2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 377 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81276Likes

post #11281 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
Same here, but maybe like @mrtickleuk , my unwatched disks are starting to get out of hand.
Yes, and your possessions look well protected.
Mine Too.
RBO and calfcramp like this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11282 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4t3r View Post
Considering going back to satellite/cable for this reason. The ESPN feed on DTVNow is terrible, especially for this game, while the ESPN app which is usually wholly unreliable has been excellent tonight. I did try Xfinity for cable TV briefly a few years ago and remember the quality not being great then either.
Really? That sucks. I having been contemplating moving from FIOS to DTVNow or YoutubeTV to save some money. The consensus, from what I have read, is that PQ is channel specific. Some channels just look better/worse than others.

I watched the game using the ESPN app too and it was lovely. That will be a fall back option.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #11283 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Doesn't everyone already use an Apple TV anyway? It's the best streaming device out there.
Just don't like the taste of their Kool-Aid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11284 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 146
So. . . as others have already said. . . firmware fix for macroblocking/flashing blacks/chrominence overshoot is reportedly coming.

But likely not before my 90-day return policy expires.

Decisions to make regarding trust (in LG), whether HDMI 2.1 and eARC are worth the hassle of a return (and possibly more in the future if next one is a dud). Etc.

I feel like I got a good panel right out of the gate here, flashing black issue aside.

*sigh*

(sorry, just journaling here! )
cartload and Dreamer2018 like this.
post #11285 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
So. . . as others have already said. . . firmware fix for macroblocking/flashing blacks/chrominence overshoot is reportedly coming.

Decisions to make regarding trust (in LG), whether HDMI 2.1 and eARC are worth the hassle of a return (and possibly more in the future if next one is a dud). Etc.

I feel like I got a good panel right out of the gate here, flashing black issue aside.

*sigh*

We're in the same boat (the exception being that my return window closes on 1/31). The easiest thing for me would be to trust LG. I am satisfied with all other aspects of the TV.
post #11286 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
so who uses DYNAMIC TONE MAPPING and who doesnt?

i cant make up my mind lol feel like DTM is good for movies but for games OFF provides more consistent look at the cost of more brightness
I like DTM on. Others don't. It's a very personal decision, like ketchup vs. mustard on a hot dog (mustard, obviously).
smitty, calfcramp and MikeBiker like this.
post #11287 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Well well well. Samsung is adding Airplay to 2018 models and Vizio is adding it back to 2017. Definitely makes LG and Sony look bad but I doubt it will change anything.
post #11288 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Liked: 6835
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post
Lol! Well wave back! Just boxed up my 77c8, back to the drawing board :/
Guess so, problem is nothing is as good, only sets that can even comp[are are the Q9FN, Z9D, Z9F. That's the only choices we got.
post #11289 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Really? That sucks. I having been contemplating moving from FIOS to DTVNow or YoutubeTV to save some money. The consensus, from what I have read, is that PQ is channel specific. Some channels just look better/worse than others.

I watched the game using the ESPN app too and it was lovely. That will be a fall back option.
Channel-specific is exactly right. Most of them with DTV Now seem to be ok although I have noticed sports feeds being hit or miss lately, but that again just may be the affiliate or something for that specific event. The Wildcard games over the weekend, for example, weren't great. A few channels seem to have some weird artifacting/coloration issues with HBO being one that exhibits some sort of gamma shifting which I've seen for quite some time. There has also been no shortage of intermittent issues with connectivity to certain channels, audio dropping out for extended periods of time, etc. So far I've used PS Vue (better but cost more after they raised prices) and DTV Now for more than a couple months, but I would definitely recommend utilizing the free trials before leaving what you are on. DTV Now is still very tough to beat if you're an ATT customer as it only costs me $15 monthly for the lowest package which still has a ton of channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Guess so, problem is nothing is as good, only sets that can even comp[are are the Q9FN, Z9D, Z9F. That's the only choices we got.
Indeed. If set on returning the 77C8, can still get a 75Z9D before they're gone for a few hundred less than the C8.
PlasmaHiDef likes this.

