2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 379 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81282Likes

post #11341 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 2569
HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI inputs.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11342 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5186 Post(s)
Liked: 7503
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWhat? View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I have to agree with not making the guy wait, I guess my question wasn't reasonable in the first place. I wasn't going to install the stand, just fire it up standing on edge, but even that would take some time. When fed ex delivers, it's just one guy and he's always in a hurry. If the box looks too beat up, maybe I can get the panel exposed quick enough to check for obvious damage. (I realize it's double boxed) With any luck, everything will be fine.
Agreed. It should be fine. There was someone either here or on AVforums the other day who had a very badly damaged set - but the box was wrecked and a family member had signed for it while he was out. Aim for a perfect box. If there is, say, a corner squashed, there should be time to quickly check the contents - normally it will be a shock that's been absorbed by the polystyrene foam blocks (that's what they are designed to do!) and the precious cargo in the "sandwich" is fine.

But if you have a perfect box, then I certainly agree - sign, thank him and send him on his way. He's got a schedule to keep.

TIP: the box is a 4-sided tube. All you need to do is cut the two straps, and then the cardboard outer tube lifts UP, leaving the inside part standing on its own. You don't need to lift the TV up out of the box, which would be difficult and very hard work.

See:

NB: They get the cardboard bit right, but they do everything else wrong in the video. The easiest way to do it is as in the instructions (on a piece of paper at the top of the box!). These tell you to tip the TV on its front, supported by the foam (don't chuck it aside like they did!), and then screw the stand on, then tip if back upright, and it's done. These guys make it harder.
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 01-09-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #11343 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Agreed. It should be fine. There was someone either here or on AVforums the other day who had a very badly damaged set - but the box was wrecked and a family member had signed for it while he was out. Aim for a perfect box. If there is, say, a corner squashed, there should be time to quickly check the contents - normally it will be a shock that's been absorbed by the polystyrene foam blocks (that's what they are designed to do!) and the precious cargo in the "sandwich" is fine.

But if you have a perfect box, then I certainly agree - sign, thank him and send him on his way. He's got a schedule to keep.

TIP: the box is a 4-sided tube. All you need to do is cut the two straps, and then the cardboard outer tube lifts UP, leaving the inside part standing on its own. You don't need to lift the TV up out of the box, which would be difficult and very hard work.

NB: They get the cardboard bit right, but they do everything else wrong in the video. The easiest way to do it is as in the instructions (on a piece of paper at the top of the box!). These tell you to tip the TV on its front, supported by the foam (don't chuck it aside like they did!), and then screw the stand on, then tip if back upright, and it's done. These guys make it harder.
My E8 was delivered by FedEx. The outer shipping carton did not have any indication which side was up. The box was in perfect shape as was the inner printed carton. This carton was actually "suspended" inside the outer carton by the use of 4 thick "L" shape closed cell foam pieces at each corner.

The actual unboxing was very easy. I was impressed by the time the packaging engineers put into this. Cut the straps. Lift the carton off. Everything else went per the instructions. Only needed help to lift onto console and I maybe could have done it by myself but was super paranoid and treated the TV like a Faberge Egg.
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11344 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 12:27 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Rebel View Post
My E8 was delivered... Only needed help to lift onto console and I maybe could have done it by myself but was super paranoid and treated the TV like a Faberge Egg.

Probably a good precaution. But does it power on?

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #11345 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 6843 Post(s)
Liked: 6840
post #11346 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Strange quandary I have and open to suggestions...

The gal and I are thankfully moving into a new home sooner than expected. It was supposed to be next year, but we were able to save faster and the owners accepted our offer here in Colorado (which is basically Battle Royale on the front lawn the minute houses are put on the market, so a minor miracle we even got it).

So, with that said, we have enough set aside for the 77” or possibly even the new 88” after checking our post-home-budget when prices are released...then again, maybe not haha.

I bought the 65” C8 about 2.5 months ago - I also game a fair amount so the new C9 really speaks to me....

I’m now outside of the return window...but I know I’ll be bummed if I stick with the 65” C8 knowing I can have a 77” or maybe even the 88” that fills the room better.

First World Problems. Amirite?

Just wanting suggestions!
ma1746 likes this.

