2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 375 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81131Likes

post #11221 of 22238 Old 01-06-2019, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTVs2019 View Post
Bought a 55" C8 about 6 weeks ago and I have about 300 hours on it. I ran a 5% and 20% gray uniformity tests, and the 5% looks particular bad. What does everyone think? Hard to get a photo that accurately captures it, but even my girlfriend pointed it out last night when watching GoT on blu-ray, "why does one side of the screen look way lighter than the other side?" Which means it must be bad! Haha.
I've owned my 55" C8 for about the same time as you, with 210 hours logged. I can see a very slight portion which is darker with a 5% image, but nothing like shown in your photos. After reading all the messages in this forum, it's unclear whet the chances are for getting an even screen, but I wouldn't find what is shown in your photos as acceptable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11222 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrold14 View Post
Wow, I wasnt expecting that answer. I thought maybe I did something. Before I posted the question i searched and could not find anything about this issue. I love this tv, but that dosent give me any faith in the longevity of this tv if A9 chip is getting bogged down on simple settings.
I wouldn't worry about it much. I had that exact same issue off and on for about 2 days back in August. None since. When the tv is on or in stand by sleeping, it is always doing something, even if it is not displaying. There are so many variables that can happen to cause this. If it doesn't happen often, don't worry about it and enjoy the bliss!
RBO likes this.
post #11223 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thoughts of this banding on 5% grey?
Basically hour 2 on the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	banding.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	2507104  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11224 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman35 View Post
To confirm, are most peoples C8 frames on this thread perfectly straight?

I searched the thread and almost no one has brought up this issue here. Some random ones for the older B7/C7 are the ones that come up most often.

I'd say my bottom frame bows in about 1/8" in the center. The top curves slightly as well, but not as much. The plastic screen reflections are wavy as a result of these I think.

On the fence on whether to exchange, picture quality is fine and vertical banding is acceptable. Worried about getting a worse panel, but perfect frame on the next one.

My 77c8 screen has the wavy reflection all along the bottom of the screen. It looks like the screen is pinched all along the bottom. I noticed the screen on the a9f and on the 77c8 st Best Buy have the same wavy reflection screen bends around the bottom edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #11225 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
IMHO.
It's way to early to make any decisions about the Display. I think at the least you need 100 hours and 200 being better for evaluation.

I must say that looks good to me for the first 2 hours, I have seen way worse that have worked itself out after time.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #11226 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post
I believe the graininess was intentional and was a 'style' of the era in certain movies. I remember complaining about it with my Kuro plasma.

You will find it in 300 also I believe

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It is, and I for one have never liked it.
ckelly33, calfcramp and bertk like this.

post #11227 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 6787 Post(s)
Liked: 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
I think because it's so thin other than the base and that they want you to lay it down and then lift it back up after you've attached the bass we were terrified stop bending the screen I'm so terrified of even wiping it with a microfiber anyting it's that thin but if it's just slightly mild event it's it's it's on this base for a while unless you've mounted it it'll probably find his bearings
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I still remember when the first LG OLEDs came out and the guy at BB fisted a panel and said it is flexible and versatile and one cannot do that with a plasma or LCD, so yes they can bend. With that said I am not going to that to my C8. You can try it in the store if you desire!
Oh, mine still has the bend, I am good, no need to fix whats not broken !
post #11228 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I thought people were also using the Lindy HDMI CEC-Less adapter to disable CEC from the ARC and resolve issues. Or is that for a different problem?
Contacted LG support who suggested using the optical hookup as there are no more open HDMI ports on my Onkyo TX-SR605 for the audio hook up. The optical cable will be connected to the optical 1 TV/Game port on the AV receiver
I have the Harmony One remote control, which I will set up when the optical cable arrivers
post #11229 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I really hope we get Airplay 2 in a FW update.

Have a question? AIM me: supremeMilo
post #11230 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2160 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Doesn't everyone already use an Apple TV anyway? It's the best streaming device out there.
avkv and smurraybhm like this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
post #11231 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5080 Post(s)
Liked: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Is there a signal strength meter or any way to qualify broadcast channels for signal strength on the C8?
That's a really good question! There's not one that I can find when you are viewing a channel normally.

You don't say which service - satellite, cable or terrestrial - and there may be some differences between USA/EU models. But for satellite see below.

However I've found signal meters in the tuning settings.

In programmes -> programme tuning and settings -> (set to Programme Mode: Satellite) -> Satellite Settings (for UK Sky) and add Astra 28.2E. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to see 28.2E from where you are (LOL!) but the same principle applies.
Select it and you get this screen which has signal strength and quality (which I hope is BER value) readings:

Next, in the Manual Tuning section you can select individual transponders, and get the readings for that individual transponder.

