2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80723Likes

post #11431 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
[QUOTE=guitarguy316;57423398]
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Click upper left corner with magic remote
Is there an icon to click on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2307 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
[quote=curlyjive;57423412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post

Is there an icon to click on?
Nope - pretty simple just need to be in the general area. You can also hit the enter button which will bring up the HDMI port number you’re using when watching content, the hit enter again and you get the info you are looking for.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #11433 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 63
With LG blessing 2019 panels with Apple's AirPlay 2 some owners are pressuring LG to bring the compatibility to older sets including 2018 models; this is in contrast to Samsung and Visio who have said that they will upgrade older models even going back to 2017. There is even a petition

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19...-compatibility

Haven't seen anyone else bring this up but I might have missed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11434 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J__Chris View Post
With LG blessing 2019 panels with Apple's AirPlay 2 some owners are pressuring LG to bring the compatibility to older sets including 2018 models; this is in contrast to Samsung and Visio who have said that will upgrade older models even going back to 2017. There is even a petition

I am a ATV user, as are many owners since our displays and the ATV work so well together, so it’s not something I’m getting excited about. More importantly it wasn’t part of the original specs or promised by LG, new models get new features, so while it would be a nice perk I don’t get the pressure. LCDs makers have to do something different since we’ve got the superior picture - by far

Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #11435 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
I am a ATV user, as are many owners since our displays and the ATV work so well together, so it’s not something I’m getting excited about. More importantly it wasn’t part of the original specs or promised by LG, new models get new features, so while it would be a nice perk I don’t get the pressure. LCDs makers have to do something different since we’ve got the superior picture - by far
That really isn't the point, Samsung and Vizio will upgrade their older TV's and I like Apple but don't want to spend at least $150 on ATV.
post #11436 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Just got my 65 c8 today.

Is there a way to show the current input information such as resolution and sdr or hdr? I realize Netflix has removed this from their app, but what about for cable box, uhd player, ect?
Click the Up arrow and then press the scroll wheel. If that doesn't work spin the wheel which will bring up the cursor then move it to the top left and click.

Netflix did not remove anything from their app. LG just stubbornly refuses to put a simple Info button on their remote. I've had this issue going back to my 2014 LCD. My Sony TV has a Display button that shows the Netflix info.

The only way to get in on LG is to use their remote control app on your phone, or with a third party remote.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #11437 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That really isn't the point, Samsung and Vizio will upgrade their older TV's and I like Apple but don't want to spend at least $150 on ATV.
Maybe we will get lucky, but you missed my point that it was never promised. LG likely doesn’t feel the need to remove an incentive (abet small one IMO) for some to upgrade to the 9 series. We also don’t know if there is some chip limitation - remember LG develops their own which is one reason they have beat everyone to “full” 2.1 in 2019. So no one really has anything they can complain about. If you can afford an OLED, an ATV4k shouldn’t break the bank and it can save you $ in other ways. I continue to be impressed with the combo, look for deals or someone selling used. Worth it just for DV. Back to enjoying my display.

