2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 374 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81535Likes

post #11191 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5405 Post(s)
Liked: 7798
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4t3r View Post
Appreciate it. It’s a brand new panel so I know there’s some break-in, but wasn’t expecting to encounter this with OLED. I had some success in SDR with lowering brightness and increasing OLED light, but from reading that seems to maybe not be the right adjustment. Haven’t tried it with HDR yet. I will see if I can find some test patterns to work through. All of my testing is in a dark room, and a full 0 IRE screen is perfectly black. I am partial to very deep blacks so I can deal with a little bit of crush to maintain that deep contrast - just a preference. Really just trying to rule out any major defects as the uniformity and banding is otherwise pretty good on this particular panel so far.
There is panel variation but you should find it settles over the first 200 hours, and the brightness setting (such as >50) that you now need to see the dark detail will reduce over time. So re-do it every few weeks until it's settled.

Also, some great free HDR10 test patterns in this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...terns-set.html
gymnos likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 01-06-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11192 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I had so many questions and y'all were so helpful I thought I would follow-up with my BB experience.

After hearing so many conflicting reports on sports and motion on the C8, I decided to drive an hour to a BB and ask the salesman to show me sports and he kindly obliged, via the native YouTube app connected to the BB WiFi. It was horrible - worse than I could have imagined. I asked him to change a few of the settings described here and he couldn't find them in the menu.

Yesterday, I gathered my TiVo Bolt and drove an hour past that BB to a Magnolia. I told them the above and they kindly hooked my DVR up to a C8. We watched some football, hockey and Big Bang Theory from the DVR. The Magnolia guys were great in making setting changes that I recommended (thanks to you guys) and indeed, the C8 will handle anything thrown at it!

The settings for sports made Big Bang Theory look slightly janky but I think I could find a happy medium with help here (I'd personally prefer to find one picture mode for all, since I switch alot between sports and other shows (and don't want to also switch picture mode with each channel change).

I'm in. We shall see what CES brings but there WILL be a 77" C-series hanging in my house soon.

Thanks for encouraging me to look again after first BB experience!
DERG, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #11193 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post
I had so many questions and y'all were so helpful I thought I would follow-up with my BB experience.

After hearing so many conflicting reports on sports and motion on the C8, I decided to drive an hour to a BB and ask the salesman to show me sports and he kindly obliged, via the native YouTube app connected to the BB WiFi. It was horrible - worse than I could have imagined. I asked him to change a few of the settings described here and he couldn't find them in the menu.

Yesterday, I gathered my TiVo Bolt and drove an hour past that BB to a Magnolia. I told them the above and they kindly hooked my DVR up to a C8. We watched some football, hockey and Big Bang Theory from the DVR. The Magnolia guys were great in making setting changes that I recommended (thanks to you guys) and indeed, the C8 will handle anything thrown at it!

The settings for sports made Big Bang Theory look slightly janky but I think I could find a happy medium with help here (I'd personally prefer to find one picture mode for all, since I switch alot between sports and other shows (and don't want to also switch picture mode with each channel change).

I'm in. We shall see what CES brings but there WILL be a 77" C-series hanging in my house soon.

Thanks for encouraging me to look again after first BB experience!

I have a 77” C8 and it replaced a Chad b calibrated JVC 750 (120” screen) and it don’t miss the projector at all! Properly dialed in, picture quality is fantastic! I’m sure you’ll be delighted. If money’s no object, go for the new 2019 (and you can wait a bit), but the 2018’s should be meaningfully less expensive and very nearly as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jbhur212 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11194 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Has anyone on east coast in USA received the 4.10.25 update?

I am still on 4.10.15 and was wondering what improvements the new FW brings. My set is actually working pretty damn good right now. I do seem to have issue when reconnecting BT headphones..quite often I have to remove device and re-pair them. Annoying but not huge.

I did download the new firmware off their Korean site but haven't installed it yet. Cannot find much info on what fixes it brings other than full compatibility with the HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) HDR format which is mainly used in UK afaik.

On another note, the best quality streaming content I've seen is the new Bird House on Netflix..amazing quality but still it looks better when streamed through my ATV rather than the native app.

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
post #11195 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7042 Post(s)
Liked: 7077
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman35 View Post
To confirm, are most peoples C8 frames on this thread perfectly straight?
Mine is bent...... These screens are flexible to a degree, you can bend them. Not to mention imagine how hard it is to keep something true, from side to side, top to bottom, and diagonal that is this thin. Frankly, that is impossible.
post #11196 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
I searched the thread and almost no one has brought up this issue here. Some random ones for the older B7/C7 are the ones that come up most often.