Last edited by t4t3r; 01-08-2019 at 09:48 AM.
post #11290 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post

For although I use YouTube TV is the best because you'll get all your local channels and their DVR is psychotic in an awesome way. The only problem is that it is missing A and E which is the most chunky network of all when you need it to fall asleep like Storage Wars or they actually produced good things like the Clinton affair but that and not have any NFL Network or Red Zone which I am pretty positive they will have next year there's no point in having it at this point in the season if you watch football YouTube TV really is better. That said it's also true that subshells in every service even if there be broadcast in Dolby Digital for example might not have anything but a stereo mix in it and if you are streaming device or sound system can up fix it then that's awesome but definitely a local channels and most basic channels you're going to get exactly what you're going to get from over the air well olives for over the air or exactly what you get from your cable provider or better. I've tried almost all the streaming services the only other one but it's too much of a pain in the ass into expensive is PS Vue go for YouTube TV and that if you find yourself missing one channel somewhere just said the lack of plate they keep adding channels all the time with no fee increase

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

post #11291 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 10:29 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
Yes, and your possessions look well protected.
Mine Too.

You betcha. I keep the spares in my junk room. Wasn't thinking about the background when taking the shot though...doh!
Glenee, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #11292 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 10:48 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
I can't believe I did something like THAT. Breaking off the tip in the stupid RCA and cannot get it out. If anyone as some extra special sauce trick before I try to replace the RCA female, oh god, please see this and help.

yikes Can you unscrew the back panel of the speaker box? Maybe the RCA jack is accessible from inside the speaker. If the female jack is just a hollow insertion plug with wires soldered to it you could perhaps push out the broken off RCA male pin with an icepick or coathanger??

Here is a link with some other suggestions. https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...oken-rca-input

hth
calfcramp likes this.

Russ (another one)

post #11293 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Sad to see LG didn't plan to upgrade 2018 TV with airplay.

I currently use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rain.airplayer to make Shiled as airplay receiver,
Hope someone can extract airplay app from 2019's Sony TV or Apple just release it to Play Store #dreaming
post #11294 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
yikes Can you unscrew the back panel of the speaker box? Maybe the RCA jack is accessible from inside the speaker. If the female jack is just a hollow insertion plug with wires soldered to it you could perhaps push out the broken off RCA male pin with an icepick or coathanger??

Here is a link with some other suggestions. https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...oken-rca-input

hth
See that sounds insane there's no more insane than heating up an element and tried to drag it out to the front audio is a various easiest things. I'm only asking if anyone knows cuz they've already screwed off their back if that's the scenario cuz I dont want to touch everything unless I have enough information because wipe off the back if it turns out it's like on a motherboard situationz I don't think it is because it's pure audio BUT, I don't know and I don't know how to solder things which is been like a problem at least 30 times in my life so I guess I should learn.

I just bought this. Stupid me not wirevmanaging but I was still deciding and STILL am about the diagram naka shows or a sub diagonal where no one steps in this like I did, but no one has come back in on that yet.

Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited by starrfighter; 01-08-2019 at 11:06 AM.
post #11295 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
-snip
I can't believe I did something like THAT. Breaking off the tip in the stupid RCA and cannot get it out. If anyone as some extra special sauce trick before I try to replace the RCA female, oh god, please see this and help.

Needle nose pliers?
Glenee likes this.
post #11296 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5175 Post(s)
Liked: 7496
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I found it, but its almost impossible to use.
You have to go into "Manual Channel" setup, where each channel has a "signal strength" and "signal quality". I have no idea what "Signal Quality" is supposed to mean, probably just that the tuner is able to lock and decode. You can see a 60% strength with 100% quality.
the trick here is that the channels are not displayed according to their broadcast channel number. They appear to be listed according to their UHF number. so to find the channels you receive you have to sort through 68 channels looking for them. Anyway it does work.
Yep - see my post yesterday with pictures of those screens, on the previous page.

Signal strength is a measure of the amplitude of the signal effectively. if it was a TV picture, it would be just in raw terms how "bright" it is.

Signal quality is the one you really care about. If it was a TV picture, the Quality would be how "clear" it is.

Quality is aka the Bit Error Rate (BER). After decoding, if there were errors that needed to be corrected (using the redundant and extra copies of the data in the stream - this is built in, much like the error correction in ISO 9660 CDs), it is a count of "how hard" it had to work to recover the signal. As it's a black box it could be the BER either before or after the signal is unpacked - there are different places in the chain that error correction can happen. So without knowing which level it's measuring it's hard to say - but it at least gives an indication.