post #11438 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Maybe we will get lucky, but you missed my point that it was never promised. LG likely doesn’t feel the need to remove an incentive (abet small one IMO) for some to upgrade to the 9 series. We also don’t know if there is some chip limitation - remember LG develops their own which is one reason they have beat everyone to “full” 2.1 in 2019. So no one really has anything they can complain about. If you can afford an OLED, an ATV4k shouldn’t break the bank and it can save you $ in other ways. I continue to be impressed with the combo, look for deals or someone selling used. Worth it just for DV. Back to enjoying my display.
The "point" is that Samsung and Vizio never promised that that they would add AirPlay 2 either. But they are providing an update to the older purchasers and consumers of their TV's, this point should not be debatable.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by J__Chris; 01-11-2019 at 08:03 PM.
post #11439 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogems1 View Post
The way I read the original request was they want to be able to turn the TV on, and use the built-in apps for things like Netflix, without ever having to see the "No input" message. At least to the way I interpreted the question, that didn't involve launching another app, unless somewhere in the gallery app is an option to remove the no signal message even when not using the gallery app.
Correct this I was meaning, thank you
post #11440 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2081 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post
How can to turn off the annoying notification that doesn’t detect signal on hdmi 1 ? I prefer to use the streaming services of the tv.
Quote:
I was hoping to have the gallery mode without the annoying message “no input found”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
I don't know what original request you read.
The first one above which provides context for the follow-up.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #11441 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The "point" is that Samsung and Vizio never promised that that they would add AirPlay 2 either. But they are providing an update to the older purchasers and consumers of their TV's, this point should not be debatable.
You are correct facts are not debatable. It is a fact that Samsung and Vizio are updating older models. And it is a fact that LG isn't. If you don't like this fact you can sign the petition and/or vote with your dollars and not buy LG. But I don't see what complaining about it here accomplishes.
smurraybhm and Markalark like this.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #11442 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is a 55 inch big enough to feel like cinema? Right now Im probably 13 feet away with the bottom of the screen an inch above my eyeline.
post #11443 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomofSpeaker View Post
Is a 55 inch big enough to feel like cinema? Right now Im probably 13 feet away with the bottom of the screen an inch above my eyeline.
To truly feel like a cinema at 13 feet the minimum recommended screen size is 100 inches.

No I am not joking.
tanman and calfcramp like this.

post #11444 of 21613 Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 PM

I just took it out of the box and plugged it into my cable box. Im noticing on sports (edit, everything, except it comes and goes), there's a quick stuttering sometimes on slow motion replays, or right before a camera cut. Or when 3D graphics play out, like an ESPN logo assembling and reassembling, the image slows down for a second then speeds up. Is this normal? Especially before camera cuts, especially during action scenes, it stutters badly.

Also how do you get rid of the red dot from the remote on the screen? And how do you see if HDR is on or what settings are on on the TV? And is it OK to change those early on owning the TV?

Edit: might be I have a weak signal for comcast here? They put in a signal booster but still said I dont have the strongest signal. I get both cable and internet through comcast. I tried cable through comcast TV box at 1080p, it went back and forth between steady movement, if at times making me wonder if the motion chip in the TV is just bad (but then other times, during animated stuff like ready player one action scene, looked just fantastic, but idk if its fair to judge off animated stuff?), to stuttering. Then I went through amazon streaking straight into the TV, which seems to be a stronger signal for me than the cable box, and at 4K i got constant stutter, at 1080p none, making me think the cable box signal is strong enough to do 1080p sometimes, but then slows down and starts stuttering (could this damage the TV? Please advise), while the internet signal is strong enough to do 1080p all the time, but not 4k at all without stuttering).

But even at 1080p through the internet, Im still getting it during fast movement, or a camera cut.

Also, I plugged it into hdmi port #4 by mistake, instead of #1. Could that be the problem?

Last edited by FreedomofSpeaker; 01-11-2019 at 11:41 PM.
post #11445 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 12:21 AM

Just to TL;DR, I opened up and started using the TV, and I got slowing/speeding up choppyness/stuttering/freezing on xfinity live TV, DVR, and on demand, I got constant stuttering on amazon streaming at 4k straight through xfinity internet into the TV, and the only halfway watchable content is amazon at 1080p, which doesnt speed up and then slow like xfinity cable, or stutter very visibly constantly and steadily like amazon at 4k, but which has minor consistent stutter at 1080p. When things are moving slow, it generally looks great 1080p amazon, but anything moves fast and it you can see it stuttering like a flipbook.

Is this the TV or my signal? The picture also looks unnatural at times, pixelated faces, image noise, sort of an artificial hotel TV look to the faces sometimes. Landscapes, effects, and animated stuff looks amazing until it moves, then the stuttering/motion issues rear their ugly head. What do I need to do to either fix the issue, or determine if the TV is the problem or the signal? And if it's the signal, is the TV at risk of being damaged from continuing to watch it before the signal is fixed? (NFL playoffs are tomorrow, comcast tech probably cant get here until days from now, etc).