Last edited by Markalark; 01-09-2019 at 03:06 PM.
post #11347 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markalark View Post

The gal and I are thankfully moving into a new home sooner than expected. It was supposed to be next year, but we were able to save faster and the owners accepted our offer here in Colorado (which is basically Battle Royale on the front lawn the minute houses are put on the market, so a minor miracle we even got it).

So, with that said, we have enough set aside for the 77” or possibly even the new 88” after checking our post-home-budget when prices are released...then again, maybe not haha.

I bought the 65” C8 about 2.5 months ago - I also game a fair amount so the new C9 really speaks to me....

I’m now outside of the return window...but I know I’ll be bummed if I stick with the 65” C8 knowing I can have a 77” or maybe even the 88” that fills the room better.

What's the question? You said you're outside of the return window for existing TV. Are you asking if you should sell your existing one? Get a second one when the 2019 models are released?
post #11348 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
What's the question? You said you're outside of the return window for existing TV. Are you asking if you should sell your existing one? Get a second one when the 2019 models are released?

More so looking for suggestions as stated in my original post. Maybe others have found themselves in a quandary similar to mine and have opinions to give?
post #11349 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5186 Post(s)
Liked: 7503
Quote:

You may have a "post-home budget" but trust me, there are a LOT of unexpected things you will need the money for over the first few years after you move in which are not in that budget

My suggestion is you have a brand new TV which is great. Enjoy it and keep it.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #11350 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
You may have a "post-home budget" but trust me, there are a LOT of unexpected things you will need the money for over the first few years after you move in which are not in that budget

Thanks mrtickle. Appreciate the advice and that is, of course, what a few people have advised. I love the C8 and am stoked with my purchase & you're probably right - despite the fact that I think I have x amount for the budget - it's a home - something ALWAYS comes up haha. Thanks again, bud. Just was spit ballin my scenario!
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by Markalark; 01-09-2019 at 04:00 PM.
post #11351 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Thanks mrtickle. Appreciate the advice and that is, of course, what a few people have advised. I love the C8 and am stoked with my purchase & you're probably right - despite the fact that I think I have x amount for the budget - it's a home - something ALWAYS comes up haha. Thanks again, bud. Just was spit ballin my scenario!
I'm not sure your case is all that unique. You just happen to have a lump sum of money lying around. We bought our first home last year and I too almost went OLED at the time while money was flying out the door for remodeling, drainage issues in the backyard, etc. Once you start spending, sometimes it starts getting too easy.

But, in a nutshell, you're in the same boat with everyone else. You've got a great TV. . . but better is always around the corner. So the same old factors still apply. . . new tech lust affects us all according to our nature.

How far away from your TV will you be sitting in your new place? That would be just about the only objective factor to consider when debating the move from 65" to 77 or higher.

--H
calfcramp likes this.
post #11352 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Probably no hope, but any chance now of LG seperating smooth gradation feature and mpeg now the 2019s do it?
post #11353 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Hello, I’m very much enjoying the absolutely stunning C8 and just have a few questions I’m wanting opinions on to have the best viewing experience as well as treating this beauty as well as I possibly can. I thank you so very very much in advance for any and all opinions/responses!

C8 Dolby Vision/HDR Settings

I see with the E8 rtings.com updated to include the best mode is Cinema (with warm 1?..) and not technicolor and home cinema as is listed with the C8. Many others declare cinema to be the best for pitch black room viewing and home cinema with brighter rooms. Am just wondering what your stance with the C8 being that E8 settings seem to be more popular and apply to the C8 as well now? I know this is matter of strong opinion.. just looking forward to hearing reasoning behind your choice.

Gamma Opinion

With many professionals now having various opinions of content being mastered more for bt.1886/2.4 are you more firm on 2.2 being the correct reference for SDR material as does some professionals as well as rtings.com? I know there are so many opinions on this but am looking forward to more and in depth reasoning. I watch in a pitch black room. On my old tv I was able to set gamma to 2.3 which I felt was perfect. However, I’m struggling having to go with either losing some detail and some black crush of course with 2.4 vs colors not being as vibrant and realistic and sometimes overly bright losing details as well but not quite as much it seems with 2.2. I know this is mainly completely opinion... I wish there was a firm set reference so so badly. Am looking forward to opinions on your usage.

