the Google Fiber TV box and could not find a settiing that made this go away, and THEN I DISCOVERED that on Vudu and Netflix that are IN the Oppo it does the same thing, basically eliminating the Google Fiber cable box from the equation. Same exact story with this, beautiful picture but a bizarre occasional glitchy/studder when a scene cuts or there is maybe an action scene with heavy scene cuts/edits.

Now, I know this is some combo of LG motion settings and the Oppo settings. One thing I found is that turning off both Cinemotion and Tru motion completely fixes that motion issue but causes general motion issues that kill the picture. For reference, my default motion settings per RTNGS now is Cinemotion On, with TruMotion set to 0,0.

One other note, blu Ray's with Oppo set to "Force 4k" look unbelievably good with no motion issues at all.

In short anyone using a 103D to upscale to 4k and pass to this TV? If so what settings did you use assuming your motion looks normal. If I can get this right, this combo produces the single best image I've ever seen come out of SDR High Def content.

Thanks to any 103d owners for context. I can post this in that owners thread but my guess is that the LGc8 is going to be less represented in that thread than an Oppo would be in this one!!!

Thanks guys!!

Any Oppo 103D owners out there?

Thanks all!
post #9625 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Maybe the tv was effected by temperature and will turn on after it warms up a bit (wild guess/hope). If not...phone call is in order. Let's just hope that E6 didn't put a curse on ya

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #9626 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosbgd View Post
Hi, I currently have E6, and am thinking to go for C8. I can see that you did the same, exchanged E6 for C8. What is your experience with it, is it worthy ??
So, I had read that going from an 6 series to a 7 wasn't that much of an upgrade, sort of like going from a 7 to an 8 may not be that huge a leap, but it would be a nice upgrade from a 6 to an 8. I also went from a 55 to a 65, but as in quality of picture and clarity, I honestly see a difference. Even regular HD looks good. There are a few new settings that make things easier and a little better, and the fact that there is internal Atmos now was a huge thing for me. I have an Atmos capable home theater system and once I got ARC all set up, playing an Atmos capable show like Altered Carbon, and especially Amazon's Jack Ryan were amazing. There are more viewing types to choose from, and on my E6 everyone would recommend ISF dark, I didn't like it because it was to dark and dingy for me, but on this TV it's perfect. I could go on about the little things, but to answer your question...yes it was worth it. I will add, I didn't actively seek this TV out. I had 3 TVs and one of them died, was 9+ years old so no huge loss. Because of that I had to replace a TV, so I decided to change out my living room 55 E6 for the 65 C8 and it was a good decision, no regrets!!
post #9627 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Maybe the tv was effected by temperature and will turn on after it warms up a bit (wild guess/hope). If not...phone call is in order. Let's just hope that E6 didn't put a curse on ya

Lol. She’s dead as the dodo. Another week for a replacement.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #9628 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lol. She’s dead as the dodo. Another week for a replacement.
Oh man that sucks. Welp, they say the anticipation is half the fun. Or maybe that saying had something to do with the ladies...old timers kicking in again

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #9629 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm just waiting for my 65c8 to be delivered... I'm very excited, moving from a 65" 2013 panasonic plasma!

Do I need to run any slides or anything when I first get it, or just start watching stuff?
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #9630 of 21701 Old 12-08-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumofatguy View Post
I'm just waiting for my 65c8 to be delivered... I'm very excited, moving from a 65" 2013 panasonic plasma!

Do I need to run any slides or anything when I first get it, or just start watching stuff?
Just avoid things with stationary pieces of imagery and enjoy. Slides are nice...but I prefer a good 4K movie
calfcramp likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page