I'd say my bottom frame bows in about 1/8" in the center. The top curves slightly as well, but not as much. The plastic screen reflections are wavy as a result of these I think.
On the fence on whether to exchange, picture quality is fine and vertical banding is acceptable. Worried about getting a worse panel, but perfect frame on the next one.
Mine is straight. No bends that I can see

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #11197 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4t3r View Post
Appreciate it. It’s a brand new panel so I know there’s some break-in, but wasn’t expecting to encounter this with OLED. I had some success in SDR with lowering brightness and increasing OLED light, but from reading that seems to maybe not be the right adjustment. Haven’t tried it with HDR yet. I will see if I can find some test patterns to work through. All of my testing is in a dark room, and a full 0 IRE screen is perfectly black. I am partial to very deep blacks so I can deal with a little bit of crush to maintain that deep contrast - just a preference. Really just trying to rule out any major defects as the uniformity and banding is otherwise pretty good on this particular panel so far.
For HDR10 test patterns, I used the same patterns that "mrtickleuk" noted in his post above. It took awhile to download all the patterns but you could just download the "black level" patterns first and load them on a USB thumb drive. I suggest using the non Google option for downloading as Google Drives locked up frequently for me. For SDR, I used the AVS HD709 test patterns found here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...libration.html

Please report back with your brightness settings once you are able to set up and test the black level patterns. Others have reported that it can take as many as 400 hours for the panel to settle and the brightness setting should come down if you are starting with something more than 50.

Sean
post #11198 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 10:03 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
this post is now longer than I first intended but hope it explains my point better

No need to apologize for taking so much effort to be as informative and concise as you can be. Very interesting stuff.
Glenee, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #11199 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markalark View Post
Do you have a time stamp and episode #? I can try and test on my C8 for ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just started using Tapatalk. If I wanted to PM you or someone else, where is the button? I want to PM you but I don't know if you specifically use Tapatalk so if anyone at all could just tell me how to do it or if I have to go to the web that would be great. Thank you very much!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

post #11200 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Mine is bent...... These screens are flexible to a degree, you can bend them. Not to mention imagine how hard it is to keep something true, from side to side, top to bottom, and diagonal that is this thin. Frankly, that is impossible.
I think because it's so thin other than the base and that they want you to lay it down and then lift it back up after you've attached the bass we were terrified stop bending the screen I'm so terrified of even wiping it with a microfiber anyting it's that thin but if it's just slightly mild event it's it's it's on this base for a while unless you've mounted it it'll probably find his bearings

post #11201 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 10:29 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You made me curious. Using an 8' long straight edge (I have handy from years of home remodeling construction) I checked, There is no warp or bend on my 77" or 65" C8s frames. Using a lengthy level they seem perfectly perpendicular to the stand as well.

Russ (another one)

post #11202 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I still remember when the first LG OLEDs came out and the guy at BB fisted a panel and said it is flexible and versatile and one cannot do that with a plasma or LCD, so yes they can bend. With that said I am not going to that to my C8. You can try it in the store if you desire!
calfcramp likes this.
post #11203 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I still remember when the first LG OLEDs came out and the guy at BB fisted a panel and said it is flexible and versatile and one cannot do that with a plasma or LCD, so yes they can bend. With that said I am not going to that to my C8. You can try it in the store if you desire!
Dont do it.

mrtickleuk likes this.

post #11204 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 10:42 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
I think because it's so thin other than the base and that they want you to lay it down and then lift it back up after you've attached the bass we were terrified stop bending the screen I'm so terrified of even wiping it with a microfiber anyting it's that thin but if it's just slightly mild event it's it's it's on this base for a while unless you've mounted it it'll probably find his bearings.

It certainly takes two to assemble and move the 65" and especially 77" models. They can however be assembled to the stand while upright. Remove from the packing upright having one hold the panel stable while another attaches the two pieces of the stand together and leaving it on the floor. Then together lift the panel onto the stand; it will sit into its proper position on the stand as one person holds it steady and the other person screws the stand to the back of the panel. Then together move the assembled TV to is new place of honor. Voila. No risk of bending.