When you click "add" with network search on it does a bunch of stuff:

HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuning 1-sm.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	2507262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuning 2-sm.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	2507264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuning 3-sm.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	2507266  

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #11232 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Doesn't everyone already use an Apple TV anyway? It's the best streaming device out there.
That's what I use. I have found that after time the manufactures no longer support the firmware updates for older model Displays, but the better standalone streamers do. i.e. Apple Tv, Roku, Firestick, and others. I find it awfully easy to just hook my current streamer to the new Display and get on about it.

post #11233 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't do streaming, unless the content isn't available elsewhere. I sit near a huge backlog of discs on the shelf waiting to be watched and listened to in superior quality. If I valued convenience over quality, I wouldn't have spent so much money on this brilliant TV would I! I could have got something much cheaper.
RBO, calfcramp and bertk like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #11234 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 12:04 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post
My 77c8 screen has the wavy reflection all along the bottom of the screen. It looks like the screen is pinched all along the bottom. I noticed the screen on the a9f and on the 77c8 st Best Buy have the same wavy reflection screen bends around the bottom edge.

My 65C8 has similar issue. Some reflection distortion along the bottom edge, and then a small spot in the very upper left hand corner, as if the corner had been slightly bent. When installing, I was careful to use the foam blocks to handle the upper edge, so I'm pretty sure I didn't do that, and the distortions lower down are in the area ofd the screen that's well supported by the electronics packaging. It wasn't noticeable before I pulled off the plastic protective film. I went back and looked at display models in stores, and they all have a little distortion of this nature. I can't see any geometric distortion in displayed images, but it bugs me anyway, just knowing it's there. That being said, it seems to be the nature of the beast, and returning it may not result in any noticeable improvement.

On another note, tempting as it may be to use the magic mouse to entertain your cat, do not do this. The plastic surface of the screen is softer that a cat's claws.
iChristopher and mrtickleuk like this.
post #11235 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Knutson View Post
On another note, tempting as it may be to use the magic mouse to entertain your cat, do not do this. The plastic surface of the screen is softer that a cat's claws.
oops.

Maybe a LASER pointer on a garden fence panel would be cheaper... ta for the warning.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 01-07-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #11236 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
That's a really good question! There's not one that I can find when you are viewing a channel normally.

You don't say which service - satellite, cable or terrestrial - and there may be some differences between USA/EU models. But for satellite see below.

However I've found signal meters in the tuning settings.

In programmes -> programme tuning and settings -> (set to Programme Mode: Satellite) -> Satellite Settings (for UK Sky) and add Astra 28.2E. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to see 28.2E from where you are (LOL!) but the same principle applies.
Select it and you get this screen which has signal strength and quality (which I hope is BER value) readings:

Next, in the Manual Tuning section you can select individual transponders, and get the readings for that individual transponder.

When you click "add" with network search on it does a bunch of stuff:

HTH

I don't know if it is applicable to the C8's or not but on older, LCD LG's, there was remote key combination that got into a menu that was NOT the service menu which displayed a lot of information about the OTA data stream that was a bit more detailed (and probably more accurate) than the signal strength/quality displayed on the channel info menu. We had OTA television only for years (using the LG LCD downstairs) and found the menu was quite informative when troubleshooting OTA reception issues (which we rarely had). However, now that we have cable in our new home (OTA reception is just not possible) I haven't been too keen on exploring different remote key combinations on the C8. That might be a question for support or for a braver soul than me
mrtickleuk likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #11237 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I don't know if it is applicable to the C8's or not but on older, LCD LG's, there was remote key combination that got into a menu that was NOT the service menu which displayed a lot of information about the OTA data stream that was a bit more detailed (and probably more accurate) than the signal strength/quality displayed on the channel info menu. We had OTA television only for years (using the LG LCD downstairs) and found the menu was quite informative when troubleshooting OTA reception issues (which we rarely had). However, now that we have cable in our new home (OTA reception is just not possible) I haven't been too keen on exploring different remote key combinations on the C8. That might be a question for support or for a braver soul than me
Very interesting, but you keep using the term OTA without clarifying whether your mean satellite (through a dish) or terrestrial (through an aerial/antenna). Argh! Please clarify which one

I actually have the service remote. The only key combination I know of for normal remotes is mute-mute-mute. I'd love to see this hidden signal info screen if it's there.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 01-07-2019 at 12:41 PM.
post #11238 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked: 3141
Quote:

HTH
Well I did say "broadcast channels". Not cable or sat - broadcast. That's terrestrial. No signal strength meter at all that I can see. I guess LG figures that nobody should ever need to aim an antenna.
post #11239 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
oops.
Quote:

Maybe a LASER pointer on a garden fence panel would be cheaper... ta for the warning.

Fortunately, it's just one tiny dot that's invisible from more than a few inches away with the set off, and completely invisible when content is being displayed. A lesson was learned by myself, if not the cat.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #11240 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Nope. The ATV doesn't do bitstream audio and the Siri remote has got to be the single worst remote for any device that I have ever had the misfortune of using. More than that, even if you use a "standard" remote, the controls are so gimped that you can't map buttons to things like adjusting the audio delay or even just showing OSD info. The ATV is a complete and total non-starter for people who have complex setups, refuse to have more than one remote, hate the Siri remote, and/or want to go beyond the stock abilities even a tiny bit.
post #11241 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Very interesting, but you keep using the term OTA without clarifying whether your mean satellite (through a dish) or terrestrial (through an aerial/antenna). Argh! Please clarify which one

I actually have the service remote. The only key combination I know of for normal remotes is mute-mute-mute. I'd love to see this hidden signal info screen if it's there.
Sorry about that! I'm old school so when I refer to OTA (Over The Air) I mean a terrestrial antenna, either roof top or attic space. When I use satellite I am referring to a satellite dish and of course cable can be cable and/or fiber. Clear as mud?