So, Quality = 100% means it's perfect. Quality = 90% means some errors, but ok. The higher, the more "headroom" you have. You can do the "wet tea towel" test - literally put a wet thin towel over the dish or antenna/aerial which will attenuate the strength of the received signal, and increase the number of errors. The idea is that you simulate "bad conditions" this way (eg aligning a satellite dish) so that the fine adjustments get the best possible signal when it's dropping in and out with small movements. But If you had a booming strong signal that's clear as day, you can't tell which position is the "best" to give you the most headroom in bad conditions.

Over a certain strength it doesn't matter. In many cases you could point a satellite dish at the ground and it would say 100% strength. It's Quality is the one you care about. Below 90% needs fixing (you will have problems in heavy rain if it's satellite).

Quote:
Argh, oh man. Well at least you're on the right website for help - maybe not this thread, but do post over on the AVR threads and someone there may have a clever way to do it.

@RBO - wow I thought my backlog was bad. I'm trying to see which of those is your most embarrassing title?

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 01-08-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #11297 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So sorry if this has already been addressed. New user here.

I just bought the 2018 LG 55" C8 last week and calibrated based on the advice of several websites/forums. My issue now is that when watching TV via Rogers cable... the picture is terrible regardless of channel (4k looks HD at best, and HD channels look SD). Is this something that's come up before? Is there any solution? Are the channels not upscaling well? Is Rogers just providing a low quality feed (Rogers technician came and gave our connection the OK). Output on the rogers 4k cable box is set to either Auto or ultra HD - with no noticeable difference in picture quality between the two.

Long story short - does anyone else have this issue of 4k and HD Rogers cable content looking very soft/not as sharp as it aught to be? My 10 year old HD Samsung 40" 6 series has a better HD picture than this new set (granted its a much smaller screen).

Any recommendations? Would a Sony or Samsung set handle this issue any better? Is this something that all new 4k or OLED tv's have a problem with?
post #11298 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 11:50 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
@RBO - wow I thought my backlog was bad. I'm trying to see which of those is your most embarrassing title?

Well, keep searching, but all of my Vinegar Syndrome titles are among the watched disks.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)

post #11299 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupTO View Post
So sorry if this has already been addressed. New user here.

I just bought the 2018 LG 55" C8 last week and calibrated based on the advice of several websites/forums. My issue now is that when watching TV via Rogers cable... the picture is terrible regardless of channel (4k looks HD at best, and HD channels look SD). Is this something that's come up before? Is there any solution? Are the channels not upscaling well? Is Rogers just providing a low quality feed (Rogers technician came and gave our connection the OK). Output on the rogers 4k cable box is set to either Auto or ultra HD - with no noticeable difference in picture quality between the two.

Long story short - does anyone else have this issue of 4k and HD Rogers cable content looking very soft/not as sharp as it aught to be? My 10 year old HD Samsung 40" 6 series has a better HD picture than this new set (granted its a much smaller screen).

Any recommendations? Would a Sony or Samsung set handle this issue any better? Is this something that all new 4k or OLED tv's have a problem with?
It's most likely your signal from Rogers. Even though Rogers can handle HD & 4K, very few networks offer their signal in high quality formats.

Upscaling can only make a non 4k signal look so good. If you have any way to make sure a signal is 4K or 1080p from Rogers then base it off that but again I doubt you will find much.

Your best bet is to use a 4k Blu-ray or Netflix, YouTube and such and check their HD / 4K / UHD offerings and see the quality

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #11300 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
It's most likely your signal from Rogers. Even though Rogers can handle HD & 4K, very few networks offer their signal in high quality formats.

Upscaling can only make a non 4k signal look so good. If you have any way to make sure a signal is 4K or 1080p from Rogers then base it off that but again I doubt you will find much.