Last edited by FreedomofSpeaker; 01-12-2019 at 12:29 AM.
post #11446 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Just to TL;DR, I opened up and started using the TV, and I got slowing/speeding up choppyness/stuttering/freezing on xfinity live TV, DVR, and on demand, I got constant stuttering on amazon streaming at 4k straight through xfinity internet into the TV, and the only halfway watchable content is amazon at 1080p, which doesnt speed up and then slow like xfinity cable, or stutter very visibly constantly and steadily like amazon at 4k, but which has minor consistent stutter at 1080p. When things are moving slow, it generally looks great 1080p amazon, but anything moves fast and it you can see it stuttering like a flipbook.

Is this the TV or my signal? The picture also looks unnatural at times, pixelated faces, image noise, sort of an artificial hotel TV look to the faces sometimes. Landscapes, effects, and animated stuff looks amazing until it moves, then the stuttering/motion issues rear their ugly head. What do I need to do to either fix the issue, or determine if the TV is the problem or the signal? And if it's the signal, is the TV at risk of being damaged from continuing to watch it before the signal is fixed? (NFL playoffs are tomorrow, comcast tech probably cant get here until days from now, etc).
Turn off motion eye care and the auto brightness stuff. Set input to technicolor mode, increase oled light to your liking.

Whatever picture mode you use turn off trumotion and the eye care/auto brightness first.

Or go to rtings.com and follow their settings.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #11447 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4858 Post(s)
Liked: 7149
Quote:
Correct this I was meaning, thank you
Ok. Did you see my post yesterday which has a picture which answers this? You haven't replied to it, you've only replied to an argument about what your question was!

There's no way for the Gallery app to have an option to remove the "no signal" message when there's no signal. This is because the "no signal" message is NOT running the damn Gallery app! (That is the answer to @aerogems1 's point). The TV is running the "No Signal" app (a screen, but I'll call it an app to make it clearer - actually everything is an "app" in WebOS) which would have to do that.

The entire purpose of the "No Signal" app is to alert you to the problem/error that you have selected a HDMI input and you're not getting a signal. This absolutely definitely must have the "No Signal" message, that is its raison d'être !

There WILL be times that your TV has no signal. When this happens, LG allows you to choose between
  • "No signal message with a black background", or
  • "No signal message, but also display the pictures from the Gallery App's directory, and NB this is not 'running the real Gallery App' ".

Those are the ONLY two options
for "no signal". There is no "don't display a message, but instead, run the Gallery App" option.

If at other times you want to see the beautiful pictures in the Gallery App (along with - optionally - the music, or your own music), it's really simple: you just run the Gallery App!

If you don't want to see the "no signal" screen - in either of its two forms - all you have to do is don't select a HDMI input which isn't sending a signal to the TV. If you are using internal apps, this is pretty easy.

I repeat my recommendation for the other themes, which are downloadable as shown below. I have my Gallery App set to Quick Access 7, so when I hold down "7" on the remote it instantly runs Gallery. You've probably only seen a tiny fraction of them - the "no signal" App only accesses one directory.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gallery Themes.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2509662  
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 01-12-2019 at 04:33 AM.
post #11448 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Definitely not. I am 12' away from a 65" tv and it doesn't feel like cinema.
rkammer likes this.
post #11449 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4858 Post(s)
Liked: 7149
I don't want to feel as if I'm in a cinema. That means people talking throughout the film, people kicking the back of my chair, getting up in the middle of it, talking again, using mobile phones, and all the other things which make the cinema a horrible experience for those of us who actually paid to be there because we want to watch the film.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #11450 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all,