Power Saving: Screen Off

I’m using this feature quite a bit on my C8 and I’m wondering if there’s any harm that can come from that? Such as a fluctuation in the power so often not being so good? Can this wear out the power of tv somehow or something or cause anything negative? Am doing my best to prevent burn in when needing to pause for extended periods of time which is quite often for me. Am wondering if it’s better on the tv to go to the home button and let the fireworks display ( the same spots though so I would think with time this would easily cause burn in as well..?) or use the screen off feature. I’m looking for which is least hard on the TV. Thanks very much in advance so I can be as good to my tv as possible!
post #11354 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 290
As to the Fedex delivery question, I remember reading recently that Fedex has a short window (a few days) guarantee to examine for hidden damage. If true, that compensates for their not waiting around while you inspect.
post #11355 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Rebel View Post
My E8 was delivered by FedEx. The outer shipping carton did not have any indication which side was up. The box was in perfect shape as was the inner printed carton. This carton was actually "suspended" inside the outer carton by the use of 4 thick "L" shape closed cell foam pieces at each corner.

The actual unboxing was very easy. I was impressed by the time the packaging engineers put into this. Cut the straps. Lift the carton off. Everything else went per the instructions. Only needed help to lift onto console and I maybe could have done it by myself but was super paranoid and treated the TV like a Faberge Egg.

What size? I unpacked, put on its stand and set it on my console myself a couple weeks back, a 77C8 after moving and packing up the 65C6. No time to wait for help and the wife was surprised when she got home and the 77 was setup.

HT: (7.4.4) - Yamaha CX-A5200 - Yamaha MX-A5200 - (6) Klipsch RP-250F (front, side, rear) - Klipsch RP-504C (center) - (4) SVS Prime Elevation (front/rear Atmos) - (4) Klipsch R110SW (front/rear left/right subs) - LG OLED 77C8P - Oppo UDP-203
Living: LG OLED 55C7P - Oppo UDP-203 - Yamaha YSP-5600 - Yamaha SW300B - Sony PS4Pro
Gameroom: LG OLED 55B6P - Sony PS4Pro - Sony HT-ST7
post #11356 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

WUT?? That's just way too sensible. These TVs not being a necessity are purely frivolous. The larger they are the more frivolous. And two sets are better than one. You are clearly not worthy.

jk

Russ (another one)

post #11357 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
WUT?? That's just way too sensible. These TVs not being a necessity are purely frivolous. The larger they are the more frivolous. And two sets are better than one. You are clearly not worthy.

jk

She had a butter knife to my jugular when I typed that....she’s gone now though. Let’s start 2nd OLED shopping...joking!
RBO, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by Markalark; 01-09-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #11358 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
She had a butter knife to my jugular when I typed that....she’s gone now though. Let’s start 2nd OLED shopping...joking!

Even when out of sight they remain, "She who must be obeyed."
Markalark likes this.

Russ (another one)

post #11359 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:

Sensible advice. And there's also retirement to plan for, and it's always good to have a cushion of six month's worth of living expenses in case of unforeseeable events. Lots of folks nowadays seem to spend money as soon as they get it.

Now get off my lawn, doggonit!
calfcramp and Markalark like this.
post #11360 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr3BmsYCG_U

Actually I was that guy that had the box that looked it had been stabbed by a forklift and then dropped. screen was badly cracked and bent. my teenage son signed for it. he thought that maybe it was just the outside box that was damaged but even the inner Styrofoam was badly damaged. I was at work and he showed me the awful pictures. fortunately, I ordered thru amazon and they sent a replacement...no questions asked.. and it arrived perfect in about 36 hours from when I called. no return shipping fee or hassle. any shipper can damage a big box. I suspect the big box retailers have a certain amount of damaged goods that they return as its damaged, not just scratch and dent. my experience, buy from a reputable retailer and know the return policy ahead of time. And yeah, the set IS fantastic.
post #11361 of 22477 Old 01-09-2019, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I am in the market for a new TV and recently decided on the 77 C8. However, now that the C9 looks like it is going to be available soon, should I:

1. Just buy now. I can get a really good deal since a few newegg sellers are clearing out their C8 inventory. I may not get a match price, but confident I can get it down quite a bit from a local.
2. Wait to buy the C8 and see if the prices come down more
3. Hold off for the C9. Is it really worth the upgrade? My guess is it will be a few thousand more than what I will get the C8 for.