I never had a service remote for the LG LCD downstairs. I don't want one because I'm afraid curiosity will get the best of me and I'll start playing around. No bueno. I just used the LG remote when I was checking terrestrial OTA reception.
11thunder07 likes this.

post #11242 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogems1 View Post
Nope. The ATV doesn't do bitstream audio and the Siri remote has got to be the single worst remote for any device that I have ever had the misfortune of using. More than that, even if you use a "standard" remote, the controls are so gimped that you can't map buttons to things like adjusting the audio delay or even just showing OSD info. The ATV is a complete and total non-starter for people who have complex setups, refuse to have more than one remote, hate the Siri remote, and/or want to go beyond the stock abilities even a tiny bit.
It's unfortunate you don't have an opinion on the ATV The ATV4k works extremely well in my setup but I agree, I don't bother with the remote. Voice commands are not my thing. I just use a Harmony remote and find that I can get all the info and control I need from my system with that.
I WANT MORE likes this.

post #11243 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 01:29 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrold14 View Post
Wow, I wasnt expecting that answer. I thought maybe I did something. Before I posted the question i searched and could not find anything about this issue. I love this tv, but that dosent give me any faith in the longevity of this tv if A9 chip is getting bogged down on simple settings.

Well, I'm sure mrtickleuk has even seen a jam up or two now and then in a roundabout on the A9.

I have installed jam proof toilets with 4" pipes in my house that only an hour ago I managed to clog up for the first time. S--- happens.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #11244 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Just curious on something that is not a big issue with the C8/E8. I have an E8 that is just two weeks old. Had one in the summer that developed jail bars and circles that were easily visible in all content. LG refunded me and I went to try the Panasonic OLED. After discovering the Panasonic does not work for my setup (tinting on the sides of the screen with off angle viewing) I have gone back to the E8.

I have noticed that now if I start up an external input, like PS4, I get a message in the top left corner that says that input is available. Back in the summer when I had it, I would get a pop up in the middle of the screen showing it was available and I just had to press OK and it switched. Did LG change this option in one of the firmware upgrades or is there something I am missing?
post #11245 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Did you set brightness level first using a black level pattern ? Also, are you in HDR or SDR ? You might be able to clean up the banding by lowering brightness, but it might not be the correct brightness setting. Lastly, the full screen gray pattern is not realistic. If you up a 10% window, do you still see banding ?

Sean
post #11246 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I don't do streaming, unless the content isn't available elsewhere. I sit near a huge backlog of discs on the shelf waiting to be watched and listened to in superior quality. If I valued convenience over quality, I wouldn't have spent so much money on this brilliant TV would I! I could have got something much cheaper.
I get ya. My wife how ever likes simplicity, and as long as she can operate it, I can own it. She loves Apple TV and I am not always doing a training seminar with a less than cooperative student.
It's her go to device and since I have been adding the Movies to the iTunes account which all are available at the push of a Button, she loves it more and is kinda getting into it.
I do prefer the raw 4K delivery thru my Oppo though, when I get the chance.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by Glenee; 01-07-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #11247 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Well I did say "broadcast channels". Not cable or sat - broadcast. That's terrestrial. No signal strength meter at all that I can see. I guess LG figures that nobody should ever need to aim an antenna.
I see. Language barrier problem, then! . Over here in the UK a "broadcast" is the umbrella term which can refer to satellite, terrestrial or cable. (Some UKers are saying that on-demand internet catch-up streams are "broadcasts" too but I resist this usage).

I wonder if we can find the screen that @Otto Pylot mentioned. If it's available to be called up, we should try it from both sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogems1 View Post
The ATV is a complete and total non-starter for people who have complex setups, refuse to have more than one remote, hate the Siri remote, and/or want to go beyond the stock abilities even a tiny bit.
Ha. I think you've described every Apple product, especially the last bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
Well, I'm sure mrtickleuk has even seen a jam up or two now and then in a roundabout on the A9.
LOL. Nice knowledge there, but the A9 is in Scotland 300 miles north of here! Never been that far up

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 01-07-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #11248 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Would really be a slap in the face if LG adds some of the software features to the new X9 models and not as an update to the X8 - Airplay 2, Calibration patterns, etc.
post #11249 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
no,
jboileau and Tool Belt like this.
post #11250 of 22238 Old 01-07-2019, 03:15 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
LOL. Nice knowledge there, but the A9 is in Scotland 300 miles north of here! Never been that far up

WUT??? Holy ****e, man, you've gotta put down that remote and get out more! I've been from the White Cliffs to Inverness and all around the North Sea and Wales. Lived 3 years near York playing Rugby Union. You've got a beautiful country not to be missed.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page