I just picked up the 65 C8 today. I love love love the picture but I do have one issue. My TV is on an entertainment center, we are not allowed to mount it to the walls. I have a Vizio sound bar that is almost the width of the TV so of course it had to sit right in front of the IR sensor. Is there any way I can get around that so I can turn my TV on and off without having to go buy new speakers? Thank you.
post #11451 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by birish21 View Post
Hey all,

I just picked up the 65 C8 today. I love love love the picture but I do have one issue. My TV is on an entertainment center, we are not allowed to mount it to the walls. I have a Vizio sound bar that is almost the width of the TV so of course it had to sit right in front of the IR sensor. Is there any way I can get around that so I can turn my TV on and off without having to go buy new speakers? Thank you.
Tabletop mount. I just bought this one (Fitueyes) for a different TV and I'm very satisfied.
https://www.amazon.com/Fitueyes-Univ.../dp/B018I1XTFU
post #11452 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by birish21 View Post
Hey all,

You could also use what I believe is called an IR Repeater to send the remote signal to your soundbar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11453 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
That really isn't the point[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG], Samsung and Vizio will upgrade their older TV's and I like Apple but don't want to spend at least $150 on ATV.
I myself use the firestick, I like the fact I can ad third party apps......
I had an amazon fire tv 2nd gen box. But it just can’t compare to the Apple TV. Amazons latest 4K boxes and sticks also just don’t compare I feel. Everything I had on the fire tv I have on my Apple TV. Mrmc takes the place of kodi and everything else mainstream is there in the apple App Store.
post #11454 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Quote:
Just got my 65 c8 today.

Is there a way to show the current input information such as resolution and sdr or hdr? I realize Netflix has removed this from their app, but what about for cable box, uhd player, ect?
Click the Up arrow and then press the scroll wheel. If that doesn't work spin the wheel which will bring up the cursor then move it to the top left and click.

Netflix did not remove anything from their app. LG just stubbornly refuses to put a simple Info button on their remote. I've had this issue going back to my 2014 LCD.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG] My Sony TV has a Display button that shows the Netflix info.

The only way to get in on LG is to use their remote control app on your phone, or with a third party remote.
Thanks! Would have never figured that out. How do you use the app to get Netflix info?
post #11455 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! Would have never figured that out. How do you use the app to get Netflix info?
On the TV go to Network > LG Connect Apps and turn it On. On your phone download LG TV Plus. Make sure they are on the same wifi and the TV is turned on. Launch the app and press Connect Now. You can now control your TV from your phone including an Info button that works in Netflix.

post #11456 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Quote:
On the TV go to Network > LG Connect Apps and turn it On. On your phone download LG TV Plus. Make sure they are on the same wifi and the TV is turned on. Launch the app and press Connect Now. You can now control your TV from your phone including an Info button that works in Netflix.
Yeah I did that last night but the info button didn't do anything. Will try again.
post #11457 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Has anyone connected slingTV from one location to another? Also has anyone tried Skype app on this TV?
post #11458 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Been watching more content on my C8 and it is truly a beautiful set. If my set didn't have a red tint, if motion was improved, and if lip-sync issues were fixed, it would be the perfect TV. Maybe I should have gone with the A9F but still happy with the LG since it was almost half the price.
calfcramp likes this.
post #11459 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
With LG blessing 2019 panels with Apple's AirPlay 2 some owners are pressuring LG to bring the compatibility to older sets including 2018 models; this is in contrast to Samsung and Visio who have said that they will upgrade older models even going back to 2017. There is even a petition

Good point if you don't want to spend more money on a new ATV. But, the processing power is what makes the ATV shine. I am more curious how the PQ will turn out accessing iTunes movies through a TV, for example, as compared to streaming the movies directly through the ATV.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #11460 of 21613 Old 01-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
You could also use what I believe is called an IR Repeater to send the remote signal to your soundbar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This works well; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LG OLED77"C8, OPPO UDP-203, Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP, TiVo Bolt VOX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page