I use it for mostly home theater with some gaming.

Thanks for any thoughts.
post #11362 of 22477 Old 01-10-2019, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Guess so, problem is nothing is as good, only sets that can even comp[are are the Q9FN, Z9D, Z9F. That's the only choices we got.

I’m looking at the z9d now but CES has me wanting to wait for the new sets to hit...

Someone on reddit emailed LG about the ripples/waves. Their response was, “there is no fix for the ripples; it’s normal with our OLED models.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #11363 of 22477 Old 01-10-2019, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post
I’m looking at the z9d now but CES has me wanting to wait for the new sets to hit...

Someone on reddit emailed LG about the ripples/waves. Their response was, “there is no fix for the ripples; it’s normal with our OLED models.”

Ripples?
post #11364 of 22477 Old 01-10-2019, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartload View Post
Ripples?

Pictures from the user on reddit. My 77c8 wasn’t as bad as the pictures

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #11365 of 22477 Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Yeah, that doesn’t look good at all and I wouldn’t accept that.
post #11366 of 22477 Old 01-10-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:

I have nothing like that on my TV at all that I can see

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #11367 of 22477 Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Liked: 25
a little help with set up please

I have the LG C8 55 inch. I bought a Sony x700 4k player but I am having trouble with connecting it. I first tried connecting though my 8 year old Yamaha Aventage RX A1010 receiver. I later found that there was some pass through issue with the older receiver and 4K so it was suggested to connect the HDMI A/V output on the player directly into one of the TV's HDMI ports. Also that I could run an HDMI 2 (audio only) from the player into my receiver to get the full audio benefit Dolby etc. Well I have tried all the HDMI ports on the tv except the ARC ( which has all my other connections i.e Apple 4k and a video console which are working just fine through the receiver's HDMI out to the tv ARC HDMI). I took the console down to my 3 year old Sammy JS 8500 and it connected no problem and the setup screen for the player popped right up. On the LG I just get "no signal" box when I access the proper HDMI on the tv that I have connected the player to. I cant even access the setup screen for the player. what am I missing here or doing wrong? many thanks to all who respond.
post #11368 of 22477 Old 01-10-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
I have the LG C8 55 inch. I bought a Sony x700 4k player but I am having trouble with connecting it. I first tried connecting though my 8 year old Yamaha Aventage RX A1010 receiver. I later found that there was some pass through issue with the older receiver and 4K so it was suggested to connect the HDMI A/V output on the player directly into one of the TV's HDMI ports. Also that I could run an HDMI 2 (audio only) from the player into my receiver to get the full audio benefit Dolby etc. Well I have tried all the HDMI ports on the tv except the ARC ( which has all my other connections i.e Apple 4k and a video console which are working just fine through the receiver's HDMI out to the tv ARC HDMI). I took the console down to my 3 year old Sammy JS 8500 and it connected no problem and the setup screen for the player popped right up. On the LG I just get "no signal" box when I access the proper HDMI on the tv that I have connected the player to. I cant even access the setup screen for the player. what am I missing here or doing wrong? many thanks to all who respond.
Just quickly two things. One make sure that you are plugged into the right HDMI Out on the Sony X700 and two make sure that the HDMI cable is seated straight and secure in the socket. If it is crooked on the connector you will get this exact thing.Some of the newer HDMI cable have a new firmer hold connector on them and they require just a wee bit more push to seat.
pm dureska likes this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #11369 of 22477 Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

Ripples my a$$ that looks defective to me.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #11370 of 22477 Old 01-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
Your X700 is reading the HDMI capability data from the C8 and blasting the X700 interface at the full [email protected] The old HDMI cable you have is most probably not rated for that full 18gps signal. The older ones maxed out way before that. The same setup works on your old TV, because the HDMI capability data is different. Go back to Monoprice and pick up a Certified Premium High Speed Cable of the correct length.

Sorry about another delay for you to get your new C8 up and running beautiful video.
pm dureska and Glenee like this.

LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ920, Panasonic DP-UB820, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AT&T Gigabit Internet & U-verse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page