Your best bet is to use a 4k Blu-ray or Netflix, YouTube and such and check their HD / 4K / UHD offerings and see the quality

-

Thank you for the quick reply! The tv apps, both youtube and Netflix look incredible when viewing 4k footage - so it must be the Rogers signal. The HD Rogers channels are so blurry its difficult to watch unless i'm a good 15 feet away. Are there any new TVs that can make an HD channel watchable - as I'm considering returning the unit based on this fact alone.
post #11301 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
-

Thank you for the quick reply! The tv apps, both youtube and Netflix look incredible when viewing 4k footage - so it must be the Rogers signal. The HD Rogers channels are so blurry its difficult to watch unless i'm a good 15 feet away. Are there any new TVs that can make an HD channel watchable - as I'm considering returning the unit based on this fact alone.
There really is no way to make it look better. No tv is gonna do that great with a weak signal. Any brand and model is gonna produce the same results

Jbhur212 likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #11302 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
If the broken connector part is not filled, which it is not normally, you can try using a small screw in its center, preferably a small wood screw since it has a pointed tip. You screw it in gently until catches a few threads well and then pull it off using pliers. Good luck!

Last edited by jboileau; 01-08-2019 at 01:25 PM.
post #11303 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, keep searching, but all of my Vinegar Syndrome titles are among the watched disks.
Do you use the blu-ray.com app? I can't recommend it enough. You just scan the barcode of each disc, and as long as they are in the Db (most are, if not they are quite easy to add) it's done. Then you can do loads of really cool things with the data. Also share collections (if you want to) eg here's mine
RBO, calfcramp and escu like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #11304 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
You have to go into "Manual Channel" setup, where each channel has a "signal strength" and "signal quality". I have no idea what "Signal Quality" is supposed to mean, probably just that the tuner is able to lock and decode. You can see a 60% strength with 100% quality.
the trick here is that the channels are not displayed according to their broadcast channel number. They appear to be listed according to their UHF number. so to find the channels you receive you have to sort through 68 channels looking for them. Anyway it does work.
There's also a quick-and-dirty-and-not-quite-useless indicator right next to the channel once it's been autodetected and you're watching it: a little TV tower icon with one, two, or three radiating arcs indicating signal strength. I found it helpful for final positioning tweaks.
post #11305 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post

*sigh*

"Since the firmware update relates to the TVs’ picture quality, it will have to go through an especially stringent testing process before rolling out to TVs. LG estimates that this could take as much as three or four months." OMG
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

TV : LG OLED 65C8 [U]
post #11306 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardo View Post
There's also a quick-and-dirty-and-not-quite-useless indicator right next to the channel once it's been autodetected and you're watching it: a little TV tower icon with one, two, or three radiating arcs indicating signal strength. I found it helpful for final positioning tweaks.
Aha! This little thing (yellow arrowed)? I've only seen it looking like this. That's really cool, thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SignalStrengthTower.png
Views:	242
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	2507804  

post #11307 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

I was in the same situation as you but with Time warner/Spectrum. If your watching the tvs native apps and 4K the OLED looked great but for cable tv which is what I watch a good amount of I found it to be almost unwatchable to my eyes compared to the tv I was replacing (2016 Samsung KS8000) which looked great for cable and all sources in general. I really wanted to love the OLED and I even tried to force my self to get used to the picture. I held on to it for close to 45 days which was my return limit. In the end I went back to Samsung and bought the Q8FN and I’m much happier with the picture.

At the end of the day no tv is perfect you just have to go with the one that best suits your needs.

Quote:
-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11308 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 02:52 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Do you use the blu-ray.com app? I can't recommend it enough. You just scan the barcode of each disc, and as long as they are in the Db (most are, if not they are quite easy to add) it's done. Then you can do loads of really cool things with the data. Also share collections (if you want to) eg here's mine

Nice, but sorry. I'm on Blu-ray.com every day multiple times a day checking for reviews. Wish I could reciprocate however I use iPhone Apple apps not Android or Google. I keep a collection database with Bruji 's DVDpedia app. Cheers.

Russ (another one)

post #11309 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardo View Post
I've got 4 arcs on a couple channels, I must be special. 3 arcs seems to translate to about 70% signal strength.
post #11310 of 22457 Old 01-08-2019, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3565 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:

This is probably not very useful, or maybe even available on the C8 but on the old LG LD520 (my downstairs LCD tv and old HTS) you could get into the Host Diagnostics Menu (which is NOT in the SM so safe to enter) by clicking on Menu, clicking an option, then scroll down the vertical menu to Options, and press the number 1, five times. The Host Diagnostics screen appears that would display model number, compile date, software version, and some useful channel data, among other things. It worked great for OTA television (antenna) but doesn't report any information for cable. The normal Channel Guide would give signal strength and signal quality.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page