Russ (another one)

post #11205 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
Dont do it.
-snip

Yes mama, that is what my last two statements convey.
post #11206 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Liked: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
It certainly takes two to assemble and move the 65" and especially 77" models. They can however be assembled to the stand while upright. Remove from the packing upright having one hold the panel stable while another attaches the two pieces of the stand together and leaving it on the floor. Then together lift the panel onto the stand; it will sit into its proper position on the stand as one person holds it steady and the other person screws the stand to the back of the panel. Then together move the assembled TV to is new place of honor. Voila. No risk of bending.

Yep. I watched the guys unpack and assemble my C8 and while they were quick about it, they were very careful assembling the base (the C8 sits on a media console) and then placing it on the console. I already had the cables in place and attached to my devices so there was minimal movement as well connecting it.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #11207 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I searched the thread and almost no one has brought up this issue here. Some random ones for the older B7/C7 are the ones that come up most often.

I'd say my bottom frame bows in about 1/8" in the center. The top curves slightly as well, but not as much. The plastic screen reflections are wavy as a result of these I think.
On the fence on whether to exchange, picture quality is fine and vertical banding is acceptable. Worried about getting a worse panel, but perfect frame on the next one.
Mine has a couple of slight bows on the bottom of the panel that I only notice with daylight is shining a reflection from behind. Otherwise I don't notice it at all. So it's not a concern to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	2506776  

Denon X4500H | Klipsch RP-280F | RP-450C | RP-160M | RP-240S | RP-500SA | Monolith 12" THX Subwoofer X2
Panasonic UB-820 Player | LG OLED65C8 TV | DirecTV HR54/200 | AppleTV 4K l Monoprice Certified HDMI Cables
post #11208 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertk View Post
Mine has a couple of slight bows on the bottom of the panel that I only notice with daylight is shining a reflection from behind. Otherwise I don't notice it at all. So it's not a concern to me.
Similar thing on my set on the right side bottom. The blinds opposite my screen when daylight is shining are slightly warped when appearing as a reflection at the bottom of my screen. But it is not noticeable on content, even when lettering is scrolling across the bottom of the screen. Even if you get right up to the screen, the lettering is sharp and not distorted at all.

And my panel looks straight. The way reflections work, it only takes a very slight warp or bow or whatever for it to distort a reflection to a large degree.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #11209 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
Quote:
Similar thing on my set on the right side bottom. The blinds opposite my screen when daylight is shining are slightly warped when appearing as a reflection at the bottom of my screen. But it is not noticeable on content, even when lettering is scrolling across the bottom of the screen. Even if you get right up to the screen, the lettering is sharp and not distorted at all.

And my panel looks straight. The way reflections work, it only takes a very slight warp or bow or whatever for it to distort a reflection to a large degree.
Might not be the panel that is warped but the way the AR filter was applied.
post #11210 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased a C8 a few weeks ago, just have a quick question. When i first the tv, i was tweaking the settings to my liking. When i would change the color temperature, it would change immediately. Two days ago i was tweaking the picture a little more but this time when i adjust the color temperature it had no immediate results, it looked as if it gradually changes over a 30sec period. While in sports mode i tried to adjust the temperature slider and it wasnt doing anything. All the rest of the settings: oled light, brightness etc. Have an immediate result, its just the temperature settings thats doing this. Could i have changed a setting to cause this? Is this normal with certain content? Im going do a factory rest to see if that help but if anyone knows anything please let me know, thanks
post #11211 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 02:32 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ Several people have remarked on this. I have experienced it a couple of times making adjustments. Don't know why it occurs but it seems the A9 gets bogged down with too many changes. The last time I made adjustments I didn't see a difference with the changes until I did a manual hard pixel refresh. Afterwards the changes were obvious.

Russ (another one)

post #11212 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Might not be the panel that is warped but the way the AR filter was applied.
Thanks for bring that up. After looking down the bottom edge of the panel it does look to have a slight bow to it. As Smitty pointed out when playing content it is not noticeable.

Denon X4500H | Klipsch RP-280F | RP-450C | RP-160M | RP-240S | RP-500SA | Monolith 12" THX Subwoofer X2
Panasonic UB-820 Player | LG OLED65C8 TV | DirecTV HR54/200 | AppleTV 4K l Monoprice Certified HDMI Cables
post #11213 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Sorry if the below have already been answered, but this is a very long thread and moves very quickly.

I haven't had a professional calibration and am just adjusting the basics in the picture settings based on rtings.com recommendations and had a couple of questions - including some about the processing features that are on by default and whether I should disable them. I thought a general rule was to turn off all processing to maintain the original image, but would like some clarification as the descriptions provided in the menu are pretty vague:

1. Should Sharpness be set to 0 in all picture modes (including HDR and DV)? What about Game modes?
2. Noise Reduction and MPEG Noise Reduction?
3. Super Resolution - I'm not even sure what this does?

Also, when copying an a picture setting to All Inputs, it seems to only copy the basic setting on the front screen but not the stuff in Expert Options and Picture Options - is there a way to copy those as well?

Thanks
post #11214 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 03:49 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpickem View Post
I do seem to have issue when reconnecting BT headphones..quite often I have to remove device and re-pair them. Annoying but not huge.

Someone a few days ago, maybe it was you, posted about using a Bluetooth transmitter for connecting to the AVR with wireless headphones. That post inspired me to get <a href="https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless/dp/B01KO1JNCA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce">this</a> delivered within the last hour and it is working great. I am using the included usb charging cable from the front of the Denon AVR and the included audio cable from the AVR headphone jack to the transmitter. Because I use ARC without any CEC problems from the C8 I have not opted to use the toslink connection from the AVR to transmitter. So I haven't experimented yet to see if using the toslink at all would cause any unwanted issues with ARC. I need ARC because I only use the C8's internal streaming apps like NF and AP without problems at all. But using the toslink from the AVR to the TX may allow for using the Bluetooth headphones without canceling out the use of external speakers for others to still hear like using the AVR headphone jack does. I'm alone most time so it's not a concern for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpickem View Post
On another note, the best quality streaming content I've seen is the new Bird House on Netflix..amazing quality but still it looks better when streamed through my ATV rather than the native app.

I watched Bird Box last night on NF. Beautiful PQ, but I've never seen Bullock's skin have so many blemishes before. She must have always been photographed with soft lenses, until this production with 4k Red lens cameras, eh? The movie itself was pretty pointless I thought. It never addressed what the threat was. It seems to me the only point was how much people depend on each other under duress for survival. Full 180 from say the Revenant which stressed individual perseverance under duress for survival.

edit: "a href" html doesn't work here? I tried with [ ] also but no joy.
mrpickem likes this.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 01-06-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #11215 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
No! That's not how interlacing works.
ps this post is now longer than I first intended but hope it explains my point better
I'm not sure what the OP meant but while ambiguous it's not uncommon to use FPS for progressive frames/second and interlaced fields/second -- context is supposed to disambiguate.
Historically in the US there were reasons to choose 720p over 1080i (540p+540P) but good cinematography helps with motion artifacts from low frame rates -- progressive (24 frames/sec) or interlaced (60 fields/sec -> 30 frames/sec). This was argued ad naseum circa 2009. We'll see if ATSC 3.0 puts this to bed for OTA content. Presumably not for this group since I don't believe the US x8 has an ATSC 3.0 tuner.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #11216 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 05:45 PM

I recently purchased the LG 820 Player (moved up from the Sony UBP-X80) and now see the DV flag come up along with the corresponding Picture Modes on the C8. Viewing DV and HDR content are there any must change setting in there picture mode? Or are the defaults recommended?

The reason I ask is the first 4K DV movie I played was Gladiator and it is disappointing. Everything four ground is very sharp and in focus, but everything background that is out of focus is very grainy. One example is when they first walk into the Colosseum there faces are very realistic and sharp, but the sky in the background is extremely grainy, not just out of focus. I tried changing setting in the 820 including turning off DV to avail. I don't remember Gladiator looking this poorly on the Sony Player/C8.

Then I put Jumanji 2017 DV and the PQ is fantastic throughout.

post #11217 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
I see posts here suggesting which settings to use when evaluating the C8 as Best Buy Magnolia.

When we were shopping (ultimately got the 65C8 from Best Buy), the Magnolia guy would not let us touch anything. According to him, the LG displays in Magnolia are "calibrated" by an LG representative, and it's a violation of Best Buy's contract with LG for anyone to touch them.

Was he BS-ing us?
yes. Magnolia guys by me let me mess with the settings
post #11218 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
the sky in the background is extremely grainy, not just out of focus.
[/LEFT]
I believe the graininess was intentional and was a 'style' of the era in certain movies. I remember complaining about it with my Kuro plasma.

You will find it in 300 also I believe

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ckelly33; 01-06-2019 at 06:35 PM.
post #11219 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it normal to have some moderate buzzing from behind the TV when content is playing? Can't hear it from the front.
55C8 as reference.
post #11220 of 22963 Old 01-06-2019, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked: 3245
Is there a signal strength meter or any way to qualify broadcast channels for signal strength on the C8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page